Caching in/around Sacramento, CA

Guest kimbeattie

Guest Kubuli

I have both so I tend to forget about the fee ..... But, all my cache's in the high country are free, except for the topo map which is $6 icon_frown.gif I can remember when it was 50 cents and I thought that was way to much ...... I think I will move troll's bane and put in some new one's I still have a few spots I have not used along the river icon_smile.gifand I have a place in mind up around Georgetown for a cache, not a real hard one, sort of a walk in the sun icon_smile.gif

Guest Ron Streeter

Hey cachers...got this nice note from Ray and thought I would show my reply here as I think it applies to all our caching efforts. I welcome other people's opinions on the subject discussed here, and if it's off thread, let me know and I'll delete it.

Hi Ron,

I see you made it to the BBQ Walnut cache. You seem to be one of the

GeoCache experts. How do you like your Magellan GPS 315? I just started

this GPS stuff a week ago and could use some tips. I've noticed that 3

times the cache was located before I got to zero on my unit. Any tips? Have

you ever found a cache that had a location of zero? I noticed your Blue

Briefcase Cache read 42ft on my GPS.

my response....

Hi Ray...

Thanks for the compliment, but trust me I've had my share of difficulties.

One thing I've found is that you should trust the gps...up to a point. That point, I feel, is about 50 feet. After that the cache is up to you. The fact is that two variable factors come immediately into play. The first is the readings taken by the cache hider. If they are off a bit, it will only be compounded when the cache seeker comes on the scene. The two people's gps devices are getting readings from different sats at the two different times.

If you want to pursue this issue, do this. Go to the middle of your front yard (or some spot) and take a reading...mark it as "home" or some such. You of course know exactly where you were standing when you took this reading and marked it. Now turn off the gps. Walk a few blocks away and then turn it on and punch the goto button. Follow your gps to your home. Walk at a moderate pace...especially when nearing your home. Watch the countdown on the gps. I have done this a number of times and I can be standing in "x marks the spot" and the gps will show I have 50 feet to go...or 20 feet to go, etc. Do it a few times and you will get different readings each time.

You can imagine this applies in the wild as well, with the only difference being you don't know where "x" is.

After finding a cache...with perhaps the gps showing 15 feet to go (or any figure), I have left it turned on, sitting on the cache, and over a period of time IT MIGHT come down to a few feet, or it may stay at 15 feet.

All of the above is why I believe the final 50 feet (or 30, or 22 or whatever) is up to the cache hunter. At American Kids Cache I had a reading of 3 feet and a terrain description that said I was right on top of it. Guess what...it was about 25 feet away. Same thing happened at Pepper's Blackberry. GPS said 20 feet to go; I looked down and there it was.

Hope these examples and suggestions give you a clue has to how I have done it.

Continue to enjoy the sport...there's always something new to learn and the exercise and outdoor envirornment is equally important as the hunt and the find...this seems to be a leading reason for doing geocaching...I know it is for me.

Ron

Guest saxman

Kim,

Count me in also. I've been caching for less than a week and found 3 out of 4. I'll be placing some caches around the ELk Grove / Laguna area where I live soon. I saw your article in the Bee. Nice story!

Ray Iaea AKA Saxman

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by saxman:

I'll be placing some caches around the ELk Grove / Laguna area where I live soon.

Woohoo! It's good to see some more people from the Southern Sacramento areas around here!

Well, it's 5:18 here, and I'm still at work. I still won't make it to Halflife tonight. icon_frown.gif

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by saxman:

I'll be placing some caches around the ELk Grove / Laguna area where I live soon.

Woohoo! It's good to see some more people from the Southern Sacramento areas around here!

Well, it's 5:18 here, and I'm still at work. I still won't make it to Halflife tonight. icon_frown.gif

Guest Kubuli

Moved troll's bane tonight ..... lol there was a free way into and out of there ...... should have done it sooner but was busy up in Crystal Basin puttin caches in icon_smile.gif

Guest Kubuli

Moved troll's bane tonight ..... lol there was a free way into and out of there ...... should have done it sooner but was busy up in Crystal Basin puttin caches in icon_smile.gif

Guest Ron Streeter

Kubuli...I would guess you are talking about the free access which is near the Pepper's cache. Someone who knows the area could save a few bucks, though I didn't mind the walking I did to all three caches and was glad of the water source at the park when I was done.

