Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Does anyone know where I can download the the thing that I can see the caches on google earth? I had it before but with new computer I can not find it on geocaching now. Anyone know where?

Try the "My Account" page about half-way down on the right side.

Download Geocache browser in Google Earth

*About Google Earth KML

Link: http://www.geocaching.com/kml/buildnetworkkml.aspx

Edited by Photom

CVC appears to have a new dilemma [guess who designed it!]... The newest cache in Tracy, Ca (vastly uncluttered by Geocaches) is the focal point to the problem. Here's how it goes.

The 'FTF Prize' is only given to the Forth To Find! That means the First To Find gets bragging rights, the 2nd and 3rd to find find out they're too early on only get to enjoy the pleasurable adventure, then the 5th to find realizes they're too late - but still get the same joy as others.

871.gif

So how would someone wanting one of the original Green Achers Glowing Benchmark coins assure they get the precious? That's the dilemma! [Members only (to encourage others to contribute to the Geocaching gods).]

Hey Mike!

Yep. I've scared most everyone away. Pat and Jaimee still monitor this thread but from their homestead in Missouri. Ron's still hiking around but doesn't play with us any more. Matt, George and Mary are all too busy to cache anymore. Randy and his wife found other activities.

But the crew that are now here are tops! (Don't tell them I said that because it would be used against me). Everyone gets along well and we're all fun loving. The last Gathering that we had, someone died but we don't mind. (It was a Murder Mystery Dinner Train).

I hope you and your family are doing well. Sorry that I won't be seeing you this year at the Air Races.

Help with PDF files. ok I just bought the premium membership and with my Palm Treo documents to go is not compatible with Windows Vista. Anyone know of another way to read PDF on a palm Treo? or another program I can purchase? Thanks for your time. Greg

Instead of PDF files get cachemate and import the GPX into a cachemate file using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Cachemate is like 8 or 9 bucks and the GSAK is free but you get annoying reminders that you can support them. so for , I think, $15 you can get the keystring to put into it and not have the pop ups AND get better support fromt he creatopr.

www.smittyware.com/intro/cachemate/ cachemate can be found at the previous URL

And GSAK is at GSAK.NET

(tried making hyperlinks but they didn't seem to work right for me today)

Help with PDF files. ok I just bought the premium membership and with my Palm Treo documents to go is not compatible with Windows Vista. Anyone know of another way to read PDF on a palm Treo? or another program I can purchase? Thanks for your time. Greg

Instead of PDF files get cachemate and import the GPX into a cachemate file using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Cachemate is like 8 or 9 bucks and the GSAK is free but you get annoying reminders that you can support them. so for , I think, $15 you can get the keystring to put into it and not have the pop ups AND get better support fromt he creatopr.

www.smittyware.com/intro/cachemate/ cachemate can be found at the previous URL

And GSAK is at GSAK.NET

(tried making hyperlinks but they didn't seem to work right for me today)

Is there a good way to learn this GSAK. I downloaded it once before but could never figure it out. Greg

Been at it since earlier. Greg

Hey Greg, Glad to hear you've joined the Treo world. Welcome. What do you want PDF files to do? Pocket Queries are GPX and LOC. Those you need to convert which is well explained on the programs listed above.

To answer your question about PDF use/conversion, we need to know if you have a Palm base Treo or Windows (eg 700P vs 700W). Anyway, a quick Google will bring you more guidance than you'd ever need. Just make sure you include your model in the search cue.

BTW, Google Map Mobile is a MUST HAVE. It doesn't use GPS nor interact with one but is otherwise one of the best for Routing, Business Directory, Phone Book, Live Time Traffic Reports, etc. Good stuff!

Quick Install for Treo (palm) Just so you all know Quick install from palm at this time is not compatible with Microsoft Vista. So I am not sure how I can get this all to work till they come up with a fix. Thanks for all your helps.... Greg

OK now I figured out a way to do it. I emailed it to myself and installed it that way... I just thought I would put this here so if any of you are having same problem

Quick Install for Treo (palm) Just so you all know Quick install from palm at this time is not compatible with Microsoft Vista. So I am not sure how I can get this all to work till they come up with a fix. Thanks for all your helps.... Greg

OK now I figured out a way to do it. I emailed it to myself and installed it that way... I just thought I would put this here so if any of you are having same problem

I am on XP so I don't have that problem..... BUT you could also jsut use your PC to put the file onto an SD card then import to your Treo that way.

How's everyone in the CVC area doing? Haven't been here in a while. I have a question for everyone. Is Lee from Team Alamo ok. I noticed he hasn't cached in almost a month.

