Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

So did any one from the CVC go in 2004? If so how was it? and what can you say about it.

8th place here! I was the only one representing CVC. I hired a professional driver and used the old farm truck.

I say, go or you'll hate yourself. It's the 'Must Do' event of the year!

Last year I was unsure if I could compete in such a competition and was a little afraid of rolling the darn thing too. All that was nonsense of course. We were mostly all beginner racers and they do a great job of managing the traffic speed. You loose points for arriving to any check point off schedule (too early or too late). It's your responsibility to figure out your route and average your speed.

The one thing I must stress though. This is an off-road race. Someone drove a want-a-bee 4x4 last year and paid dearly. They bottomed out on their oil pan and ripped it off. Then they found out AAA doesn't fourwheel drive into the middle of no where to rescue people that exceed their vehicles real intended purpose. Don't get me wrong. You don't need a 4x4. Just normal truck ground clearance.

Can any one help us out with a clue to Blooming Cache (GCKFK6)

Thanks.....

The only clue I can think of would give it away too much. Email Sanruft.... he is good at responding.. He has been traveling lately though so give him a couple of extra days.

I will say that if you get more than 15 feet away from the fence and if you leave the flowershop property then yoaur e too far away from the cache!

Thanks.....

The only clue I can think of would give it away too much. Email Sanruft.... he is good at responding.. He has been traveling lately though so give him a couple of extra days.

I will say that if you get more than 15 feet away from the fence and if you leave the flowershop property then yoaur e too far away from the cache!

Sure glad I also have a devious mind as I fortunately found it quickly. Even though I'm all the way in the east bay and yet, I've received at least 5 lifeline calls from this one.

found one for Bill's must do list. ;)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-128f95545ac4

Funny!!!!! :bad:

On another note!!!

I was looking up some of my caches.... and as many people as like a good puzzle cache.... I can't believe that only 5 people have found my puzzles.

Dreaming of the Majors

There is another puzzle nearby also and I was the 3rd or 4th to sign that log earlier today.

Plus a reagular Micro enarby as well. There are plenty of reasons to hit the area. Bring some golf clubs and you can round out the day. Do it during baseball season and you can really fill your day with a round of golf, 3 caches and a baseball game that night. see I jsut planned a whole day for someone! :rolleyes::D:D:D:D

EDITED BECAUSE I REALLY CAN'T TYPE!!!!!!!

Edited by Camel680
So did any one from the CVC go in 2004? If so how was it? and what can you say about it.

8th place here! I was the only one representing CVC. I hired a professional driver and used the old farm truck.

I say, go or you'll hate yourself. It's the 'Must Do' event of the year!

Last year I was unsure if I could compete in such a competition and was a little afraid of rolling the darn thing too. All that was nonsense of course. We were mostly all beginner racers and they do a great job of managing the traffic speed. You loose points for arriving to any check point off schedule (too early or too late). It's your responsibility to figure out your route and average your speed.

The one thing I must stress though. This is an off-road race. Someone drove a want-a-bee 4x4 last year and paid dearly. They bottomed out on their oil pan and ripped it off. Then they found out AAA doesn't fourwheel drive into the middle of no where to rescue people that exceed their vehicles real intended purpose. Don't get me wrong. You don't need a 4x4. Just normal truck ground clearance.

I know I probally won't be able to go but I was just wondering if our car would make it. We have a 96' Chevy Suburban it has 4x4. This is the car that has been through alot b/c of geocaching and has been renamed "The Beast". We went through here without too many problems.

Edited by TeamTek

On another note!!!

I was looking up some of my caches....  and as many people as like a good puzzle cache....  I can't believe that only 5 people have found my puzzles.

Baseball trivia is too painful. :huh:

ohhh come on... it is simple!!!! only took me 15 minutes to find trivia that matched the coords. should take you less than 30 minutes.... far less time than you spent on dead drop recently!

I know I probally won't be able to go but I was just wondering if our car would make it. We have a 96' Chevy Suburban it has 4x4.

The beast would make it... a little behind my tractor, but it would make it. :huh: I believe real trucks (with or w/o 4x4) will do just fine. Turning the beast around, should that be needed, could take a little effort.

Last year, we almost plowed a PU 2x4 that was turning around and got the rear axle stuck in a ditch. We were able to get part him and then out of the kindness of our hearts, we hooked up to his front end and yanked him sideways out of his grave. It was during a leg of the race that everyone was having difficulty choosing the correct route so we did all this in less then two minutes. Then we raced off again and made our average time perfectly to the next check point. Just the rewards of quickly assessing the situation, having the right equipment, working well as a team and being a hero. Also, if helped not caring if we rip off the dudes front end. [Just kiding.]