BTW, my comments about letting people know about the park fees was not a matter of saving money necessarily, (though that is nice) but rather just being aware that it might be an element of the hunt.

regards....ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 13 July 2001).]

Guest The 19th

If you all didn't see the Fry's section in today's Bee, they're selling the Magellan 310 GPS receiver for 69.99... Well, the picture shows the 310 anyway. I'm thinking of getting this for my nephews.

Guest kimbeattie

While Ron was riding the waves (Amazing! I would never have considered asking some strangers to give me lift. Great idea and it sounds like they had fun, but I'm just to shy to do something like that!), I was going after the Vaca cache. After getting that one, I headed over to Mariah Cache, but couldn't find it. After seeing Mav's new hint, I think I had a bad case of tunnel vision.

I was going to place another cache today, but decided to go out to dinner with my wife instead. There's always tomorrow or Sunday . . .

More caching tomorrow! "Cache you later!"

Kimbo

6H/20F

Guest kimbeattie

So Kubuli, are you going to simply update the coordinates for Troll's Bane or are you going to "retire" Troll's Bane, move the cache and rename it? Inquiring cache counters want to know! (LOL!) icon_biggrin.gif

Guest kimbeattie

So Kubuli, are you going to simply update the coordinates for Troll's Bane or are you going to "retire" Troll's Bane, move the cache and rename it? Inquiring cache counters want to know! (LOL!) icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Kubuli

I moved it last night (7/13/01) I moved it away from the tree at the request of the trolls ......... I want to put one or two more in south east of there .... there is a whole area out there that is not used by anyone except the homeless .......

Guest Ron Streeter

Apollo56....

Bring it on big guy ! I'm up for a challenge, though sometimes the initial drive, time available, etc gets in the way...hey what the heck, you only live once....bring it on !

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 14 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

Well, twists can be interesting, but I don't believe every cache should be difficult to find. There's nothing wrong with easy to moderate difficulty caches! icon_smile.gif

Guest kimbeattie

Well, twists can be interesting, but I don't believe every cache should be difficult to find. There's nothing wrong with easy to moderate difficulty caches! icon_smile.gif

Guest kimbeattie

Not too happy with the Mag 315 after today's outing. The biggest problem I have had with the Mag 315 is that it doesn't seem to update the GOTO display as often as I believe (based on my experience with the eTrex) it should.

For example, The direction of the cache is straight ahead. I have the position arrow and the GOTO arrow lined up. Now, if I turn around (180 degrees) and walk away from the cache, the unit often will not update for as long as a minute and over 100 feet. Is this a problem with just my unit, or do other Mag 315 owners notice this type of behavior?

The above is just an example pulled out of thin air, but it does describe the situations I have encountered. The eTrex on the other hand, seems to update very often, seeming to be very sensitive to position.

What I should do is find someone in the Sacramento area with a Mag 315 and go out with them to see how their unit behaves as compared to mine.

Guest Ron Streeter

Kim...

I think your 315 is OK. Mine does the same thing. Have to get moving again for it to read where you are, and sometimes it takes a bit to get going again.

One thing that can help you around this a bit is the sun/moon feature. When it is turned on, all you have to do is align the icon (sun) with the actual sun and the arrow will point in the direction you should be going. I think this is right...seems to work for me. I know I use this feature when the gps doesn't seem to be tracking sats. I think it is holding the last "walking" direction it knew.

Also, I think when you are standing still, is the time it will start "averaging". I don't think it does that when you are walking.

And finally, and maybe most important of all, I see a lot of posts by people who have more than one gps, sometimes same brand different model, sometimes different brands and when they do comparisons, they invariably find one a little better than the other IN SOME REGARD, but NOT IN ANOTHER REGARD.

Years ago I used to compare my color TV or my stereo to other people's (maybe a natural thing to do, I don't know), but when it makes one go out and buy, buy, buy I think it can be a bad thing. Computer technology is another thing...you can never stay current, and unless you have bucks to spread around, you can't get a new and improved computer (or gps every 6 to 12 months).

