Caching in/around Sacramento, CA

Guest kimbeattie

Guest kimbeattie

I've been waiting for someone to suggest a Sacramento Area Geocachers picnic/get together . . . I didn't suggest it, because I didn't want to be the one responsible for organizing the event. icon_smile.gif I'm all for the idea! (And I'm not known for attending social events like work Xmas parties, staff picnics, etc. Too shy, you know . . .) But I figure I'd have at least one thing in common with everyone at the Geocachers picnic! Besides, it would be neat to meet everyone fact to face. Count me in!

Guest DustySneakers

icon_smile.gif Yes! Apollo and I were just talking about how nice a picnic would be on our way to work this morning. Count us in!

We searched for Alcatraz tonight! icon_frown.gif We were not the only ones either. We got to meet the GeoRockers! 10 of us bush whacking and couldn't find it anywhere! Sad, isn't it.

Guest DustySneakers

icon_smile.gif Yes! Apollo and I were just talking about how nice a picnic would be on our way to work this morning. Count us in!

We searched for Alcatraz tonight! icon_frown.gif We were not the only ones either. We got to meet the GeoRockers! 10 of us bush whacking and couldn't find it anywhere! Sad, isn't it.

Well between McIrish, Kimbo, me & the team of Dusty and Apollo that's enough to get started! Okay first things first- WHEN??

Is Labor Day weekend- like Sunday a good time because everyone has Monday off or a bad time because you will be gone?

How about the weekend after? September 8 or 9?

The weekend of August 25 or 26? List your top 2 choices of dates and the majority wins!

Second- we need a place- William Land Park? Someplace smaller? There are enough places around that one should be easy. As soon as those 2 things are decided we can start posting it. McIrish want to be in charge of organizing the food? Potluck everything or just side dishes?

This should be fun icon_smile.gif

(and Kimbo anyone who talks to reporters and gets his picture in the areas largest newspaper is no longer allowed to claim to be shy lol!!)

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Well between McIrish, Kimbo, me & the team of Dusty and Apollo that's enough to get started! Okay first things first- WHEN??

Is Labor Day weekend- like Sunday a good time because everyone has Monday off or a bad time because you will be gone?

How about the weekend after? September 8 or 9?

The weekend of August 25 or 26? List your top 2 choices of dates and the majority wins!

Second- we need a place- William Land Park? Someplace smaller? There are enough places around that one should be easy. As soon as those 2 things are decided we can start posting it. McIrish want to be in charge of organizing the food? Potluck everything or just side dishes?

This should be fun icon_smile.gif

(and Kimbo anyone who talks to reporters and gets his picture in the areas largest newspaper is no longer allowed to claim to be shy lol!!)

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest The 19th

Even those outside the area think it's a good idea! In an email to me from Iron Chef:

quote:

So you are from the Sacramento area? I need to try to get up there sometime as there has been an explosion of caches around there from the looks of it. Seems like a very exciting place to be these days in California as far as geocaching goes. It seems like a good bunch of people up there as far as geocachers go, very active too. You guys should organize a picnic or such.

Count me and my nephews in as well... If there's any other way I can help, just give a holler. Elk Grove isn't too far from Galt anyway. icon_smile.gif

I guess we should also set up another thread for this, as this one is quite long! icon_smile.gif

Guest The 19th

Even those outside the area think it's a good idea! In an email to me from Iron Chef:

quote:

So you are from the Sacramento area? I need to try to get up there sometime as there has been an explosion of caches around there from the looks of it. Seems like a very exciting place to be these days in California as far as geocaching goes. It seems like a good bunch of people up there as far as geocachers go, very active too. You guys should organize a picnic or such.

Count me and my nephews in as well... If there's any other way I can help, just give a holler. Elk Grove isn't too far from Galt anyway. icon_smile.gif

I guess we should also set up another thread for this, as this one is quite long! icon_smile.gif

Guest Randsom

Wow Just found this link from main page. Really nice. A friend of mine mentioned Geocaching to me. I found Main page and have been excited since. Ran right down to Sports authority and said Just give me the best GPS thing you have.I knew nothing about how they worked.I have a Magellan 330 seems to work great. I love knowing where Im at and exploring new places has always been a love.

Thanks to everyone who has hidden caches and look forward to my returning the effort.

Guest lborgens

New cache placed today!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4584

Not approved yet but you can go NOW and be the first one there!

My first time placing a cache. I was disappointed that there are not more of them in and around Stockton, especially in and around our great foothills to the East. The Bay Area and Alameda / Contra Costa county are teaming with caches... We need more in the valley and in all the great locations that lie directly to the East.

