Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Q. Why are the Modesto cachers allowing the Stocktonians to abuse CVC Tag??? Is it too great a challenge to reclaim the control? [Yes, you heard it hit again - <_<:) ] Looks like they've lost interest too. Maybe it will be my turn next. :P

I have already logged it once...I don't want to log it as a find again but may go after it and just write a note. How remote do you want it in Stanilaus County?? :):o;):P

There have been a lot of new caches popping-up lately. Do you think the cool evening weather had anything to do with the sudden busrt?

-----------------

Q. Why are the Modesto cachers allowing the Stocktonians to abuse CVC Tag??? Is it too great a challenge to reclaim the control? [Yes, you heard it hit again - <_<:) ] Looks like they've lost interest too. Maybe it will be my turn next. :P

Hey Bill maybe we need to gang up and get that thing back home!!!!

I have already logged it once...I don't want to log it as a find again but may go after it and just write a note. How remote do you want it in Stanilaus County?? <_<:):P:)

There have been a lot of new caches popping-up lately. Do you think the cool evening weather had anything to do with the sudden busrt?

Tag is available to ''find'' multiple times providing two cachers find it between your finds. (IE, Valerie and DuckFarmer are out of the picture. Kind of like a hocky penalty - Modesto has a power play available.) :o

I don't think it needs to be remote. The important thing is which side of the county line Tag spends more time. ;) [LOL]

Well I'm back sorry I don't get home till 6:30ish because of football practice....That's why I use the internet at school.....Anyways the cache is disabled because I have to check on things. BTW it wasn't made by me it was my dad so when you get mad you know where he works :laughing: , I just made the cache page look beautiful! :)

Edited by ryanctek

DONE!!!......Now for you daring cachers.......I must advise that the third leg got me uneasy while walking to it in the middle of the night, but I guess sometimes the FTF is more valuble then your life......SOme how that don't make sense but if your willing go ahead!!

Happy Caching!

Ryan -

Being senile, I need all the help I can get. I am not sure how you are counting legs.

Are you counting the original placement (where the cache is locked) as number one and the next place you go as number two or are you counting the original placement as zero and the first place you are sent as number 1.

You talk about fixing #3 here, but on the cache page you talk about #2 being gone. Then you say "you must go to the second leg again for they are new coordinates in a new place but in the same area so the coordinates are the same. " :blink:

Maybe I am the only one who is confused B) , but please help out an ole' lady. Just let me know what your numbering system is.

Thanks

How remote do you want it in Stanilaus County?? :blink:B)B):)

I don't think anybody could have placed it any further remote in Stanicoleslaus county than I did. Eh? Bill?? I think I might just go ahead and place a micro out there in the middle of nowhere just to show how big that county really is!!!! Now that would just be plain MEAN!!!

Peace!

Our Modestan spies are always watching.... B)

Hung a U on March Lane to watch Sanruft search for Tag. It was delightful meeting him, his wife and their darling little one. Since he was planning on taking Tag back Modesto way, I gave him no clues. I could SEE Tag while I was talking to him. :blink:

Stockton cachers - WHERE ARE YOU?

At 4:25 it was still in place.

Since he was planning on taking Tag back Modesto way, I gave him no clues. I could SEE Tag while I was talking to him. :blink:

I'm so let down that the SJ CVC group didn't come through... but that disapointment is quickly over come when I see who DNF. Now it will be interesting to see who logs their failure. (I did mine.)

Since he was planning on taking Tag back Modesto way, I gave him no clues.  I could SEE Tag while I was talking to him.  :blink:

I'm so let down that the SJ CVC group didn't come through... but that disapointment is quickly over come when I see who DNF. Now it will be interesting to see who logs their failure. (I did mine.)

No DNF on this one...I had to come back after a brief search for this elusive cache. (I was already 15 minutes late when I met TeamGui)...Got back an hour later and was in the middle of my search when Outrageous Fortunes, 2fortheRoad, Radical and Salsa Girl walked-up...(Did we forget to mention that this was the newest caching event??) B) Anyway, we narrowed down our search and was finally able to find it...Looks like it is headed to our sister county of the south, Merced County as Radical and 2fortheroad came-up with it. We did remember to place the teepee so any further searchers would know that it was gone.

