Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching

Guest Ron Streeter

Guest Ron Streeter

eurekaredcanvas.bmp

Hi there fellow cachers....

The Sacramento group has had a good on-going thread related to their area, and now that a half-dozen or so Modesto cachers are geting active in geocaching, it might be time to open up a thread to stay in touch other than through the find logs.

There are 6 or so cachers living in the Stockton/Lodi area and a similar number in the Modesto area...should make for some good conversation.

Sac cachers, east and south of Modesto cachers, (or any other area residents) feel free to join in too.

Hoping to get something started...

Ron (52 hidden/138 found)

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 19 February 2002).]

Guest tomaski

hi there ron,

i've never had a reason to post on any other

topic, but alot of my friends and i have have been trying to get some caches around

the modesto area and surrounding area's, so i guess this is for us. thanks ron, i'll

pass the word.

tomaski

Guest Downhiller-EMT

Just wanted to drop a note to everyone. I hope we get more caches from around the area. I think I have recruited a couple more and they will be out there soon. Thanks for turning me on to this Tomaski. Its a lot of fun. Happy cache hunting everyone.

Downhiller-EMT

Guest george70

Hello all.... I posted this under the general discussion topic but I think it's a good way to start a conversation here.

I was riding my bike up to Diablo Grande the other day. Just clearing my thoughts and trying to shrink my gut and I came up with this idea for a multi-cache. It's kind of a big idea and it would best be done with one or more cachers.

Here it is. I want to do a multi-cache that is a "choose-your-own-adventeure" Kind of like the kids books where you make choices during the cache and depending on what you choose you end up different places. This is not something I could pull off in a weekend or even pull off by myself without quiting my job.

Would anyone be interested in working something like this out with me?

Where do you think would be a good place to set something like this up. Right now I'm partial to the Hwy 49 corridor with a gold rush theme and maybe a tie in to Juaquine Murrieta or someting like that.

What do you think?

George

Guest george70

I was reading Ron's note on sticky cache about coming back with a lawn mower. I've pretty much decided I'm going to take a gallon of round-up to "Tuolumne Big Tree", then I'll come back in a couple of weeks and look for it then.

[This message has been edited by george70 (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest HiFlier

I'm a bit out of your area, but closer than Sacramento, so I'll drop by here to see what's up.

I'd be interested in helping with the Adventure Cache with George if you come up with an idea.

-Ed

Guest Ron Streeter

Well George, it looks like you might have a match for your gold cache adventure! I can't catch up with all my own plans for caches, otherwise I would jump in too.

I mentioned in one of my non-find notes that I wondered if "we" are trying to hard to prevent cachers from finding caches. I also noted that I guessed that's why we have ratings....hard rating...hard find.

Any thoughts on this from area cachers? I know I have placed a couple that have been hard for people to find, and whenever I experience "excessive" difficulty finding a cache, I feel badly about the hard ones I placed.

When I experience frustration in a hunt, I sometimes give up in "disgust", but of late, I just give up and decide to return another time. I know the "joy" of a hard find finally found is great, but I have just been wondering about it lately.

Ron

Guest george71

quote:
Originally posted by HiFlier:

I'm a bit out of your area, but closer than Sacramento, so I'll drop by here to see what's up.

I'd be interested in helping with the Adventure Cache with George if you come up with an idea.

-Ed

I'm a teacher and spring break is the first week in april. I'll have a week to sit down and do some research for the project. Right now I'll looking for info on Juaquin Murrieta in order to wrap the story around him.

Guest george70

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I mentioned in one of my non-find notes that I wondered if "we" are trying to hard to prevent cachers from finding caches. I also noted that I guessed that's why we have ratings....hard rating...hard find.

Any thoughts on this from area cachers? I know I have placed a couple that have been hard for people to find, and whenever I experience "excessive" difficulty finding a cache, I feel badly about the hard ones I placed.

When I experience frustration in a hunt, I sometimes give up in "disgust", but of late, I just give up and decide to return another time. I know the "joy" of a hard find finally found is great, but I have just been wondering about it lately.

