Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Cool to read CVC in the news. Too bad the writer did such a shallow article when there's so many things happening. Especially since she interviewed so many of us.

Q. Why have only 2 people found Mountain House cache?

A. It had already been muggled during the interviews.

Q. Are there other caches near the Mountain House cache?

A. Sure. There's even a Travel Bug Hotel cache with in a couple miles to the North.

Q. Travel Bug Hotel?

A. It's a cache that Travel Bugs (Gizmo's with Dog Tags) can be easily exchanged. They normally move for cache to cache on some mission that the Geocachers collectively help it accomplish. There's even a race across America going on right now for Travel Bugs.

Q. So why would any adult want to hunt a hidden container?

A. To prove they can. To enjoy a new location. To get out of the house and office. It's fun!

Yeah, I agree with you 100% Bill. The article was fairly weak. :D Erin left out alot of details that I provided so that she could get a firm grasp of what Geocaching is all about. I offered to take her on a cache hunt but she said it wasn't going to fit into her schedule! :blink:

Important details left out of the article that I provided:

Z & the fact that we are a team & our Name is JEEPYSR & everyone has some sort of "Handle" that they go by.

Differences between Cache ratings/sizes

Caching event fosters friendships, competion & comradery

There are several nearby caches to Mtn House

Caching can take you just about anywhere

She mis-spelled Central Valley Cache(ers)

There are way more than 30+ members in the CVC(Many are not subscribers to GC.com & so don't log their finds & many more don't know of this forum for CVC

The fact that I used your name(not your real name) but Green Achers as a Key member in the CVC & in the CVC forums

And much more! I don't think she has a very good grasp of what Geocaching is & how fun it can be. Oh well, any Pub is Good pub someone once said. I just wished she put alittle more effort into the article. :D

On the flip side serveral people in my office are now very interested in Geocaching & soon may be on the hunt. :D

So who else was interviewed i wonder????

Sal & Z of JEEPYSR

Well I am just waiting for approval of my newest cache to have reached my goals for 2004!!! I wanted to have 200 cache finds and 25 placed by the end of the year. So I overshot the finds (I'm currently at 299), I think the history buffs in the crowd will like the cache I placed today in the rain (bringing my totoal up to 25, with only 1 of them being archived). My newest is Bring Out Your Dead!!! I hope it gets approved quickly. It's at the site of an archived virtual near my home. Real interesting bit of history.

Question: Why are there not so many letterbox hybrids around?

Peace!

Hey wildlifeguy,

I just now noticed the little guy in your Avatar. :D We use to capture these guys near the Moke river as kids & keep them for awhile then release them. My uncle told us that they would be much better off in their proper environment than in a terrarium. :lol: The California Tiger Salamanders have quite a History! Anyway, thought this article may interest you as it did me. :lol:

Salamander protections rejected

Sal of JEEPYSR

Question: Why are there not so many letterbox hybrids around?

A. Because letterboxing is a different sport and should have never been included in Geocaching.

Just a guess. LOL. With that guess submited, let me also say that I'm interested in completing a letterbox hybrid so my bio will have an additional icon. It also shows that I've tried it - like benchmarking [oddly enough, I have the same opinion for benchmarking]. I'm also interested in getting a CITO mark too but feel stupid for getting credit for doing something that sould be done without say.

Hey! That was a rant. :lol: Wasn't it!?! :D Sorry guys. :lol:

---------

Thanks JeepySr for the agreement. I completed Mountain House today and was surprised to be the second to sign the new log (and forth to find).

The California Tiger Salamanders have quite a History! Anyway, thought this article may interest you as it did me. :lol:

Sal of JEEPYSR

Oh, Ya? How about those endangered Burrowing Owls that are nesting right next to the Tracy Mall. If you've never seen them, you may just pass right by without seeing them like hundreds of shoppers every day. Hey, How about a Geocache there!?! LOL. Just kidding.