Also, look at all the caches you have found with whatever you are using at the moment or in the past. There have only been 2 out of 34 I looked for that I couldn't find, and it didn't have anything to do with the gps. They were both well-hidden. One I just gave up on....Blister City....even though others before and after me found it.

All of the above...in my humble opinion.

Ron

Guest kimbeattie

day. While the GOTO arrow wasn't updating as often as I might like, the Bearing reading seemed to match that on the eTrex (off by maybe a degree). So the unit apparently knew where it was and where I wanted to go, but just doesn't update the GOTO display as often as (I think) it should. Time to get out the compass!

Well, I won't throw the Mag 315 into river just yet. icon_smile.gif I'll take a while to to get used to its idiosyncrasies before I make any final decisions.

Thanks for the comments!

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 14 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

day. While the GOTO arrow wasn't updating as often as I might like, the Bearing reading seemed to match that on the eTrex (off by maybe a degree). So the unit apparently knew where it was and where I wanted to go, but just doesn't update the GOTO display as often as (I think) it should. Time to get out the compass!

Well, I won't throw the Mag 315 into river just yet. icon_smile.gif I'll take a while to to get used to its idiosyncrasies before I make any final decisions.

Thanks for the comments!

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 14 July 2001).]

Guest DustySneakers

OK Ron! Apollo hid one tonight that is right up your alley. Should show up on list by tomorrow. We actually hid two this evening but have to check back on one of them before posting it. Only about 50 minutes from Stockton!

Guest The 19th

Good Job everyone! There's a whole slew of new caches all over the place! icon_biggrin.gif Kubuli's 4.5/4.5 ones scare me though, looks like something I'd have to camp out to find. eek.gif

It's funny because I'm trying to clear the Folsom area before heading south, but at this rate, I'm thinking I should find a place by the lake! lol!

Guest The 19th

Good Job everyone! There's a whole slew of new caches all over the place! icon_biggrin.gif Kubuli's 4.5/4.5 ones scare me though, looks like something I'd have to camp out to find. eek.gif

It's funny because I'm trying to clear the Folsom area before heading south, but at this rate, I'm thinking I should find a place by the lake! lol!

Guest Kubuli

Hi EveryOne

Whats this about scarein people

quote:
Good Job everyone! There's a whole slew of new caches all over the place! Kubuli's 4.5/4.5 ones scare me though, looks like something I'd have to camp out to find.

except for Waitu's Dance in the Sky none of the rest would require and overnight stay ... Sun Rock would give you a good start .... the sat photo's are free, the Crystal Basin Topo map only cost 6.00 or 6.50 depending on where you get it. give it a try .......

Guest kimbeattie

Seventeen caches in/around Sacramento! Woo Hoo! See Buxley's Maps for a visual.

Compared to just two months ago, the area is spilling over with caches!

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest McIrish

I hid two this weekend in our area Kimbo. The one we hid yesterday is already approved and waiting for ya....the other I logged in on Friday and is yet to be approved. What is up with that??? Happy caching!!!

Guest Ron Streeter

To all Sacramento area cache seekers...5:50 pm Sunday the 15th of July.

I have just come from a very frightening experience at the new Smiley Face cache. I have emailed Apollo56 and Dusty Sneakers about this and await their reply.

This is a totally serious post. I recommend against going to this cache site until I have heard from them and they can confirm or deny the cache location.

As one of the people authorized by Jeremy to approve or disapprove a cache location, I will make a decision AFTER I hear from them.

Even if I am wrong about the cache location, a danger disclaimer may have to be added to this cache.

Ron

Guest Ron Streeter

In regard to Smiley Face cache...I forgot to add. If any other cachers looked for this cache on Sunday the 15th, please email me directly about your experience/feelings about this cache. I notice 4 people are watching the cache, leading me to believe that at least a couple may have looked for it.