I agree with GA, a Suburban would have no problems with the course if it's similar to last year. They even had folks planted at one particularly nasty pit, with winch and chains ready just on the off chance someone took it at the wrong angle. We were in my Subaru and that had plenty of clearence according to Monty's handy dandy "clearence gauge" (7" section of PVC on a long pole).

I know I probally won't be able to go but I was just wondering if our car would make it. We have a 96' Chevy Suburban it has 4x4.

The beast would make it... a little behind my tractor, but it would make it. :huh: I believe real trucks (with or w/o 4x4) will do just fine. Turning the beast around, should that be needed, could take a little effort.

Last year, we almost plowed a PU 2x4 that was turning around and got the rear axle stuck in a ditch. We were able to get part him and then out of the kindness of our hearts, we hooked up to his front end and yanked him sideways out of his grave. It was during a leg of the race that everyone was having difficulty choosing the correct route so we did all this in less then two minutes. Then we raced off again and made our average time perfectly to the next check point. Just the rewards of quickly assessing the situation, having the right equipment, working well as a team and being a hero. Also, if helped not caring if we rip off the dudes front end. [Just kiding.]

Oh well my dad said no cause he didn't want "the beast" to get beat up *cough* wimp *cough*. Oh well....... :huh:

They even had folks planted at one particularly nasty pit, with winch and chains ready just on the off chance someone took it at the wrong angle.

Oh, ya. That was the most challenging spot. We had it locked into 4x4 Low there because that was the section we spent the extra time helping the PU. We passed the winch-ologists so fast, there wasn't even time to wave... Even if I would have been willing to let go of our truck. :huh:

Those guys also did what AAA wouldn't do. They towed the want-a-bee 4x4 with the open oil pan through that pit and dropped them off at the pavement.

Thanks.....

Sure glad I also have a devious mind as I fortunately found it quickly. Even though I'm all the way in the east bay and yet, I've received at least 5 lifeline calls from this one.

Sorry everyone...I was traveling when all this discussion took place. Congrats GeoBandits on your find. I hope my cache wasn't TOO painful.

. I was thinking that we all meet at the Wait untill Dark cache at around 7pm.

Sounds like a plan. Z & I are ready for the adventure(Z just wants Pizza!) :unsure: So far the only other cachers going with us is Alan from Geosharks. Anyone else need a lift? :o Plenty of room. :D Lets see, Batteries-check,Camara-check,GPS-check,Flashlight-check, Maps-check,Money-check, Cell-check, Permission from wifey-OOPS!,......... :D

I live in Dublin and plan to join you looking for the cache. I went to the starting coords Sunday morning and hiked the first quarter mile. The staging area has parking for only 6 cars. It may be better to meet at the pizza place. Let me know what you guys settle on.

. I was thinking that we all meet at the Wait untill Dark cache at around 7pm.

Sounds like a plan. Z & I are ready for the adventure(Z just wants Pizza!) :P So far the only other cachers going with us is Alan from Geosharks. Anyone else need a lift? B) Plenty of room. ;) Lets see, Batteries-check,Camara-check,GPS-check,Flashlight-check, Maps-check,Money-check, Cell-check, Permission from wifey-OOPS!,......... B)

I'm still good to go! I sent an invite to two of my caching comrades.

I'll let you know if they will join us.

Lets see, Batteries-check,Camara-check,GPS-check,Flashlight-check, Maps-check,Money-check, Cell-check, Permission from wifey-OOPS!,......... ;)

, Infrared Movie Camera-check, Glow in the Dark Wear-check, Double Parking on Other Cachers Cars-check, Pizza bill-check, Having Fun-not checked yet. See you all there.

BTW, don't even think about getting help on my newest cache which should be approved shortly and hunted on Saturday! My lips are sealed. :P

I live in Dublin and plan to join you looking for the cache. I went to the starting coords Sunday morning and hiked the first quarter mile. The staging area has parking for only 6 cars. It may be better to meet at the pizza place. Let me know what you guys settle on.

I will be meeting my mom at the Round Table to drop off the kids that she is entertaining while the Wife and I do the cache. So I will ahve room for 3 if anyone wants to ride from there to the cache site to help avoid parking issues. I will be at Round Table at about 6:30.

Well after what Wacka said I think we should take his advice and meet at the Pizza Place, or event place, at 7pm, after that we'll heard over to the cache site. Any objections?

You should just meet at the trailhead. There is plenty of on street parking within a few hundred feet.

Has anyone else ever had an OTF? (Only to Find) We found a cache on September 19, 2004 and no one else has ever found it! It's still there, cachers are trying to find it, but no one else has.

I challenge you geo-genius types to find this cache: To market, To market

The gauntlet has been thrown down. :rolleyes:

Edited by Outrageous Fortunes

Wish I had read this before we went out to find this one today. But even without this extra advice... WE FOUND IT! Yeah!