Hey! That was a rant. :lol: Wasn't it!?! :D Sorry guys. :D

:D A Rant!!! You call that a rant?!!?!?!??! :lol: I've seen better rantsw by a six year old girl with ADD...on the topic of ADD....I was recently tested...not positive!! :D Funny how some things work out!! ANyway...am trying to figure out a way to make a cache that will stump everyone.....maybe ill put a listing but not place the cache?! It would make for some fun banter in the forums....also don't you hate muggled caches!! especially ones with great stuff inside like my newest (and only) mysstery cache)...and isnt it funny that poeple get tired of placing regular caches and start putting out myster caches and stupid multis!!?? I'm done....and to count the topics :D I believe i encompassed 7 topics...but that will be debated for a while just like the article in the record!! :D anyway thats 8 :D I'm out.....g2g do homework.....9......and cache you later!!

The California Tiger Salamanders have quite a History! Anyway, thought this article may interest you as it did me.  :lol:

Sal of JEEPYSR

Oh, Ya? How about those endangered Burrowing Owls that are nesting right next to the Tracy Mall. If you've never seen them, you may just pass right by without seeing them like hundreds of shoppers every day. Hey, How about a Geocache there!?! LOL. Just kidding.

The reason it's my avatar.

These are my favorite animals. I too went out and caught them as a youngster, I was fortunate enough to take herpetology in college to learn even more about them, now is the time of year to really get out and see them before they disappear for the season (EVER???). Like mountain lions, nobody really knows how many there are, but with lions they are studied. If it is not cute and cuddly nobody really cares, and who likes slimy salamanders??? I do!

As for the owls Bill, they have state protection. I was on a project once where some nesting burrowing owls were in the way and they just dissappeared one day. They had only been nesting in the same spot for at least 20 years but the week after some construction workers wanted to get through the area the go missing, go figure.

Remember nature bats last. The lesson is that......well another example, remember the woman who sat in the redwood in headwaters for a year so they wouldn't cut it down. They made promises she came down and then a month later some wise elbow went and girdled the tree.

If it seems that I'm rather cynical it is because I am. Sorry but that is why I am in the middle of changing professions.

Now to keep on topic, why not place a geocache near (notice not in) a burrowing owl nest colony. They are some pretty hearty birds, they are not as suseptible to disturbance as some other raptors, and I for one would love to go and watch them, one of only a few diurnal owls. Now if you want to watch something interesting, Harris Hawks of the desert southwest, they are the only polyandrus raptors in the world and they don't mind showing it. Mate for LIFE!!! HAH! Lets do it on a cactus!!! Is this getting to racy???? Ok under 18 ignore the previous post.....

Well now ya'all got me started talking about animals and see where I let it go.

Peace!

Hey! That was a rant.  :D Wasn't it!?!  :D Sorry guys. :D

:lol: A Rant!!! You call that a rant?!!?!?!??! :D I've seen better rantsw by a six year old girl with ADD...on the topic of ADD....I was recently tested...not positive!! :D Funny how some things work out!! ANyway...am trying to figure out a way to make a cache that will stump everyone.....maybe ill put a listing but not place the cache?! It would make for some fun banter in the forums....also don't you hate muggled caches!! especially ones with great stuff inside like my newest (and only) mysstery cache)...and isnt it funny that poeple get tired of placing regular caches and start putting out myster caches and stupid multis!!?? I'm done....and to count the topics :D I believe i encompassed 7 topics...but that will be debated for a while just like the article in the record!! :D anyway thats 8 :D I'm out.....g2g do homework.....9......and cache you later!!

Could have been a false negative. Huh?! :D

________

WLG, I'll send you the coords but I'm not willing to place a cache - nor let a cache get placed - that could upset the natural balance of an environmentalist's attorney. :D:lol:

Edited by Green Achers
and isnt it funny that poeple get tired of placing regular caches and start putting out myster caches and stupid multis!!??

Hmmm,.... Sounds as if Cachecows is stumped on a few new caches put out recently by OF. :D eg Trom's First & Amazing Race destination SeaWorld

Come on Pete, after you tortured us unmercifully & taunted us from a far on your bicycle at the event with those evil hides, surely you're not going to let these 2 caches take you down! :D

If you want a truely evil hide that is neither a Multi nor a Mystery but a genuine 4 star evil hide, may I suggest to you this one! Oakley PD Approved I don't know why this isn't on others watch lists as it is purely evil! :lol:

Good Luck, don't let the cache bugs bite! :lol:

To Camel:

De la recepción camello detrás. We're you're alegre se reclinó y alista para conseguir de nuevo a trabajo sobre Geocaching.

