Release Notes (Website: Search filtering) - August 26, 2021

50 minutes ago, brendan714 said:

Major bug: Say I do a search for caches within 100 km of home.  Any time I go back into the filters and change anything, it automatically resets the location to worldwide (even though when I run the search, it still says 100 km from home in the location / distance from location boxes).  The search/filters need to remember that I set it to within 100 km of home.

Again, like above, here the SW acts quite different:  (this is a video file, therefore it is on a my file store)

https://c.1und1.de/@519921967042658774/iAsAIoa6QgiOcXVRBHpCiw

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, brendan714 said:

I am confused why the default search includes no cache types, no cache sizes, no difficulties and no terrains?

I would expect the exact opposite: include everything by default and let me decide what to remove. 

I am more likely to want to search everything than nothing.

From my experience, if you leave everything blank it selects just everything, so the default search includes all cache types, all cache sizes, all difficulties and all terrains?.  The filtering starts, once you select any of the items.

So, no cache type selected = blank = all cache type,  cache type selected = small = just small.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mausebiber said:

From my experience, if you leave everything blank it selects just everything, so the default search includes all cache types, all cache sizes, all difficulties and all terrains?.  The filtering starts, once you select any of the items.

So, no cache type selected = blank = all cache type,  cache type selected = small = just small.

Hmm, I agree with you that this seems to be the case.  But it doesn't really make intuitive sense until you play with the search a little bit. 

Why not just check all the boxes by default, then it's clear that everything is selected?  Especially when there's a specific option to "select all" when everything is blank? 

• Helpful 2

I also find that trying to filter a location, brings up every cache in the world. 

Also clicking "View larger map" on a cache page, just brings up the detail you would get by clicking on a cache icon on a map, but I don't see any map. See attached image. 

As usual with "Improvements" from Geocaching, you end ip with half thought through, and untried, rubbish. 

Screenshot_20210829_183208_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Mausebiber said:
1 hour ago, brendan714 said:

Why not just check all the boxes by default,

You need to realize that this is a filter, nothing checked, no filter set.

Whatever it's called technically doesn't matter as much as what it does.

If having nothing checked returns everything, then the options are subtractive, reducing results. If the only way to get everything is to toggle everything on, then the options are additive. 

Here the options are primarily additive.  But, with nothing checked (eg the cache types) all are returned. It's not the first time this has been done. With nothing selected, a section reverts to the 'default' of returning all -- uncheck all cache types, and all results will match; but check one cache type, and only that will be returned.

So the question is - how literal should the options be?  Uncheck everything to return the same results as having everything checked? Or default to all checked so the definition of the filter options remains consistent?

The options have a mix of functionality.  I'd personally prefer to see everything additive, and begin with everything checked that returns a 'standard' search result. Make adjustments to the options as desired. (ie, if no cache types are selected, return nothing, otherwise it could confuse people)

eta: Alternatively, I've seen this functionality as well - if nothing is checked, disable the section so it's clear that the relevant filter is not being applied (that is, returning all). In that case, cache types being visibly disabled (and having nothing checked) returns the same result as all cache types being checked.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1

Hello,

We appreciate your detailed feedback and patience with this release. The team is working on fixing the bugs, and some of those will be available today
1." Caches I have not found" and "Caches I do not own" is not applying by default 
2."Not Found By" filter is not being applied and working as expected
I will keep the community updated with the latest on fixing the below bugs in the meantime
3. Map these geocaches- regional search is broken 
4. Radius search is not working
Again, as we are reviewing and processing the feedback, we are glad to see the amount of passion and care for the game, and our ultimate goal is to provide the best experiences to the geocaching community.

Edited by onepooja
  • Upvote 2

I also find that trying to filter a location, brings up every cache in the world. 

Also clicking "View larger map" on a cache page, just brings up the detail you would get by clicking on a cache icon on a map, but I don't see any map. See attached image. 

As usual with "Improvements" from Geocaching, you end ip with half thought through, and untried, rubbish. 

• Upvote 1

Noticed when I go on "nearest" and filter out finds, it shows 40.926767,-75.316533  as my location in the search box...

I live in an area where I can head into another state easily, a second within 50 miles.

