Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

We had a great time up at Hope Valley. In fact we bought a cabin! It needs a little work, but the views are spectacular. LOL

Seriously, someone should put a cache there.

bb921f92-08b4-438f-92ad-f97c74dcab07.jpg

I don't think that is a house...I think that is somebody's teepee for finding TAG...Did you verify the coordinates Laura? :lol:

Trying out this forum for the first time. Most of my computer experience involves making things work for others so not too sure about this. Anyway, if this posts OK, I wanted to thank Green Achers and all/any others who organized the CVC gathering this last weekend. Sure met a lot of nice people! Thanks to all for many tips and good advice.

It was so great to meet you and our pleasure to know you had fun.

Our kids had a ball and the "little error" did not derail their fun one bit. Thanks for thinking of the younger ones! :o

Regardless of height... people's fun is our pleasure.

Speaking of fun, how about that new blower-upper that Patsy picked up?!? The funniest part is that the tree's are growing better inside the 'house' than they are outside. :lol: And 'the views are spectacular' no matter where you stand inside, you can see every direction outside. [Reminds me of the day we bought the farm!] :o

Edited by Green Achers

So I guess I need to change my name to Green Acers?! No way! You may never fully understand the 7 months $ATM$ and I labored this (1912) place into shape. Believe me, we 'bought the farm' and it's by no accident that our good friends named it Green ACHERS! :o:o:lol: As an act of humanity, we now beg people not to do what we did! :)

So I guess I need to change my name to Green Acers?! No way! You may never fully understand the 7 months $ATM$ and I labored this (1912) place into shape. Believe me, we 'bought the farm' and it's by no accident that our good friends named it Green ACHERS! :o:o:lol: As an act of humanity, we now beg people not to do what we did! :)

Hey BILL! Ive got 220 achers of walnuts to sell you! Since harvest is near, Ill be so kind as to offer the harvesting service if only you will pay my current bills regarding the farm. I will consider that a fair trade.

We can negotiate about the payment plan. Ill even toss in drying them and processing them! ( of course, I get cut of the proceeds! )

Hi All CVCer's and MACer's

I'm looking for some good local advice on Geocoins. Specifically, I'm interested in having some of my own made. Stupid question probably but does anyone else around here do that? If so, what manufacturer do you use and how did things turn out? Did you order trackable coins? How do people feel about collecting the coins as opposed to just moving them from cache to cache? Seems like it might be fun to collect them. I guess if you're going to collect them you would want to have some nice ones of your own to leave or maybe people trade them?. As you can see I'm a know-nothing on the subject. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tim(carpodacus)

I'm looking for some good local advice on Geocoins. Specifically, I'm interested in having some of my own made. Stupid question probably but does anyone else around here do that? If so, what manufacturer do you use and how did things turn out? Did you order trackable coins? How do people feel about collecting the coins as opposed to just moving them from cache to cache? Seems like it might be fun to collect them. I guess if you're going to collect them you would want to have some nice ones of your own to leave or maybe people trade them?. As you can see I'm a know-nothing on the subject. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tim(carpodacus)

Hi Tim,

I have considered having some made as well. I did some initial research and the cost seems to be around $450.00 (including set-up) for 100 coins. Most coins never travel much as there are so many collectors out there, they never make it out of their hands. Keeping them to trade with others will work as you now have something for an even swap. I'm not sure about the trackable vs non-ttrackable, but there are several people that watch these forums who have all the information you need on that part.

Good luck! :ph34r:

I have to admit that I'm addicted to this whole geocoin craze! I have created a couple of coins...the first is my Triple Wisdom coin:

0624ea9d-1c90-483a-9c7d-e4d1ce6c2756.jpg

I have also just about finished my All-Season caching series:

eda28e38-7c4d-4561-b259-e0ad3c54cfca.jpg

I have used Oakcoins for all of them...Christian is a local cacher out of the San Jose area and is really easy to work with...as far as I know, his prices have always been the best around. I have made all of my coins trackable and they each have their own icon...

I do have a collection of coins that I plan to bring to the next event (if I ever make it to an event! :ph34r: )so everybody can take a look...

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have...feel free to email me directly!

Happy caching everybody!

B)

I have to admit that I'm addicted to this whole geocoin craze! I have created a couple of coins...the first is my Triple Wisdom coin:

I have used Oakcoins for all of them...Christian is a local cacher out of the San Jose area and is really easy to work with...as far as I know, his prices have always been the best around. I have made all of my coins trackable and they each have their own icon...

I do have a collection of coins that I plan to bring to the next event (if I ever make it to an event! :ph34r: )so everybody can take a look...

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have...feel free to email me directly!

Happy caching everybody!

