Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

UP COMING EVENTS...

10/9/04 at 2 PM is RCGDS Nuclear Family Reunion. I feel strangly drawn to this event. If you don't know our Geo-Family to the North, let me be the first to introduce you to a great group of people - The River City Geocaching & Dining Society (aka, RCGDS).

10/16/04 at 7 PM is Touch The Twilight Cache. It's up Mission Peak at night so bring someone special. :D [it's an EBRP so don't bother bringing your shovels or wire clippers this time. They know we've been using these tools but just haven't caught us yet. :P Also, bringing a medium plastic bag for CITO can't hurt. ;) ]

11/13-14/04 is GPS & GeoCaching Camp. Camp Brochure. I'm guessing this will be a great introduction to anyone starting out or having difficulties. [No Laura. I'm not going!]

Foot note: Yesterday was the Bay Area Dining & Geocaching Enthusiasts Society (aka, BADGES) which moves around the whole Bay Area. It's a great group and always well attended by enjoyable people. Look for their next up coming event in a couple months.

Now, the next CVC Gathering is going to be put on by [unknown] and is slated for [TBD]. Anyone intested in stepping up to the plate? Grouping us is allowed.

UP COMING EVENTS..

10/16/04 at 7 PM is Touch The Twilight Cache. It's up Mission Peak at night so bring someone special. :D [it's an EBRP so don't bother bringing your shovels or wire clippers this time. They know we've been using these tools but just haven't caught us yet. :P Also, bringing a medium plastic bag for CITO can't hurt. ;) ]

Z & I would like to do this one!!!:) This seems like a cool cache to do. :D Anyone in Stockton interested in going? I have room for 6. We can make a day of it & cache along the way also? :D Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

UP COMING EVENTS..

10/16/04 at 7 PM is Touch The Twilight Cache. It's up Mission Peak at night so bring someone special. <_< [it's an EBRP so don't bother bringing your shovels or wire clippers this time. They know we've been using these tools but just haven't caught us yet. :wacko: Also, bringing a medium plastic bag for CITO can't hurt. ;) ]

Z & I would like to do this one!!!:ph34r: This seems like a cool cache to do. :lol: Anyone in Stockton interested in going? I have room for 6. We can make a day of it & cache along the way also? :lol: Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Growing up in the shadow of that mountain I am very interested in doing this. I'll see what I can do to get the time to go. I'll need to make some arraingements but am gonna try!

Thanks for the Heads Up GA

Peace!

UP COMING EVENTS...

10/16/04 at 7 PM is Touch The Twilight Cache. It's up Mission Peak at night so bring someone special. <_< [it's an EBRP so don't bother bringing your shovels or wire clippers this time. They know we've been using these tools but just haven't caught us yet. :wacko: Also, bringing a medium plastic bag for CITO can't hurt. ;) ]

That would be very fun indeed and I think Muh Lil' Wifey and I would have fun but we will be in Cabo San Lucas on that day. (and for the entire week actually!) and speaking of... has anyone been and know of the most important caches to do? I won't have too much time... (partying hard!!!!!) but I do want to atleast do a couple of them.

Now, the next CVC Gathering is going to be put on by [unknown] and is slated for [TBD]. Anyone intested in stepping up to the plate? Grouping us is allowed.

Tim and I had been discussing one. However we are trying to match our calendars up on this one.... As we both have a lot of work travels and vacationing coming up. So we might not get to do it until late December or January.

So with that said if anyone wants to step up to the plate earlier than that let me know and I am mroe than willing to help with the planning!!!

...That would be very fun indeed and I think Muh Lil' Wifey and I would have fun but we will be in Cabo San Lucas on that day. (and for the entire week actually!) and speaking of... has anyone been and know of the most important caches to do?...

One cache is all it takes to prove you were there. When we were there last, we hunted zero caches. Part because we were having too much fun and the other part was we didn't want anyone to know we were there because of all the fun we were having. :(

I would definately have Laura go to the plate but seeing as she has just hit a homerun on the last event...I think we'll give her a rest.....Bill....your turn!

