Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

OK THAT'S IT!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ALL TALKED ME INTO IT!!!! I MUST DO THIS MAGNETIC TOUR THINGY NOW!!!! :huh::o;):P

I go away for the weekend and suddenly the whole forum is just alive with conversation. On the flip side I had a great time in Santa Cruz and at Marine World this weekend.

Sorry I couldn't help you out Bill.

But I would have rather been where I was. :o

Now to catch up with all the work I missed on Friday and Monday! :o:lol:

Edited by Camel680

For the record, that ''help'' reference was regarding the cache I DNF after close to two hours of hunting. As luck would have it, I later ran into the RP and relayed my observations which confirmed I was at least really close. I didn't get any hints out of them but at least felt better that I wasn't too messed up.

Night caching the Magnetic Tour? I did the first two steps in the dark with a flashlight (when needed). I'd guess the next two steps can all be done at night as well. :lol:

Ah, Sanruft! You lost your ''Newbee'' status a few hundred finds ago. I'm not sure about your puzzle skills but with 400 finds under your belt, you're not new. :huh:

Hey! Congradulations to both Tim and Kenny for beating me to the 400 mark. And it took you both less than a year! Wow. It took me a few years. I'm impressed. :o

Edited by Green Achers

More difficult than Locked In A Cubical or more challenging than Watermark? Which do you prefer?? Oh, you haven't completed those. :o But honestly, Stockton's got some really nice caches. You don't need my help. :lol: Do you? :huh:

Late correction: My error - Ryan indeed complete Locked In A Cubical. Sorry Ryan.

Edited by Green Achers
Looking to buy a GPSMAP76CS what can any one tell me? Are they worth the $450.00 any feed back is great! Have a etrex vista now looking to update

I own a GSPMAP 76S (not the CS) and I really like it. The 76CS seems to solve the few minor issues I have with the 76S: difficulty reading in sunlight, more memory, USB connection, battery life, and processing speed. Personally, I think the compass is useless and it really drains batteries, so I keep that function always turned off. The 76 series is a bit bulky which can be a bit annoying, obviously not solved by the 76CS. If I were buying again today I'd still be looking seriously at the 76CS, bt I'd also look at the 60CS. While it has less memory (56MB) than the 76CS (115MB), it's still more than my 76S (32MB) which is ALMOST sufficient as is, plus I'm curious what "a dedicated geocaching mode" means. It looks cooler, too! I also am sometimes somewhat annoyed by the fact that the buttons on the 76 series are all ABOVE the screen, not an issue with the 60 series.

The 76S is my third GPS. I started with the yellow Etrex, moved to the eTrex Vista, and then the 76. The 76 is more tolerant of being dropped, and I had HUGE quality issues with the Vista (I actually went through THREE of them that were faulty), so I guess you could consider that the 76S was my fifth Garmin! The yellow eTrex I purchased at Amazon, the rest at gpsdiscount.com.

As of today, at gpsdiscount.com the 60CS is $396, the 76CS is 440.

Hope this helps...

Here I am with my Garmin 12xl that I bought in 1996 and still think it was worth the money!!!!! My dad just got an etrex legend and it seems like a nice machine.

I drive an old beat up truck, my gps is an ancient brick, all the furniture in my house are hand me downs. Anybody want to hand me down their old worn out, beat up gps. Oh, and the palm I use for geocaching is a factory refurbished unit bought off of ebay. No complaints here!!!!

I guess my point is......do I have a point?!?!?!?!

Peace!

I drive an old beat up truck, my gps is an ancient brick, all the furniture in my house are hand me downs. Anybody want to hand me down their old worn out, beat up gps. Oh, and the palm I use for geocaching is a factory refurbished unit bought off of ebay. No complaints here!!!!

lol! I may have some more "hand-me-downs" with regards to furniture...I hate hauling stuff out of my house!! :P

lol! I may have some more "hand-me-downs" with regards to furniture...I hate hauling stuff out of my house!! :D

Post those coordinates and tell us which are the trade items and which are the FTF prizes. :D We'll help you out. :D

Personally, My Sports Trek Pro does the job... but if it were to die I'd be delighted with that 60CS. Speaking of dead, I just found out the Palm M515 (PDA) doesn't float. Now I'm doing all my CacheMate work off a Treo 270. It works but often jumps to some other function (like the phone) when a wrong button is bumped. Time to pull out my back up PDA before this next weekend. Paperless caching rocks. :P

A quick cross-post here - and actually, considering the location of both Bill, AND Delta Butter - I probably should have posted it here originally.

Congrats to Bill of Green Achers for FTF!

Also, would like to extend the invite to any of the CVC gang that would like to come along for a boat ride and a couple (few?) finds on Sunday, 8/22. See link above for details, or just drop me a line if you'd like to join in.

Have a great evening - and again, MANY congrats to Bill for his perseverance!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

So where's Ron these days!!!!

????????????????

Anyone?

Peace!

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

I ran into the Master a few weeks ago at a local cache site. He even took the time to join in on locacting a cache with us. I asked him what he has been up to because I haven't seen him much around the caching community lately & he says he's really busy these days with a new occupation. Busy,Busy,Busy! Well, I don't know if he's gonna come back or not but a few friendly nudges sure can't hurt!

Just finished my first code cache. It isn't approved as of now. I didn't get to do it at all the way I wanted to but it is out there. I already have an idea for my next. we'll see how that one comes along.

:P

Can you drop a jeep into it so a couple of us can have an unfair advantage. :P Just kidding but I do hope it gets posted soon - like anytime tonight would be fine.