:huh:

Whoa!! You ARE still around!! B) We were talking about you at the event this last weekend...We were hoping to see you there but perhaps maybe at the Oktoberfest one in Merced this next month! :(

Whoa!! You ARE still around!! :ph34r: We were talking about you at the event this last weekend...We were hoping to see you there but perhaps maybe at the Oktoberfest one in Merced this next month! B)

Yeah, I'm still here! :huh: It's just been an extremely busy time at work, so I've been out of the loop for a while! I do plan on making it to the next event, in fact, I'm bring a friend that speaks German! I look forward to seeing you all there!

Thanks,

Tim(carpodacus)

YEAH! ME TOO! I spent the better part of the past few days designing my own coin. I am waiting to hear from one of the designers that are mentioned by both Oak Coins AND pinsand coins to help me. Its the same one that helped triplewisdom.

To answer your question about collecting verses moving them.....I would never personally keep a coin I found in a cache. I find that wrong. Like keeping a travel bug. I only have a FEW coins, but they were won in a raffle, bought, or given to me.

Anyway, back to having my own coin. Im concerned about the cost....I have lots of mouths to feed, and small farmers are NOT getting richer these days....( thank goodness my hubby has a PAYING job) .

While I know how I want my coin to be, here are my concerns and questions! I know I have to fork out dough, but I am HOPING that I can get some of it back by selling them at cost. Say, 50%. Is this feasable?

Second....Im not by any means a big time cacher and Im sure many would say, who the heck is nutlady? Why do I want one of her coins? That leads up to THIS....how many should I make? I dont want to be stuck with 500 coins that nobody wants!

What MAKES a coin collectable? I wasted many hours today looking at coins. Mostly to see if there was anything close to my idea. Is it because of uniqueness, colors , the person that made it, WHAT?

While looking at endless amounts of coinage on ebay, I thought WOWSA. There are a HECK of alot of coins out there! Again, why would anyone want mine? ( however, I did come across one coin I GOTTA HAVE cause its so dern CUTE-dorkfish)

I guess Im asking , if I make my own coin, are there people willing to buy them? ( dont mean here, in general) And how many should I start off with! ( Im thinking 100 to see how it goes)

I have another zillion ????????, but Ill stop at one more. Is it true that all the coins are made in China? Seems like a silly question, I have my own reasons to boycott . I wont bore you with the details there. IF i am going to have a coin made, it better be made HERE. PERIOD.

Would appreciate any advice!

Sandra

While I know how I want my coin to be, here are my concerns and questions! I know I have to fork out dough, but I am HOPING that I can get some of it back by selling them at cost. Say, 50%. Is this feasable?

Second....Im not by any means a big time cacher and Im sure many would say, who the heck is nutlady? Why do I want one of her coins? That leads up to THIS....how many should I make? I dont want to be stuck with 500 coins that nobody wants!

I would guess that if you build it, they will come... (ok, buy) :)

I think that is what most coin people are doing...Selling some to cover the cost of making it.

Many thanks to Sanruft, TripleWisdom and Nutlady for some good geocoin advice/tips. Sounds like you don't make them trackable unless you want them to travel. Based on the coversation then, if I find a non-trackable geocoin (assuming I ever do) in a cache is it OK to trade for and then keep it? I'm also thinking about getting some custom geonickels designed for a specific cache I own and leaving them as prizes for the finders. Anyone around here doing that? Is that something that in your opinion would encourage a visit?

Sounds like you don't make them trackable unless you want them to travel.

Not always true..... Some people still make them trackable. there is still some appeal to others. (for the icons.)

Based on the coversation then, if I find a non-trackable geocoin (assuming I ever do) in a cache is it OK to trade for and then keep it?

my opinion says yes perfectly fine to keep it jsut follow the golden rule (that MOST don't follow any more) "trade up, or trade even or don't trade at all."

I'm also thinking about getting some custom geonickels designed for a specific cache I own and leaving them as prizes for the finders. Anyone around here doing that? Is that something that in your opinion would encourage a visit?

For some. I would stop by and get a coin. But I collect. it is only cool for those that are collectors to get them. not all collect coins.

Edited by Camel680

I'm also thinking about getting some custom geonickels designed for a specific cache I own and leaving them as prizes for the finders. Anyone around here doing that? Is that something that in your opinion would encourage a visit?

I think it would definitely encourage a visit, but I am unaware of any other cachers doing this. (But I'm sure there are some!)

Although Bill has been known to place special items of interest to coax them to his caches! :)

I was looking through some of the pics that Tim took at the event... I look like a serious deer in the headlights in this one!!!

a634d95e-225d-4864-8d2c-065eb5b98393.jpg

I have definitely taken better pictures before! HAHAHAHA

Could have been the photographer though! :)

I think I remember that one and thought you were taking a picture past me! HAHAHA Thanks! always good to have a picture of yourself on the internet looking like a goon! HAHAHAHA

I was just poking around in the forums and noticed that there are quite a few cachers around here that used to be very active, but are no longer active at all. In almost all of their profiles, they have very recently been to the web site, but caching does not seem to be in their blood any longer.