If I just go by "nearest", that forever scroll still doesn't show what state you're in.  It used to...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Noticed when I go on "nearest" and filter out finds, it shows 40.926767,-75.316533  as my location in the search box...

I live in an area where I can head into another state easily, a second within 50 miles.

If I just go by "nearest", that forever scroll still doesn't show what state you're in.  It used to...

It has already been acknowledged in May that they would bring back this removed feature. But yeah its been more than 3 months and no progress at all...

Earlier, there was the option to filter for caches with "personal caches notes". It has disappeared a while ago apparently.

I would ask to bring it back for two reasons:

* Sometimes you forget to update cache coordinates. You can find _found caches_ _with field notes_ that _do not have corrected coordinates_ and fix it using this.

* Sometimes I do not manage to solve a cache before I visit a region. When I get back to that region I want to prepare and check back on those dormant listings which can be easily identified as _with field notes_ and _unfound_.

It shouldn't be a big deal to bring back this checkbox. Or has this option been hidden somewhere and I missed it?

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Hello,

We appreciate your detailed feedback and patience with this release. As we are aware, this is a complicated release, and The team has fixed all the pressing bugs so far, that includes
1." Caches I have not found" and "Caches I do not own" is not applying by default 
5. Archived caches not showing in the typeahead GC Code matches 

Again, as we are reviewing and processing the feedback in the meantime,  I am going to keep the community updated with the plan to incorporate this feedback soon. We are glad to see the amount of passion and care for the game, and our ultimate goal is to provide the best experiences to the geocaching community.

• Upvote 1

I don't use the search map often, but I'd expect the "list" view to match the "map view" results, but they don't. When I click on the search option of "Most Favorited" (for next month's mountain summit), the list view is for the world, but the map view is for near my home location. Maybe this is the intended result, but I find it strange.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, onepooja said:

Hello,

We appreciate your detailed feedback and patience with this release. As we are aware, this is a complicated release, and The team has fixed all the pressing bugs so far, that includes
5. Archived caches not showing in the typeahead GC Code matches 

Sorry but these two still aren't working for me. When I select Home location - 16km radius from the main search page:

image.png.ea50683f70e8cc8cd539ed80896ac6f6.png

then click on Filters, Caches I have not found and Caches I do not own are not being applied by default:

image.png.9e2365ec3acae051c7b9e873ffb745f9.png

Also the issue I reported earlier with the Search Map filters is still not working with regional searches. From the top menu bar I select Play - Search Map, which brings up a map centred on my home location, then I click on Filters and set it to search in a 16km radius of Tamworth in New South Wales (Australia):

image.png.b13d2a0cb8770f9c4215515096ece69d.png

When I click on Apply, the map still shows caches within a 16km radius of my home location in Umina Beach which is nowhere near Tamworth:

image.png.fd6ee42354f561265874201accb098c6.png

I'm using FIrefox 91.0.2 on Windows 10.

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't use the search map often, but I'd expect the "list" view to match the "map view" results, but they don't. When I click on the search option of "Most Favorited" (for next month's mountain summit), the list view is for the world, but the map view is for near my home location. Maybe this is the intended result, but I find it strange.

Similarly, I click on the search option of newest geocaches. Obviously I don't care what the newest geocaches are 5000 miles from my home location! I want to know the newest geocaches near me. The list starts with geocaches that are 5000 miles away but the map centers on my home location.

Windows 10 Firefox current
per Isonzo Karst use of Search 1 Sept

1."Caches I have not found" and "Caches I do not own" is not applying by default   -->  Not quite fixed.

•  Entering any term or standard Search from  Search, or using any of default searches, Favorites, Newest etc.  neither not owned nor not found is selected
  • If I start from Filters and begin a search, then not owned, not found is selected by  default
  • If if use the Search page default MAP search, then not owned, not found IS selected

2."Not Found By" filter is not being applied and working as expected  --> partially fixed

• see above -   once applied, "not found by" is working

3. Map these geocaches- regional search is broken  FIXED 

4. Radius search is not working  FIXED

5. Archived caches not showing in the typeahead GC Code matches    FIXED

Thanks for updates and for the fixes

Edited by Isonzo Karst
speeling
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but.... when I click on a friend's profile, on their geocaches hidden, and then a specific geocache, I am taken to my home location with the message: No search results. I wasn't searching, I was clicking on his geocache link.