Ron

I got stumped on downhillers "what lies beneith" also, I gave jeff a hard time about takeing the reading 10ft away from the cache. I don't mind a hard cache if I can narrow the area I have to search down to maybe a 20 ft radius. So when he took the reading 10ft away AND made it really hard to find the frustration level increased to the point it wasn't really fun for me.

My wife, otoh, is itching to go back. She can't stand that she didn't find it. If you read the FTF you can see the 14 people search over the course of about an hour and still didn't find it.

Out of the ones you've placed, the hardest has been Dragonfly, but I kind of knew what to look for by the area it was in. Even though it was hard, it wasn't frustratingly hard.

As long as you give me GOOD coordinates I don't need much of a hint. But if the coordinates area off, or if it's hard to get a good signal, then I expect a better hint. Don't tell me where it is, but a good hint is as fun to figure out as a good hiding place. I need on or the other or I get bored and I'll go to the next cache.

George

Guest george70

To follow up on the previous post. Take the Letter 22 cache. The tree cover makes the coordinates almost useless. It gets you to the area. But it has a really good clue. So good that I didn't realize it was a clue until after I left. So even though it is a bit close to Balls, I think it's a really good cache.

George

PS. I'm not trying to dog you jeff. I'm just figuring out how to make some of these hard caches more fun for the easily frustrated.

Guest tomaski

i also have had a hard time on what lies beneath. a hard time to the tune of about two hours and no findy. i will go back and you shall call me victorious. ok enough of my mouth george try "totally tubular" and

"secret forest #2" those were hard, it took me twice with both of them.

kevin

aka "ivan tomaski"

Guest HiFlier

"I gave jeff a hard time about taking the reading 10ft away from the cache. I don't mind a hard cache if I can narrow the area I have to search down to maybe a 20 ft radius."

Ron Streeter & I have discussed the problem of different readings from different GPS recievers. Even if the "planter" uses the best coords from an expensive reciever, the finders may not get the exact same reading from less expensive, or even different manufacturer, recievers. In my opinion, the coords are meant to get you in the genreal area, then the clues can be used to do the final location. If the coords could take you right to the exact spot, everything would be rated a 1 for difficulty. I like to go for the more difficult caches for just this reason..they usually require a bit of detective work in addition to following the pointer.

-Ed

P.S.: Ron, I'm still going back to get SF#2 after 2 misses.

Guest Ron Streeter

esto).

I have just posted a new note to Dragonfly. Half the folks who looked for it couldn't find it. The gps will get you to 5 feet of this one I think, but the "treatment" is so good it makes it difficult to find.

You should try for this one Ed.

Another thing that surprises me is that despite the fact that 3 or 4 people haven't found it, there is only one person watching it. When I can't find something, I make a special point of watching it to see what further developements are taking place.

Jeremy Irish (geocaching founder) is probably right to NOT reveal who the "watchers" are.

Happy caching guys..bet a lot of it goes on during this sunny weekend.

Ron

Guest george70

quote:
Originally posted by HiFlier:

"I gave jeff a hard time about taking the reading 10ft away from the cache. I don't mind a hard cache if I can narrow the area I have to search down to maybe a 20 ft radius."

Ron Streeter & I have discussed the problem of different readings from different GPS recievers. Even if the "planter" uses the best coords from an expensive reciever, the finders may not get the exact same reading from less expensive, or even different manufacturer, recievers. In my opinion, the coords are meant to get you in the genreal area, then the clues can be used to do the final location. If the coords could take you right to the exact spot, everything would be rated a 1 for difficulty. I like to go for the more difficult caches for just this reason..they usually require a bit of detective work in addition to following the pointer.

-Ed

P.S.: Ron, I'm still going back to get SF#2 after 2 misses.

No really, I talked to downhiller. He stood 10ft away from where he hid the cache and took his coordinates from there. My wife actually found the cache today.

