Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hey gang,

Did you attend Oktoberfest! In Atwater??

Did you pick up one or more travel bugs?

Now the most important question..... Did you LOG your TB grabs??

(There are still quite a few listed as being there, but I brought home an EMPTY hotel!) :P;)

We had a blast (as always)! I think I haven't logged the TB I grabbed yet (nor a few caches that I found a few weeks ago). It's on the list of things to do.

Great job on the Event and the Feast!! :D

:P:):) Nutlady...is your coin ready yet????

A huge NEIN. Sample coins held by customs right now. Im not willing to order coins till I see them.

Now Im struggling with price. I was going to sell at $8, but I reconsidered .....as paypal will get a cut.

So, Im thinking $8.50. $1.50 first coin shipping, .50 each after, and .50 if you want a pin.

Does that sound reasonable to folks? Its 1.75, 3-d. trackable, icon.

Sandra

by 2 for the road (1163 found)

It's a good thing we were in the neighborhood today and could rescue Tag who was in a perilous situation and in grave danger of being killed by gardeners.

We will place Tag again soon in a much safer spot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

WoW! Sounds like TAG was nearly under a truck tire once again. Talk about De Javu.

To reduce stress, shouldn't TAG be allowed to take a trip to settle down?

Anyone going anywhere where he could wind down a bit? :P

:P:):) Nutlady...is your coin ready yet????

A huge NEIN. Sample coins held by customs right now. Im not willing to order coins till I see them.

Now Im struggling with price. I was going to sell at $8, but I reconsidered .....as paypal will get a cut.

So, Im thinking $8.50. $1.50 first coin shipping, .50 each after, and .50 if you want a pin.

Does that sound reasonable to folks? Its 1.75, 3-d. trackable, icon.

Sandra

Reasonable? I have no idea, but I want 3....Good Luck.....

by 2 for the road (1163 found)

It's a good thing we were in the neighborhood today and could rescue Tag who was in a perilous situation and in grave danger of being killed by gardeners.

We will place Tag again soon in a much safer spot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

WoW! Sounds like TAG was nearly under a truck tire once again. Talk about De Javu.

To reduce stress, shouldn't TAG be allowed to take a trip to settle down?

Anyone going anywhere where he could wind down a bit? <_<

Once upon a time there was a farmer, who planted a seed.........................

In case you're interested, it sounds like they're going to bring back EarthCaches.

I was looking for some near us and found a note with the following guidelines...

EarthCache Guidelines

1. EarthCaches must provide earth science lessons. They take people to sites that can help explain the formation of landscapes or to sites of interesting phenomena such as folds, faults, intrusions or reveal how scientists understand our Earth (such as fossil sites etc.)

2. EarthCaches must be educational. They provide accurate but simple explanations of what visitors will experience at the site. Cache notes must be submitted and assume no previous knowledge of earth science. The educational notes must be written to a reading age of an upper middle school (14 year old) student. Additional technical or scientific notes can be provided for the scientific community. Please note appropriate place on the submittal form for the technical notes. All notes can be submitted in the local language but must also be in English.

3. EarthCaches can be a single site, or a multiple virtual cache. No items, box, or physical cache can be left at the site.

4. EarthCaches follow all the Waymarking and geocaching principles and adhere to the principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics. Use waypoints to ensure cachers take appropriate pathways. Use established trails only. Do not create new trails to a site in order to concentrate use impacts. EarthCaches will highlight the principle of collect photos - not samples. However, if there is no possible damage to a site which is outside of the public land system and approved by the site owner, small samples may be collected as part of the cache experience.

5. Logging of EarthCaches must involve visitors undertaking some educational task. This could involve them measuring or estimating the size of some feature or aspect of the site, collecting and recording some data (such as time of a tidal bore), or searching and sending via email to the developer, some fact that they find from signage. Developers should try to involve visitors in learning from the site … rather than just logging a visit. Logs should show that the visitors have 'learnt' by visiting your EarthCache.

