Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

All we have to do is set a date.

Probably sometime after the first of the year would be good. Maybe we can encourage a large group to go along. :rolleyes: Bill can be our fearless leader since he has the experience! ;) If not that's alright. We should also plan a trip or trips to blitz the Sack Of Tomato area. :lol:

All we have to do is set a date.

Probably sometime after the first of the year would be good. Maybe we can encourage a large group to go along. :rolleyes: Bill can be our fearless leader since he has the experience! ;) If not that's alright. We should also plan a trip or trips to blitz the Sack Of Tomato area. :lol:

Ya we should cuz other people are constantly comming down here to cache and the Central Valley never goes up there. I dont think the CVC have ever had a blitz.

YIPPEEEE!! I hit #500 tonight!!

It's all uphill from here!

I somehow missed this one way back when! Congrats on the 500 mark. I should have hti it long ago but my limited caching the past few months have kept that at bay. I want to get there before the first of the year. for no other reason than to say I have hit 500. I only have 8 more to go for that mark.

Congrats again to Sanruft & Team Judd on their 500 cache marks.

BTW no one has gone to find Operation Stump Tek 3 in a long time!!! BILL!!!!

Guess you didn't read my DNF log. I did submit one for it didn't I. Anyway, we had a heck of a time trying to find that first tag. Found several tags that could have met the ticket... but the only one that worked out sent us to Henry Cow State Park! :cool: That's Morgan Hill, alright. Good thing I knew better than to go all the way down there. It would be almost as big of a mistake as walking into a mud field. LOL. So regardless, I'm stuck at the starting gate, Peter.

Thanks everyone.  :o

Way to go Ryan! Congrats! That is quite an Accomplishment! :D Your family must be very proud of you. :lol: Let's see, Football, St. Mary's Finals, Eagle scout, Geocaching, where DO you find the time????? 1 more day of finals, yeah!

Let's just say I look like a zombie right now! :o

Ryan-- wanting to add my congrats motivates me to my first post here. I still value the time I spent becoming an Eagle--I think I still have my concgrat letter from Gov. Brown (no, not Jerry--his daddy :lol: ). I don't recall anymore much of the information I learned, but I still use everyday the values I learned from my leaders. Perhaps you'll find that true as well.

So am I the only cache hunter who has been lulled into just following the arrow?

A couple of days ago I was up on Pleasanton Ridge about 3pm and I was going to get one last cache on the way out. It was .25 miles down the hill cross country, or 2+ miles by trail. I figured what the heck, it's not that steep. But ya know what? East facing slopes stay wet and grow poison oak extremely well. Followed deer trails, backtracked when PO got too thick. Finally, less than .1 miles from the destination cache, it was either go through the PO, or try to climb back up the hill.

Didn't want to go back up, so covered up as best I could and took the plunge. No PO symptoms yet. Maybe I'm not too sensitive--I've sure cleared a lot of it from my property at Copperopolis. Anyway, lesson learned. :o

So am I the only cache hunter who has been lulled into just following the arrow?

A couple of days ago I was up on Pleasanton Ridge about 3pm and I was going to get one last cache on the way out. It was .25 miles down the hill cross country, or 2+ miles by trail. I figured what the heck, it's not that steep. But ya know what? East facing slopes stay wet and grow poison oak extremely well. Followed deer trails, backtracked when PO got too thick. Finally, less than .1 miles from the destination cache, it was either go through the PO, or try to climb back up the hill.

Didn't want to go back up, so covered up as best I could and took the plunge. No PO symptoms yet. Maybe I'm not too sensitive--I've sure cleared a lot of it from my property at Copperopolis. Anyway, lesson learned. :o

I find that if I wash up as soon as possible the symptoms don't show themselves or at least very minimally. Iam one who would never "jump right in" since I am severely allergic, and I became a Wildlife Biologist... What was I thinking??? I have definately learned all the treatment methods. The word for the day is Tecnu. pass it on!

Peace!