Thanks for the vote my little Bar-B-Que friend. Seeing how I've co-hosted three gatherings and can't commit to attending any gatherings, I'd say it would be out of turn for me to take the honor way from someone more deserving than myself. Besides... I have a farm to run. :(

Hi! Excuse me for popping in on this forum. I'm one of the people helping to organize the GPS/Geocaching camp in Springville mentioned a few posts up by Green Achers, and I'm curious where you heard about it. I had originally come here to post some information about it, and was happy to see that it had already crossed the radar screen. It's probably too basic a course for anyone here, since we are aiming towards people who are fairly new to GPS and geocaching, but we think it can accommodate "veterans" as well. So please, if you know anyone who might be interested in the camp, spread the word. We are having fun planning it, that's for sure. I should also mention that the owners of the Ranch are planning to maintain a few caches on the property after the workshop is over. I can give more info if anyone wants it. Thanks! Becky

[/p]

River Ridge Ranch-GPS camp

I saw this post in the San Francisco thread. Thought some of you might be interested.

My sister-in-law's sister-in-law just sent me some information about a GPS/geocaching weekend event coming up (tentatively scheduled for mid-November) in the Sierra foothills near Sequoia National Park. You can see the info by going to:

http://www.river-ridge.net/

and clicking on "GPS & Geocaching Camp." I hadn't heard of this place before, but one of the owners is my SIL's SIL's sister. (Still with me? :-)) I just read the About Us part, and evidently it's a ranch that was saved from development and is now permanently a conservation area. I probably won't make it down for this event, but they seem to have a lot of interesting outdoor educational classes and events.

If any of you hang out in the discussion areas for central and southern California, feel free to forward this information to them.

Camel did it. We wheren't even near it when it happened. Ya. It's his fault. :P

Besides... I have a farm to run.  :D

Excuses, Excuses! :P OK Maybe we'll let you off the hook also!!!!! Especially since you were kind enough to let my 3 year old feed the goats & Llama. She won't stop talking about it! :P

BILL......THIS IS CRUCIAL INFORMATION...WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME YOU HAD A LLAMA!!!!!!! YAY!!! I LOVE LLAMAS!!!!

Edited by cachecows209
Besides... I have a farm to run.  :D

Excuses, Excuses! :D OK Maybe we'll let you off the hook also!!!!! Especially since you were kind enough to let my 3 year old feed the goats & Llama. She won't stop talking about it! :P

BILL......THIS IS CRUCIAL INFORMATION...WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME YOU HAD A LLAMA!!!!!!! YAY!!! I LOVE LLAMAS!!!!

Apparantly you haven't done Pheromone yet.... if you do then you get too see baby goats. (3 weeks new if I remember correctly) and a Llama. loads of fun to be had. If you go at the right time you might even get greeted by the local friendly farmer! :P

UP COMING EVENTS...

10/9/04 at 2 PM is RCGDS Nuclear Family Reunion. I feel strangly drawn to this event. If you don't know our Geo-Family to the North, let me be the first to introduce you to a great group of people - The River City Geocaching & Dining Society (aka, RCGDS).

10/16/04 at 7 PM is Touch The Twilight Cache. It's up Mission Peak at night so bring someone special. B) [it's an EBRP so don't bother bringing your shovels or wire clippers this time. They know we've been using these tools but just haven't caught us yet. :) Also, bringing a medium plastic bag for CITO can't hurt. :D ]

11/13-14/04 is GPS & GeoCaching Camp. Camp Brochure. I'm guessing this will be a great introduction to anyone starting out or having difficulties. [No Laura. I'm not going!]

Foot note: Yesterday was the Bay Area Dining & Geocaching Enthusiasts Society (aka, BADGES) which moves around the whole Bay Area. It's a great group and always well attended by enjoyable people. Look for their next up coming event in a couple months.

Thanks for the heads up Bill

We are going to try our best to be at the one event tomorrow. My "stats" are up to 285 found and I want to try and make touch the twilight my 300th. I think I have permission from the wife to do that one by myself (at least without her and Bug). Funny how your suggestion of the Danville night hike was our 100th cache and now I'm trying to make another of your suggestions another milestones. Thanks.

P.S. Bug likes farms. Any way to convince you to have a farm day event? When we went to the fair Bug just loved the petting zoo. She cried when we left after being in there for over an hour. Nothing like the sight of a 21 month old girl kissing a pig!!!! I don't want you to feel any pressure here. B)B)B)B):D

5d294714-9a7a-4507-af38-3e65d970012d.jpgI think Bill should do an event I mean everyone wants him to do it! Oh BTW I won't remove is picture untill u make one :P Oh for those of you that don't know what this picture is let me explain it to you. This was when Bill of Green Achers was looking for a cache that was hidden from the event cache. (Just a little pay back) Oh yeah I forgot to add, he didn't find the cache either, another women cacher (Sorry I forgot who it was) came by and found it before he did, and he was looking for 5 more minutes then she did. :P Edited by TeamTek

Next time I'll take the Tar and Feathering. :P Yes, it was a - ahm - bad day. Yes, it's true I DNF Laura's cache and this time it had nothing to do with poor coordinates. Oh no. I have no one to blame for that DNF but myself.