6. EarthCaches developed on private and public land must have prior approval of the landowners before submission. EarthCaches developed in association with National Parks, National Forests, or other public lands are encouraged. These must have verbal or written approval with the appropriate land-managing agency. The name and contact details of the person from who you received approval MUST be given.

7. All EarthCaches must be approved by GSA (to ensure appropriateness of the site and educational standard of the notes) before they can be submitted for approval via this website.

8. The Geological Society of America retains the right to edit, modify, delete or archive any EarthCache that does not adhere to these guidelines, or for any other purpose, including for the promotion of sponsors for the EarthCache program.

Once upon a time there was a farmer, who planted a seed.........................

Forrrrrrrrrrr every seen I sow,

I know a tree will grow.

And there will be, an apple tree,

for every one in the world to see,

the Lord is good to me!

Johnny Appleseed. Am I right??? :blink:

I used to love that song (and story) as a child..May have to look for it for the youngest geocacher in our group.

CVC Tag!!! wherefore art thou?

OH NO!! Not another trip!! BOGA's not keeping track once again. And just about when his probation should end. Maybe there will be another trial at the MAC May event; if so, this time he should get a lifetime of probation. :laughing::laughing:

Poor Bill...Always taking abuse from so many in this forum...If I were you, I would just pack-up and create a REALLY evil code cache to make them pay for picking on you so much! :laughing:

I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Photom for helping me get to the paperless level of caching. I recently spent a week in Texas and it was terrific to be able to find a cache in the area and not have a gazillion papers to shuffle. Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :laughing:

Wow, Im jelous! I think! :unsure: I tried learning the ropes some months back. Palm thingie still sitting here collecting dust. Programs installed in my old crank start CPU.....but I never could connect the final dots.......

Im embarrased to admit how many trees I have killed since Ive started this. :blink:

Bill introduced us to paperless caching a couple of years ago. I can't imagine caching without it anymore! (Although I do remember all of the binders of caches I used to carry around with me!!) :laughing:

Congrats on your "find"!

I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Photom for helping me get to the paperless level of caching. I recently spent a week in Texas and it was terrific to be able to find a cache in the area and not have a gazillion papers to shuffle. Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :unsure:

Bill introduced us to paperless caching a couple of years ago. I can't imagine caching without it anymore! (Although I do remember all of the binders of caches I used to carry around with me!!) :unsure:

Congrats on your "find"!

I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Photom for helping me get to the paperless level of caching. I recently spent a week in Texas and it was terrific to be able to find a cache in the area and not have a gazillion papers to shuffle. Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :blink:

Thanks, Tim! I owe it all to Tom.

And, yeah, we had binders galore of all areas we liked to cache. No more! This high tech stuff is great. :laughing:

Bill introduced us to paperless caching a couple of years ago. I can't imagine caching without it anymore! (Although I do remember all of the binders of caches I used to carry around with me!!) :unsure:

Congrats on your "find"!

I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Photom for helping me get to the paperless level of caching. I recently spent a week in Texas and it was terrific to be able to find a cache in the area and not have a gazillion papers to shuffle. Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :blink:

Thanks, Tim! I owe it all to Tom.

And, yeah, we had binders galore of all areas we liked to cache. No more! This high tech stuff is great. :laughing:

My Palm is no longer working at all.... it kind of sucks having to print out papers after being digital for so long.

I am thinking of going out and getting one of those Palm treo's like Bill has so I can kill 2 of my new needs in one shot. (time for a new phone also.)

I do love having a Treo. Paperless caching is the only way to go (and it's often handy to have wireless internet on your hip too). At this point, if I lost my PDA (and Treo - shutter)... I'd go buy another PDA. You couldn't force me back to the paper-pile-practise again. Every hour I spent making paperless work was well worth the investment!!

I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Photom for helping me get to the paperless level of caching. I recently spent a week in Texas and it was terrific to be able to find a cache in the area and not have a gazillion papers to shuffle. Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :D

You are certainly welcome.

There's even more you can do. For example - for the combination of a Magellan Explorist GPS and a Pocket PC running GPX Sonar, I have a macro that downloads several files to both units with a single click (using GSAK.)