Maybe we need a new cache in Stockton with the goal of drawing Ron out of Geo-hibernation. I do miss his clever idea's and wonderful hikes. Lucky for me he still has plenty still active that I have yet to hunt.

Looks like some cachers are getting closer to completing the Magnetic Tour of Stockton. It's funny to see how cachers resolve really bad reception area such as the area Ryan so cleverly located. I think he's reaching the GeoMaster level but I'll need to teach him a few more lessons before I concede that upon him. [Not that I'll ever reach that aptitude myself]. :P

Looks like some cachers are getting closer to completing the Magnetic Tour of Stockton. It's funny to see how cachers resolve really bad reception area such as the area Ryan so cleverly located. I think he's reaching the GeoMaster level but I'll need to teach him a few more lessons before I concede that upon him. [Not that I'll ever reach that aptitude myself]. :P

Haha yea I need to put out some challenging puzzle caches to reach that level. BTW a heads up that I am comming out with another interesting cache. SO cachers beware! :P

BTW a heads up that I am comming out with another interesting cache. SO cachers beware! :P

So I need to draw a line here. I'll likely do your new cache Ryan but you Stocktonites are stashing these caches faster than I can get out there to hunt them. I like a good challenge but the light at the end of this tunnel is a train! :P

Did you say a ''challenging puzzle?'' How challenging? :P:P:P

Nah it's not a puzzle cache :P ,but it's another cool cache because the webpage is going to look cool and it's also going to be a cool lokking container. The cache is going to be a half muti and traditional. But I guess it can be a puzzle if your good enough to figure it out....... :P BTW............ we are Stocktonians :P LoL

Good to see a new generation of cachers in the Stockton area.

In the past, the RCGDS group would often blitz the CVC area. We haven't done that as a group in a long time.

I've been watching the Stockton area, lots of new opportunities. I'm sure there will be a blitz in the near future.

I hope the new caches are as good as the old CVC cache masters used to make.

You had some good ones down there.

BTW... you Stocktonites are welcome to go north of Lodi.

I might be wrong, but the only southerner I've noticed up here lately is JeepySr.

Join us at one of our monthly functions. We had a great one today.

Happy caching!

Alan GeoSharks

Hey Alan!

I've only attended one RCGDS Gathering but based on that, I'm willing to say they are a great group of cachers. I'm not sure I'll be caching up there too soon but understand they've been stashing a lot of them. Maybe I'll be able to stop by on our way back from the Reno Air Races. If not, there's another chance during the up coming Reno On-Road Rally.

Today, I made it part way up to Sac-of-tomatoes. I found the first 6 of 6 and then got stuck at the 7th hunt. Turns out bad coordinates where to blame. I had to get encouragement after working the posted coords from all angles. Funny thing is that I knew I was going to be in trouble there as I pulled up and had a major flashback of the time old CVC Tag!!! cache was stashed there (by the same cacher if I recall).

Yes, ''Stocktonites!'' You heard that. ;) It's better than being refered to as ''one of the last Mantecans.'' Right Brute Force?!? :blink:

... BTW. just throwing out an idea but what do you think of an event in Stockton?

Lodi? Isn't that the edge of the earth? Sorry that I can't hunt more than I do. My play time's been rather plentiful the last couple weekends. However, it's normally much more limited so I hunt where I'm at. Yes, that means the ''Lodi Barrier'' never gets violated. ;) So sorry about that as it's more than my loss.

Do I smell a Bar-B-Que starting up in Stockton? If you need an extra burner, I can give you the coordinates. ;)

Hey CacheCow! What do ya say we get that icon in the 'que?! :blink:

YEAH!! Finally completed the Magnetic Tour! Thanks again Ryan for a fun and challenging cache!

I've done a couple of Lodi caches in the past but need to spend some more time up North. Looks like there are some interesting caches up that way.

On another note, I think we are going to bike the downtown Sacramento area one afternoon. There are a lot of caches in the area and bicycling seems to be the best mode to get around there. (Parking problems and traffic are issues there).

Just not enough time to go caching as much as I would like. Maybe it's time to re-arrange my priorities! :blink:;);)

Edited by Sanruft
We were just up there last Sunday.... We are trying to keep it even throughout the CV. BTW. just throwing out an idea but what do you think of an event in Stockton?

There you go.. I was wrong. More of you go north than I thought.

I notice Sanruft posted a log on one of my virtuals last night.

As for the event... go for it. People will come. Watch for date conflicts with other local events. I'm a morning person, so I enjoyed the June Latte event in Manteca.

Just got back from a marathon in the Modesto area. I had a great time looking in bushes and Ivy because that seems like the only place where they were hidden. Me personally I don't agree with caches hidden in bushes or Ivy only because there is a pointless challenge looking through thorny bushes finding trash and what not, and also Ivy because it will hide anything and there is usually so much of it that there is no point in looking 20 minutes looking through the stuff. :blink: One instance there was so much Ivy that we just decided to kick around in it untill we "kicked the can." Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful caches there but I didn't agree with most of the caches, and also I've hidden some in the bushes that I also don't agree with once I look back on it. Hope I don't offend anyone with this log.

...and also I've hidden some in the bushes that I also don't agree with once I look back on it...

Self analysis is a wise task... self improvement improvement is a life long project. :blink::blink: I must admit, you had me wondering before that confession. Keep setting a good example for us to follow. [Or follow my example of using Round Up for those ivy searches in life.]

I had a day of rest today, only getting beat up :huh: by reading a find log after my only DNF in since Ryan's challenge. Tomorrow may be a good day to redeem myself.

Hey Stocktonians! What's going on with your patrism? Why have only two of us completed the 4th of July Series Caches? Humm??? :(