Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I agree with one of the earlier posts... get GSAK. It will create your cachemate files and a lot more. GSAK is a great program.

Where'd all the fish go?? Hey, GeoSharks! I didn't see you there. :D

Ya, I agree. I was totally basing that information off my Macintosh. Since I just got a PC [to control my new GPSr] I took the liberty of downloading CMConvert. It's way different and much easier on the Macintosh using MacCMConvert. Rayn had called me and I couldn't understand why it was confusing him but now it's crystal clear. Now I'm off to up load your suggestion for my PC.

Thanks. :mad:

I think we should start calling this thread the public library because you can hear a pin drop. Is everyone just too busy these days? :lol:

Today I hunted Where the Asphalt Ends, and the West Begins by Uncle Al. What a surprising find that place is. For those of you that haven't hunted it, I think you need to put it on your radar. Also, for those of you that celebrate Holloween [we don't], the place is going to be in full form on Oct 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30 and [surprise me] the 31. Gates open at 5 PM and they'll lock you in at 10 PM. There's a reasonable entry fee too but I don't want to make this a marking ploy as I get nothing from this and won't be there either. [Footnote: I believe this will be Wheel Chair accessable as they'll be opening the main-rusty-old-squeeky-scarry gates.] ;)

Sorry to have missed that night hike Bill. I was really looking forward to it then something urgent came up and I couldn't go ;):lol: Maybe next time. I'm still looking for a good cache to make my 300th. any suggestions? I went to the asphalt ending cache and the west begins thing. We went to eat, toured around the place, got home then realized it was a virt. We'll get that one yet. Lots of kitties and chickens for Bug to chase around. Now I have got alot of Stockton caches to get!!!!

Peace!

I think we should start calling this thread the public library because you can hear a pin drop. Is everyone just too busy these days? :o

Today I hunted Where the Asphalt Ends, and the West Begins by Uncle Al. What a surprising find that place is. For those of you that haven't hunted it, I think you need to put it on your radar. Also, for those of you that celebrate Holloween [we don't], the place is going to be in full form on Oct 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30 and [surprise me] the 31. Gates open at 5 PM and they'll lock you in at 10 PM. There's a reasonable entry fee too but I don't want to make this a marking ploy as I get nothing from this and won't be there either. [Footnote: I believe this will be Wheel Chair accessable as they'll be opening the main-rusty-old-squeeky-scarry gates.] :laughing:

I was watching television today and I noticed something. I saw an ad for Gary Podesto for State Senate and I noticed that it was flimed in Pollered Ville where the cache that you were talking about is at. Just wanted to get out some random info. :blink:

I was watching television today and I noticed something. I saw an ad for Gary Podesto for State Senate and I noticed that it was flimed in Pollered Ville where the cache that you were talking about is at. Just wanted to get out some random info. :blink:

Now that's scary. :laughing: [Just kidding] Yes, I heard about that. There's been a TV camera or two in there over the years. :o

I'm not a message board newbie, but this thread is awfully long.

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi, I'm Amy, live in Ripon and am itching to go out. I need instant relief, so I think i'll get a cheapie GPS so I can play with it.

Check out my profile to learn more about me. I can't wait to post my first find. Does anybody have any suggestions, based on the cache's you know about, which one I should try first?

In the meantime, I'll be dreaming up items to leave in the caches and planning my first very own cache for the future.

I'm still looking for a good cache to make my 300th. any suggestions?

I for one would be impressed if you made it this cache! :laughing:

Got it! DOes this mean you're impressed??? Thats a great cache and it looks like I was the one who stuck that TB into it for over the winter. Several people tried after me and looks like now it's gonna be there until the spring thaw. I guess that's what happens when TB's bad mouth my Spiders. Ha ha ha!!!

Anybody else got some good sugestions for a 300th milestone? Marky? ANy in the Bay Derrier you would recommend? Maybe I'll shoot for that Webcam at the store in SJ this up coming weeked. Weird things or something like that........I'm at 298 and counting.

Peace!

I'm not a message board newbie, but this thread is awfully long.

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi, I'm Amy, live in Ripon and am itching to go out. I need instant relief, so I think i'll get a cheapie GPS so I can play with it.

Check out my profile to learn more about me. I can't wait to post my first find. Does anybody have any suggestions, based on the cache's you know about, which one I should try first?

In the meantime, I'll be dreaming up items to leave in the caches and planning my first very own cache for the future.

I think we are going for some kind of record on this thing.

Good caches in Ripon. Pheromone comes to mind eh Farmer Bill!!???

Peace!

Nice to see you back Sanruft. How was the trip?

Thanks! It's good to be back!