Using Windows 10, Chrome browser, this works as expected for me, both active and archived caches link to the cache page.  What OS? What browser?

For clarity, I went to my dashboard, scrolled down to My Friends, chose one with hides, got to their profile page, Geocaches tab, Geocache Hides, then chose a couple off the list, both active and archived, and each time I got the cache page, as expected.

Hello,

We appreciate your detailed feedback and patience with this release. As we are aware, this is a complicated release, and team is working on fixing newly reported bugs, which includes

1. Web map-search filter location city search not working
  2. Mapping the newest caches from LIHP search result drops home location radius 
  3. Mapping most favorited caches from LIHP search result drops home location radius 

Again, as we are continuously monitoring the feedback, I am going to keep the community updated. We are glad to see the amount of passion and care for the game, and our ultimate goal is to provide the best experiences to the geocaching community.

Hello,

We appreciate your detailed feedback and patience with this release. As we are aware, this is a complicated release, and the team have fixed the below bugs,

1. Web map-search filter location city search not working
  2. Map these Geocaches on LIHP not working properly for some languages

I will keep the community updated with the latest on fixing the following bugs in the meantime,

1. Mapping most favorited caches from LIHP search result drops home location radius 
  2. Mapping the newest caches from LIHP search result drops home location radius 

Again, as we are continuously monitoring the feedback, we are glad to see the amount of passion and care for the game, and our ultimate goal is to provide the best experiences to the geocaching community.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, Max and 99 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but.... when I click on a friend's profile, on their geocaches hidden, and then a specific geocache, I am taken to my home location with the message: No search results. I wasn't searching, I was clicking on his geocache link.

I'm having similar problems when clicking onto friend's profile, on to geochaches then hides. Only things coming up are current hides; all previous hides, now archived, for example are not listed.  That includes events and there are occasional puzzles for which getting at that information would be very helpful.  (And hate it coming up on the map first, rather than a list; anyone who has hides in several countries will know the problem!)

Anyone any ideas, please?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Beechtrees said:

And hate it coming up on the map first, rather than a list; anyone who has hides in several countries will know the problem!)

You can change that in your settings. You choose whether you want the search results to default show on a list or map. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, PulmonaryHip said:

When I am on my public profile page, I can't navigate anywhere else.  The "Play" "Community" "Shop" don't give me any drop down lists, or even let me go anywhere else.  I just click and stay on the public profile page.  Can you fix that?

Yeah, that's weird.  I have the same.   Windows 10, edge.

Reading some of the above comments, I can't help but add something:

On the desktop version, it keeps resetting my default map filters to exclude my finds and my own hides.

Every time I go to the map lately (the last couple of weeks), I have to go into filter preferences and change it back to what I like (showing finds, showing hides, and under "not found by", eliminating the entry of myself.  I then hit the "apply" button and it becomes the map I want to see.

BUT THEN IF I LEAVE THE PAGE OR OPEN MAPS IN A NEW TAB, IT RESETS ITSELF TO IGNORE MY PREFERENCES, AND I HAVE TO GO ADJUST THE FILTERING ALL OVER AGAIN !

You have no idea how angry this makes me. Well, the fact that I logged in to make a forum post or two about it, and the fact I just did all caps shouting should tell make it clear.

Like keyboard-smashing angry.

"They" probably think this is helpful, but it's not. I want to see what I choose to see ! If I choose to see my finds and my hides, so be it !

1) The site should be remembering my preferences (at the very least as long as I remain logged in and the cookies are still valid), not resetting them to exclude most of what I see on my local area map.   

AND/OR

2) The default filtering should be no filtering at all. Let members choose to exclude what they do not want to see - do not make the choice for them automatically !

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, PulmonaryHip said:

When searching using a date (before 1/1/02 for example), why can't I just type in a date?  Having to click through the monthly calendar is very inefficient for the older caches.  Typing in the exact date seems like a no-brainer.

It is just as bad for newer caches.  Or for any time that one wants to find caches placed on, or before, or after, or between specified dates.  PLEASE change this.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, PulmonaryHip said:

When searching using a date (before 1/1/02 for example), why can't I just type in a date?  Having to click through the monthly calendar is very inefficient for the older caches.  Typing in the exact date seems like a no-brainer.