I have queries for these areas auto download from geocaching.com and create hit list for these cities:

Carmichael

Citrus_Heights

Clovis

Elk_Grove

Fair_Oaks

Folsom

Fresno

Herndon

Lake_Natoma

Livermore

Lodi

Los_Banos

Madera

Merced

Modesto

North_Highlands

Oakdale

Rancho_Cordova

Reedley

Ripon

Roseville

Sacramento

Sanger

South_Sacramento

Stockton

Turlock

==================

I have another macro that asks you for a zip code, then downloads the nearest 160 caches for that zip to both units. Once again, you need a query setup to gather the data into GSAK.

==================

I'm sure the concept could easily be modified to wotk with Garmin units and Palm Cachemate.

If anyone uses GSAK and is interested in these queries, please let me know.

Has anyone noticed a rise in coin and TB pinching lately? What's with that? I just had a coin STOLEN, can't think of a more polite term, after only one person had had it. I'd saved it for over a year before deciding to share it, so I gave it to a friend and she placed it in a Bay area cache and it was gone in days with no logs. I know of a number of coins missing from local caches, too. It's a downer and I guess I just won't do coins or TB's any longer since they all get pinched. Makes me sad about the caching community. It seems like there are always a few bad eggs who ruin everything for the rest of us. :D

Has anyone noticed a rise in coin and TB pinching lately? What's with that? I just had a coin STOLEN, can't think of a more polite term, after only one person had had it. I'd saved it for over a year before deciding to share it, so I gave it to a friend and she placed it in a Bay area cache and it was gone in days with no logs. I know of a number of coins missing from local caches, too. It's a downer and I guess I just won't do coins or TB's any longer since they all get pinched. Makes me sad about the caching community. It seems like there are always a few bad eggs who ruin everything for the rest of us. :D

Yes - it is sad. I just checked the Oktoberfest page to fnd there are 5 TB's and 1 geocoin still in residence. That's not exactly the same as stealing them, but it does show a lack of attention or laziness perhaps.

Seems like some folks keep the coins even when the coin's instructions clearly say to keep them moving.

I also think swag has gotten more junky than it was a few months ago, at least here in our area. I did some caching in New England this summer and found they have way fewer "log only" type caches as well as much better swag.

I know what you mean, it seems like different areas or states have better swag and cache etiquette.

We used to carry a big bag of cache swag with us and we'd always improve the caches we found if they contained a lot of broken or dirty junk. Now it seems like most of the caches we find are micros, so it's not necessary.

We have one TB left, and it's in Europe, and it's been going strong for a while now, never a problem. But all of our US TB's have gone missing. Two even show being held by cachers and when I email them about it, nothing happens.

I think I'm discouraged about it this morning. :D

Every travel bug I own that I released in Europe or the UK are still going strong...All but one in the US has disappeared. I try t never release one in the US anymore. In fact, I released Camel680's California coin in Europe recently. I will be curious to see if the coin stays moving just as the travel bugs do there. :D

Edited by Sanruft

New subject - ADVANCE NOTICE!

Remember S'Mores and Snores?

Mark your calendars now for S'Mores and Snores II

Camping Friday May 4th and Saturday May 5th. Main event will be on Saturday May 5th.

Location: San Luis Reservoir Recreaton area (a few miles west of Los Banos.)

We have a large group area reserved so do not make camping reservations. We should have plenty of room for all who want to camp and will pro rate the fees among all who camp.

The event will be officially published in a few months of course.

New subject - ADVANCE NOTICE!

Remember S'Mores and Snores?

Camping Friday May 4th and Saturday May 5th. Main event will be on Saturday May 5th.

Location: San Luis Reservoir Recreaton area (a few miles west of Los Banos.)

We have a large group area reserved so do not make camping reservations. We should have plenty of room for all who want to camp and will pro rate the fees among all who camp.

The event will be officially published in a few months of course.

Sounds like fun but looks like we will miss it again this year. :D

Marked. Really close to a bunch of highly important dates (GBES 4th Annual Navigational Rally for one) but those given, I'm there.

