Caching in/around Sacramento, CA

Guest kimbeattie

Guest Ron Streeter

To anyone following the thread in regard to the Smiley Face cache.

After corresponding with Apollo56 and DustySneakers in the later hours of Sunday the 15th on this forum and through more than half a dozen emails, I changed my "note" to a "couldn't find it" on the Smiley Face cache at 7:40 this morning (the 16th).

I wish the best of luck to the folks to seek this cache. As it is now described (and because of the discussion here)I feel it is a safer cache to hunt.

All my efforts were made with a view for a safer hunt for everyone.

Ron

Guest Kubuli

LOL with all the talk about "Smiley Face" I went back and add'd a "Caution, Dangerous Cache" note to all my caches in Crystal Basin. I would hate to see someone get to one of them and then have to be rescued because they could not find a way down, or get half way up and not be able to go up or down .......

Guest The 19th

back... Was this at the end of Horseshoe Bar?

I was oblivious to everything around me at the time because I was thinking how I wanted to go home, eat, shower, change. I didn't realize how much dust my nephew can kick up if he walks in front of me!

It was funny because on our way out, there was a guy wearing a backpack, looking like he was ready for a long walk, and he was fumbling with a gadget in his hands. I said, "Hello," but I didn't get a response. Then I realized that the gadget in question was a walkman probably turned up too loud and not a GPS receiver!

-------------

Addition: I found a pic of us at Granite Beek - after we already found Funny Bone, and the pic had a timestamp of 6:45 or so. So no, that wasn't us icon_frown.gif

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 16 July 2001).]

Guest The 19th

back... Was this at the end of Horseshoe Bar?

I was oblivious to everything around me at the time because I was thinking how I wanted to go home, eat, shower, change. I didn't realize how much dust my nephew can kick up if he walks in front of me!

It was funny because on our way out, there was a guy wearing a backpack, looking like he was ready for a long walk, and he was fumbling with a gadget in his hands. I said, "Hello," but I didn't get a response. Then I realized that the gadget in question was a walkman probably turned up too loud and not a GPS receiver!

-------------

Addition: I found a pic of us at Granite Beek - after we already found Funny Bone, and the pic had a timestamp of 6:45 or so. So no, that wasn't us icon_frown.gif

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 16 July 2001).]

Guest Ron Streeter

8:43 a.m. Monday the 16th of July.

Just received this email from Jeremy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hmm... Crossing railroad tracks is illegal, so if you wouldn't mind letting him know to please indicate in the description that you do not need to cross the tracks to reach the cache. However if you do have to cross the tracks, the cache should be removed.

Glad you and your girlfriend are ok.

Jeremy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As Apollo56 and DustySneakers have made a change in main body of their cache description and in their encrypted clue, this post ends my involvement with this cache.

Happy (and safe) caching to all Sacramento area cache hunters.

Ron

Guest Bob_and_Genny

quote:
Yikes! Looks like some folks were out late last night looking for caches. See the Granite Beak page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2523) for a picture of the trail at night.

I was at Funny Bone around 7:30 PM. I passed a couple of people on the trail on my way in. They were heading back to a dark colored SUV (Jeep?) and I think one of the hikers had a camera bag on one shoulder? I had a hiking stick in one hand, my GPS in the other and wearing a green T-shirt that said "XYZZY!" on the front. Did I cross paths with anyone here?

Yup! That was us. We went to Granite Beek on our way back and took a bit longer than expected to find the cache icon_smile.gif That tail can look kind of spooky at night.

We were wondering if that was you when we read the on-line log that said you were out there checking it.

If we'd only learn to stay on the trail it probably wouldn't take quite so long for us to find them. (and we wouldn't have to spend so much time picking out stickers from our pants and socks!) We wanted to try and find the secret cache too but it was a little too dark.

We planted a cache on Saturday but it hasn't been "approved" yet. Looks like a lot of new ones are popping up each weekend to keep us all busy!