The trip was loooonnnggg, but productive. I had a little time for some caching so I did some in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the UK. The view from the top of the Alps was amazing. I want to go back again some day. (Oktoberfest in Munich was pretty fun as well! ~ I even bought asome lederhosen (sp?) and wore them to the event! {As well as when my wife and kids picked me up at the airport! :laughing: } )

I am already dreading my next trip. I will be going to Spain for 1 week and the UK again for another week. :blink:

(At least it's only 14 days this time instead of 22!!)

I heard your event was a huge success! All of the people I spoke to really enjoyed themselves. I was really bummed that I couldn't go. Maybe next time!

Looks like there are some new caches here that popped-up while I was away. I need to get busy with some local caching! (If that darned work load wasn't so heavy!!) :o:P

Edited by Sanruft
Anybody else got some good sugestions for a 300th milestone? Marky? ANy in the Bay Derrier you would recommend?

If you want a real adventure, you could do any of the "Lord of the Rings" series of multis. They are doable in one day, but only if you are a big Lord of the Rings trivia guy. Return of the King was my favorite of the three, but Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers fall into the "epic cache" category. All three require a fair amount of driving and hiking and mild puzzle solving, along with answering Lord of the Rings trivia.

Another amazing multi in the Santa Cruz mountains is Kealia's Mountain History cache. This one will take you to some interesting historic sites (all stages besides the final are pretty much drive bys) with the final cache taking you on a neat hike to a location that you never would have arrived at on your own. No trivia involved here, just standard questions from historic plaques, etc. Great way to spend a few hours.

--Marky

I could overnight the yellow e-trex for about $100, should I do it?

Target has them for about $80.00 and they usually have them in stock.

I noticed that our local Target has removed the GPS section altogether. I think Target maybe be phasing out GPS sales.

--Marky

Marky, I called Target in Modesto on Sisk and in Manteca, and nobody even knew what I was talking about. I would love to go in this evening, I'll see if I get away. My hubby has headed to Valley Sporting Goods in Modesto for a down jacket. I promised him something special if he brought me home a GPS.

On another note: I looked up my coordinates on my address on Maporama, and this is what it came up with.

Lat-Long:

37° 44' 3" , -121° 7' 50"

37.7344 , -121.1308

I was going to plug it in my profile, but I wasn't sure which parts to put in.

I also found some items to leave in caches-I think they are cool. How do I know if they're cool? Just leave them and see what happens?

Marky, I called Target in Modesto on Sisk and in Manteca, and nobody even knew what I was talking about. I would love to go in this evening, I'll see if I get away. My hubby has headed to Valley Sporting Goods in Modesto for a down jacket. I promised him something special if he brought me home a GPS.

On another note: I looked up my coordinates on my address on Maporama, and this is what it came up with.

Lat-Long:

37° 44' 3" , -121° 7' 50"

37.7344 , -121.1308

I was going to plug it in my profile, but I wasn't sure which parts to put in.

I also found some items to leave in caches-I think they are cool. How do I know if they're cool? Just leave them and see what happens?

Welcome!!!! More Ripon Cacher's!!!!!! ;)

Try Best Buy, We have bought a few gps'rs from there.

Also try the Ripon Caches close to home!!! :ph34r:

Just Forum You cache: I don't understand the directions on looking in the forum to find the rest of the coordinates. How am I supposed to find these coordinates in 95 pages! Could you give me a hint? Would they be in Green Achers posts? ;)

OK, I'll bite. Since I'm the creator, I'd focus on things I've posted. Likely around the time period of the cache creation. Remember it could be after that date or BEFORE! ;) [Now watch several cacher find it all of a sudden. LOL]

Like Ryan said, welcome to the den. :D Don't worry about a little rain either. That's what zip lock baggies are for - GPSr weather proofing. :ph34r:

Anybody else got some good sugestions for a 300th milestone? Marky? ANy in the Bay Derrier you would recommend?

If you want a real adventure, you could do any of the "Lord of the Rings" series of multis. They are doable in one day, but only if you are a big Lord of the Rings trivia guy. Return of the King was my favorite of the three, but Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers fall into the "epic cache" category. All three require a fair amount of driving and hiking and mild puzzle solving, along with answering Lord of the Rings trivia.

Another amazing multi in the Santa Cruz mountains is Kealia's Mountain History cache. This one will take you to some interesting historic sites (all stages besides the final are pretty much drive bys) with the final cache taking you on a neat hike to a location that you never would have arrived at on your own. No trivia involved here, just standard questions from historic plaques, etc. Great way to spend a few hours.

--Marky

Hey Wildlife guy,

if you want to do a LOTR type cache there's one abit closer. It's located near Elk Grove area & is very nicely done. Cache of the Rings

Z & I both really enjoyed doing this cache. We are both LOTR fans, I read the book in High School while Z Watched the movie in his 6th grade class. It was great! You really must have good knowlege of the book/movie.

Some other caches that I may suggest are : A Claustrophobic's Nightmare AHHH HA HA HA & Survior Sacramento

I Have these on my do do list.