Ron

rjsmovie@aol.com

Guest apollo56

i might need to upgrade this to a 4 nothing more, it is in a safe location just a little tricky is all.u have to use your head and don`t take any chances. not all caches r gonna be easy i put a cash reward in this for the first one who finds it. next time pay your train fair lol. didn`t u say bring it on lol

apollo

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by apollo56:

i might need to upgrade this to a 4 nothing more, it is in a safe location just a little tricky is all.u have to use your head and don`t take any chances. not all caches r gonna be easy i put a cash reward in this for the first one who finds it. next time pay your train fair lol. didn`t u say bring it on lol

apollo

Now thats the spirit! :~) If I didn't have work tomorrow, I'd drive up from Santa Cruz to see what all the fuss is about.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest kimbeattie

quote:
Originally posted by Jose:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to caching here... 5 discovered so far, and I just placed one today! Hasn't been approved yet though.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4294

I'm slightly worried that it may be found my mistake and looted. Has this happened often?

Jose

"Movie Magic" looks interesting Jose. I can't wait to give it a try. I'll probably have to wait until next weekend to give it a shot. Darn work!

Maybe I should retire and spend all of my liesure time Geocaching! Yeah, that's the ticket! Buy an RV and drive around the country (and Canada!) searching for Geocaches. Wouldn't that just be the life?

Don't know about your cache getting looted. I don't think it happens too often (Mav's caches being the exception!) It depends on where you put it of course, how much foot traffic the area gets and and how visible the cache is to passers-by. I was afraid Deep Dark Secret wouldn't last too long, but it's in an interesting place and seekers have good about not drawing attention to it. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Kimbo

Guest kimbeattie

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I hid two this weekend in our area Kimbo. The one we hid yesterday is already approved and waiting for ya....the other I logged in on Friday and is yet to be approved. What is up with that??? Happy caching!!!

I got to Avery's Pond today. Still haven't seen your second cache appear yet. All of my caches were approved in a couple of hours at most. If you haven't been contacted by anyone about your cache, it might have slipped through the cracks. Email somebody at Geocaching.com or simply post it again.

Thanks for Avery's Pond. It was a nice hike and a pretty pond.

Guest Ron Streeter

Apollo56...

I regret the attitude you are taking here when all I am trying to do is insure the safety of all cachers who might attempt to find your cache. As you have chosen as of 10:42 pm on Sunday evening to not answer my questions regarding this cache, you don't leave me much choice.

I will wait a little while longer to hear from you regarding this issue, then I will describe my experience to Jeremy and let him make the final decision about whether to pull this cache or not.

As regards your comment that some are going to be tough, I have no argument with that, but when there is a possibility that people can be misled and can look in a potentially lethal spot, something has to be done.

I await your clear and accurate description to me in an email of the cache's location so that I may email you back with possible suggestions on how you might post additional clues to safeguard anyone from harm.

I know I would feel horrible if someone came to grief because of something I did (or failed to do) to insure their safety.

I have no interest in going back to the site to find the cache. I am ONLY interested in safeguarding future cache hunters.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest apollo56

i told u to put me on your buddy list and we can talk. i emailed u and told u where it is at.u put your self in danger cause u didn`t use your head not me ty

apollo

Guest Ron Streeter

Ty (Apollo56)...

I have responded to your emails. Yes, I put myself in danger. In my emails to you I indicate there is the possibility others might do the same. This issue will get resolved one way or the other. I am not trying to be a bad guy or place blame. I am simply looking to the possibility that someone else might make the same mistake I did..other people "might not use their heads" too, or they might think you truly were making a very difficult cache. Please be open to suggestions.

Thanks...Ron

Guest Ron Streeter

11:18 PM Sunday the 15th.

I have finished my email communications with Apollo56 and though he told me where the cache is located, he is not open to the suggestion that others might make the same mistake I did.

Basically, he said "... u couldn't find my cache, tough. You put yourself in danger, I didn't."

Because I believe others might put themselves in danger too, I suggested some possible ways Apollo56 might steer people away from danger, but his attitude is "..u gotta use your head." Accordingly, I will email Jeremy tonight and tell him of my experience with this cache. I will abide by whatever decision he makes as regards letting the cache description stand as it is, making changes in the cache description or archiving the cache.