I tried translating it but it didn't quite work out. came up with some jarbled mess fromt he website that translated it for me. the translaters are too literal!

only 3 caches left in the city for me to find....and I've had sick kids and stuff to do.

Just Forum You

Ivy League

Fountain Friendly EDIT, make that 4

River Crossing

*sigh*

Bad news is we placed an offer on a house, and if they accept I'll be so busy it won't be funny. Good news is we place our house on the market, when we get calls for showings I'll go geocaching.

Edited by amytincan
De la recepción camello detrás. We're you're alegre se reclinó y alista para conseguir de nuevo a trabajo sobre Geocaching.

Por favor, no mangullar l'Espanol.

Che prosimmo, Italiano?

Ash'ta Nihongo?

Yes, I'm disappointed that very few have found my two newest caches. Perhaps it's because they are too hard? I guess I'll go back to placing boring old regulars or micros with bad coords........ ;)

Laura Outrageous

Edited by Outrageous Fortunes

Che prosimmo, Italiano?

Ash'ta Nihongo?

Yes, I'm disappointed that very few have found my two newest caches. Perhaps it's because they are too hard? I guess I'll go back to placing boring old regulars or micros with bad coords........ ;)

Laura Outrageous

Maybe when all this rain STOPS!!! we can go out again!!! Keep them HARD!!!

To Camel:

I tried translating it but it didn't quite work out. came up with some jarbled mess fromt he website that translated it for me. the translaters are too literal!

Per http://babelfish.altavista.com

Babel Fish Translation Help

In English:

Of the reception camel behind. We're you're cheers reclined and lists to obtain again to work on Geocaching

Translate again  - Enter up to 150 words 

Bad translation if you ask me. ;)

Laura Outrageous

No! Don't take it personally. I'm just too darn busy and way too lazy (wiped out) when I do get free time. I'll be back on the Stockton cache list soon. There's a growing number of CVC that do puzzle caches and your just cultivating more. Keep those challenging caches coming. :lol: Besides, it will make it easier for me to justify a cache I'm doing especially for you, OF. ;)

If I recall correctly...

''Welcome home Camel. Now that you're rested and renewed, get out there Geocaching again.''

It was either that or...

''Welcome back Camel. Laura's been picking on me and even beat me to the Physics 101 Geocache.''

I can't remember Witch Won. ;)

Edited by Green Achers

Winter.

Hey! Congratulations on the new digs (assuming all the deals go through). Did you talk the dude into leaving his car with the GPS sticker - and of course the GPS?! And who is it? Certainly now a Geocacher. The last cacher that I know that moved up to Oregon was Pepper. She's so sad in the winter when the snow forces her to stop hunting. [sniff] Do let us know if you get a name.

To all you CVC cachers and those RCGDS members that haunt this list (because our email is down):

The SKWERLs and BootyBuddies are about to reach the 1000 find milestone. Since it's not a competition, we decided to throw each other a cache bash at Hoppy Brewing Company on Monday, November 1. The web page for the event isn't up yet, but you can get information about the location in The Happy Hoppy Webcam Cache.

Come help us break the millennium cache barrier. Drop by anytime after 6 PM for a brew or stay for dinner. See you then!

SKWERLyBuddies

Che prosimmo, Italiano?

Ash'ta Nihongo?

Laura Outrageous

LOL..... ok I'll take both of your words for it!!!

To Camel:

Per http://babelfish.altavista.com

Babel Fish Translation Help

In English:

Of the reception camel behind. We're you're cheers reclined and lists to obtain again to work on Geocaching

Translate again  - Enter up to 150 words 

Bad translation if you ask me. ;)

That is what I used to translate it. and that is the translation I got. now you know what I didn't understand it!!! HAHA

If I recall correctly...

''Welcome home Camel. Now that you're rested and renewed, get out there Geocaching again.''

It was either that or...

''Welcome back Camel. Laura's been picking on me and even beat me to the Physics 101 Geocache.''