Take care,

Sal & Z

So, it seems the CVC are pretty active? Do our local areas have more caches than other areas in California?

Yes, CVCers are pretty active. It might help that you really don't have to live in the valley between Merced and Galt. I live in the foothills, many folks on these boards and in the "group" live in Sac or the Bay area. Our numbers are kinda pumped up because we are the center of the state, and if anybody is going anywhere in the state they will usually have to pass through here. That makes these cachers seem active. There are other active areas in the state like the Bay area (BADGES) and Sac (RCGDS). And those are just the nearest other groups! There are active groups all over the country. When you get the chance, cruise the other parts of the board. I have ad cpnversations with people all across the country and the world involving this hobby. Mostly asking "WHere's my TB!!!?!?!?!"

I wouldn't say we have more caches than other areas. I would say quite a few of them are more difficult than other areas. We do have a certain few here that ae quite devious. In some areas it is just the game to fool the muggles, here it seems that the players play to fool/stump other players. Realize this as you go to find some of the more difficult caches. DNF's are not neccessarily a bad thing. You are just in an area, probably the best area, for some very difficult caches. The good news is that after a DNF most cache owners in this area are more than happy to help.

Oh and did I say WELCOME!!!!????

Peace!

Welcome Amytincan! You're joining a sport full of nuts, watch out!

And welcome back Ted&Rosa and Sanruft!

I was starting to worry about you Ted. Glad to see you were FTF on Trom's First. Trom's sneaky isn't he? If you liked that one try Is It Safe? :)

And Sanruft......so sorry you missed all the hilarity at the Event. We all had a great time. In fact the event was so much fun I'm thinking of hosting another one with a different game. Did you hear the Smithsonian took one of the caches for an exhibit? :):)

-Laura of Outrageous Fortunes

OK, I got my GPS. Finally. Its a Garmin eTrex Legend got it at Circuit City.

I went to Best Buy, Target, GoodGuys, Comp USA and Walmart. They didn't have anything close to my pricerange, except Walmart--it had a 2 way radio on it. Went to Valley Sporting Goods and almost bought the Gecko 3. On the way out of VSP I couldn't get over to turn L so I ended up on Sylvan which took me by circuit city. Bingo. They had the yellow ETrex but I got the legend for just a bit more. They also have a cheap Magellan if anybody is looking for one.

I found my first cache but it was by cheating (without GPS) I will go back with GPS and double check with the coordinates.

Amy

I'm really sorry to overrun this thread.....I'm getting all up and running here...

I have my palm desktop loaded and my palm hotsynced.

I purchased the cachemate and I guess i am about to download it.

Now, do I still need EasyGPS in order to get pocket queries? I guess I'm a little confused. I've read way too many FAQ's and Support pages....

Well I hit 299 today with a FTF on Isolino's Altaville School House. Really weird! Iwas going to place one there in the exact same spot. Won't be able to get 300 until this weekend. The wife has allowed me Saturday to find a good one to get. Thank you all for the suggestions so far, I'm mulling them over and wish I had a few more to choose from to really make a wise and informed choice.

Peace!

I wasn't going to post again....but hey...

I went out today for Stanislaus Tupperware and got skunked. I called it quits early because we were hungry and the littlest one was crabby. (she's 4)

But I wanted to share what happened, it was kinda funny. I had turned on the palm and the GPSr and had my back to the trail. I hear voices so I hide the devices...There are two men coming up the trail and one had a GPS too, I think he palmed it really quick.

They got in their car and left, I was just flabbergasted. THe first time I try to find a cache with GPS and I see another cacher. It blows my mind this secret sport is everywhere and I've never come across a cache or a cacher.

I went back by the first cache I found to see if somebody logged after mine yesterday, it was. I can't wait to see if they found the ones out at the river park. Was it any of you?

Next time, I'll ask if they found it.

Edited by amytincan

I generally wear geocaching.com shirts when I'm caching, so it's pretty easy to tell I'm a geocacher. That, and the sportrak color glued to my hand. I don't think most other cachers would mind if you asked them if they found the cache (especially if it is obvious that they are geocachers).

--Marky

And welcome back Ted&Rosa and Sanruft!

I was starting to worry about you Ted. Glad to see you were FTF on Trom's First. Trom's sneaky isn't he? If you liked that one try Is It Safe? :lol:

And Sanruft......so sorry you missed all the hilarity at the Event. We all had a great time. In fact the event was so much fun I'm thinking of hosting another one with a different game. Did you hear the Smithsonian took one of the caches for an exhibit? B)B)

Thanks Laura - I am looking forward to hearing some stories about the event.

Hey AmyTinCan, Watch out for this cacher. Especially for the rest of this month. B) She can make things dissapear in front of everyone's eyes. :lol: Caches, NewsPaper Boxes, Log Books.

Edited by Green Achers