Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Apparantly the groundhog had good news for Geocachers...It will be an early Spring!! :P

Does anyone know if there are any geocaching groups participating in an "Adopt-a-highway" type program? I thought that this may be a good way to put a positive image in front of the city councils and such. (Maybe "adopt-a-park" or something...Could get rid of trash and make parks a bit more safe). Maybe we could have the CVC do one... :P

Edited by Sanruft

I just ordered the new Garmin Vista C...It has the Geocaching feature built-in now. It is smaller than the old one and the screen (now with color) looked pretty crisp...I'm anxious to see how it does on a caching trip. There are many new features on this one such as auto-routing.

Maybe it wil help me get better coordinates for my cache placements!! :rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::o

I'm surprised non of the Stockton cachers have found this one yet. Even took us a while. Plan on being there a while and bring a group :ph34r:

That was a good one to do and a lot of great information. Just look at the age of the cache and the number of finds. One I recommend highly. :rolleyes:

OLDHIPPY

Here is another highly recomended cache. It's very cool to do. :o Z & I had fun doing this one & the stroll was great too as was the sunset. :o It was really logistically fun. :ph34r:The Knowledge Tree

I just ordered the new Garmin Vista C...It has the Geocaching feature built-in now. It is smaller than the old one and the screen (now with color) looked pretty crisp...I'm anxious to see how it does on a caching trip. There are many new features on this one such as auto-routing.

Maybe it wil help me get better coordinates for my cache placements!! :o:o:o:D

And he kept telling me MY gps was the wrong one! :rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r:

Maybe it wil help me get better coordinates for my cache placements!!  :o  :(  :P  :D

And he kept telling me MY gps was the wrong one! :rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r:

It WAS!!! :o:o:D:D

Maybe it wil help me get better coordinates for my cache placements!!  :ph34r:  :o  :o  :D

And he kept telling me MY gps was the wrong one! :rolleyes::ph34r::o

If I remember correctly, a couple of weeks ago yours was pointing 80 feet farther than mine. Which would have put you 70 feet from the destination. :(

I'm surprised non of the Stockton cachers have found this one yet. Even took us a while. Plan on being there a while and bring a group :ph34r:

That was a good one to do and a lot of great information. Just look at the age of the cache and the number of finds. One I recommend highly. :rolleyes:

OLDHIPPY

Here is another highly recomended cache. It's very cool to do. :o Z & I had fun doing this one & the stroll was great too as was the sunset. :o It was really logistically fun. :ph34r:The Knowledge Tree

I have been looking forward to going for that one but didn't know if this OLD hippy could push the walker down the levee.

Crippled up for a while need level 1's

Oldhippy

edited for typos

Edited by Oldhippy & Granny
I've been meaning to give Bill a new picture of me to Photoshop.  Here is one I found of me doing The Return Of The King cache.

Bill, you now officially owe me one.  :blink:

d55f0810-01d8-4f54-a1de-aeb47694a10d.jpg

Very funny, Fizzy. I think others will agree in due time. :lol::rolleyes::anicute::yikes::anibad:

I'm sure glad the rest of the picture is cropped.

-Fy :unsure:

Looks like the CVC Tag has migrated well beyond the "Stanislaus County" borders that the owner wants it to remain in...I think it needs to come back where it belongs! :(:(:bad:

Oh well...I guess we mihgt have to go up there and retrieve it. <_<:huh:

Well I happen to be free early Saturday morning....... ayone else ready for a road trip? (of course if it is still there!) :blink:

What's Jeepysr's secret? How is it that he can know about every new cache that is hidden, almost before the one hiding it?  :blink:

