Cache not loading

maristua

In the app some mystery caches won't load and give me the cache information about the cache.  I see the cache on the map, but when I click on the cache it just says Something went wrong - can't load this content (or something in that wording.  I don't have the app in English so I don't know the exact wording the app use in English).  Other caches loads just fine and gives me all the information about the cache. 

I've tried to log out and log back in again.  The problem is still there.  I've tried to delete the app and reinstall it.  The problem is still there.  I've also tried to load the cache information while on Wifi and while on mobile data.  The problem is there both on Wifi and mobile data.

On the website I can access the caches just fine.  It's only in the app I have this problem.

Version information:

Version 8.56.1
Android 10
Samsung SM-G965F

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, maristua said:

In the app some mystery caches won't load and give me the cache information about the cache.  I see the cache on the map, but when I click on the cache it just says Something went wrong - can't load this content (or something in that wording.  I don't have the app in English so I don't know the exact wording the app use in English).  Other caches loads just fine and gives me all the information about the cache. 

I've tried to log out and log back in again.  The problem is still there.  I've tried to delete the app and reinstall it.  The problem is still there.  I've also tried to load the cache information while on Wifi and while on mobile data.  The problem is there both on Wifi and mobile data.

On the website I can access the caches just fine.  It's only in the app I have this problem.

Version information:

Version 8.56.1
Android 10
Samsung SM-G965F

I'm seeing this too, but so far suspiciously with only one cache. For weeks now every time I click on it I get the same exact message that it won't load. It is a mystery cache too.

• Helpful 2
On 8/26/2021 at 5:35 AM, maristua said:

Version information:

Version 8.56.1
Android 10
Samsung SM-G965F

I am seeing this more and more now and always for mystery caches! I simply cannot open the page even when I have Wi-Fi. 

"Something went wrong. This content cannot be loaded."

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, worrellsquirrel said:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have notified our engineers.

Just to post what I already sent you privately: 

100% of the caches I see with the error fall under one of two categories: puzzles I own and puzzles I have found. 

Not all my puzzles and not puzzles I have found get the error message but all that do get the error message fall under these two scenarios.

It appears that all of the caches that have the error message cannot be searched for on the geocaching app. 

That kind of makes sense to me that they're not coming up in the search, combined with cannot load this content error. 

Just posting an update that my owned puzzle caches still cannot be viewed in the app. If I'm in the field and need to access information and activity and waypoints, I need to use my husband's IOS phone to get the waypoints. and see if the hint needs to be updated. I can't view activity, contact anyone from activity, or read the description. I'm sure it's still being worked on, I'm just letting you know it's still a problem.

This is all I see:

Screenshot_20220118-122911.png

Edited by Max and 99
On 1/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Max and 99 said:

Just posting an update that my owned puzzle caches still cannot be viewed in the app. If I'm in the field and need to access information and activity and waypoints, I need to use my husband's IOS phone to get the waypoints. and see if the hint needs to be updated. I can't view activity, contact anyone from activity, or read the description. I'm sure it's still being worked on, I'm just letting you know it's still a problem.

This is all I see:

Screenshot_20220118-122911.png

I've reported this issue multiple times to the engineers. I've even given them lists of multiple caches that have this problem.

Sometimes they can reproduce it other times they can't.  They blamed my version of my phone.  However, other Android apps like Geooh Go

do not have the same problem.  Nor does the HQ app on iOS. Nor does Cachly.

I even have a bookmark list of 'Unable to Open' caches that I've run into and have shared this bookmark list with the Support team.

Still NO FIX.

UGH.

1 hour ago, bdp said:

I've reported this issue multiple times to the engineers. I've even given them lists of multiple caches that have this problem.

Sometimes they can reproduce it other times they can't.  They blamed my version of my phone.  However, other Android apps like Geooh Go

do not have the same problem.  Nor does the HQ app on iOS. Nor does Cachly.

I even have a bookmark list of 'Unable to Open' caches that I've run into and have shared this bookmark list with the Support team.

Still NO FIX.

UGH.

Are you seeing the duplicate logs issue I reported? I'm convinced they're related. At least someone else was able to confirm they are also seeing this issue!

This morning I was out doing a post-deluge check on a couple of my caches. On the first one I came to, GC4ZQTF, I wanted to see when the most recent on-line find was so I tried to open the cache on the app, only to get this:

Screenshot_20220315-103242_Geocaching.jpg.589b53087001b9df19632f3d651f92ef.jpg

Whatever it is that's going wrong, tapping Retry didn't fix it and even now, an hour later and back at home, trying to open that cache in the app is still saying Something went wrong. Curiously, at the other cache I visited (GC690V4), I was able to open it in the app without anything going wrong, so I guess there's something about the first cache that the app doesn't like. Presumably this is something that I, as CO, need to fix but just telling me SOMETHING WENT WRONG isn't helpful.