Congrats!

Has anyone else ever had an OTF? (Only to Find) We found a cache on September 19, 2004 and no one else has ever found it! It's still there, cachers are trying to find it, but no one else has.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the perfect challenge...Maybe I will make it down there this weekend! :o

FYI, My newest cache is not being approved until I submit each step of the multi for the Geocaching database. I'm not sure this is going to happen. In fact, I'm going to sleep on it before I decide if I'm go out and remove the entire adventure. Not because it wouldn't pass but for several other reasons.

For one reason, Geocaching is going to protect each stage of the multi as if it's a cache. In other words, no one would be able to place another cache within 528 feet radius of each. I guess that includes locations that are information stops and don't even have anything associated with Geocaching. Does that make sense?

What do you all think? Is it fair to have a multi lock up an area so other caches can't infringe?

[i ask hear to my CVC friends but think I'll do some research on threads regarding this rub as well.] :huh:

The gauntlet has been thrown down.  :huh:

But that's past the edge of the Geo-World. I'm afraid because I've heard stories about wondering too far from home. That explains the Lodi Barrier as well. Right Alan?! ;) Good thing I'm no geo-genius.

That's right Bill.....Who dares to go beyond the Great Lodi Barrier?????? ;)

That looks like a long drive for a possible DNF. I might wait for someone else to log a find before I head that far south.

Edited by GeoSharks
When me and JeepySr first planned it we were thinking around 7 or 8, but that was pre-event. Would someone with experience tell me how long it takes to do this cache?

I think it took us about an hour from leaving the car to back to the car. Speed may depend on sure-footedness on a sloppy trail.

I think it might have been a little longer than an hour... Maybe 1.5 hours or so. I just remember that we got back to the car right at 10:00 PM, and I can't believe we started as late as 9:00.

Anyway, I think Janet and I will be interested in going along for the ride again just to get acquainted with some of these names in meatspace.

FYI, My newest cache is not being approved until I submit each step of the multi for the Geocaching database. I'm not sure this is going to happen. In fact, I'm going to sleep on it before I decide if I'm go out and remove the entire adventure. Not because it wouldn't pass but for several other reasons.

For one reason, Geocaching is going to protect each stage of the multi as if it's a cache. In other words, no one would be able to place another cache within 528 feet radius of each. I guess that includes locations that are information stops and don't even have anything associated with Geocaching. Does that make sense?

What do you all think? Is it fair to have a multi lock up an area so other caches can't infringe?

[i ask hear to my CVC friends but think I'll do some research on threads regarding this rub as well.] :huh:

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Personally, I don't see why the powers that be would have issues about having cache placements close to the mid-section of a multi cache...

In fact, what is the difference between this and making a multi with each stage only being 50 yards or so between stages? (I have done plenty of caches like these). There are a few caches locally that have you crossing back-and-forth between stages, with some being very close to one another. I didn't find anything wrong with these.

Oh well...I'm with Laura...If you need me to "check it out" for you Bill, just let me know! :P

I sure you hope you decide to keep it...Unless it's another puzzle cache which I can never seem to solve. :huh::D

Edited by Sanruft

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Personally, I don't see why the powers that be would have issues about having cache placements close to the mid-section of a multi cache...

In fact, what is the difference between this and making a multi with each stage only being 50 yards or so between stages? (I have done plenty of caches like these). There are a few caches locally that have you crossing back-and-forth between stages, with some being very close to one another. I didn't find anything wrong with these.

Oh well...I'm with Laura...If you need me to "check it out" for you Bill, just let me know! :P

I sure you hope you decide to keep it...Unless it's another puzzle cache which I can never seem to solve. :huh::D

I totally agree with you Sanruft! I think you should fight it Bill and maybe even win like we might with our fight with the deranged Green Waste Guy. :D

That looks like a long drive for a possible DNF. I might wait for someone else to log a find before I head that far south.

Ok, it's true, you might not find it , but it's not the only cache in town .... :huh:

You're right, it's not the only cache in town.

Looks like there are plenty in the area to keep a cacher busy for a day or two.

Alright...I might consider the drive south through the GLB.

Torches = flashlights! :huh:

Sorry about the language barrier, we did indeed mean flashlights. I now have a mental image of someone turning up with 2 big sticks with flames on the end, olympic torch style!

The last time we were over here someone had to remind us that the phrase 'Have we got time to smoke a fag?' means something completely different as well.

Tigger

Looks like there are plenty in the area to keep a cacher busy for a day or two.

Alright...I might consider the drive south through the GLB.

We will keep our eyes out for you, Geosharks. We love having visiting cachers down here in Merced :huh: !

Edited by Radikel