Also, good job Bill on "eyeleveleye".

Hi Team Tek and welcome back! The last time I saw Lee (on the Murder Mystery Train event) - he seemed fine. We chatted a bit but he didn't mention taking a trip or taking some time off.

Reminder that the MAC EVENT, S'Mores and Snores II is just 3 weeks away. Just in case everyone did not notice, you do not have to camp to attend the event.

The Saturday gathering is a regular half-day event with a pot luck lunch (please note what you are bringing), fellowship, some caching fun, and perhaps a CITO to a nearby island. (The CITO depends on whether anyone brings a boat and will play taxi!) There is a cache on the island that has not been found for about 5 years...

See: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-581cfdd40fb6

:rolleyes::blink:

Edited by Photom

I'm hoping to go, Tom. It should be a fun time. B)

I noticed one of Tom's caches is doing hard time. They built a fence around it so now I guess the difficulty rating should be raised. :( And can you imagine what they'll think when they find it in their secured yard?! :)

But really... Sorry, Tom. I hope you'll relocate the cache - even though you can't get it.

I noticed one of Tom's caches is doing hard time. They built a fence around it so now I guess the difficulty rating should be raised. :mad: And can you imagine what they'll think when they find it in their secured yard?! :D

But really... Sorry, Tom. I hope you'll relocate the cache - even though you can't get it.

As luck would have it, an "inside spy" help the jailed cache break out. He or she is bringing it to "S'Mores and Snores" for me. It's nice to have friends in the right places.

BTW, I do plan to do another "Hidden in the Picture" soon. But since BOGA VERY SELDOM gets this far south, the FTF should go to someone else. :(

ea7ee6b3-f9cb-41c0-b745-87f5d3691e2b.jpg

RATTLESNAKE ALERT

A small rattlesnake was found Saturday in a tree at the site of S'Mores and Snores (a MAC event next weekend). We were hoping we could get it and save it as a pet for BOGA, but the rangers took it to a new home. Maybe he has a brother there though.... :mad:

Keep playing with those snake, Tom, and we'll be finding caches in YOUR grave yard! :D My neighbor found a rather large (and well fed) gopher snake... with his lawn mower! Man, was that a mess! ;)

So why so many rattlers this year? I had one reported at one of my caches (that Photom needs to find) and I had to move a large rattler at a Livermore cache. Is this a normal year for their population or what?

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Has everyone seen that the UTAH STATE PARKS is celebrating their 50th anniversary by hosting caches in each of the state parks?

e7a4d308-e257-4dda-ab90-cce1f53e680b.jpg

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...Utah+State+Park

Also try a search for caches hidden by username "Utah State Parks" where you will find 46 caches.

This is so neat to see that the Utah State Park system not only supports geocaching, but also proactive in supporting the sport! The RANGERS are actually maintaing the caches by keeping them up to date and with swag in the caches.

I hope the California State Park folks see this and do something similar! My experiences so far is that the California State Parks and the East Bay Regional Parks either "tolerate" or actually "discourage" the sport.

I for one will send a note to the Utah State Parks applauding their approach. :cool::cool:

Edited by Photom

Fun often flees from geocachers based on fleeting comments left in cache logs or emails to owners. It would be such a shame to let someone else ruin your game. So instead of taking even the slightest offense at some of the above from Delhi Delight (GCZ50V). I will throw down the playful gauntlet to MAC and CVC cachers.

Now I don’t mean to sound boastful, but some things are just indisputable facts. Delhi Delight is the most delightful, most fun, most challenging, and most innovative geocache in Delhi. (By the way, Microsoft Streets and Trips places Mc Connell State Park in Ballico.)

So I challenge any MAC or CVC cacher to displace Delhi Delight as Delhi’s #1 superlative cache.

Fun often flees from geocachers based on fleeting comments left in cache logs or emails to owners. It would be such a shame to let someone else ruin your game. So instead of taking even the slightest offense at some of the above from Delhi Delight (GCZ50V). I will throw down the playful gauntlet to MAC and CVC cachers.

Now I don’t mean to sound boastful, but some things are just indisputable facts. Delhi Delight is the most delightful, most fun, most challenging, and most innovative geocache in Delhi. (By the way, Microsoft Streets and Trips places Mc Connell State Park in Ballico.)

So I challenge any MAC or CVC cacher to displace Delhi Delight as Delhi’s #1 superlative cache.

Sounds like this one is something special! I plan on going north tomorrow, and I hope I can stop in Delhi to look for this "delightful" cache. :o

By the way, it was also a pleasure to visit with you and your family at the recent event.

