Jump to content

Garmin Oregon series discontinued?????


gpsblake
Followers 2

Recommended Posts

I'm willing to bet that Garmin has run out of stock of the Oregon 7x0 as production was discontinued, but they have not built up enough stock to release the next iteration of the line due to material shortages incurred during the pandemic. If they don't drop an Oregon 800 this winter, either for the Christmas rush or in January at CES, then we'll see it next summer.

Link to comment

The Oregons had their run.  They were average to pretty good.  Once you had their quirks well understood you worked around them and kept trekking and caching along.

 

I've moved on to a Montana 700 (these older eyes.)  It's pretty much an Oregon in a bigger, heavier case, but with 3, count em 3 batteries rather than 2.  You can still run AA NiMH cells in the optional back (strongly recommended.)  Brightness, ruggedness (I've dropped mine a couple times and slipped on a slope and it hit the dirt, rocks, branches any number of times, still works) and overall useability is on par.

 

I wrote what eventually amounted to a review in another thread, so I should go get that and post it as its own thread.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, DragonsWest said:

It's pretty much an Oregon in a bigger, heavier case,

That right there is significant, especially for us hikers who relish any reduction in the weight and bulk of our gear. I would be surprised if Garmin is abandoning a smaller form touch screen device altogether. As I said before, it's possible that they have exhausted their stock of the previous oregon line but have not built up a stock of the replacement to release one yet. After all, the pandemic has led to a shortage in microchips affecting electronics in a wide range of products.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

That right there is significant, especially for us hikers who relish any reduction in the weight and bulk of our gear. I would be surprised if Garmin is abandoning a smaller form touch screen device altogether. As I said before, it's possible that they have exhausted their stock of the previous oregon line but have not built up a stock of the replacement to release one yet. After all, the pandemic has led to a shortage in microchips affecting electronics in a wide range of products.

 

It could be they are conceding the form factor to mobile phones.  The one thing the Montana offers that Apple, et al, do not is a LARGE phone for people who want more real estate to gaze upon.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, DragonsWest said:

 

It could be they are conceding the form factor to mobile phones.  The one thing the Montana offers that Apple, et al, do not is a LARGE phone for people who want more real estate to gaze upon.

It seems like the Montana was designed with some kind of motorized use in mind - ATVs, ORVs, etc. and that seems evident in the new powered mount that they included with it in addition to the larger screen. I expect a new pocket-sized version of that to come out sometime in the near future that caters to non-motorized outdoor enthusiasts. Something that will fit in a pocket/clip to a pack and not be cumbersome on a bike or kayak or canoe. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the outdoor community heavily favors buttons over touch screens to justify eliminating the Oregon's niche altogether.

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

It seems like the Montana was designed with some kind of motorized use in mind - ATVs, ORVs, etc. and that seems evident in the new powered mount that they included with it in addition to the larger screen. I expect a new pocket-sized version of that to come out sometime in the near future that caters to non-motorized outdoor enthusiasts. Something that will fit in a pocket/clip to a pack and not be cumbersome on a bike or kayak or canoe. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the outdoor community heavily favors buttons over touch screens to justify eliminating the Oregon's niche altogether.

The rubber exterior on the Oregon wore through and I have seen buttons on the GPSMap series lose their labels and wear through.  I expect I'll see the same with the Montana in a few years.  This is why we have self adhesive innertube patches.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 2
×
×
  • Create New...