Bob (1/2 of the Trickster and Red Rover team)

Guest Bob_and_Genny

quote:
Yikes! Looks like some folks were out late last night looking for caches. See the Granite Beak page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2523) for a picture of the trail at night.

I was at Funny Bone around 7:30 PM. I passed a couple of people on the trail on my way in. They were heading back to a dark colored SUV (Jeep?) and I think one of the hikers had a camera bag on one shoulder? I had a hiking stick in one hand, my GPS in the other and wearing a green T-shirt that said "XYZZY!" on the front. Did I cross paths with anyone here?

Yup! That was us. We went to Granite Beek on our way back and took a bit longer than expected to find the cache icon_smile.gif That tail can look kind of spooky at night.

We were wondering if that was you when we read the on-line log that said you were out there checking it.

If we'd only learn to stay on the trail it probably wouldn't take quite so long for us to find them. (and we wouldn't have to spend so much time picking out stickers from our pants and socks!) We wanted to try and find the secret cache too but it was a little too dark.

We planted a cache on Saturday but it hasn't been "approved" yet. Looks like a lot of new ones are popping up each weekend to keep us all busy!

Guest McIrish

Bob (1/2 of the Trickster and Red Rover team)[/b]

I planted one on Friday and it hasn't been approved yet either.... The one we planted Saturday has. Anyone have any clue why? I have sent emails asking why....but no response.

Happay geocaching!!!!

The one I registered on Sunday morning (yesterday) was approved that same evening. Would location/rating have something to do with it?

Jose

Guest McIrish

I don't think so Jose. This one is very much like Avery's Pond that I logged in on Saturday. Avery's Pond was also approved the same day. Sterling Driftwood has been sitting since Friday afternoon. Both are two and a half...and both are located at Folsom Lake. I don't know why it is just sitting. I hope they approve it soon, it is a nice cache for people to look for and a fun hike. Happy Geocaching!

Guest Ron Streeter

Cache approvals..

Cache Ninja in New York who used to do cache approvals for Jeremy has tipped me off to a number of caches that seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle. I have just gone through about 15 of them (and approved them) and there are still some to go.

I have emailed Jeremy about this and hopefully the additional ones will be approved and any snags will get straightened out.

It has nothing to do with difficulty or anything like that. More than likely zeros and ones getting lost in cyberspace..or human error(s).

Ron

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Cache approvals..

Cache Ninja in New York who used to do cache approvals for Jeremy has tipped me off to a number of caches that seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle. I have just gone through about 15 of them (and approved them) and there are still some to go.

I have emailed Jeremy about this and hopefully the additional ones will be approved and any snags will get straightened out.

It has nothing to do with difficulty or anything like that. More than likely zeros and ones getting lost in cyberspace..or human error(s).

Ron

Thank you Ron!!! It was approved today. I appreciate you checking it out. It is a pretty hike and am happy others can see it now too. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest McIrish

quote:

Cache approvals..

Ron

Thank you Ron!!! It was approved today. I appreciate you checking it out. It is a pretty hike and am happy others can see it now too. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest kimbeattie

/font>

Originally posted by Kubuli:

Hi

Better be carefull with that xyzzy you will end up back in the well house, are you a gamer????? did you play the original Adventure and Zork ?????

Finally! Someone who "gets" the "XYZZY" reference! I must be dating myself, but no one around work (and I work with a bunch of IS folks) got the reference. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I played Adventure (back when it was a mainframe game and I don't remember much except the magic word) and Zork.

Text Adventures (aka Interactive Fiction or IF) are still alive and well. There is a small but thriving community of IF authors on the Internet. In fact, I've been leaving a CD-ROM of Text Adventures in caches I've been placing or finding. It holds all of the IF games entered into the Year 2000 Interactive Fiction Competition. (Yep, there's been a yearly competition since 1996 or 1997.)

Guest kimbeattie

/font>

Originally posted by Kubuli:

Hi

Better be carefull with that xyzzy you will end up back in the well house, are you a gamer????? did you play the original Adventure and Zork ?????