It was soooo much fun meeting all the other cachers today! I really appreciated TeamGui coming-up and introducing herself. (By the way, did I mention that she was evil??) :) LOL! No clues were given as she really wanted it to remain in Stockton. (She even led me to believe I was on the right track when I was SURELY on the wrong one...She must have been laughing with her husband all the way home!!) B) What a GREAT group of cachers!! (Oh, I even met a homeless person that said "Are you looking for the treasure that those other two girls were looking for yesterday??" I'm not sure who those other two cachers were but the statement kind of made me laugh!

Well, maybe Modesto won't have our bragging rights back but it will be fun to see the race to Merced.

Wildlifeguy - Looks like you still have honors on the most remote location for CVC!

What a fun day!

Edited by Sanruft
WoW that is some adventure you had just right here in the city! Hoping to see where it goes next. :rolleyes:

I think that Merced needs some action down there. 2 For the Road and Radical were a little disappointed about the geocaching activity in thier area. They are going to try and stir some interest by placing the CVC tag in neck of the woods. (Who knows, maybe we will see some new, sneaky caches that will rival some of the great ones in the Northen parts of CVC!) :unsure::huh:

I still have some unfinished business in Stockton...I need to get back up there pretty soon.

I don't think anybody could have placed it any further remote in Stanicoleslaus county than I did. Eh? Bill?? I think I might just go ahead and place a micro out there in the middle of nowhere just to show how big that county really is!!!! Now that would just be plain MEAN!!!

Peace!

I've found some micros in remote areas...PURE evil!! :rolleyes::unsure:

how does the first week in october look for an event?!

october 2nd or 3rd? october 23rd or 24th? I open for suggestions. It would just be a p&b getogether. no course jus meeting the new cachers in the area

So no BBQ? That icon always makes me hungry. LOL. Looks like a potentially great time period for a gather. (That said without looking up any potential Gathering conflicts - which will need to be done.)

So... Miss OF got a gang together and completed Watermark cache. I'm very impressed and believe they approved of the adventure.

Looks like I'll have some free time soon to go caching - always an exciting thing to look forward to.

how does the first week in october look for an event?!

october 2nd or 3rd? october 23rd or 24th? I open for suggestions. It would just be a p&b getogether. no course jus meeting the new cachers in the area

We were in the middle of planning one as well, but are open for date discussions. I will not be here the first week of October so we were planning on late September or mid-to-late October.

Welcome Duckfarmer!

And if DuckFarmer is really in a hurry, the Yellow Etrex is available at Target right there in the camping/hiking department. About $100. Like Ted says, it gets you there just as well as the fancier models. The real trick is knowing how to use your GPSr correctly.

I saw the little yellow etrex at BestBuy in the Stockton mall for $70-$80

This is for all the paperless cacher's out there. We are looking in to it and it seems to be the way to go now? So any feed back would be great...what plam u use, ect ect.....

Thanks so much BKS :huh:

I tried paperless a year ago and threw up my hands in frustration. Do NOT try to use MobiPocket. :D

Ron Streeter recommended that I check into GPX Spinner and Plucker. Unfortunately about that same time I stopped caching ---- sometimes life gets in the way. Although I downloaded the programs, I never worked on getting anything up and running.

Fast forward to this week.... ;)

I was bitten by the caching bug again and decided to give paperless another try.

Between Spinner and Plucker and my GPS V and a Palm Vx, paperless really appears to be a reality. I was amazed at the various indicies in Plucker. I can search by ID, cache name, who placed the cache, etc. If I want the hints decrypted, the hint index is easy to use. Caches I have found are in a normal font. If I haven't found the cache, it is boldface. I can read the description, recent logs, and a list of nearby caches. Spinner along with EasyGPS puts the caches on my GPSr by name, not just number. I love that.