This cache location also has some personal significance. This cache is located at the site of the largest know living Valley Live Oak. My grandfather found the tree in the early 1980?s, thus the name ?Darold?s Tree? cache. If you visit please be careful not to damage the tree or it?s surroundings.

Go check it out and post your find? Then have a meal over in Valley Springs. They have a great Chinese restaurant and a pizza place in town? A little something for everybody!

Guest Randsom

Hello again icon_smile.gif Having just found this area of the geocaching site and reading previous posts I wanted to comment to Ron and Apollo's thread. I found the Smiley Face cache intriguing and a wonderful challenge. I am brand new at this having only found 4 cache's so concider my perception. I noticed the higher number rating's for this cache and of coarse wanted to go. icon_smile.gif So I went in search of rating defintions. Hmmm.. found some under the hiding cache info.page. That was helpful but not to defining at all. So maybe more defined key to that rating system is in order or am I missing it?? Again just a newbie. Arriving at Smiley Face cache site I could see the dangers of my pursuit right away.I personally would not have expected any more warning then I got.There were not any hidden dangers awaiting me that I found.I enjoyed having the choices left to me.I could have,at any time chose to abort. Ron I understand your concern and appreciate it. But maybe this rating deal could be better and save people a drive. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Guest Randsom

Hello again icon_smile.gif Having just found this area of the geocaching site and reading previous posts I wanted to comment to Ron and Apollo's thread. I found the Smiley Face cache intriguing and a wonderful challenge. I am brand new at this having only found 4 cache's so concider my perception. I noticed the higher number rating's for this cache and of coarse wanted to go. icon_smile.gif So I went in search of rating defintions. Hmmm.. found some under the hiding cache info.page. That was helpful but not to defining at all. So maybe more defined key to that rating system is in order or am I missing it?? Again just a newbie. Arriving at Smiley Face cache site I could see the dangers of my pursuit right away.I personally would not have expected any more warning then I got.There were not any hidden dangers awaiting me that I found.I enjoyed having the choices left to me.I could have,at any time chose to abort. Ron I understand your concern and appreciate it. But maybe this rating deal could be better and save people a drive. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Guest kimbeattie

There is another thread in the forums where a rating system was discussed. A concensus was arrived at that everyone liked. I believe the list will eventually be made the "official rating scale" sometime soon. Here are the scales:

TERRAIN:

1 = Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

2 = Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

3 = Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.

4 = Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay. )

5 = requires specialized equipment and knowledge/experience. (Boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.)

DIFFICULTY:

1 = Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

2 = Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

3 = Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

4 = Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter ? may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

5 = Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache. (I feel all metal detector caches should go here. The reasoning is the same as that used for terrain ranking above: If specialized equipment or skills are needed that the average cache hunter likely does not have, it should receive the top rating.)

There is even a program (PCs only I think) that you can run to help rate a cache. The software can be downloaded at: http://www.cordianet.com/snd/GCRS.zip

The forum thread for the rating discussion can be found at: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000456.html

The forum thread for the GCRS software can be found at: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000506.html

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

quote:
Originally posted by mav:

As to date, I vote for the weekend prior to Labor Day or the weekend after. Labor Day weekend itself is liable to be a zoo, no matter what location we agree upon.

As to location . . . Do I detect a southern Sacramento bias to the suggested locations? icon_smile.gif I'm not a big fan of William Land Park, but I see the need to find a central location that everyone can get to without too much travel. Since no other locations spring to mind, I'll go to any location in the greater Sacramento area.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Mav! And thanks to everyone who is volunteering to help coordinate this get together.

Guest kimbeattie

quote:

As to date, I vote for the weekend prior to Labor Day or the weekend after. Labor Day weekend itself is liable to be a zoo, no matter what location we agree upon.

As to location . . . Do I detect a southern Sacramento bias to the suggested locations? icon_smile.gif I'm not a big fan of William Land Park, but I see the need to find a central location that everyone can get to without too much travel. Since no other locations spring to mind, I'll go to any location in the greater Sacramento area.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Mav! And thanks to everyone who is volunteering to help coordinate this get together.

quote:
Originally posted by kimbeattie:

As to location . . . Do I detect a southern Sacramento bias to the suggested locations? icon_smile.gif

No you don't icon_wink.gif! I was just trying to stay central for everyone from Stockton to Roseville, as well as make it east to get to, even for people from out of the area. Suggest away! I don't know that many places around town. Gibson Ranch would be fun, but it is a bit far out, and it costs to get into it. What else is there?

quote:

You're welcome! I love to plan & I love parties- this is right up my alley lol! Thanks McIrish for starting the new chain and for taking over the food planning as well!