Finally! Someone who "gets" the "XYZZY" reference! I must be dating myself, but no one around work (and I work with a bunch of IS folks) got the reference. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I played Adventure (back when it was a mainframe game and I don't remember much except the magic word) and Zork.

Text Adventures (aka Interactive Fiction or IF) are still alive and well. There is a small but thriving community of IF authors on the Internet. In fact, I've been leaving a CD-ROM of Text Adventures in caches I've been placing or finding. It holds all of the IF games entered into the Year 2000 Interactive Fiction Competition. (Yep, there's been a yearly competition since 1996 or 1997.)

Guest kimbeattie

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_and_Genny:

After reading the log, I thought that might have been you.

Nice to almost have met you! icon_smile.gif

Guest kimbeattie

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_and_Genny:

After reading the log, I thought that might have been you.

Guest kimbeattie

WOW! icon_biggrin.gif

Look at all the new caches! I count at least six within 20 miles of my zip code and another four to six in the 20 - 50 mile zone. That's awesome! I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Thanks for the caches! The Sacramento "Zoom-In" box on Buxley's maps is getting awfully crowded! I'd have to say that Sacramento area is "cache-ful" now.

Thanks again and keep them coming!

Guest kimbeattie

WOW! icon_biggrin.gif

Look at all the new caches! I count at least six within 20 miles of my zip code and another four to six in the 20 - 50 mile zone. That's awesome! I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Thanks for the caches! The Sacramento "Zoom-In" box on Buxley's maps is getting awfully crowded! I'd have to say that Sacramento area is "cache-ful" now.

Thanks again and keep them coming!

Guest The 19th

haha! With all these new caches to keep everyone busy, I don't think any of us will be travelling far for hunting! Looks like the out-of-town caches will have to wait yet again... cool.gif

Guest Bob_and_Genny

quote:

Originaly posted by kimbeattie:

Next time we'll have to stop and chat!

Bob

Guest Bob_and_Genny

quote:

Originaly posted by kimbeattie:

Next time we'll have to stop and chat!

Bob

Guest DustySneakers
icon_wink.gifHeh Mav! We found Mariah today ! Took the yukky stuff out and put some nice clean stuff in. Also left a little troll to gaurd against looters. LOL
Guest DustySneakers
icon_wink.gifHeh Mav! We found Mariah today ! Took the yukky stuff out and put some nice clean stuff in. Also left a little troll to gaurd against looters. LOL
Guest Ron Streeter

Hey there Sacramentans....bagged three of yours today, but on a more important note, see this link...Jeremy has added a neat new feature.

If you like a cacher's work, you can now be sitting on one of his/her cache pages, click on the link toward the bottom left and you will see the OTHER caches that person has hidden.

It also shows you HOW MANY of that cachers caches you have found.

This is COOL !

ron

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000242.html

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 18 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

quote:

Hey there Sacramentans....bagged three of yours today, but on a more important note, see this link...Jeremy has added a neat new feature.

Yes, this is cool! I just noticed this new feature last night. Very cool!

quote:
Originally posted by DustySneakers:

Thanks Dusty! I really appreciate that. Loved the reference to the 'other kind of cig' lol!

Wow you all have been so busy while I have been away. I can't wait to get back out there.

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by DustySneakers:

Thanks Dusty! I really appreciate that. Loved the reference to the 'other kind of cig' lol!

Wow you all have been so busy while I have been away. I can't wait to get back out there.

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

...If you like a cacher's work, you can now be sitting on one of his/her cache pages, click on the link toward the bottom left and you will see the OTHER caches that person has hidden.

This is COOL !

ron...

That IS great! I was hoping the site would evolve like this... What an awesome feature icon_smile.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

...If you like a cacher's work, you can now be sitting on one of his/her cache pages, click on the link toward the bottom left and you will see the OTHER caches that person has hidden.

This is COOL !

ron...

That IS great! I was hoping the site would evolve like this... What an awesome feature icon_smile.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest Ron Streeter

Eureka !

Got the official geocaching.com hat in the ups delivery today.