I think you have to be a paying member of Geocaching.com in order to download the files in the format you need for all of this. Small price to pay.

I am brand new at this, so others probably have more and better information, but if you want the opinion of someone as new to paperless as you are, you have it! :mad:

This is for all the paperless cacher's out there. We are looking in to it and it seems to be the way to go now? So any feed back would be great...what plam u use, ect ect.....

Thanks so much BKS :D

It depends on which system you use...PocketPC or Palm. I use a PocketPC and have GPXSonar (A free program) and it reads GPX files just fine. (You can do a cache query using the GPX format) I find that it works great and the pages are as if I am looking at the web site. There are many features (too many to mention here) but I really like it. It takes me all of about 20 seconds to upload 500 waypoints.

I also use it with Mapoplis, but that's another story. (Mapopolis is a GPS program that will give me turn-by-turn directions to the next waypoint)

Camel680 has a Palm and enjoys his program. It is not like looking at the web site but seems to be pretty easy to use and has some nice features to it. (A couple I wish I had) :mad: I believe his was free as well, but if not, it couldn't be more than about $10.00.

Been paperless for about a year now. (just after leaving Tracy last October) Back then I used Plucker on an old Palm. About five months ago I switched to a Tungsten E, GSAK and Cachmate, and those three were the best moves I ever made.

With GSAK you open your GPX file and do what ever you want to it and then export the data from GSAK, as a Cachmate PDB file, to the palm program for the next hotsync. After I open the GPX file with GSAK, I filter out archived caches, certain caches I have no plan of ever seeking and even caches from some individual which I do not intent to hunt. In my opinion neither Cachemate nor GSAK charge enough for what their programs ad to Geocaching. The Palm Tungsten E screen is not as good in the Sun as the Garmin 60cs screen, in the sun, but I usually find some shade if I need to pull the palm out and check out the hint or past cachers logs. Have fun, you won't be sorry you did it (unless of course you don't charge it before you go out for a day).

Edited by wornout

Thanks so much BKS :huh:

Hey BKSGRB, I've seen your name alot around here lately in the logs. You were either right before Z & I or right after. :P Looks as if you've been really busy lately too! :mad: Well, Here's what I use & I'm not saying it the best method but it works great for us. First you must be a Premium Member to get PQ's. Then I Use GSAK, Cachemate & a Palm IIIxe. Can't get any easier than that. I tried Plucker & spinner but the GSAK & Cachemate combo is simple, effective & what works the best for me IMHO. ;) GSAK is free, Cachemate is 7 bucks(Very well worth it) & The PalmIIIex you can get on E-bay for like 30-50 bones. One other piece of software you must have to link these both up is Palm Desk Top which is also a free download. It really cuts down on alot of paperwork, inkcarts & $$$! :D I still printout a few things however so I am not Totally paperless but pretty close. These are really, really easy to use. I just got into caching in May & went paperless at the end of June so I'm relatively a n00b, but If I can do this I'm sure anyone can. Here is an excellent link that you may or may not have read & I basically walked right though this very well written acticle. Paperless Caching

The screen shots are exactly what you get in cachemate! Pretty cool Huh? Anyway a typical caching outing always begins with a PQ of the area(s) you intend to cache. Then I send this PQ to GSAK. Once in GSAK, You can do all kinds of filters & such to tweak your PQ's For just what you want to do. Next I Download the waypoints to my GPS & export the same info to Cachemate. Preform a HotSync on your Palm & you are good to go. I know this sounds like a lot, but believe me it's much, much easier than it sounds. Using GSAK to it's fullest is for someone else to tackle as I just began to scratch the surface on that one. Hope this hepls alittle. ;) Now if I can only figure out Auto-Routing & mapping, I think I would be 100% paperless. ;)

Sal & Z of JeepySr

Hey JeepSr you should hide more caches to see how your mind works. It's kind of an unwritten rule but the Central Valley Cachers like to hide 10-15% of finds. Like in my case I've found 437 so that would mean I would have to hide around 44 caches, and I just can't keep up with the bare minimum myself even with the amount of caches that I hide! Anyways hope you get this post soon so I can see your best cache you can hide! :D

Of where are you?!!

