Why is the area so saturated but no hides at all on trail?

Hey! We have just submitted our 1st hide..

But struggled to find an available spot..

There is 1 cache on the top end of trail that we want to use and this is a difficult premium cache.

There is another 2 father down the costal path being at

N 051° 35.525' W 003° 47.705

If you want to search the area that I'm talking about.

i've tried to google to see why the red zones are unavailable but empty and cannot find 5he answer!

Are they old retired caches?

Are they just 'owned' by people that can just reserve it but not fill it? don't know if that's a thing?

Are they possibly waypoints instead of physical cache hides? 

They aren't historical areas that don't allow caches.

It's all common land or forestry commission/forestry trail/costal trail which automatically grants permission.

Is this normal? 

Screenshot to try to show.

Top area of my photo of the map is the premium cache which is further up than I want to place ours. 

But all the trail loop I want to use is drawn in red on my screenshot had all of the unavailable red zones upon it.  I've  highlighted next to the river in blue to show how large of an area it is.

Can anyone help?

Screenshot_20210822-165959_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-170033_Geocaching.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-171634_Maps~2.jpg

• Funny 1

1.  You are a Basic Member, so you do not see Advanced Caches on your map in the official Geocaching App.  You can see Advanced Caches on the website.  Looking at this area, I see quite a few caches with a Difficulty or Terrain rating greater than 2 stars.

2.  No, archived caches are not shown on the cache planning map.

3.  No, unpublished caches are not shown on the cache planning map.

4.  No, virtual waypoints with no physical element do not count towards the Cache Saturation test.

5.  Hidden waypoints of multi-caches, mystery caches, etc. are not shown on the cache planning map.

• Helpful 5
10 minutes ago, Kedwardcacheys said:

Ok, so at that the area (not generalised geocaching rule, specifically my coordinates)

are there so many unavailable red zones when there aren't any caches there?

Do I find an administrator to look at it?

I don't know if this will help you but you can do a coordinate check where you want to place a geocache. I'll find the link for you.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=22&pgid=199

47 minutes ago, Kedwardcacheys said:

Reread Keystone's reply to your original post. In particular, his first point:

3 hours ago, Keystone said:

1.  You are a Basic Member, so you do not see Advanced Caches on your map in the official Geocaching App.  You can see Advanced Caches on the website.  Looking at this area, I see quite a few caches with a Difficulty or Terrain rating greater than 2 stars.

When you look for caches in Groundspeak's Geocaching app, you will not see any cache with difficulty greater than 2 stars, or with terrain greater than 2 stars. However, when you try to create a new cache listing, those "advanced" caches with higher difficulty/terrain ratings do affect the saturation of the area, and you will see red circles around their locations.

If you view the map on the web site (not in Groundspeak's Geocaching app), then you will be able to see these "advanced" caches that the app hides from you.

• Upvote 3
48 minutes ago, Kedwardcacheys said:

Ok, so at that the area (not generalised geocaching rule, specifically my coordinates)

Do I find an administrator to look at it?

There are so many unavailable red zones when there ARE caches.

A Reviewer will do a coordinate check for proximity of a specified location to any hidden waypoints associated with Mystery Caches, Multi-caches, Wherigo Caches and Letterbox Hybrid Caches.  It is up to you to check for proximity to Traditional caches.

3 hours ago, Kedwardcacheys said:

Screenshot_20210822-165959_Chrome.jpg

F38C344C-CE35-4691-AC46-11C6C38B579F.jpeg

There are a bunch of caches in that area.  Because the map doesn’t show every possible conflict in such a saturated area, it may be good to attend an Event and ask around.  But every red circle is truly occupied.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
10 hours ago, Keystone said:

That's incorrect. Advanced Caches are Grey in the app.

I think you meant Premium Member Only Caches that you can't see at all on the app and the website.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Kedwardcacheys said:

Thank you for clearing that up! The one thing didn't think of was that premium cache would be hidden from basic member via app or even default on Web browser. 

Unusual marketing technique! I've thought upgrading pointless for slightly more cache.

Seeing all makes worth while. 

Be wary of that last "See ALL" - you still won't see hidden hidden waypoints and Puzzle/Mystery cache 'final' locations.

What you WILL get is an enhanced sense of belonging in the community and the knowledge that you're helping to support the massive machine that is Geocaching.Com.

Everyone can play at a basic level for free, and that's pretty unusual.

To ME, that's the most important reason for staying a Premium Member (with Platinum Status).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 8/22/2021 at 1:52 PM, niraD said:

When you look for caches in Groundspeak's Geocaching app, you will not see any cache with difficulty greater than 2 stars, or with terrain greater than 2 stars. However, when you try to create a new cache listing, those "advanced" caches with higher difficulty/terrain ratings do affect the saturation of the area, and you will see red circles around their locations.

If you view the map on the web site (not in Groundspeak's Geocaching app), then you will be able to see these "advanced" caches that the app hides from you.

Off-topic, but thus you could create a sort of Intermediate class of caches — not the same as Premium Members Only, but unseen by Beginners -- by setting either of those ratings higher than two stars, ratings being highly subjective anyway.

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, chasclifton said:

Off-topic, but thus you could create a sort of Intermediate class of caches — not the same as Premium Members Only, but unseen by Beginners -- by setting either of those ratings higher than two stars, ratings being highly subjective anyway.

But, by performing this particular 'gaming of the system', you break the established D/T mechanism and violate the universally understood, commonly used intended purpose: to let cachers filter the caches they seek by the factors of Difficulty and Terrain. The descriptions of caches created like this would be by definition unreliable. Worse than the dreaded 'soft coordinates', these could be blatantly, intentionally false.

Yes, I know "D/T" ratings are subjective, but they should be subjective within an honest rating attempt. What's 'easy' for a six-foot 25 year old may be impossible for a five-foot sixty year old, but that difference is an accepted part of the game.

Unless you're just pointing out that hiding legitimately-high-rated caches creates a de facto, coincidental 'intermediate' cache class as you've called it, I think this is poorly-advised practice.

In the IT shop in which I work, this kind of bending of a system to make it work outside of the intended usage is known as "Phone Number in the Middle-Name Field."

4 hours ago, chasclifton said:

Off-topic, but thus you could create a sort of Intermediate class of caches — not the same as Premium Members Only, but unseen by Beginners --

Only unseen on a phone app.   All caches that are not PMO are available to basic members from the website.

Admittedly, most new players are only using an app, and don't seem to see the site at all, much less understand how to use their ability to download a gpx file from any cache that isn't PMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1