A bit pricey at roughly $25 with shipping, but looks great. Got the "stone" colored one which is a tan. Logo looks great, 2.5 inches square.

Wearing this, fellow cachers will be able to spot you in a minute....no more strange looks when you ask someone if they're using a gps that day !

Ron

Guest McIrish

I would like to post just a quick note and say "California geocachers rock" hahaha. I went out today to maintenance one of my caches that had been visited pretty heavily. Didn't need to add anything (but I did anyhow). My cache was in great shape and full of new stuff. Thanks to all who keep this sport fun and make it easy on maintaining caches!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest McIrish

I would like to post just a quick note and say "California geocachers rock" hahaha. I went out today to maintenance one of my caches that had been visited pretty heavily. Didn't need to add anything (but I did anyhow). My cache was in great shape and full of new stuff. Thanks to all who keep this sport fun and make it easy on maintaining caches!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest The 19th

Re: Geocaching Hat - (edited) I also ordered a stone colored one, and it arrived today as well. It's very well done, the stitching looks like it's of very high quality. I re-checked the site, and there is a picture of the stone colored hat on the page now.

McIrish, which cache did you "maintain"? Halflife is still waiting to resurface from the toxic disposal. icon_smile.gif I think that it's in a very nice park - though the mystery of who could have taken the ammo can, then the entire contents is very strange. Other than that, my nephew got a kick out of seeing some of the animals they had there, llamas, emus (he thinks) and kangaroos, oh my!

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 19 July 2001).]

Guest The 19th

Re: Geocaching Hat - (edited) I also ordered a stone colored one, and it arrived today as well. It's very well done, the stitching looks like it's of very high quality. I re-checked the site, and there is a picture of the stone colored hat on the page now.

McIrish, which cache did you "maintain"? Halflife is still waiting to resurface from the toxic disposal. icon_smile.gif I think that it's in a very nice park - though the mystery of who could have taken the ammo can, then the entire contents is very strange. Other than that, my nephew got a kick out of seeing some of the animals they had there, llamas, emus (he thinks) and kangaroos, oh my!

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 19 July 2001).]

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

Re: Geocaching Hat - I've been checking my UPS tracking number, and it says that my hat had been delivered as well. I'm just stuck at work! icon_frown.gif I'm kind of anxious to see what color it really is since jeremy hasn't posted a stone colored pic on the site yet.

The 19th that is an odd one. Maybe nuclear disintegration??? I have read on the boards that ammo cans do have a way of disappearing from time to time. But why in the world would the contents disappear later?? (Didn't hear about that) I thought it had been archived after the ammo box vanished. I still think in general the geocachers in the area are very respectful of the sport.

Guest McIrish

quote:

Re: Geocaching Hat - I've been checking my UPS tracking number, and it says that my hat had been delivered as well. I'm just stuck at work! icon_frown.gif I'm kind of anxious to see what color it really is since jeremy hasn't posted a stone colored pic on the site yet.

The 19th that is an odd one. Maybe nuclear disintegration??? I have read on the boards that ammo cans do have a way of disappearing from time to time. But why in the world would the contents disappear later?? (Didn't hear about that) I thought it had been archived after the ammo box vanished. I still think in general the geocachers in the area are very respectful of the sport.

Guest Ron Streeter

19th....

The "stone" colored hat is a TAN color.

My understanding on the missing MAV cache was that the person who found it said the ammo can was gone but the contents were in a plastic bag. At that point MAV just archived it until she could get to it and check it out.

Looking forward to running into some Sacto geoachers wearing the new hats, but may not be up there for a while. Pressing matters at home.

Ron

Guest The 19th

Yeah, I got home and found the box on the front step. I knew the stone hat was the tan one - I'm not too much a fan of orange or green - but not knowing how it looked in comparison was killing me with curiousity as it was not in the original picture that jeremy posted.

-------

My bad. I was terribly confused!

You are right. mav & crew did place and archive Half Life (I had to check the waypoint on my GPSr - which was at home), not the McIrish clan.