Here is the link for those too lazy to go find it LOLOLOL!! :D

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000086.html

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

As to location . . . Do I detect a southern Sacramento bias to the suggested locations? icon_smile.gif

No you don't icon_wink.gif! I was just trying to stay central for everyone from Stockton to Roseville, as well as make it east to get to, even for people from out of the area. Suggest away! I don't know that many places around town. Gibson Ranch would be fun, but it is a bit far out, and it costs to get into it. What else is there?

quote:

You're welcome! I love to plan & I love parties- this is right up my alley lol! Thanks McIrish for starting the new chain and for taking over the food planning as well!

Here is the link for those too lazy to go find it LOLOLOL!! :D

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000086.html

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by cpnmidnite:

Count me in for the picnic. You may not know me by name, but I am Pops of the McIrish clan.

Hi Pops! Been emailing your daughter- nice girl you raised icon_smile.gif Looking forward to meeting you at the picnic

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by cpnmidnite:

Count me in for the picnic. You may not know me by name, but I am Pops of the McIrish clan.

Hi Pops! Been emailing your daughter- nice girl you raised icon_smile.gif Looking forward to meeting you at the picnic

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest McIrish

Met the GeoRockers today out at Alcatraz!! Great group of people who were heading out to Smiley Face! Hope they were successful. I am sure they were, they seemed determined and well prepared!! Fun day in the Sacramento area!! Alcatraz was a challenge, luckily GeoRockers had a newbie (Janis) with them that didn't have experience....she looked at it with a fresh pair of eyes and found it!!!

quote:
Originally posted by lborgens:

New cache placed today!

No you can't be the first! We just got back icon_wink.gif My GPS said the west coords were a bit different- just enough to make it a real hunt. As a backup try 120* 49.798. Thanks for the fun! The girls both enjoyed themselves- Boo picked a Minnie Mouse and Koala Bear out of her toy box to take as a trade. She told Minnie on the way there- "you are going to a treasure chest so a new kid could find you"- too sweet! Punkin left some tooth marks in the camera lol!

Yes, we do need more out that way- there are 2 or 3 out by Lake Alpine- we are hoping to cover some of the territory in between soon!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

New cache placed today!

No you can't be the first! We just got back icon_wink.gif My GPS said the west coords were a bit different- just enough to make it a real hunt. As a backup try 120* 49.798. Thanks for the fun! The girls both enjoyed themselves- Boo picked a Minnie Mouse and Koala Bear out of her toy box to take as a trade. She told Minnie on the way there- "you are going to a treasure chest so a new kid could find you"- too sweet! Punkin left some tooth marks in the camera lol!

Yes, we do need more out that way- there are 2 or 3 out by Lake Alpine- we are hoping to cover some of the territory in between soon!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Figured it would be a busy night looking for Darkness Falls and we were right! lol I met up with McIrish and her son, we ran into The 19th and his buddy Patrick, and then came across a newbie- the Murry (sp?) Clan. I enjoyed the group meet as much as the hunt. Looks like we just missed you Kimbo, Apollo & Dusty! Lots of fun Jose & Jen- THANKS!!

I can not remember the last time I stayed up until midnight playing spooky games in the park- must have been when I was 14? 15? And we will NOT go into how long ago that was LOLOL!!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest McIrish

me. eek.gif If your not in the Sacramento area...take the trip, this one is worth it. Thanks Jose and TrackerJen for a great night out with great people. I really enjoyed Mav (she is in need of geocaching therapy) hahahaha. The 19th and his nephew, Patrick were a delight and funny. The Murray Clan were great and we loved little Pepper!!!

Guest lborgens

quote:

We hid one this morning- still not approved so I thought I would give you all a heads up icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4699

This is a relaxing break compared to Darkness Falls lol! Enjoy~

========================

Mav,

Thanks for the great little trip... I took my kids and we found it tonight before dinner. This is my 1st time @ being the 1st person to a cache icon_smile.gif

You were the 1st to my "Darold's Tree" cache so now we're even?

- L. Borgens

[This message has been edited by lborgens (edited 25 July 2001).]