-------

TB's... I've been meaning to log the Tractor from Germany that I've got and should also take some pictures and send it on it's way. Lazy?! I don't think so. Busy?! You bet!

For all lost TB's, I'm going to reuse my TB Numbers. It doesn't have to be on a dog tag after all! They can keep what they will but the darn number is mine! :rolleyes:B)

Greetings from Texas! It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm here in Texas until Sunday. Doing a lot of caching! I hate TEXAS! So for, I've been covered head to toe in mosquitoes (even with OFF on) every day here, bit by fire ants today, and saw a coral snake (could've been a milk snake) yesterday. Now mind you I have hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles in CA and never once saw a snake. Come here in pretty much the city and see one at a virtual! UGH! I am deathly afraid of them. I ran so fast I was a blur.

The event sounds like fun however I will be missing it. I will be riding my bike 100 miles in one day for a certain cause. One I won't mention because that would be a no no. I like smores...but substitute the chocolate with a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie...YUM!

Glad to hear everyone is good. I hope to see you all soon out caching!

Take care,

Kim

Greetings from Texas! It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm here in Texas until Sunday. Doing a lot of caching! I hate TEXAS! So for, I've been covered head to toe in mosquitoes (even with OFF on) every day here, bit by fire ants today, and saw a coral snake (could've been a milk snake) yesterday. Now mind you I have hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles in CA and never once saw a snake. Come here in pretty much the city and see one at a virtual! UGH! I am deathly afraid of them. I ran so fast I was a blur.

Take care,

Kim

It could have been worse...They have some nice rattlesnakes back there!! :o Just trying to cheer you up! :unsure:

And remember..."Don't mess with Texas!!" :mad:

I hope you have a safe trip back...

Has anyone noticed a rise in coin and TB pinching lately? What's with that? I just had a coin STOLEN, can't think of a more polite term, after only one person had had it. I'd saved it for over a year before deciding to share it, so I gave it to a friend and she placed it in a Bay area cache and it was gone in days with no logs. I know of a number of coins missing from local caches, too. It's a downer and I guess I just won't do coins or TB's any longer since they all get pinched. Makes me sad about the caching community. It seems like there are always a few bad eggs who ruin everything for the rest of us. :unsure:

I know I had 3 coins dissappear at the last event. I placed 9 travelling california poppy coins and 6 were logged out of the event, (one by me and later put into tag) and 3 never left...

And then I know of one more already that has been stolen. It is sad to see people stealing travel bugs or coins.... I mean if it is stolen you really can't even share it with your caching friends which seems to be more the point of them now a days. cuz if you stole it and you want to show them what do you say to them when they try to log it in... "no please don't it is stolen and I don't want the owner to know I have it"

Just pathetic....

Has anyone noticed a rise in coin and TB pinching lately? What's with that? I just had a coin STOLEN, can't think of a more polite term, after only one person had had it. I'd saved it for over a year before deciding to share it, so I gave it to a friend and she placed it in a Bay area cache and it was gone in days with no logs. I know of a number of coins missing from local caches, too. It's a downer and I guess I just won't do coins or TB's any longer since they all get pinched. Makes me sad about the caching community. It seems like there are always a few bad eggs who ruin everything for the rest of us. :blink:

Speaking of lost coins, I placed a coin in the CVC (MAC) Coffee and Jeep Parking event in Ripon a few months back. It is still showing that it's there and the owner is trying to track it down. It is the NAJ3 Wildlife Muggle Red Wacker geocoin. It has a nice image of a woodpecker.

Anyone have a clue on what happened to it??

Link to coin: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...25-31c6ee0f1af0

:o:P

I can't find any information about that coin other than the link to it's TB Page. I know we protected the TB table very well so it wasn't muggled at the event. That means someone's holding it and just forgot to log it. I have good hope it will surface.

--------

Did anyone notice a large group of Teacher's playing at the playground in Ripon today?! Looks like a small school of educators are catching the bug! Dew A Water Dance Anyone want to help get them in the boat now?! :blink:

I can't find any information about that coin other than the link to it's TB Page. I know we protected the TB table very well so it wasn't muggled at the event. That means someone's holding it and just forgot to log it. I have good hope it will surface.