Didn't want to go back up, so covered up as best I could and took the plunge. No PO symptoms yet. Maybe I'm not too sensitive--I've sure cleared a lot of it from my property at Copperopolis. Anyway, lesson learned. ;)

Cap'n: I did a similar stunt on the "Bayview" cache, which isn't far from you. The difference was, after I got to the bottom of the hill I found myself in a canyon and had to go up the other side to the top of the next hill. It would have been much easier to follow the trail. :o

Anybody know what's up with this new $20 fee fir GSAK? If anyone could get back to me asap cause we're going cahing tomorrow and I'd like to know if I have to pay it if I want to use the program.

From the GSAK web site:

GSAK is FREE to download and use, but after 21 days of unrestricted use you get a nag screen. You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program.

Great program. Worth every penny of that $20.

Hope this helps... have fun tomorrow.

But I already paid $8 earlier. Ugh this whole thing just got confusing!!

Ah.. I didn't know that... I paid earlier too, but it was $15, not $8.

I got a notice after the change that I would not have to register again.

I've been getting all the new updates without any problems.

You should go direct and email your questions to Clyde.

Anybody know what's up with this new $20 fee fir GSAK? If anyone could get back to me asap cause we're going cahing tomorrow and I'd like to know if I have to pay it if I want to use the program.

From the GSAK web site:

GSAK is FREE to download and use, but after 21 days of unrestricted use you get a nag screen. You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program.

Great program. Worth every penny of that $20.

Hope this helps... have fun tomorrow.

Speaking of GSAK, yes,, Clyde has done one heck of a job on this program. It is worth every dollar of the price. The new feature to export clickable waypoints to Topo USA 5 works like a charm. I was really happy to find out the same topo draw file can be imported in to S/A USA 2004 and the clickable waypoints work there too. No need to send DeLorme $99 to get this feature in S/A USA 2005.

Edited by wornout
December 16 by fizzymagic (1683 found)

I raced on over here during lunch to grab this one. Nice placement, and a very nice container. I would not recommend searching for this cache on a busy weekend at the track! You would certainly receive a whole bunch of very funny looks!

I left a Yellow Jeep TB. Maybe that will get those Stockton cachers off their, um, couches!

Anyone in Stockton read Fizzy's blog in Gentlemen Start Your Engines? Well, we were at the Tracy Mall last minute shopping & decided to take care of this firsthand. :lol: Anyone else???????

Edited by JEEPYSR

Didn't want to go back up, so covered up as best I could and took the plunge. No PO symptoms yet. Maybe I'm not too sensitive--I've sure cleared a lot of it from my property at Copperopolis. Anyway, lesson learned. :lol:

Welcome Cap'n. I sure hope you don't regret that PO bath. Remember that it can transfer from your clothing onto your skin and give you the same results! :smile: I know someone that got his wife a reaction after he was out cutting new trails and she wasn't there - but did the laundry. Man, was he in the dog house!

Marky is good with PO and had a lesson last year. Yuk! :D

As WLG pointed out... I've had the best success by washing with soap and water as soon after exposure as possible. However, it's always an interesting two weeks to see if you luck out. Good luck.

If you would like a special Christmas Eve treat, come by Cambio anytime after 6:00pm. A hint of what you'll see is pictured below.

f71253c5-e5a4-4c70-bf9a-0c9b1f83e1e1.jpg

I thought this was the Mickey Grove Zoo Lights (5pm to 8:30pm, this Friday, Saturday and Sunday). My girls have been working there [''as monkies'' I joke]. Maybe we'll stop over to see the Cambio location. Thanks for the lead.

Didn't want to go back up, so covered up as best I could and took the plunge. No PO symptoms yet. Maybe I'm not too sensitive--I've sure cleared a lot of it from my property at Copperopolis. Anyway, lesson learned.  :(

Welcome Cap'n. I sure hope you don't regret that PO bath. Remember that it can transfer from your clothing onto your skin and give you the same results! :( I know someone that got his wife a reaction after he was out cutting new trails and she wasn't there - but did the laundry. Man, was he in the dog house!