And I did go there on my own, knowing that I may not be able to find it, but when we were there, there was no trace of a plastic bag at all, but lots of recently trampled growth. Park staffers may have cleaned up. confused.gif

quote:

...And I did go there on my own, knowing that I may not be able to find it, but when we were there, there was no trace of a plastic bag at all, but lots of recently trampled growth. Park staffers may have cleaned up. icon_wink.gif

Hope the boys enjoyed the park though! Take care.

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:

...And I did go there on my own, knowing that I may not be able to find it, but when we were there, there was no trace of a plastic bag at all, but lots of recently trampled growth. Park staffers may have cleaned up. icon_wink.gif

Hope the boys enjoyed the park though! Take care.

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest PneumaticDeath

My hat arrived today as well. I got the green, and think it looks quite nice. Very good quality, and it arived with lightning speed.

-- Mitch

Guest kimbeattie

and eTrex.

For Geocaching purposes, that last digit is probably not all that significant.

I'm not recommending the Magellan 310 (assuming that is the model on sale) as I prefer the eTrex or Magellan 315 (with the extra digit of accuracy), but the 310 is likely just fine for Geocaching and for all you get (cable and CD), this seems like a pretty good price.

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 20 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 20 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

Hey! It turns out that the GPS on sale at Fry's Electronics is the Magallen 315! This is the 315X package which includes the data cable and DataSend software and the regular price is $179. So a price of $109 is really good deal!

Guest The 19th

I'm sitting here reading some of the logs of the caches - it's great how the first foam Earth ball I placed in the American Kids Cache is making it's rounds. I noticed that it was part of the original contents of mav's Fallen Log cache and taken by stingo. There have been logs on other caches of a foam globe that have been traded too, and I just have to wonder if it's the same one. icon_smile.gif

Guest The 19th

I'm sitting here reading some of the logs of the caches - it's great how the first foam Earth ball I placed in the American Kids Cache is making it's rounds. I noticed that it was part of the original contents of mav's Fallen Log cache and taken by stingo. There have been logs on other caches of a foam globe that have been traded too, and I just have to wonder if it's the same one. icon_smile.gif

Hi all! Had a lot of fun yesterday- was first at Mother Lode Miracle, and have been in touch with it's placer spue. Another fun, just difficult enough, cache in a pretty location! Nice guy too- it was his first placed cache- hopefully he does more icon_smile.gif Also made it to Almost Cool (nice view) by Dusty & Apollo, and No Stickers in My Socks (GREAT hiding spot!) by techtreker.

I noticed they have placed events on the home page- front & center- is anyone interested in a cachers picnic? I was poking around- seems Santa Cruz area had a fun one earlier this summer. If we have enough interest we could do it at a park somewhere in Sacto and invite everyone around us. It's just a thought- let me know! I don't mind planning & organizing it if it's what everyone wants icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great rest of your weekend!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Hi all! Had a lot of fun yesterday- was first at Mother Lode Miracle, and have been in touch with it's placer spue. Another fun, just difficult enough, cache in a pretty location! Nice guy too- it was his first placed cache- hopefully he does more icon_smile.gif Also made it to Almost Cool (nice view) by Dusty & Apollo, and No Stickers in My Socks (GREAT hiding spot!) by techtreker.

I noticed they have placed events on the home page- front & center- is anyone interested in a cachers picnic? I was poking around- seems Santa Cruz area had a fun one earlier this summer. If we have enough interest we could do it at a park somewhere in Sacto and invite everyone around us. It's just a thought- let me know! I don't mind planning & organizing it if it's what everyone wants icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great rest of your weekend!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest kimbeattie

I've been waiting for someone to suggest a Sacramento Area Geocachers picnic/get together . . . I didn't suggest it, because I didn't want to be the one responsible for organizing the event. icon_smile.gif I'm all for the idea! (And I'm not known for attending social events like work Xmas parties, staff picnics, etc. Too shy, you know . . .) But I figure I'd have at least one thing in common with everyone at the Geocachers picnic! Besides, it would be neat to meet everyone fact to face. Count me in!