Now I don’t mean to sound boastful, but some things are just indisputable facts. Delhi Delight is the most delightful, most fun, most challenging, and most innovative geocache in Delhi.

Since this is the ONLY cache in Delhi I suppose your superlative-filled description is technically accurate, if not very informative. (Were you ever in sales? Time-share condos maybe?) :sad: Anyway, I'd love to visit this cache, but since it sits on the southern edge of the known world I don't expect to be in the area anytime soon. :drama: But then again, who knows! :sad:

OH MY GOSH!! Have you seen the changes on cache pages?? The latest upgrade has some nifty new features. I especially like photos embedded in the logs and counts of happy and sad faces. There may be other new things but I haven't discovered them all yet. :D

Yes, it's really a wonderful upgrade to the site. Makes the cache pages, especially the events, even better. B)B)

Is no one worried about poor tag? Looks like CVC cachers should be responsible for launching a search and rescue. Or are you all tied up trying to guide the whales back to the bay? Surely someone can spare a boat to search for tag. :laughing:

I was busy in Los Banos this evening, plus I wouldn't know what to do with a boat. So there is my excuse. :anicute:

I heard that... TED! :P

Sorry that things are busy. I'll update Tag but expect someone to get her this weekend!

As far as TB's and Gatherings - I'm thinking about either never allowing them at my future events or coming up with some kind of vault systems that will require finger printing, background checks, photo records, license plate recording. :tired: I can't believe how many TB's are lost every time and hate all my lost time trying to find them.

New cache pages??? I can hardly wait to see. :anicute:

I need someones help. I thought I took two of the travel bugs off of the Mystery Train page and loged that I have them. But I did not I put one out the other day in Bakersfield and it will not let me take them off now. ANyone have any Ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks Greg

I need someones help. I thought I took two of the travel bugs off of the Mystery Train page and loged that I have them. But I did not I put one out the other day in Bakersfield and it will not let me take them off now. ANyone have any Ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks Greg

When you go to "My Account" - what does it show in the right-hand column under "My Inventory"???

:)

[Thank you for all your help. I got them off the mystery train and put the one where I put it last weekend. and going to do some serious caching this weekend. Maybe run into some of you out there this weekend. Or if anyone wants to join me let me know.

Thanks Nascar for working on this and to Tom and Bev for helping resolve the problem. I really feel awful about all the TB's that are lost at my gatherings so seeing wayward TB get back into play is a burden off my back.

I'm truly thinking about a finger printing (and possibly using mug shots) for anyone taking Travel Bugs at my next gathering (when ever that may happen). I hate to treat people like that but can't stand to see the little TB's getting lost every single time.

---

FizzyMagic and I have teamed up for the GBES Navigational Rally this year. We're keeping race number that I've carried all three previous years... #12. Our team name??? Quantum-Leaf :rolleyes:

FizzyMagic and I have teamed up for the GBES Navigational Rally this year. We're keeping race number that I've carried all three previous years... #12. Our team name??? Quantum-Leaf :D

Look forward to meeting you! This will be our first year in the rally! Mr.Lost will be driving my grocery getter :rolleyes: We requested 1/3 as our number :D Thought it was funny at the time!

Thanks Nascar for working on this and to Tom and Bev for helping resolve the problem. I really feel awful about all the TB's that are lost at my gatherings so seeing wayward TB get back into play is a burden off my back.

I'm truly thinking about a finger printing (and possibly using mug shots) for anyone taking Travel Bugs at my next gathering (when ever that may happen). I hate to treat people like that but can't stand to see the little TB's getting lost every single time.

---

FizzyMagic and I have teamed up for the GBES Navigational Rally this year. We're keeping race number that I've carried all three previous years... #12. Our team name??? Quantum-Leaf :D

As a volunteer - I'll be manning one of the checkpoints (I assume.) I'll try really hard to record accurate times for this team, but I may be laughing too hard to do a good job. :D:rolleyes:

Look forward to meeting you! This will be our first year in the rally! Mr.Lost will be driving my grocery getter :D We requested 1/3 as our number B) Thought it was funny at the time!

I love your fraction! LOL. See you there.

As a volunteer - I'll be manning one of the checkpoints (I assume.) I'll try really hard to record accurate times for this team, but I may be laughing too hard to do a good job. :D:D

Laughing at me?!? No. I never race with my bubba teeth in. :rolleyes:

This year will be possibly funny though. My driver for the past three years has been grounded and not able to play. That puts me at the helm and Fizzy doing the calcs. Sound promise to add a little humor... Ever see someone use a slide rule while dashing drown a dirt road?! :P