Guest lborgens

quote:

We hid one this morning- still not approved so I thought I would give you all a heads up icon_smile.gif

This is a relaxing break compared to Darkness Falls lol! Enjoy~

========================

Mav,

Thanks for the great little trip... I took my kids and we found it tonight before dinner. This is my 1st time @ being the 1st person to a cache icon_smile.gif

- L. Borgens

[This message has been edited by lborgens (edited 25 July 2001).]

quote:

========================

Mav,

- L. Borgens

B]

Glad you enjoyed- now go take that book out of Aaron's hands- not appropriate for him lol! I should have warned you this had more grown-up toys than kid so the kids wouldn't be disappointed. I am trying to get away from just the slinky's and plastic toys I had started with, trying to give the adults something more to look forward to icon_smile.gif. I forgot to write in the book that it started at Triple Digit Heat- but you might want to, sign your name after you read it and then leave it somewhere else. (Just an idea)

Yes, Darold's Tree was fun, except for the decaying carcus- ugh! Okay your turn to hide another lol!!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

========================

Mav,

- L. Borgens

B]

Glad you enjoyed- now go take that book out of Aaron's hands- not appropriate for him lol! I should have warned you this had more grown-up toys than kid so the kids wouldn't be disappointed. I am trying to get away from just the slinky's and plastic toys I had started with, trying to give the adults something more to look forward to icon_smile.gif. I forgot to write in the book that it started at Triple Digit Heat- but you might want to, sign your name after you read it and then leave it somewhere else. (Just an idea)

Yes, Darold's Tree was fun, except for the decaying carcus- ugh! Okay your turn to hide another lol!!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest lborgens

quote:

Mav,

I'll trade him something for the book right away. I didn't even look at it yet...

I wrote a funny little story about our cache hunt and posted to the triple digit heat page. You can see it at:

- LBorgens

Guest lborgens

quote:

Mav,

I'll trade him something for the book right away. I didn't even look at it yet...

I wrote a funny little story about our cache hunt and posted to the triple digit heat page. You can see it at:

- LBorgens

Guest kimbeattie

FOUR NEW CACHES! What am I going to do? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for caches Dusty & Apollo!

Got any ideas on how I can explain to my wife why I can't help out around the house, again, this weekend . . .?

Guest kimbeattie

FOUR NEW CACHES! What am I going to do? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for caches Dusty & Apollo!

Got any ideas on how I can explain to my wife why I can't help out around the house, again, this weekend . . .?

Guest DustySneakers

Heh! We hid them all in one day! And found 3 too! (I am not moving around well this morning, LOL.) You should be able to cache and still have a day for your wife. icon_smile.gif

Guest DustySneakers

Heh! We hid them all in one day! And found 3 too! (I am not moving around well this morning, LOL.) You should be able to cache and still have a day for your wife. icon_smile.gif

Guest apollo56

heck just take her kimbo, if she gives u any lip leave her there mark the spot with your gps and make her a cache lol.

apollo

Guest Ron Streeter

Just approved 27 caches...my contribution for this day. Unfortunately won't be able to do any cache hunting for awhile. My new school term begins Monday, and Tuesday 125 hormone intense teenagers will be in my charge ! Wish me luck...this is a journey !

Ron

Guest kimbeattie

Gee Ron, what happened to Summer meaning June, July and August? A new term starting in late July? Is this an all-year school thing or a summer school?

quote:
Originally posted by apollo56:

...if she gives u any lip leave her there mark the spot with your gps and make her a cache lol.

apollo

That's a bit offensive- maybe you should start writing for USA Today.com? Since when did we revert back to being our husband's property??

mav

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Just approved 27 caches...my contribution for this day. Unfortunately won't be able to do any cache hunting for awhile. My new school term begins Monday, and Tuesday 125 hormone intense teenagers will be in my charge ! Wish me luck...this is a journey !

Ron

125?? YIKES! Don't worry they will settle into the routine in a few weeks and you can get out there again icon_smile.gif Besides this will give me a chance to catch up to your found/placed/# of states stats lol!! Let's see I believe you list 4, do you think I could make it to Idaho and back in a weekend icon_wink.gif LOLOL!!

Enjoy the new school year!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Ron

125?? YIKES! Don't worry they will settle into the routine in a few weeks and you can get out there again icon_smile.gif Besides this will give me a chance to catch up to your found/placed/# of states stats lol!! Let's see I believe you list 4, do you think I could make it to Idaho and back in a weekend icon_wink.gif LOLOL!!

Enjoy the new school year!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by apollo56:

it was only a joke mav chillout.

apollo

I didn't say it wasn't a joke- only that is was offensive. There are many "jokes" that are offensive, the fact they are intended as humor doesn't necessarily make them okay. JMO.

Guest Ron Streeter

This post doesn't have anything to do with Sacramento area caching, but if you want to see a cool cache listing, look at this one from South Africa which I just approved (Saturday the 27th at 8 a.m.).

It takes a bit to get loaded on screen, but worth looking at. Scroll down below the first picture you see...the other pictures are fun to watch evolve. Just shows what you can do if you know html and have some other goodies too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4858&Nocache=0.7055475

Ron