At this point, I absolve myself of any danger anyone might incur from pursuing this cache.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest apollo56

i`m sorry for any problems i might have causes with the smiley cache. once again there is no need to put yourself in danger. i`m only trying to make things fun is all.he is a CLUE U DO NOT NEED TO WALK ACROSS RAILROAD TRACKS TO FIND THIS CACHE.

APOLLO

Guest apollo56

u really need to lighten up Ron. i never said tough.and i`m sorry if u took it that way.

Apollo

PS i asked for u to put me on your buddy list so we could chat about this.

Guest DustySneakers

Last week, Ron, you logged a find, that you found by "hitchin a ride".{ And I do know that I did not spell hitching correctly.} Look at the map on the cache page. It looks like the cache is in the middle of the river. We are not sadists!!!! I am truly sorry if I led you to a dangerous spot. That was never my intention.

Thinking outside the box,(GPS is like a little box).If it reads that you are right on top of something,do you consider altitude?

Guest Ron Streeter

While the Smiley Cache issue is close to being resolved (it is now in Jeremy's hands and I will happily abide by his decision one way or the other) I must say I feel compelled to post here one of the emails sent to me by Apollo56 as he questions that I quoted him incorrectly. I will let forum readers decide if that is the case.

i think maybe u should be running the geocache in sacramento u seem so smart. i never would of gone on the tracks if i heard or saw a train coming.u said bring it on and i did and u don`t like it well tough. your ego made u run up here to find it and u failed i`m sorry for the scare.

apollo

Anyone who knows me from meeting me on the trail knows that I am the first to admit my mistakes and I've made plenty of them. This was one of my biggest and I learned from it and was trying to protect anyone else from making the same mistake I did. The several changes that Apollo56 and Dusty have made should do that, but again, Jeremy can take a look at it. If Jeremy calls me an idiot, I can live with that, but I don't quote people incorrectly, or out of context.

And I while I was stupid enough to go on a railroad bridge, I did not do so WHILE a train was coming down the track. The train came after my girlfriend and I were out there. For all I knew the rail line was out of service. It was only when they started coming one after the other that reality set in.

Ron

Guest apollo56

yikes i guess i did say tough i`m sorry anyway thanks for the attention the smiley cache has recieved, hope it`s not to easy to find now.i`ll have some harder ones in the near future. i bet there will be some people looking for it now.

apollo

Guest kimbeattie

Yikes! Looks like some folks were out late last night looking for caches. See the Granite Beak page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2523) for a picture of the trail at night.

I was at Funny Bone around 7:30 PM. I passed a couple of people on the trail on my way in. They were heading back to a dark colored SUV (Jeep?) and I think one of the hikers had a camera bag on one shoulder? I had a hiking stick in one hand, my GPS in the other and wearing a green T-shirt that said "XYZZY!" on the front. Did I cross paths with anyone here?

Lots of "hits" on my caches this weekend. I guess the weather was just about perfect for Geocaching. I also was active this weekend, being out everyday since thursday looking for caches. Whew. I need to get back to work so I can relax! icon_smile.gif

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Guest kimbeattie

Yikes! Looks like some folks were out late last night looking for caches. See the Granite Beak page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2523) for a picture of the trail at night.

I was at Funny Bone around 7:30 PM. I passed a couple of people on the trail on my way in. They were heading back to a dark colored SUV (Jeep?) and I think one of the hikers had a camera bag on one shoulder? I had a hiking stick in one hand, my GPS in the other and wearing a green T-shirt that said "XYZZY!" on the front. Did I cross paths with anyone here?

Lots of "hits" on my caches this weekend. I guess the weather was just about perfect for Geocaching. I also was active this weekend, being out everyday since thursday looking for caches. Whew. I need to get back to work so I can relax! icon_smile.gif

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Guest Kubuli

Hi

Better be carefull with that xyzzy you will end up back in the well house, are you a gamer????? did you play the original Adventure and Zork ?????

quote:
my GPS in the other and wearing a green T-shirt that said "XYZZY!" on the front. Did I cross paths with anyone here?

[This message has been edited by Kubuli (edited 16 July 2001).]