OF is here. Just recovering from a wild weekend. We had lots of company from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. Some birthday stuff, some caching stuff; LOTS of fun. We found Indiana Jones, Watermark, Chambers of Ripon, and Pheromone. The others are rated higher, but we had the most trouble with Pheromone! We also were there when CVC Tag was found. Team GUI should be ashamed of themselves. Evil, evil.

I would love to help with the Event Cache. I could help plant caches, or just organize details. Let me know what you need via email.

One talk I would like to have at the event is about how to mark a waypoint and how to use the GPSr correctly. I still have trouble with coords I've taken. Like one of my caches I recently checked on was nowhere near where it was supposed to be. It hadn't MOVED, so what went wrong? Do these satellites go wonky sometimes, or am I just a lame-O? I think we could all use help in this area.

Thanks Ryan for the website. I'm going to check it out tonight.

-Laura Outrageous

Of where are you?!!

OF is here. Just recovering from a wild weekend. We had lots of company from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. Some birthday stuff, some caching stuff; LOTS of fun. We found Indiana Jones, Watermark, Chambers of Ripon, and Pheromone. The others are rated higher, but we had the most trouble with Pheromone! We also were there when CVC Tag was found. Team GUI should be ashamed of themselves. Evil, evil.

I would love to help with the Event Cache. I could help plant caches, or just organize details. Let me know what you need via email.

One talk I would like to have at the event is about how to mark a waypoint and how to use the GPSr correctly. I still have trouble with coords I've taken. Like one of my caches I recently checked on was nowhere near where it was supposed to be. It hadn't MOVED, so what went wrong? Do these satellites go wonky sometimes, or am I just a lame-O? I think we could all use help in this area.

Thanks Ryan for the website. I'm going to check it out tonight.

-Laura Outrageous

Maybe you could E-mail me your problem and GPS (like what kind of GPS such as Garmin) and maybe I could help you.

I use GSAK and Plucker or Spinner and Plucker.

Haven't tried Cachemate, but it looks interesting.

I started with a cheap refurbished Palm and it still works great.

I've moved up to a faster Sony PDA.

This is a must read: GU: How to geocache without paper

Hey JeepSr you should hide more caches to see how your mind works. It's kind of an unwritten rule but the Central Valley Cachers like to hide 10-15% of finds. Like in my case I've found 437 so that would mean I would have to hide around 44 caches, and I just can't keep up with the bare minimum myself even with the amount of caches that I hide! Anyways hope you get this post soon so I can see your best cache you can hide! ;)

Hi Ryan,

We've been really busy lately. Z has had the Caching Bug really bad!! :D We just completed 30 consecutive days of caching. Our longest streak so far! Anyway school has begun for Z so our streak of consecutive days of caching is over. :mad: Now the real fun begins. ;) We've been studying all the caches we've found so far and looking for really good places for hides. We have come up with a few good ideas for caches & have a few in the works as we speak. We'll be away this week(still caching :huh: ) but when we return, be on the lookout for a few caches from us soon. We really were hesitant on putting out caches until we got a few caches behind us & had the opportunity to see just what exactly was out there. Now we are finding out our preferences. Z has a taste for the Urban/puzzle/micro challenges.<---especially likes multi's toos. Where as myself, I like more of a physical challenge say on the order of 3-4-5's. I like hiking, so I have my eye on lots of places to visit & cache also. One thing we both agree on is we both dislike "bush" caches, so you won't see anything like that from us. Not to offend anyone, we just have allergies really bad so no beatin' 'round the bush for us! ;)

Anyway, be on the look out for ours soon. We are also looking forward to the Get together. Let me know if we can help in anyway, would be our pleasure!

Take care,

Cache on!

