GPX file transfer from Android phone to Garmin 66s in the field

After a weird GPX failure yesterday, I tried to upload a GPX file from my phone to my Garmin 66s, using the Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore apps, but nothing would work. I've since managed to get 'Live Geocaching' to work, which kind of does the job... but it would still be nice to be able to upload a .GPX file from the phone to the Garmin 66s and then switch off Bluetooth. Has anyone managed to do it (via wifi or Bluetooth - without having to connect the 66s to a laptop via the cable)?

1 hour ago, Boomshanka said:

After a weird GPX failure yesterday, I tried to upload a GPX file from my phone to my Garmin 66s, using the Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore apps, but nothing would work. I've since managed to get 'Live Geocaching' to work, which kind of does the job... but it would still be nice to be able to upload a .GPX file from the phone to the Garmin 66s and then switch off Bluetooth. Has anyone managed to do it (via wifi or Bluetooth - without having to connect the 66s to a laptop via the cable)?

There are topics about using USB WiFi routers, and they tend to be temperamental and their Apps are cheesy.

But for your GPS, look up how to load Pocket Queries and Lists.  You still set up a List on the phone, but bypass the extra accessories.

https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66sr/Applications - Geocaching.html#x-Geocache PQ List Download

41 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

modern Android phones will connect to usb devices directly. You can get a usb-c to micro-USB A cable and save a GPX file directly to the GPS.

This can result in a permanently bricked device if you are not absolutely sure what you are doing. 

2 hours ago, Boomshanka said:

I tried to upload a GPX file from my phone to my Garmin 66s, using the Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore apps

Explore only loads waypoints, tracks and maybe routes. No Geocache support.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

There are topics about using USB WiFi routers, and they tend to be temperamental and their Apps are cheesy.

But for your GPS, look up how to load Pocket Queries and Lists.  You still set up a List on the phone, but bypass the extra accessories.

https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66sr/Applications - Geocaching.html#x-Geocache PQ List Download

Many thanks for the answers... I've tried this and it works, both via Bluetooth and wifi... so that will be fine for a PQ update in the field over Bluetooth (although the data transfer is quite slow, so I'd probably nip into the PQ and reduce the cache number before syncing). Thanks again.

51 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

With a 66, you can download a PQ as a list via Geocaching Live. Why not use that route instead of installing a GPX file? It seems like fewer steps are needed.

Yep, the PQ syncs via Geocaching Live (as per kunarion's link). Apologies if my terminology was confusing things between PQ and GPX.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Boomshanka said:

Has anyone managed to do it (via wifi or Bluetooth - without having to connect the 66s to a laptop via the cable)?

I've had the 66s for almost a year now and I find it awesome.  It has so many great features including being able to download "geocaches"  to the unit from anywhere using GC Live Download.

I've had occasion to use this feature a couple of times and it worked great. Bluetooth is necessary as it communicates with your phone.  You can access it from the Main Menu under "Geocaching" and then "Menu" to see "GC Live Download".  Premium members can download more caches using this method than basic members but there is a limit.

Also, regarding transferring GPX files to the unit, I find using Pocket Queries easy and fast.  Just plug the GPS into your computer and use "mass storage".  You'll see the all the folders and files from your unit on the screen.  Then unzip the PQ in "downloads" and drag the file over to your Garmin "sd card" or internal storage.  Works great for me.  

2 hours ago, 2quigs said:

Also, regarding transferring GPX files to the unit, I find using Pocket Queries easy and fast.  Just plug the GPS into your computer and use "mass storage".  You'll see the all the folders and files from your unit on the screen.  Then unzip the PQ in "downloads" and drag the file over to your Garmin "sd card" or internal storage.  Works great for me.  

I do too, but in this topic, we're specifically talking about loading caches while out in the field. So that means either doing that from your phone, which can be done, or grabbing the PQ from GC Live directly on the device.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

grabbing the PQ from GC Live directly on the device.

Just wondering...since PQs can include upwards of 1000 geocaches, would a download of this size be possible thru GC Live Download.   I thought that using GC Live Download in the field would only allow a limited number of geocaches to be downloaded from a particular area.  Any clarification would be appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, 2quigs said:

Just wondering...since PQs can include upwards of 1000 geocaches, would a download of this size be possible thru GC Live Download.   I thought that using GC Live Download in the field would only allow a limited number of geocaches to be downloaded from a particular area.  Any clarification would be appreciated. 

I did that while setting up my Oregon 750, and had no issues.  But except for drives between cache areas, I’ve never needed a PQ that I hadn’t already loaded (they tend to cover an area least 90 miles across, and I arrive in the middle of that).  And lately I even load a few choice caches along the way.  OK, sometimes I arrive and the PQ didn’t arrive on the GPS.  But that’s rare.

I once looked at cheapie Windows 10 pocket PCs at about $150.  Tiny screen, tiny memory, not great battery life.  But I could run Windows utilities and send caches from the web site.  It of course requires a data subscription that includes a phone “hotspot” which you need anyway for Geocaching Live.

Since I’d want to do more (resizing photos, cache planning, etc.), I’d want a more capable PC, and that pretty much means I might as well bring my laptop, and use it indoors at some WiFi Hotspot along the way.

Edited by kunarion

I ran into an issue with my workflow for the first time this summer when I road tripped across the country. I like to leave the highways and travel back roads on a whim, so I couldn't just pre-plan a specific route and create PQs that way. And I'd have to make too many regular PQs to cover my trip. So I just made a few PQs for the areas that had spotty cell phone reception and loaded those onto my GPS and the rest of the time I cached by phone. This may lead to a permanent reduction in GPS usage when geocaching, using it only for hiking and those trips into the mountains where there is no phone signal.

Sometimes I think we GPS enthusiasts miss the obvious solution, which is just to use our phones at times.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Sometimes I think we GPS enthusiasts miss the obvious solution, which is just to use our phones at times.

But if you are using your phone more than your GPSr, are you really a " GPS Enthusiast"?

I publish all my logs using my PC and GSAK after returning home,  so I need all finds to be logged on my GPSr.

I really hadn't used my phone much for geocaching until this summer. Because I was kinda forced to do it that way, I got used to the convenience. I can log all my finds on the spot by speaking my log (easier than phone typing). I still save them as drafts many times and finish logging from the computer, mostly to attach trackable logs to it. Will GSAK pull drafts from the website to include with your GPS field notes?

20 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I can log all my finds on the spot by speaking my log (easier than phone typing). I still save them as drafts many times and finish logging from the computer,

The 66s can also log on the spot.  Very convenient if making a lot of finds.  No need to remember which ones to log. The only issue is the automated Garmin log which shows up on logs after registering a find: "submitted via garmin live geocaching". Sometimes logs require just a little bit more description of what you experienced.  So I prefer editing each log on the computer later when at home.

Edited by 2quigs