Marky is good with PO and had a lesson last year. Yuk! <_<

Also, remember that just because you don't react to it now doesn't mean you won't for ever. The more you are exposed to it, the more likely you will start having allergic reactions to it. So, even if you aren't allergic to it now, steer clear of it at all times. I'm nursing a few breakouts at the moment, nothing worth going to the doctor about, but it's a good reminder for me to be more careful this time of year. This is the time of year that the Sticks of Death (as the Booty Buddies call them) come out to play. Stay away from any bare branches, just to be safe. :o

--Marky

Did you see this!?!

Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

Dec 16, 8:38 PM (ET)

By TED BRIDIS

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush has ordered plans for temporarily disabling the U.S. network of global positioning satellites during a national crisis to prevent terrorists from using the navigational technology, the White House said Wednesday.

Any shutdown of the network inside the United States would come under only the most remarkable circumstances, said a Bush administration official who spoke to a small group of reporters at the White House on condition of anonymity.

The GPS system is vital to commercial aviation and marine shipping.

The president also instructed the Defense Department to develop plans to disable, in certain areas, an enemy's access to the U.S. navigational satellites and to similar systems operated by others. The European Union is developing a $4.8 billion program, called Galileo.

The military increasingly uses GPS technology to move troops across large areas and direct bombs and missiles. Any government-ordered shutdown or jamming of the GPS satellites would be done in ways to limit disruptions to navigation and related systems outside the affected area, the White House said.

"This is not something you would do lightly," said James A. Lewis, director of technology policy for the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. "It's clearly a big deal. You have to give them credit for being so open about what they're going to do."

President Clinton abandoned the practice in May 2000 of deliberately degrading the accuracy of civilian navigation signals, a technique known as "selective availability."

The White House said it will not reinstate that practice, but said the president could decide to disable parts of the network for national security purposes.

The directives to the Defense Department and the Homeland Security Department were part of a space policy that Bush signed this month. It designates the GPS network as a critical infrastructure for the U.S. government. Part of the new policy is classified; other parts were disclosed Wednesday.

The White House said the policies were aimed at improving the stability and performance of the U.S. navigation system, which Bush pledged will continue to be made available for free.

The U.S. network is comprised of more than two dozen satellites that act as beacons, sending location-specific radio signals that are recognized by devices popular with motorists, hikers, pilots and sailors.

Bush also said the government will make the network signals more resistant to deliberate or inadvertent jamming.

Nah, I do that all the time. Through PO, stickers, star thistle, blackberry bushes, brush, trees etc. Last time, Bill and I followed the arrow up the side of a steep hill when the best route was over there <-----

Played Santa to myself this year, this new GPSMAP60CS is great. Guess I'll have to cache a bit longer. <_<

Last time, Bill and I followed the arrow up the side of a steep hill when the best route was over there <-----

Played Santa to myself this year, this new GPSMAP60CS is great. Guess I'll have to cache a bit longer. <_<

Great. You had to bring that trip up. <_< Oh, ya. I can almost see your frost bitten face again. Walking through a little snow and frozen creek, climbing up that mountain and then... the near fatal mistake of free lancing straight up and over the mountain. [Hold on, I need to add another log to the fire place. I'm getting cold again.] All that and we had to bail on the hunt. Thanks for the reminder, Brute. :angry::lol:<_<

Way to go in the proper gift this year. I thought you were using a Mac? If that's the case, you'll need to buy the serial cable because that nice USB cable is worthless to a MAC [thanks to Garmin's no-Mac policy].

So, any out breaks or did you get out scott free? <_<

No poison oak symptoms (yet, anyway).

Spent a couple of days in Bakersfield area (niece's wedding) and searched for a few caches. Except for the virtuals, can't say I enjoyed the cache locations very much, even when I found the cache closest to my boyhood home.

On another topic, our family did our Christmas dinner/gift giving & receiving today and I was given a year's premium membership (or equivalent). I'd really like to get a bright flashlight, maybe LED, that would light up those dark crevices and holes even on a sunny day. Any suggestions?

Hey guys...not much caching lately...*cough* Ryan call me *cough* Anyway.....laura that looks so inticing but i have plans at five...congrats on 200.....Ryan congrats on EAgle again...Finals wer easy as pie...which can be difficult if you have runny ice cream and try to make mudd pie...and im am totally bored because i have nothing to do!!