Sal & Z of JeepySr

Hey JeepSr you should hide more caches to see how your mind works. It's kind of an unwritten rule but the Central Valley Cachers like to hide 10-15% of finds. Like in my case I've found 437 so that would mean I would have to hide around 44 caches, and I just can't keep up with the bare minimum myself even with the amount of caches that I hide! Anyways hope you get this post soon so I can see your best cache you can hide! ;)

Hi Ryan,

We've been really busy lately. Z has had the Caching Bug really bad!! :D We just completed 30 consecutive days of caching. Our longest streak so far! Anyway school has begun for Z so our streak of consecutive days of caching is over. :mad: Now the real fun begins. ;) We've been studying all the caches we've found so far and looking for really good places for hides. We have come up with a few good ideas for caches & have a few in the works as we speak. We'll be away this week(still caching :huh: ) but when we return, be on the lookout for a few caches from us soon. We really were hesitant on putting out caches until we got a few caches behind us & had the opportunity to see just what exactly was out there. Now we are finding out our preferences. Z has a taste for the Urban/puzzle/micro challenges.<---especially likes multi's toos. Where as myself, I like more of a physical challenge say on the order of 3-4-5's. I like hiking, so I have my eye on lots of places to visit & cache also. One thing we both agree on is we both dislike "bush" caches, so you won't see anything like that from us. Not to offend anyone, we just have allergies really bad so no beatin' 'round the bush for us! ;)

Anyway, be on the look out for ours soon. We are also looking forward to the Get together. Let me know if we can help in anyway, would be our pleasure!

Take care,

Cache on!

Sal & Z of JeepySr

Hey Laura and Sanruft....I can't email from school so i'll just have to post.

I was thinking we could set up 2 courses. One by Ryan and/or I and 1 by you or someone else(hint..hint all u other stocktonians) so we could all participate?! I will call Straw Hat today and get the time slot reserved. I was thinking about where the corses should be and I was thinking maybe around brookside or near March lane somewhere... Maybe incorporate having to go to our houses and pick something up?! I don't know. E mail me back later tonight...And everyone else Ryan is putting the page up tonight so we can give every1 a month!! Sanruft my email is pnb524@comcast.net so you can email me with whatever you want to do or if you have any ideas on stuff...maybe a small presentation or something?

BTW I hope Bill can be there so he can have an excuse to figure out how to get the rest of Ryan's caches(and mine)

It should be fun o lets getiton

Peter

Thanks so much BKS :lol:

It depends on which system you use...PocketPC or Palm. I use a PocketPC and have GPXSonar (A free program) and it reads GPX files just fine. (You can do a cache query using the GPX format) I find that it works great and the pages are as if I am looking at the web site. There are many features (too many to mention here) but I really like it. It takes me all of about 20 seconds to upload 500 waypoints.

I also use it with Mapoplis, but that's another story. (Mapopolis is a GPS program that will give me turn-by-turn directions to the next waypoint)

Camel680 has a Palm and enjoys his program. It is not like looking at the web site but seems to be pretty easy to use and has some nice features to it. (A couple I wish I had) :) I believe his was free as well, but if not, it couldn't be more than about $10.00.

My program is Cachemate and it cost me $7.00. As Sanruft said it has some features that I like better than his but I would really love to be able to see it as it looks on the web page. It is a great and easy to use program however and it seperates caches you have found into a different folder and you can also create other folders for "sStockton caches" or Modesto Caches" or "Colorado Caches" etc......

October 2nd great for Ryan and I. I'll call Straw Hat and get a spot reserved for 12:00 to 3:00. we''l set up a course or something. Anyone want to help. Of hwere are you?!!

Looks like we will have a couple of events as thouse dates don't work for us. So look for ours sometime in September. My email is sanruft@sbcglobal.net should you want to help or discuss. (Sorry that the dates conflict!)

Edited by Sanruft

I use a Palm M515 I picked up on ebay for $125 and love useing cachemate on it. Like Camel says being able to divide the caches into categories but still able to search them all (if your on a border between your arbitrary boundries) is a great plus. I find I get lost going from one cache to the next. Which brings me to MY question..

Anybody know of a good mapping program for use on a palm? Something I can download cache/waypoints to?

Peace!