So let's see. Laura 1. Bill 0. Looks like it's time for a GA cache. :P

Edited by Green Achers

Well I'm here to report to the CVC that the RCGDS Nuclear Family Reunion event was very nice today. I was hoping to see more of CVC represented but thats ok. Ya'all missed some very good desserts!!! The cache contest was wonderful and it's probably a good thing not too many CVCers were there because now I'm gonna have to incorporate some truely evil ideas learned into some caches for you guys.

Well, just need to get 11 more by Friday to make the Mission Peak night hike my 300th. I think it's been a while since I've been to Modesto, so I should be able to pick up 11 there no problem. I'll start my planning tonight for a Modesto assault on monday or tuesday. The Modesto/Rippon cachers have any suggestions for good caches in their area I shouldn't miss?? Any help is always appreciated.

Peace!

Q. Which CVC Town is currently hurting for new caches?

Clue: 4Wheeler knows the answer.  :D

I know that one also!(Hand raised) A: Mtn. House! :D Z & I just got back from there. We were sure to have a FTF on that one but TeamAlamo beat us. :lol: Atleast we were FTL!(First to Log) :( Is there going to be any farm land left????? :D

Z & I just got back from there. We were sure to have a FTF on that one but TeamAlamo beat us.

Oh, good! Now I can go get it! I always wait for Team Alamo to log them first so I don't get run over. :lol:

Seriously, I am looking forward to many good caches in Mountain House. But if there hasn't been any truly evil placement there within a month, I will do one of mine, and then you'll all be sorry... :(

Z & I just got back from there. We were sure to have a FTF on that one but TeamAlamo beat us.

Oh, good! Now I can go get it! I always wait for Team Alamo to log them first so I don't get run over. :lol:

Seriously, I am looking forward to many good caches in Mountain House. But if there hasn't been any truly evil placement there within a month, I will do one of mine, and then you'll all be sorry... :(

Sorry? I'm already sorry. :D Still trying to complete most all of your puzzle caches Fizzy. One closer to home would take priority of course. :D

Good job JeepySr and congratulations to TA.

Farm land? No we're not keeping it. :D There's plenty of non-farmable land that we'll be working in the future after it's too late. Anyone know the official location of the California State Soil? Yes, there is a State Soil! :D [sorry. Hit a nerve.]

Farm land? No we're not keeping it. :lol:  There's plenty of non-farmable land that we'll be working in the future after it's too late. Anyone know the official location of the California State Soil? Yes, there is a State Soil!  :( [sorry. Hit a nerve.]

San Joaquin Series Soil, Madera perhaps?

California’s Great Central Valley has more than 500,000 acres of San Joaquin soils, named for the south end of that valley. This series is the oldest continuously recognized soil series within the State. It is one of California’s Benchmark Soils, and a profile of it is displayed in the Netherlands World Soil Museum. The San Joaquin series became the Official State Soil in 1997, the result of efforts by students and teachers from Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in Madera, natural resource professionals, the Professional Soil Scientists Association of California, legislators, and various state universities.

These soils are used for irrigated crops, such as wheat, rice, figs, almonds, oranges, and grapes, and for pasture and urban development. San Joaquin soils formed in old alluvium on hummocky topography. A cemented hardpan a few feet beneath the surface restricts roots and water percolation.

Peace!

Well I'm here to report to the CVC that the RCGDS Nuclear Family Reunion event was very nice today. I was hoping to see more of CVC represented but thats ok. Ya'all missed some very good desserts!!! The cache contest was wonderful and it's probably a good thing not too many CVCers were there because now I'm gonna have to incorporate some truely evil ideas learned into some caches for you guys.

We had a blast there, and are happy to report that we hid the cache that won one of the awards. So anyone who attended the Nuclear Family Reunion will have an advantage when they come down to the San Jose area. Don't give any hints to those that didn't attend. Let them suffer! :blink:

--Marky

We had a blast there, and are happy to report that we hid the cache that won one of the awards. So anyone who attended the Nuclear Family Reunion will have an advantage when they come down to the San Jose area. Don't give any hints to those that didn't attend. Let them suffer! :blink:

--Marky

Arggg... I was there, I saw you win.. but I don't remember what your prize was!

California’s Great Central Valley has more than 500,000 acres of San Joaquin soils...  These soils are used for irrigated crops, such as wheat, rice, figs, almonds, oranges, and grapes, and for pasture and urban development.