That's an easy one! All you have to do is have a 14 year old(Z) who needs to cache 24/7! <_< I do my best to restrain him at times but when no one else in Stockton is caching you can get a lot of FTF's. :huh: Wait till the weather warms up & everyone is out to be FTF! That's when the fun really starts. We missed a really good one down in Ripon a few weeks back but just so happens we were not able to make a run at that one.National Treasure-Ripon We'll have to get down there soon to do it as the reviews are excellent! We once went out at 3am to be FTF on a LOTR's cache in Elk Grove Cache of the Rings & it was worth it! Thing of it is, you have to be ready & willing to go at anytime. If it's within 30 miles, you can be sure we are thinking about it! :(:P Lastly, I'm lucky I live so close to Tek, he doesn't even realise it! :bad: As for putting caches out, we're working on it. We have some ready to go, just need to find good places for them. :(

Edited by JEEPYSR

My brothers' close friend has been in Iraq for a little while now and is an avid cacher. (Scrawlinn and Greeny's Ghost). Anyway, he just placed a cache in Iraq and is really missing the cache camaraderie from back home.

Anyone that would like to place an encouraging note on his cache placement page would be encouraged as I'm sure that it would help keep his spirits high. They ahve a tough job out there and he is making it a safer caching Country for all!

Thank you!

His cache-placement page is as follows:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7d-4c1e3147219c

Waypoint: GCMNZV

What's Jeepysr's secret? How is it that he can know about every new cache that is hidden, almost before the one hiding it?  B)

That's an easy one! All you have to do is have a 14 year old(Z) who needs to cache 24/7! :D I do my best to restrain him at times but when no one else in Stockton is caching you can get a lot of FTF's. <_< Wait till the weather warms up & everyone is out to be FTF! That's when the fun really starts. We missed a really good one down in Ripon a few weeks back but just so happens we were not able to make a run at that one.National Treasure-Ripon We'll have to get down there soon to do it as the reviews are excellent! We once went out at 3am to be FTF on a LOTR's cache in Elk Grove Cache of the Rings & it was worth it! Thing of it is, you have to be ready & willing to go at anytime. If it's within 30 miles, you can be sure we are thinking about it! :o:D Lastly, I'm lucky I live so close to Tek, he doesn't even realise it! :D As for putting caches out, we're working on it. We have some ready to go, just need to find good places for them. :D

So, I guess my question is (remember I'm new at this): How do I find out about a new cache as soon as it's posted. Do I just search every 15 minutes day and night?

My brothers' close friend has been in Iraq for a little while now and is an avid cacher. (Scrawlinn and Greeny's Ghost). Anyway, he just placed a cache in Iraq and is really missing the cache camaraderie from back home.

Anyone that would like to place an encouraging note on his cache placement page would be encouraged as I'm sure that it would help keep his spirits high. They ahve a tough job out there and he is making it a safer caching Country for all!

Thank you!

Cool! And only 7421 miles from my home coordinates! Maybe I can beat Jeepysr to this FTF ??? <_<

What's Jeepysr's secret? How is it that he can know about every new cache that is hidden, almost before the one hiding it?  :D

That's an easy one! All you have to do is have a 14 year old(Z) who needs to cache 24/7! <_< I do my best to restrain him at times but when no one else in Stockton is caching you can get a lot of FTF's. :o Wait till the weather warms up & everyone is out to be FTF! That's when the fun really starts. We missed a really good one down in Ripon a few weeks back but just so happens we were not able to make a run at that one.National Treasure-Ripon We'll have to get down there soon to do it as the reviews are excellent! We once went out at 3am to be FTF on a LOTR's cache in Elk Grove Cache of the Rings & it was worth it! Thing of it is, you have to be ready & willing to go at anytime. If it's within 30 miles, you can be sure we are thinking about it! :D:D Lastly, I'm lucky I live so close to Tek, he doesn't even realise it! :D As for putting caches out, we're working on it. We have some ready to go, just need to find good places for them. B)

So, I guess my question is (remember I'm new at this): How do I find out about a new cache as soon as it's posted. Do I just search every 15 minutes day and night?

Simple Answer.... Yes... You just be addicted and keep checking all the time. As they can be approved at all sorts of strange hours.

Thank you!

