Garmin rep coming to Santa Cruz

Coralgeo

ATTN all Central Coast California Geocachers. I was at West Marine earlier today and they had the following notice posted:"Here's your chance to meet the Garmin representative! Get your questions answered and find out what's new and exciting from Garmin. The rep will be at West Marine (17th and Soquel Extension behind Staples) on Wednesday, May 29th at 7pm." If you're interested, maybe we can get a group of geocachers together and meet there. Anyone interested? Post a reply here.

[This message was edited by coralgeo on May 09, 2002 at 01:13 PM.]

This is a good Idea let's have a evening get-together!

quote:
Originally posted by coralgeo:

ATTN all Central Coast California Geocachers. I was at West Marine earlier today and they had the following notice posted:"Here's your chance to meet the Garmin representative! Get your questions answered and find out what's new and exciting from Garmin. The rep will be at West Marine (17th and Soquel Extension behind Office Max) on Wednesday, May 29th at 7pm." If you're interested, maybe we can get a group of geocachers together and meet there. Anyone interested? Post a reply here.

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

We're in the process of planning to make this a CCGC event for the locals. Since it's a weekday we understand that lots of people will be busy and such. Also, we are still planning a CCGC picnic on the beach sometime in late June. :~)

Iron Chef

The Garmin rep won't be at West Marin until 7pm, so it may last until 8:30 or later. I don't know about you, but I can't wait that long for dinner. I'm going to set up the "event" so that we meet up beforehand for dinner. If people can't make it that soon after work, and maybe want a second chance to get together afterwards, that's great. Now, if I can just find the lat/long for West Marine...

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

Dinner before hand sounds great. :~)

West Marine is located at N36 59.118 W121 58.887

quote:

The Garmin rep won't be at West Marin until 7pm, so it may last until 8:30 or later. I don't know about you, but I can't wait that long for dinner. I'm going to set up the "event" so that we meet up beforehand for dinner. If people can't make it that soon after work, and maybe want a second chance to get together afterwards, that's great. Now, if I can just find the lat/long for West Marine...

----------------------

Iron Chef

TPTB haven't approved the cache yet, but here's the URL http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22068 At this point in time, you've got to be logged in to view it. It's being held up for approval due to the commercial sounding nature (does it sound too commercial to you?)

----------------------

We won't be able to view it until it gets approved. :~( Jeremy has the server set to not allow non-owners of caches to view unapproved caches.

quote:

TPTB haven't approved the cache yet, but here's the URL http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22068 At this point in time, you've got to be logged in to view it. It's being held up for approval due to the commercial sounding nature (does it sound too commercial to you?)

----------------------

Iron Chef

Everything You've Always Wanted To Know About Garmin

Now's your chance to ask!

On Wednesday, May 29th at 7pm, a representative from Garmin will be at the West Marine store in Santa Cruz. Whether you're a Garmin, Magellan (or Trimble, or whatever) user, come meet up with fellow geocachers beforehand for dinner around 5:30 or 5:45 at Erik's Deli Cafe (1664 Soquel, across from Dominican Hospital, near ToysRUs, opposite side of Hwy 1 from West Marine). We'll eat and chat, and then head across the highway to West Marine (17th and Soquel Ave extension, next to Staples). Please log the cache as "other" for now, and let us know to expect you (I told WM I'd call them with an approximate head count so they'll have enough chairs). If you can't make it in time to eat with everyone at Erik's, you can probably talk one or two folks into hanging out afterwards ;-)

Coords for Erik's Deli are: N36 59.337 W121 58.895

EriksCoupon.gif

print out the above coupon and bring it with you!

Now you have the info in case it never gets approved. Do you really think it sounds too commercial?

I was wondering if one of you nice folks could make a software suggestion to the Garmin Rep.? I think it'd benefit most folk if all Garmin GPS's had an "Emergency Beacon;" ie...a way of sending an SOS.

Scenario: I was hiking off path, when I fell down a ravine. My cell phone won't work cuz I'm miles from the nearest antennae. My whistle only reaches a mile away, and I'm 5 miles from the trail. My mirror would work, but I'm in a ravine with a broken foot and can't climb. Also my light sticks and flashlight are only good at night.

If I could hit a button on my GPSr and have it send an SOS, I'd be saved even if my GPSr said I was "such and such" footage off!

Mike (The DirtMan) Pellerin

aka Badger

dirtman@iname.com

Jason Dobson

aka "Jay" "J"

Myth8499@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by Showcase_Boyz:

I was wondering if one of you nice folks could make a software suggestion to the Garmin Rep.?

What you are proposing would be a nice thing to have, but it is much more than simply a software suggestion. Since GPS units are only recievers (the vast majority of units at least) there would be no way for them to transmit the emergency beacon. There is other technology out there that will do what you are asking Garmin to do. The time will probably come in the future where this may be a possibility, but right now you'd have to go through a roundabout method to do it or buy one of those beacons.

Iron Chef

Thanks to everyone who showed up at Erik's Deli Cafe (and then later moved to West Marine across the highway). I think we had a good time, although it would have been better if the Garmin Rep had showed up. :~P I had fun. :~)

Iron Chef