I can't remember Witch Won. ;)

HAHAHA.... ok now I understand!!! yes I do ned to get back out there and caching!!! besides the one in Mexico I haven't done anything since the event really! :lol:

Well I got a call from a friend of mine who picks up my child from school. He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address) decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was! :lostsignal::unsure: I will scan and post the note later for all to see. So no one more will get the chance to hunt out Lion's Pride

Well I got a call from a friend of mine who picks up my child from school.  He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address)  decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was!  :o  :o  I will scan and post the note later for all to see.    So no one more will get the chance to hunt out  Lion's Pride

Hmmm, That's too bad! :o I wonder How it was discovered? :lostsignal: I recall doing this one while on a Modesto spree. Perhaps it was dislodged & someone thought it was suspicious looking(despite the GC identifying marks). Nice area & school. There has been a lot of this lately as posted in the General Forums. However, you would think it being specifically & properly marked someone would have realised what it was. :unsure:

Well I got a call from a friend of mine who picks up my child from school. He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address) decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was! :lostsignal::unsure: I will scan and post the note later for all to see. So no one more will get the chance to hunt out Lion's Pride

Well if I were the one who decided to blow the cache I would do it. I mean so what if it has www.geocaching.com written on it, it's still a mysterious package at a school. Although I hate it when muggles do this, I think it was the right choice.

He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address) decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was!

$ATM$ requested a moment of silence while we pay our respects to the lost Travel Bugs. I told her it didn't have any bugs so she's fine with things. OMG! I'm sorry to read about this happening Camel.

I hope Modesto will be more considerate in the future. :lostsignal: Maybe an educational email to the trigger happy force is in order!?! But you said ''they KNEW what it was.'' Did they really?

He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address)  decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was!

$ATM$ requested a moment of silence while we pay our respects to the lost Travel Bugs. I told her it didn't have any bugs so she's fine with things. OMG! I'm sorry to read about this happening Camel.

I hope Modesto will be more considerate in the future. :o Maybe an educational email to the trigger happy force is in order!?! But you said ''they KNEW what it was.'' Did they really?

THATS MPD FOR YOU!!!! :o

Good old tax $$$ at its finest :lostsignal:

Sorry to see ur cache is up in smoke camel :unsure:

I need some help on a PDA. I can get a Sony PEGS360 for around $50. However it does not have the setup softwere for the computer. If I am only going to use it for geocaching do I need the softwere, or eill programd like cachemate be able to sent the info to the pda.

Thank You

Is the Sonya PDA or a Pocket PC? If it's the later, CacheMate won't run on it. I don't believe I've ever been able to Beam any Sony so I'm guessing they use a non-compatible OS to Palms.

Regardless, I'm guessing you must have it's software to interface with it. CacheMate doesn't make the connection... it just gets packets of information downloaded when you Synchronize.

I hope that helps. If not, you may want to check out the Software Thread.

Well if I were the one who decided to blow the cache I would do it. I mean so what if it has www.geocaching.com written on it, it's still a mysterious package at a school. Although I hate it when muggles do this, I think it was the right choice.

:lostsignal::unsure::o

We see how the Stockton cachers are!!!!

Ok not ALL just a few...... :o

Edited by GEO BANDITS
The SKWERLs and BootyBuddies are about to reach the 1000 find milestone.  Since it's not a competition, we decided to throw each other a cache bash at Hoppy Brewing Company on Monday, November 1.

Wow. 1000 finds? I'm struggling to make half of that. I wonder if I'll be able to join the celebration!?! Let us know when the gathering is approved. :lostsignal:

Edited by Green Achers

:o:o:(

We see how the Stockton cachers are!!!!

Ok not ALL just a few...... :D

If it had www.Geocaching.com on it there IS no mystery as to what it was! ;) And since when are any bomb devices made out of good ol' tupperware? :lostsignal: If they blew up the cache & there weren't any geocachers there to see it, did it really blow up??? :unsure: I wonder if the log was recovered after detonation & the bomb squad said, "Oops, My Bad!" Those darn Geocachers got us again! I've seen plenty of very suspicious items while out geocaching(not even the cache containers themselves) that would have the bomb squad working overtime. So beware The next time you're working a mirco in a high muggle area watch your back, because you may be suspicious looking & here comes the bomb squad! :o

I need some help on a PDA. I can get  a Sony PEGS360 for around $50. However it does not have the setup softwere for the computer. If I am only going to use it for geocaching do I need the softwere, or eill programd like cachemate be able to sent the info to the pda.