My first couple caches were within 10 ft of where my gps told me so I got kind of spoiled, and so for a while after that I would look really hard really close to the coordinates. I later learned to just get in the general area and then scan and wide area really quickly and I've improved my search times quite a bit.

I kind of worry about caches that a really covered/burried with leaves and such. I'm not really that eager to tear up an area to find these kind of caches. I'm not a tree hugger but I've seen a couple of caches where the area is trampled quite a bit. If I don't find those quickly I tend to back off to let the area recover. I think we've all seen those caches that have a path worn right to them.

george

Guest tomaski

quote:
Originally posted by george70:

I need a local point of view on this cache..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12539

It's very close to where the body of one of the young girls killed by Cary Stainer

What do you think?

george

while the fact that the girl was killed there

is definitly tragic, i think it would be a sad memorial to her to avoid a beautiful place like that because of it. maybe instead have a good thought or say a prayer for the family, whichever is your preference.

ivan tomaski

aka kevin kee

Guest GeoMacbeth

Greetings. I joined the sport about a month ago, but have only been actively looking for caches for a few days. I am mostly confined to the Modesto area, but I do get out to the Sierras every now and then. In the meantime, there seem to be plenty of caches within a few miles of here.

Guest LuvOzzy

i had to say. Hmmmm...great minds think alike??!!

Anyway, I don't think this cache needs to be moved/removed. I think that it is a beautiful area that was made ugly in thought by a viscious person.

Guest LuvOzzy

Hello everyone!

I have already posted on here but thought I would now take the time to introduce myself.

My name is Jaimee, and my hubby and I live in Ceres. My brother, N. Wand, got us involved in caching just a few weeks ago. I have since found 21 caches, and I do believe I am hooked. We have already hidden 2, and we even made a trip up to Sacramento this past weekend to do some hunting.

I look forward to getting to know you all. Those whom we have met are really neat people!

See ya around!

Jaimee

LuvOzzy

Guest george71

We Need to Plan a GEOEVENT!!!

How many cachers do we have in the area now? We need to get to gether for a BBQ when the weather gets a little warmer. March is completly booked for me but April is good.

Anyone interested?

george

Guest Ron Streeter

A geoevent sounds good to me. There certainly are enough local cachers to make a gathering worthwhile.

I've been to three of these, so I have some ideas on the caching end of things (activities) and I've never been good at the food-planning end.

Ron

Guest george70

quote:

A geoevent sounds good to me. There certainly are enough local cachers to make a gathering worthwhile.

I've been to three of these, so I have some ideas on the caching end of things (activities) and I've never been good at the food-planning end.

Ron

I was reading the about the monterey gathering that's coming up and they have games and prizes going on. sounds good to me. We need some input from the others.

as a side note...

ron, did you get the email about your virtual "bandaritta" in coulterville?

george

Guest Ron Streeter

Hi George...

Yes, I did get your email today and I replied to it, as I did to the first one you sent regarding Banderita.

If you don't get the email, please consider this your verification and go ahead an post your find.

How about sending me an email direct at rjsmovie@aol.com and I will try to reply to it as well. Maybe it's the geocaching email link that has created a problem.

Ron

Guest tomaski

quote:
Originally posted by george71:

We Need to Plan a GEOEVENT!!!

How many cachers do we have in the area now? We need to get to gether for a BBQ when the weather gets a little warmer. March is completly booked for me but April is good.

Anyone interested?

george

i'm in just tell me where to sign

tomaski

Guest george70

quote:

Hi George...

Yes, I did get your email today and I replied to it, as I did to the first one you sent regarding Banderita.

If you don't get the email, please consider this your verification and go ahead an post your find.

How about sending me an email direct at rjsmovie@aol.com and I will try to reply to it as well. Maybe it's the geocaching email link that has created a problem.

Ron

I still haven't got it so I'll take this one as confirmation.

FTF!!!!

georgeandmary

Guest Ron Streeter

Hey George..

It was my fault that the emails didn't get to you. Tonight when I got home, there were two "returned" messages for me from geocaching.com. I had failed to go to the web site and send the emails to your from there.