Good job guys. There's one more use for those soils. Houses! [/Rant]

Thanks Marky for rubbing it in. I'm glad to see missing that gathering will continue to haunt me. LOL. Now I'm wondering how but I'm sure time will tell.

Three more days until Touch The Twilight! :blink:

Edited by Green Achers

We had a blast there, and are happy to report that we hid the cache that won one of the awards. So anyone who attended the Nuclear Family Reunion will have an advantage when they come down to the San Jose area. Don't give any hints to those that didn't attend. Let them suffer! :lol:

Arggg... I was there, I saw you win.. but I don't remember what your prize was!

No, I kept the cache that won. That's what I hid. (My prize was a stuffed signal :anibad: )

--Marky

The Smithsonian came and took this cache away. They are starting a new collection called "Caches Green Achers Couldn't Find". :o

But it's still there in the picture, isn't it?

Isn't it?

You folks better get cracking on some new caches in Mountain House, or you'll be sorry!

BTW, am I the only one who can't stop thinking "Mountain House. Good to the last drop" every time I read that name?

The Smithsonian came and took this cache away. They are starting a new collection called "Caches Green Achers Couldn't Find".  ;)

Isn't it?

You folks better get cracking on some new caches in Mountain House, or you'll be sorry!

BTW, am I the only one who can't stop thinking "Mountain House. Good to the last drop" every time I read that name?

I guess you never found the cache then.

Isn't it?

No it's not there any more. I'm not sure where it is so I had to take the whole thing! :anibad: FYI to Fizzy... This was one of the stops on the special hunt during the gathering. You really missed out on a great social outing after the pizza was gone.

"Mountain House. Good to the last drop" Boy, that brings back old memories. What was that old ladies name?? Mrs. Beasly? No, that was Jodi Foster's stuffed Bear on Family Affair. ;) Oh, well. Thanks for putting the thought in my head. Now I can't get it out! ;)

Isn't it?

No, it really is gone. Check out TeamTek's posting on October 8th to see what the cache was on. They actually came and took the whole darn thing away! But that's ok, because the cache was no longer on that thing and I've got another one anyway. How 'bout if I do one just for you to find Fizzy? I'll let you know when it's ready, but it will be in Stockton. ;)

Isn't it?

No, it really is gone. Check out TeamTek's posting on October 8th to see what the cache was on. They actually came and took the whole darn thing away! But that's ok, because the cache was no longer on that thing and I've got another one anyway. How 'bout if I do one just for you to find Fizzy? I'll let you know when it's ready, but it will be in Stockton. ;)

Run, Fizzy! RUN!! :anibad:

Ok now I know this subject has been explored but here we go again...... Ok I'm trying to go paperless and my dad purchased a palmpilot and I've been sitting here for 2 hours and I can't seem to get it to work. Ok I've gotten the Plucker program on my computer and the GPX thing too. I did the Pocket Queve on geocaching.com and put the file through the spinner. I got a file put out but now I'm lost on what to do. I've tried setting the directory to that file the spinner spit out, but it won't let me set that file as the directory. Did I forget a step? ......I need some help if anyone can help me can you please email me, post your comments on the forum. Thanks. ;)

Edited by TeamTek

IMHO... you ran the wrong direction. Push the reset button - turn around slowly two times - and then download CacheMate and CMConvert. You'll be up and running in no time. Congrats on shreading the paper. ;)

Once you have those two programs plus the Pocket Query from Geocaching, you'll be two steps away.

(1) Run CMConvert on the PQ. It's so quick you'll think nothing happened.

(2) Drop the resulting file into your PDA Synch folder and Synchronize.

Next time you open CacheMate, it well accept the file(s) which take the most amount of time - but you can be driving to the cache while it's working.

Edited by Green Achers
Ok now I know this subject has been explored but here we go again...... Ok I'm trying to go paperless and my dad purchased a palmpilot and I've been sitting here for 2 hours and I can't seem to get it to work. Ok I've gotten the Plucker program on my computer and the GPX thing too. I did the Pocket Queve on geocaching.com and put the file through the spinner. I got a file put out but now I'm lost on what to do. I've tried setting the directory to that file the spinner spit out, but it won't let me set that file as the directory. Did I forget a step? ......I need some help if anyone can help me can you please email me, post your comments on the forum. Thanks. ;)

First off use cachemate, with GSAK and you will be home free. Its so easy. Forgot how to use plucker, and we dont want to go there!!! :anibad: Get cachemate and then we can talk. ;)