Makes me wonder about the stories behind their decision to no longer be active in Geocaching... :D

A few have moved but most (appear) to still be in the CVC area.

Gosh, at the rate that caches are placed throughout the valley, there should be thousands to find right in their own backyard!! :):D

It would be great to see all of the old (ahem), VETERAN cachers come to one of the events...hint, hint...Oktoberfest comes to mind! (Here is a link to make things easier): Oktoberfset! In Atwater?? :D

I wold love to hear some of the earlier stories of caching adventures!

...Although Bill has been known to place special items of interest to coax them to his caches! :)

And I'm trying to think of why this is wrong!?! :D Even better is when you're able to target a cacHER and make them sweat out a hard multi to abtain a FTF, only to break the bad news that it was already found days earlier. :D [Gosh, I'm glad that person's a good sport!]

GeoCoinage... I made 150 coins and had them numbered but not 'trackable' other than the database I keep. I sold a few on eBay to greatly lower my expenses and traded a bunch. Most of the remainders will be dropped into caches from time to time. I also used Christian at OakCoins.com and was delighted with the entire project. That's where I'd go again too!

To look up many of the current Geocoins, try The GeoCoin Collection.

Thanks NutLady for the offer on the farm. I'll run it past my wife, $ATM$ and see if she (a) wants to take out a loan and (:D buy another farm. :D I think I know the answers to both! :D

Thanks NutLady for the offer on the farm. I'll run it past my wife, $ATM$ and see if she (a) wants to take out a loan and (B) buy another farm. :lol: I think I know the answers to both! ;)

Huh! :lol:

220 acs. ?????? :lol:

only your bills?!? :lol:

:lol::lol: lemme think...... :huh::mad::lol::lol:^_^

... one word .... :lol: TTTHHhhpppbbbbbB - B!

Ok....so this is probably off subject, but I have been looking thru cache pages and have decided to do 'Watermark' for my #500. I am at 480 right now and hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be at 499 <_<

EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR #500! Have fun. :laughing::blink:

Now I have a whole new respect for you. :laughing::blink:

Edited by Green Achers

Ok....so this is probably off subject, but I have been looking thru cache pages and have decided to do 'Watermark' for my #500. I am at 480 right now and hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be at 499 :D

Firstly no such thing as off topic with us. we have no topic! :D

Secondly that is one of my favorties. Excellent choice.

Getting ready to start that. :) You all have me worried now! :huh:

I beg you, Tim... look at my pictures first. S E V E N M O N T H S ! ! ! L o n g t i m e. T h e n y o u r e y e s s t a r t g e t t i n g s o s o r e . . . y o u r b o d y g e t s s o w o r n o u t.

Pay someone to do it for you and call you when it's ready!! :)

[Pictures sent direct]

I do have a collection of coins that I plan to bring to the next event (if I ever make it to an event! :D )so everybody can take a look...

Happy caching everybody!

:)

Triple Wisdom...how can I get a hold of your coins? Are you selling them? They are great and I would love them for my collection.

~Wolf Grrl

Tripple Wisdom coins are often on eBay.

-----

I was relieved today to learn that CVC Tag has been safely in Kenny's hands since the Gathering. He was letting the dust settle after all those party goers logged their finds... I'd log my finding it but it was already scooped up by the time I got over to it. Since there was no Tee Pee, I only searched for a short time before giving up. Is that a DNF (since it was gone and no indicator of such)? :P:laughing:

-----

I was relieved today to learn that CVC Tag has been safely in Kenny's hands since the Gathering. He was letting the dust settle after all those party goers logged their finds... I'd log my finding it but it was already scooped up by the time I got over to it. Since there was no Tee Pee, I only searched for a short time before giving up. Is that a DNF (since it was gone and no indicator of such)? B)B)

Another fine mess you have gotten us into Ollie! :)

So are there now TWO CVC Tags for us to go find?? :)B)B)

-----

I was relieved today to learn that CVC Tag has been safely in Kenny's hands since the Gathering. He was letting the dust settle after all those party goers logged their finds... I'd log my finding it but it was already scooped up by the time I got over to it. Since there was no Tee Pee, I only searched for a short time before giving up. Is that a DNF (since it was gone and no indicator of such)? B):D

Another fine mess you have gotten us into Ollie! :blink:

So are there now TWO CVC Tags for us to go find?? B):DB)

Well actually there isn't ANY to go look for right now.

I know where it si going and I have the NEW container to put out. BUT I jsut haven't gone out yet today. SO the new coordinates should be out tonight (Maybe tomorrow morning)

I will post here also as soon as I know the coordinates.

So just be a little more patient everyone I promise to have it out within 24 hours of this post. (So put the tar and feathers away!!!!!)