Anyway, you got your FTF. In one of my emails I related that a local area person had emailed me the name of the train, but he hadn't done the hunt for the other two parts as he wasn't actually in the area at the time. He was mining somewhere nearby...guess those modern miners have more than a gold pan going for them (computer, internet, gps, etc).

Ron

Guest GeoMacbeth

Tell me the date for the BBQ and I'll try to keep my schedule open. I would like to meet with the rest of the cachers in the area.

------------------

Hey! What happened to my sattelites?!?

Guest george70

quote:
Originally posted by GeoMacbeth:

BTW, do any of you go to MJC?

No, but I'm going to CSU Stan once a week to finish my credential work.

Who would like to help me set up a GEOEVENT. We need a good place to hold it. A place where you can reserve a group area and that alos has potential to hold some cache events. Suggestions.......

Shooting for some time in April.

george

Guest Ron Streeter

GeoMacbeth...

I'm not up on my Shakespeare, but wasn't Macbeth a tragedy ! Hope your geocaching career will be a success !

I taught broadcasting at UOP from 1974 to '78 and was the production manager for KUOP-FM an NPR station. I also did features for NPR on a submission basis.

Since 1978 I have mostly taught at business colleges (computer apps) and for the last year or so, adult ed (computer apps) for Lodi Unified. The PhD eluded me (really I eluded it) so the stay at UOP was a short but enjoyable time.

Ron

Guest Ron Streeter

All cachers...

Check out what I think is a new feature on the web site.

Go to your "my cache page" and in the upper right corner you'll see something like "see your profile as other's see it".

This shows how many you have found and placed. The underlined links take you to a list of your finds or placements.

Also, when you are looking at the posted find for someone, you can click on their underlined name and it will take you to their profile.

You can modify your profile to include a number of things like your hobbies, etc, so that more than just the finds and placements come up. For an example, just click on my name in any of the caches I have found...Skunks Toybox as an example.

Not too many people in our area have discovered this yet....your chance to be a groundbreaker !

Here's Jeremy's example:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=3

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest george70

quote:

All cachers...

Not too many people in our area have discovered this yet....your chance to be a groundbreaker !

Here's Jeremy's example:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=3

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 27 February 2002).]

I saw this earlier today. My account is actually in my wife and my name so when I update the profile It's going to be a double.

george

btw...

check out this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15791

Guest GeoMacbeth

Do any of you do any geocaching during the week, or do you just wait for the weekends?

I can sometimes get away with caching on Tuesday evenings, but my schedule usually keeps me busy for the rest of the week. Too bad today wasn't a Tuesday. What a waste of good weather!

------------------

Guest GeoMacbeth

quote:

GeoMacbeth...

I'm not up on my Shakespeare, but wasn't Macbeth a tragedy ! Hope your geocaching career will be a success !

Yeah, it was a tragedy, but I derived my geoname from an alias I've carried since high school, which was simply Macbeth.

------------------

Guest george70

quote:
Originally posted by GeoMacbeth:

Do any of you do any geocaching during the week, or do you just wait for the weekends?

I can sometimes get away with caching on Tuesday evenings, but my schedule usually keeps me busy for the rest of the week. Too bad today wasn't a Tuesday. What a waste of good weather!

I'll hit caches during the week if they're not to far away. If I get home and spot a new cache that is not that far of a drive I'll jump in the car and try to get a FTF. I actually did this on monday. N.Wad beat me to it though.

george

Guest Ron Streeter

Hey fellow cachers...

A beautiful day today (Sunday the 3rd) so had myself a little George and Mary Marathon and threw in a Downhiller for good measure !

Now to make it back to the Modesto area for some unfinished business (RE-DOs) and some new ones.

Ron

Guest george70

ote:

Hey fellow cachers...

A beautiful day today (Sunday the 3rd) so had myself a little George and Mary Marathon and threw in a Downhiller for good measure !

Now to make it back to the Modesto area for some unfinished business (RE-DOs) and some new ones.