You don't have to "click through" the monthly calendar. If you hover your mouse over the month, you can use the mouse wheel to quickly scroll through them:

image.png.52033050d1ca4632e07064ab23c60a62.png

Likewise on the year, hovering the mouse over it lets you scroll through them and there are also up/down arrows that appear next to it that you can use too:

image.png.72d15da76eb35f3482ff6846e32e6e0d.png

Typing in a date might seem trivial but it takes quite a bit of coding to get right. Firstly there's the variety of date formats in use around the world, which HQ's developers seem to have a lot of trouble with (the Adventure Lab Builder page still has a mixture of my preferred date format (dd/mm/yyyyy) and American date format (mm/dd/yyyyy)), then there's the checking and validation that has to be done as the range of allowable days depends on the month (and in the case of February, the year). Sure it can be done but it can be tedious to get right for all locales.

• Surprised 1
5 hours ago, The Avenue Two said:

Why do I still not see a map, when I hit "View Larger  Map" on a cache page opened in Chrome ? 

All I get is the information that I would get from the Geocaching App, if I hit that cache icon on the map page there. 

(Android 10, tablet) 

The reason is your device is operating in portrait orientation and the map, which is normally to the right of the cache information panel, won't fit on your screen. You can either rotate your device so it's operating in landscape mode, in which case you should get the panel on the left and the map on the right, or you can just tap on the 'X' I've shown with the red arrow to remove the information panel and reveal the map underneath:

image.png.093d859ce9f843c0b158a23f99d88af6.png

17 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

You don't have to "click through" the monthly calendar. If you hover your mouse over the month, you can use the mouse wheel to quickly scroll through them:

Well, that sounds simple enough, but.. . .    I use a trackball rather than a standard mouse and don't have a mouse wheel.  And what about those many more people who use a laptop or tablet or even a phone with a trackpad or touchscreen instead of a mouse?  (Jeff-this is not actually directed at you, but at those programmers who seem think that everyone (or almost everyone) has the same equipment.)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 9/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, mysterion604 said:

BUT THEN IF I LEAVE THE PAGE OR OPEN MAPS IN A NEW TAB, IT RESETS ITSELF TO IGNORE MY PREFERENCES, AND I HAVE TO GO ADJUST THE FILTERING ALL OVER AGAIN !

You can bookmark search results - the filter parameters are in the URL, so you can effectively save any search setup and go directly to it from a bookmark. Handy workaround.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:45 PM, barefootjeff said:

Typing in a date might seem trivial but it takes quite a bit of coding to get right. Firstly there's the variety of date formats in use around the world

Not really... same can be said about gps coordinates (I wish they'd use the same unified input they have for corrected coordinate entry, auto-sensing the format). But, for a date the format requested can be shown in a label. There are plenty of websites I've visited where I have to enter m/d/y in the format they want, not the format I like :P Even so, it would be trivial to provide a localized set of date input fields dependent on the user.  A tap-tap-tap interface may be much more mobile-friendly, but less desktop friendly. Providing both input styles is really the more accommodating way in web design.

• Upvote 1
On 9/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, NanCycle said:

Well, that sounds simple enough, but.. . .    I use a trackball rather than a standard mouse and don't have a mouse wheel.  And what about those many more people who use a laptop or tablet or even a phone with a trackpad or touchscreen instead of a mouse?  (Jeff-this is not actually directed at you, but at those programmers who seem think that everyone (or almost everyone) has the same equipment.)

I would even be satisfied with being able to just hold down the left button and have the search zoom through the months.  This business of having to click once for each month is much too tedious.  I am planning a trip to an area I've never been and want to search for caches hidden between Aug 1, 2000 and Mar 31, 2001.  In addition, for whenever & wherever I happen to be, I want to search for caches hidden in 7 specific months of 2019 - 2021.

• Funny 1

Hello, 

We appreciate your overall feedback and patience while resolving the bugs. Our team has addressed the majority of issues that were reported in the forum so far. As we are continuously reviewing and processing the feedback, in the meantime, I am going to keep the community updated with the plan to incorporate this feedback soon.
We are glad to see the amount of passion and care for the game, and our ultimate goal is to provide the best experiences to the geocaching community.

Happy Geocaching ..!!