Ya, Tim. Put the tar away and I'll return the feathers. Only one CVC Tag and Kenny's got it (rather is making it). Personally, I prepare before I get it (knowing the sooner or later it will be in my hands). :D However, I'm more than willing to wait and see. My only concern was that someone had it.

Once I learned it was Kenny, I knew I could go back to work (replacing fencing from today's accidental DUI, Suspended Lisence, No Insurance). Anyone have any more fun than we did today? :blink: [insert Sun Burned frog here]

I knew I could go back to work (replacing fencing from today's accidental DUI, Suspended Lisence, No Insurance). Anyone have any more fun than we did today? B) [insert Sun Burned frog here]

Bill,

What?? Someone spiked your Geritol and you ran through your own fence?? No way. :blink::D

Ya, Tim. Put the tar away and I'll return the feathers. Only one CVC Tag and Kenny's got it (rather is making it). Personally, I prepare before I get it (knowing the sooner or later it will be in my hands). :D However, I'm more than willing to wait and see. My only concern was that someone had it.

Once I learned it was Kenny, I knew I could go back to work (replacing fencing from today's accidental DUI, Suspended Lisence, No Insurance). Anyone have any more fun than we did today? :blink: [insert Sun Burned frog here]

I'm sure that Kenny will do a fine job morphing Tag...I didn't even have the tar warming-up yet!

Sorry to hear about your day. It seems as though there were a lot of "accidents" (using that term very loosely) this weekend. Hopefully no one in your family (pets included) were injured in the orderal. Did the police arrest the person though?

Sorry to hear about your day. It seems as though there were a lot of "accidents" (using that term very loosely) this weekend. Hopefully no one in your family (pets included) were injured in the orderal. Did the police arrest the person though?

Only lost were fencing materials and my time. The guys car is now beat up - but would have been worse had we made him drive it out of the tangled mess. We were kind and cut his car out.

The CHiP [not to be confused with Certified Health Physics which is the legal reference for CHP] and I learned the passenger was the car owner and a Marine on leave from over seas. He had asked the driver (whom has a suspended license) to drive because the Marine was too drunk. Everything was going find until the drunk Marine reached over and pulled on the emergency brake while they were speeding. [They called it an 'emergency brake' because if you use it... you'll have an emergency!]

So here's the dilemma... should he be charged with causing an accident and public drunkeness which will likely get him kicked out of the service? :angry:

--> Talk about off topic <--

Only lost were fencing materials and my time. The guys car is now beat up - but would have been worse had we made him drive it out of the tangled mess. We were kind and cut his car out.

The CHiP [not to be confused with Certified Health Physics which is the legal reference for CHP] and I learned the passenger was the car owner and a Marine on leave from over seas. He had asked the driver (whom has a suspended license) to drive because the Marine was too drunk. Everything was going find until the drunk Marine reached over and pulled on the emergency brake while they were speeding. [They called it an 'emergency brake' because if you use it... you'll have an emergency!]

So here's the dilemma... should he be charged with causing an accident and public drunkeness which will likely get him kicked out of the service? :P

That is a tough decision especially since he was atleast smart enough to know he couldn't drive himself. BUT stupid enough to pull on an emergency brake AND find the one person that was there who was not legally allowed to drive!

Had to share my general relief with the gang. Just found Gung Ho Fat Choy today at lunch along with CreekCrew3. A little thing to you caching giants but rather an event for me. Thanks to Bill of Green Achers and Frivlas for some hints. I made this one a lot harder than it had to be, based on my experiences with other Streeter caches. Tonight, I'll go home, kiss my wife tenderly and tell her, "honey I logged Gung Ho Fat Choy". She'll lovingly respond, "whatever, you geek!" I can only celibrate here!

Had to share my general relief with the gang. Just found Gung Ho Fat Choy today at lunch along with CreekCrew3. A little thing to you caching giants but rather an event for me. Thanks to Bill of Green Achers and Frivlas for some hints. I made this one a lot harder than it had to be, based on my experiences with other Streeter caches. Tonight, I'll go home, kiss my wife tenderly and tell her, "honey I logged Gung Ho Fat Choy". She'll lovingly respond, "whatever, you geek!" I can only celibrate here!

That sounds like MY household!!!!!! :angry::P:P

That is one of my favorite caches. Mostly due to his attention to detail.

GREAT cache!! Congrats on the find Tim! :P

So here's the dilemma... should he be charged with causing an accident and public drunkeness which will likely get him kicked out of the service? :P

I'm not sure where his being in the service plays a role. If anything, it should mean that he holds himself to a higher standard, but afterall, he is only human. That being said, his being in the service should not matter as he broke the law. (Or at least pay for all of the damage!!)

Anyway, there's my one and a half cents worth...Glad it had a safe ending though!