Cool! And only 7421 miles from my home coordinates! Maybe I can beat Jeepysr to this FTF ??? :D

It wasn't always like this. :D After falling behind the "Tekinator" in lots of FTF's Z decided to step it up abit & just go out anytime if within reason. (Sometimes without reason). ;) There are cachers who put out caches to see all the FTF hounds go for it. Believe me they are there whether they realise it or not. Some even go on work breaks, lunch breaks etc. to be FTF. What is really fun & even more challenging than FTF is what we like to call FTS (First to Swipe). This is where there is a new cache listed in another town & you go in and swipe it before the locals! :D We only managed to do it a few times but it is such a Blast that we even look for opportunities for this. Most of the time your second to find on these but you get lucky once in a awhile! I agree with Camel, it's an addiction!(see Signature) Check, check, check & check again & be ready to go anytime. Like I said, we've been very lucky lately. There are others in Stockton who enjoy a FTF like everyone else but they've probably been too busy to drop everything & head out. You just never know when others will join in on the frenzie, so you always have to go if you can! Best of luck to you & hope to see ya around a new cache soon(after me that is!) ;)

Sal & Z

Edited by JEEPYSR
What's Jeepysr's secret? How is it that he can know about every new cache that is hidden, almost before the one hiding it?  :D

That's an easy one! All you have to do is have a 14 year old(Z) who needs to cache 24/7! :D I do my best to restrain him at times but when no one else in Stockton is caching you can get a lot of FTF's. :D Wait till the weather warms up & everyone is out to be FTF! That's when the fun really starts. We missed a really good one down in Ripon a few weeks back but just so happens we were not able to make a run at that one.National Treasure-Ripon We'll have to get down there soon to do it as the reviews are excellent! We once went out at 3am to be FTF on a LOTR's cache in Elk Grove Cache of the Rings & it was worth it! Thing of it is, you have to be ready & willing to go at anytime. If it's within 30 miles, you can be sure we are thinking about it! ;):D Lastly, I'm lucky I live so close to Tek, he doesn't even realise it! :D As for putting caches out, we're working on it. We have some ready to go, just need to find good places for them. ;)

Yes just keep checking as I quite often get insomnia and may be up at any hour day or night.

Welcome to the CVC and to geocaching. If I can be of any help RUN FAST

Krypton

Looks like the CVC Tag has migrated well beyond the "Stanislaus County" borders that the owner wants it to remain in...I think it needs to come back where it belongs!  :D  ;)  :D

Oh well...I guess we mihgt have to go up there and retrieve it.  :D  ;)

The cache page says "Please keep this cache in the general area of Stanislaus County. It's not a big deal if it goes outside the county but don't let it wander too far, PLEASE. ".

Now that it is in Lodi' it is not that far out of "Stanislaus County". Lodi is a nice city of only 55.000 people unlike tulyburg that has 300k+. We all know that "San Joaquin" county has some of the best cachers and hiders. :D

Richard of the GeoCrickets.

Edited by GeoCrickets
Dawn and I found tag today (02-04-05). We made sure that people would see our Teepee, just in case someone went looking for it.. 

fee389f7-19d6-4efe-9efb-75c9be533b9b.jpg

Very nice TeePee! Reminds me of the Aztec Temples in the Yucatan. ;) Great job in locating CVC. It's nice to have new cachers playing "Tag" on our team, we can sure use them when the southern CVC'ers come a callin'. :D

Looks like the CVC Tag has migrated well beyond the "Stanislaus County" borders that the owner wants it to remain in...I think it needs to come back where it belongs! :P:):)

Oh well...I guess we mihgt have to go up there and retrieve it. :):blink:

Obviously, I was just kidding about this. Having it outside of Stansilaus County just gives us one more reason to cache outside of the area! :huh:

Thanks to Sanruft and Team Judd for coming to Merced to cache today.  It was nice to see you across the creek.  :P

We have a few new cachers in Merced so hopefully more new caches will follow soon.