--------

Did anyone notice a large group of Teacher's playing at the playground in Ripon today?! Looks like a small school of educators are catching the bug! Dew A Water Dance Anyone want to help get them in the boat now?! :blink:

Wow! That's a lot of logs in one day. Maybe I'll even find it someday.

It was confirmed it was a coral snake. YIKES! :D

I came back 2 days early as I got sick. However, we did manage to rescue 5 puppies from the side of a road from being hit. Shh...one is flying home this Saturday to us, his name TEX. It's a surprise. My sister is taking him to the vet to get his health certificate to fly. We are not telling anyone until we know he's ok. I will make him and my Roadie boy into TB's. I went to an event in Beaumont and grabbed 3 cute TB's that way. What a neat idea!

While there I surpassed my 500 cache find mark. It wasn't a memorable one but that is ok with me. That was pretty cool to finally hit that mark.

I understand everyone's frustration on missing TB's. I had one and with a gentle threat the last cacher moved it along. It was a special one too. It's moving but in the wrong direction. When it comes to coins I was told its best to drill a hole in it. I wish cachers would just keep it "honest". I know I have personally dropped all TB's/Coins that I had from that event in Ripon. If I could help just let me know.

Take care,

Kim

It could have been worse...They have some nice rattlesnakes back there!! :D Just trying to cheer you up! :)

And remember..."Don't mess with Texas!!" :)

I hope you have a safe trip back...

Hey...Im looking for someone to geocache with in Fresno, so if you would like a somewhat experienced caching buddy, send me an e-mail (I probablly won't check the forums, so e-mail is best) briancsufresno@aol.com

Qualifications

*Well behaved and friendly

*Around 200 finds

*Very passionate about finding difficult caches (level 3 difficulty and above) and I also like simple ones too

*Very creative cache maker

*Garmin GPS V with auto navigation of Fresno County

*Very experienced in finding urban caches (over 120 finds in the middle of Los Angeles)

*Flexible schedule

I'm only 19 so I know most cachers are older than me, but I'm easy to get along with and willing to cache with any friendly cacher! Just e-mail me!

It was confirmed it was a coral snake. YIKES! :laughing:

I came back 2 days early as I got sick.

'Home' sick or did you play with the snake too long?! :laughing: Welcome home.

Me play with the snake...NO WAY. In fact, you have never seen someone run so fast. I literally got sick. I think if I stayed the 2 days I was suppose to, I would've ended up with pnemonia (spelling?).

I'm going to try to hit my 600 this year. However, caching is going to have to take a back seat until I feel better. I know I shudder at the thought. I hope I can get out and cache with some of you local cachers soon.

Seems like BOGA has found a new way to advertise his caches and this time he's reaching a global audience! :blink:

Anyone listening to the most recent Podcacher podcast will hear mention of how nice BOGA is to new cachers in his area and how innovative his puzzle caches are.

Seriously Bill, good for you, for being the type of cacher that makes geocaching fun for all of us!

Seems like BOGA has found a new way to advertise his caches and this time he's reaching a global audience! :blink:

Anyone listening to the most recent Podcacher podcast will hear mention of how nice BOGA is to new cachers in his area and how innovative his puzzle caches are.

Seriously Bill, good for you, for being the type of cacher that makes geocaching fun for all of us!

Hey you are famous!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

Can we all have your autograph now?

Seems like BOGA has found a new way to advertise his caches and this time he's reaching a global audience! :unsure:

Hey you are famous!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

Can we all have your autograph now?

Hey Kenny, You of all cachers should know that being 'famous' and getting everyone's attention isn't always a good thing. :ph34r:

Speaking of 'innovative'... I've got a couple more puzzle dreamed up and the caches in hand. I'm hoping to get them out before Turkey-Day so I know many members of CVC have nothing better to do during the holidays than sit down in front of the fire with a good old Geo-puzzle. :huh: