Visiting Colorado in January

wimseyguy

We are flying from NC into DEN and driving out to Breckenridge right after New Year's for some skiing. Any recommendations for caches along the way or in Summit Co. once we get there? Not interested in taking on any major league 4WD/snoeshoe expeditions, but not afraid of a challange either! Thanks in advance-Wimseyguy and Shadowgal

Be careful what you wish for!

Well its allready over knee deep up there. Steamboat has gotten over 5 ft. this season.

Both Vail & Steamboat are opening up early to large amounts of snow.

Its supposed to snow about 2 ft. up there tonight, so Cachers up there could be difficult to say the least.

Maybe you could find some in the Denver Area but that could be white in 2 more months.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.cotrip.org/tms/tms.web.cctv.CctvMarshal?area=1

Check on CDOT every now and then to see what is happening.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

We are flying from NC into DEN and driving out to Breckenridge right after New Year's for some skiing. Any recommendations for caches along the way or in Summit Co. once we get there? Not interested in taking on any major league 4WD/snoeshoe expeditions, but not afraid of a challange either! Thanks in advance-Wimseyguy and Shadowgal

How much time will you have in the Denver area? There are caches you can do uven with a lot of snow. Thi is a virtual on the west side of the city, not too far from the highway Let me know how long you are going to be in CO and we, C.A.C.H.E. will what we can to help

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:
How much time will you have in the Denver area? There are caches you can do uven with a lot of snow. Thi is a virtual on the west side of the city, not too far from the highway Let me know how long you are going to be in CO and we, C.A.C.H.E. will what we can to help

We arrive at 1.30pm,and I would like to be out in front of westbound traffic, but am game for a legstretching detour on the way to ski country. I already have a TB for Mondo's Bug Hotel, have printed out the S Platte River Coin cache, and could stop for the great Human Being one if it is not too far off the highway.

We also may spend some time back in Denver on departure day since our flight isn't til 3.40pm.

The CO Benchmark intrigued me since I run the restaurant at the NC Museun of Natural Sciences and may wnat to check out your dino bones.

Um, Dogsoldier- are you trying to keep all the good powder for yourself? The listing for Co Island warns not to try in winter due to the unstabel ice; or is this year's drought so severe that we would be safe trying for it? icon_wink.gif

Thanks in advance for the tips.

wimseyguy....believe me, the Colorado Island cache is far from being an island at this time. The info. on the cache page refers to happier times when there is actually water surrounding the island! I was there in October, and you've got to drop at least 50 or so vertical feet from the islands edge to hit any water. You'll see when you get there, but the "island" is far from being an island at this time. I'm sure you'd be able to get it with no problems. Snowshoes might help, but iced over water will be of no concern.