We had a GREAT time down in the Merced area. There were quite a few caches down South!! There were some awesome challenges and some thought put into a lot of them. (Even stole a FTF while we were down there - Beat the "locals" by about 10 minutes! (Sorry! :) )

Thanks for placing all the caches down there! Keep it up and we will visit a lot more often!! :):):blink:

On another note...Has anyone heard from Soggy Boots lately? We have been to their "Wild America" cache at least a half dozen times without success and cannot get a reply from them. (All of the logs are DNF's for the last 6 months). It is a FANTASTIC location and we enjoy going even with a DNF, but a find would be that much sweeter! :huh:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Sanruft

I agree, Tim, the location for "Wild America" is a great one. I remember finding it when it was first placed. Soggy boots and Baggy Britches have another cache outside Merced called Fire safe. This cache is on a rural road that has gates at both ends of the road. While previously the gates were open, they are now locked. The cache hasn't been able to be found in over a year. There have been a series of notes on the cache page, but the owners haven't responded . :)

Great to see you today, I really enjoyed your logs of our caches. Especially the parts where your wives were finding all the caches! :)

Edited by Radikel
They must be ignoring you because they logged into Geocaching yesterday. Wild America. Perhaps you're all just not worthy of a 4 rated cache. :)

I think I feel a caching day coming on but doubt it will involve traveling so far. After all, it has been over a month since my last find (save one Gathering). :)

hmmm....Worthy of a four-star rating?? Well, we have done them before, but you're probably right. This one is probably still there, right under our nose. All five GPS's were zeroing out in the middle of the highway, and we tried all of the reflectors without success. Both sides of the hihgway were checked, but one side is completely overgrown with plant life so it makes it a little tougher to search.

Not sure why they would choose to ignore. Doesn't seem so "geo-friendly" to me. Even if I didn't want to give any clues, I would at least ackowledge so. I figured that their email had probably changed or maybe they travel too.

Oh well...At least the scenery is worth the drive.

We have emailed Soggy Boots and Baggy Britches about the cache. It's in our neck of the woods so we could easily adopt it or put a new one there if it's archived.

We'd like to encourage cachers who are no longer active in caching to consider archiving caches they can no longer maintain and free up good caching locations for others to enjoy. :)

Edited by 2 for the road
Wild America. Perhaps you're all just not worthy of a 4 rated cache.  :anitongue:
hmmm....Worthy of a four-star rating?? Well, we have done them before, but you're probably right.

Not all ''4 star'' caches are really 4 stars. For example, this cache is likely more of a 3 or 2.5. Limited access adds to it's difficulty but does that account for a full star?

Edited by Green Achers

Wow. I made it off playing today and picked up a quick dozen finds. I feel a milestone aproaching. Thanks Tim for the fun cache review and the one one else can find. LOL

CVC Question: How's planning (or at least thinking about planning) to do this years Navigational Rally? It was a total blast last year and I highly encourage everyone. [No want-2-bee Off-Road Vehicles. It's a ground clearance requirement for a couple locations in the race.] :anitongue:

Hey! I've had my Hyundai in more horrible spots than you can imagine. And possibly a few more than I can believe I was stupid enough to try. lol. Just wondering Bill, is perhaps this cache Bridge to Nowhere II above the snow line? Over 3 months with no FTF. Either it's snowed in or folks out there are slacking off!

I'd tell them what you're racing with and if they have no problem, I say... Bring it on! B)

For that FTF: JeepySR must of DNF. Perhaps it's too far for WildLifeGuy. Maybe 4Wheeler doesn't like the cold. Could SnoWake be a sleep. I know it's the busy time of the year for Special Delivery. TeamTek probably can't get a ride. Cachecows209 has the same problem. AmyTinCan is on the move. Snow? That wouldn't keep these cachers away! :)

Hey! I've had my Hyundai in more horrible spots than you can imagine. And possibly a few more than I can believe I was stupid enough to try. lol. Just wondering Bill, is perhaps this cache Bridge to Nowhere II above the snow line? Over 3 months with no FTF. Either it's snowed in or folks out there are slacking off!

Highway 108 is closed just above Strawberry..Have to wait till around May to get this one...