Ron

I was going through your cache logs and was about to thank you for visiting my local stomping grounds, but you'd already posted. A friend is visiting from Utah and I thought I'd take him caching one day this week. I'm looking at the Round Valley area for a 6-7 cache day.

george

Guest Ron Streeter

Hi George...

Yes, I really enjoyed the beautiful day south of Stockton, and thanks for the info you emailed me too.

Re Round Valley. I don't recall off-hand if you have been there, but I don't think you have.

It is possible to do all the caches in one day, but it will be a killer. Good to do it before hot weather comes. Tomaski and pals did them and were pretty tired afterwards.

There is substantial altitude change involved from valley level to upper caches. There is a little planning that can be done, but in some places you will just have to tough out going up and then down and then back up another side.

You'll enjoy the park though and the caches were early example of cache placement, so nothing terribly hard (except the terrain).

I just posted a new cache and it's already approved. Get out your math book !

Ron

Guest george70

quote:

I just posted a new cache and it's already approved. Get out your math book !

Ron

Yeah, I saw it. I have some ideas but I'm going to have to go out there to scout the place out.... another drive to stockton.. I might check it out on the way back from Round Valley on Wednesday. I'm calling in sick.

george

Guest Ron Streeter

OK Dr. Freud...you think I'm certifiable...that I'm an out-of-control geocacher. Just let me tell you my side of the story before you send for the men in the white coats with the big nets.

I didn't go caching Monday even though I didn't have to go to work until 5 p.m. I just couldn't get my act together !

It's going to rain Wednesday and Thursday and I have a dentist appt. Friday. That means I HAD to go geocaching today...Tuesday, even though I had to teach a class at 2:30.

So, Dr. Freud, I got up at 6 left the house by 7 and was at the 21st Symphony cache by 8 a.m. Then on to the new cache up the river...Last Rapids.

I COULDN'T stop there...not with more caches down the hiway. On I went to T4 and then on to Single Fish-hook something or other !

OK, Ok so I got back to the car at 1:15 and made a mad-dash for my Lodi class at 2:30. That doesn't make me crazy does it?

It does? OK, but can you lock me up on a large estate with a lot of trees, boulders, poison oak and ticks?

Thanks Doc...

The distance you have to travel vs the distance the gps says the cache is are in NO way realated in the delta region. How many big s curves do you think I had to ride my bike through to travel 1 mile toward a cache. icon_frown.gif

Ron, you are an evil evil person to put me thourgh that. icon_biggrin.gif And on top of that, I was introducing a friend from Salt Lake City to the sport. He thought is was funny when I ended up on the wrong side of rivers from caches or when we had to ride 2.5 miles to get to a cache that was a mile away. By the end of the day he was pretty much hooked and now is figuring out how to scrounge up some money to buy his own gps.

I have lost all sympathy for Ron and the caches that stumped him in Modesto.

have a good one

george

The distance you have to travel vs the distance the gps says the cache is are in NO way realated in the delta region. How many big s curves do you think I had to ride my bike through to travel 1 mile toward a cache. icon_frown.gif

Ron, you are an evil evil person to put me thourgh that. icon_biggrin.gif And on top of that, I was introducing a friend from Salt Lake City to the sport. He thought is was funny when I ended up on the wrong side of rivers from caches or when we had to ride 2.5 miles to get to a cache that was a mile away. By the end of the day he was pretty much hooked and now is figuring out how to scrounge up some money to buy his own gps.

I have lost all sympathy for Ron and the caches that stumped him in Modesto.

have a good one

george

Hey George...

Geocaching lesson #1 (learned the hard way by yours truly).....

If you're a crow, it's 1 mile to the cache. If you're a human being it's 2.5 times as far. This is especially true if there is a winding river road to follow, or if a mountain, ravine or other feature (aqueduct) gets in the way !

No sympathy for me eh? Then I will have to dedicate a cache to you...5 star difficulty, but I'll spare us both the 5 star terrain !

All in fun....Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.