Thank You

Is the Sonya PDA or a Pocket PC? If it's the later, CacheMate won't run on it. I don't believe I've ever been able to Beam any Sony so I'm guessing they use a non-compatible OS to Palms.

Regardless, I'm guessing you must have it's software to interface with it. CacheMate doesn't make the connection... it just gets packets of information downloaded when you Synchronize.

I hope that helps. If not, you may want to check out the Software Thread.

It is a PDA not a Pocket PC. It has palm OS 4 on it. Just not sure what softwere I should use to connect from the PC to the Palm.

"Investigators said they are trying to determine who placed the container near the school."

Camel, you'd better lay low for a while, 'cause the heat's after you. :mad:

But seriously folks, we should all be extra careful about hiding caches. We live in a paranoid world and we have to play by their rules, otherwise they blow up our caches. I wonder how long it will be before Geocaching is outlawed?! ;) Then I won't be doing benign mischief, I'll be doing illegal malicious mischief!!!

Edited by Outrageous Fortunes
The SKWERLs and BootyBuddies are about to reach the 1000 find milestone.  Since it's not a competition, we decided to throw each other a cache bash at Hoppy Brewing Company on Monday, November 1.

Wow. 1000 finds? I'm struggling to make half of that. I wonder if I'll be able to join the celebration!?! Let us know when the gathering is approved. :mad:

The event has been approved - 1000 Nuts is a Lotta Booty

See you there!

He brought home a note that stated that the Modesto Bomb Sqaud (despite it being competely marked stating it was a geocache complete with the web address)  decided to blow up the cache even though they KNEW what it was!

I hope Modesto will be more considerate in the future. ;) Maybe an educational email to the trigger happy force is in order!?! But you said ''they KNEW what it was.'' Did they really?

What upsets me the most is that they apparantely knew what it was prior to detonation but still decided to blow it up. It had geocaching.com written all over it. :huh: Am I glad they are checking things. YES. BUT if they know what it is then why are they blowing it up?!?!?! :mad:

Maybe an educational email to the trigger happy force is in order!?! But you said ''they KNEW what it was.'' Did they really?

I can't be certain but that is how the letter read they sent home. I'll try to scan it or take a picture of it for all to see.

I am afraid to send an "educational letter" to them as then they will know it was me. And I remember reading about one particular fellow who had to go to court and was fined for having his blown up. (read it once upon a time int he CVC forums)

This is enough for me to quit the sport. I am going to archive and pull all my caches this weekend. I love this hobby, but it is not worth the aggravation that Camel is going to have to go through. Bummer!

All I have to say is if that cache was marked www.geocaching.com and the MPD did not take 5 mins. to go look that up them %%@# on them. There @ a school and had internet right there, iam sure they got wireless with all our tax $$$. Sorry this makes me so mad that they have to take such a little thing and make it a big deal and to BLOW up a rubber maid or something close to that container. Ok i had to vent some here........ but come on MPD..shows how #%$%# they are some times.

This is enough for me to quit the sport. I am going to archive and pull all my caches this weekend. I love this hobby, but it is not worth the aggravation that Camel is going to have to go through. Bummer!

All I have to say is if that cache was marked www.geocaching.com and the MPD did not take 5 mins. to go look that up them %%@# on them. There @ a school and had internet right there, iam sure they got wireless with all our tax $$$. Sorry this makes me so mad that they have to take such a little thing and make it a big deal and to BLOW up a rubber maid or something close to that container. Ok i had to vent some here........ but come on MPD..shows how #%$%# they are some times.

I don't disagree, but then again, these aren't rocket scientists we are dealing with here.

It is very unfortunate that it has come to this, but quite frankly, the trouble he (Camel680) is about to enter into was enough to convince me to pull all of my caches. It is not disrupting my entire livelyhood for any game. I work with Camel680 and live across from him and to see the fear and sickness he is going through over this has settled it for me. I will be helping him in any way that I can.

Terrorists win again...It makes me sick.