I know it's trendy not to put anything remotely technical in error messages, but really, most cachers are likely to be technically literate enough not to suffer a fatal seizure if they see something like "invalid image file", "unmatched html tag" or even just "communications error". If we're supposed to fix whatever went wrong, can we at least have a starting point to work from?

• Helpful 1
26 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

This morning I was out doing a post-deluge check on a couple of my caches. On the first one I came to, GC4ZQTF, I wanted to see when the most recent on-line find was so I tried to open the cache on the app, only to get this:

Screenshot_20220315-103242_Geocaching.jpg.589b53087001b9df19632f3d651f92ef.jpg

Whatever it is that's going wrong, tapping Retry didn't fix it and even now, an hour later and back at home, trying to open that cache in the app is still saying Something went wrong. Curiously, at the other cache I visited (GC690V4), I was able to open it in the app without anything going wrong, so I guess there's something about the first cache that the app doesn't like. Presumably this is something that I, as CO, need to fix but just telling me SOMETHING WENT WRONG isn't helpful.

I know it's trendy not to put anything remotely technical in error messages, but really, most cachers are likely to be technically literate enough not to suffer a fatal seizure if they see something like "invalid image file", "unmatched html tag" or even just "communications error". If we're supposed to fix whatever went wrong, can we at least have a starting point to work from?

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/365256-cache-not-loading/

I've been dealing with that for many many months. I cannot use the app to access those geocaches in the field.

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/365256-cache-not-loading/

I've been dealing with that for many many months. I cannot use the app to access those geocaches in the field.

In that thread, the problem seemed to be confined to Mystery caches, but the one I'm now having trouble with is a plain old traditional, with no images on the cache page, embedded links or anything other than text. Maybe it's the age of the cache it doesn't like, it's been out there for just over eight years now so maybe the app developers think a cache that old ought to have been archived.

Edited by barefootjeff
31 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

In that thread, the problem seemed to be confined to Mystery caches, but the one I'm now having trouble with is a plain old traditional, with no images on the cache page, embedded links or anything other than text. Maybe it's the age of the cache it doesn't like, it's been out there for just over nine years now so maybe the app developers think a cache that old ought to have been archived.

You are correct that previously it was just mystery caches. I noticed that at the time and thought it was strange. 

Edit: I'll I can't find any Traditionals that give me this message. Not even the one in your first post.

Edited by Max and 99
On 3/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, Max and 99 said:

Considering the condensing of subforums I wanted to add to this thread rather than start a new one. For a couple weeks now, whenever I open the Android app, I get a blank screen. It will stay blank forever, until and when I click on any other tab. Has anyone else noticed this?

My Android app is working just fine, as it usually does.

Version 8.69.0, Android 12, Google Pixel 4a

Drats! I was hoping this new app version would have fixed the caches not loading issue but I'm still seeing it. 

v. 8.71.0

Android 12

Edit: just wanted to add that I'm still having the issue with the blank screen every time I open the app. 

Edited by Max and 99
On 3/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, barefootjeff said:

Whatever it is that's going wrong, tapping Retry didn't fix it and even now, an hour later and back at home, trying to open that cache in the app is still saying Something went wrong.

Tonight I got this message on someone's multicache,  which is a first for me.

15 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
On 3/15/2022 at 11:28 AM, barefootjeff said:

Whatever it is that's going wrong, tapping Retry didn't fix it and even now, an hour later and back at home, trying to open that cache in the app is still saying Something went wrong.

Tonight I got this message on someone's multicache,  which is a first for me.

I'm still getting the Something went wrong on my cache (GC4ZQTF).

13 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm still getting the Something went wrong on my cache (GC4ZQTF).

I was able to load that cache however it would not show me any logs past the fifth from the bottom (I looked on the website to see what was past there). 

So I did have a different loading issue with that geocache. I came back to it later and was able to see the rest of the logs on the app.

I have been getting this problem for a while now on my Android phone. Sometimes I get the partial page but more often I just get the error message.  I've attached the version info from my phone and examples of both displays. So far the caches I have identified are all Mysteries or Multis. I have also noticed that if any of the problem caches are in a list the list will fail to download for offline use which is very frustrating since I use that feature a lot.  I wonder if this problem is at the root of several "List won't download" threads on the forums.

Here's the list of caches that will not load on my phone.  They aren't in any particular order .

The Cougar Country Challenge, GC116QW

Your Guess is as Good as Mine Mystery Cache, GC14X5G

Ninth Inning Heroics Mystery Cache, GC1NYGF

Numbrix Mystery Cache, GC1FDFP

DGSPikes Peak Views Multi-cache, GC6MJH2

Primary Factors, GCTR6R

DGS: What's in a Number? #1 ,  GC41G20

Wampus Cat's Lair, GC1B0AH

Crypto Cache # 10 - ENIGMA, GC1G01E

Rockin' Spivey, GC1RCWW

Fyre Spirit`s Stash, GC1HYC1

Moonshadow`s Secret, GC2TJPC