Caching in/around Sacramento, CA

Guest kimbeattie

Guest kimbeattie

Looking to start a conversation among Sacramento area cachers here. Any Sacramento area cachers watching/reading these forums? I've been trying to seed the Sacramento area (arbitrarily defined as within twenty miles of zip code 95621) with some success. I've placed five caches since May and know of two other caches that have been placed in this area as well. Just wondering how many other cachers there are in the area?

Guest Ron Streeter

Hi Kim...

Count me in...Stockton is 45 miles from you and I have found one of yours so far. I'll get up that way again soon.

Ron

Guest spaceykingsfan

i live in sacramento! I've never tried geocaching & i really want to. It would be great to start something like that in sacramento

Guest Kubuli

Hello

I just found my first GeoCache on the American River today and I will be putting one out on wen. the 27th

------------------

Kubuli & Waitu the Terv

Hi Kim!

Great article in the Bee. I sent you an email this morning- just wanted to let you know you convinced me icon_biggrin.gif I just have to wait for my GPS to be delivered... In the meantime I am printing out all the Sacto/Valley and East Bay Area caches! I have also been reading about everyone's containers- hubby has some ammo cans so I will most likely use those to start. We are looking forward to starting right away on some of the easier Sacto ones- and then leaving the babies with Grandma and hitting some more difficult Contra Costa County caches.

~~Smiles~~

Dana (mav)

Hi Kim!

Great article in the Bee. I sent you an email this morning- just wanted to let you know you convinced me icon_biggrin.gif I just have to wait for my GPS to be delivered... In the meantime I am printing out all the Sacto/Valley and East Bay Area caches! I have also been reading about everyone's containers- hubby has some ammo cans so I will most likely use those to start. We are looking forward to starting right away on some of the easier Sacto ones- and then leaving the babies with Grandma and hitting some more difficult Contra Costa County caches.

~~Smiles~~

Dana (mav)

Guest Kubuli

Pepper the SheepDog and I just put our first cache out today ..... it should be up on the geocache page soon ...... LOL all that walking on the river is going to pay off .... we checked a spot for nbr 2 and it was still good so will probably be putting it up on thursday evening or friday .... be sure and pick up some trash on the way out the trash days of summer are here .....

Guest techtreker

This is my first day geocaching. I had 2 finds, both were your caches. I arrived at "Granite Beek" at 8:00 a.m. the kiosk was closed and there is no charge for entrance into the park when the kiosk is closed. Nicely done. This is so much fun. I'm planning to hide a couple of caches in the south Placer area after the 4th. Do you have a good source for maps you could refer me to.

Guest etrexable

At least once a month the wife and I trek from Oakland to Sac for a couple of creamy milkshakes from Gunther's Ice Cream. Geocache a scenic route from Davis to Gunther's. I'll keep an eye on the 95621 area code listing.

Guest JeffB

I've just learned about geocaching and I think it sounds awesome! I don't own a GPS system but would be interested in heading out with somebody that has a GPS system (that's going geocaching). Kind of a "try before I buy" thing. I'm in El Dorado Hills.

-Jeff

Guest kimbeattie

Well the response to the story in the Bee has been just great so far! Two new caches already. That's great! I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend . . . if I can wait that long!

Guest kimbeattie

Techtreker -- A good site for topographic maps in www.topozone.com. You can pretty much get a map of any area you want there. For free of course. Or you can pop over to REI and buy essentially the same program topozone.com is using and install it on your PC. (The California edition costs $99.) Another site to check out is www.mapquest.com. You can see color aerial photographs of the area being mapped. It's pretty cool!

Guest LilDevil

Great article in the Bee last week.. Got me hooked.

Nice job with the Blackberry Patch, Kubuli. I plan on looking for Troll's Bane tomorrow.

Which Loon Lake are you talking about? confused.gif The one near Folsom, or up near the Rubicon River?

I'll be up in the Packer Lake/Gold Lake area for 4 days following the 4th and hope to place a cache or two.

Lil Devil

Guest Kubuli

The Loon Lake up by Crystal Basin, lol there was a tree I found when I was putting in Cluster Plots for the Forest Service that would be a perfect place ..... but it might not bet there anymore with all the logging icon_frown.gif

I will try and put in one more cache on the river but will have to check the area out tonight .... there could be a problem with the campers ....... I am going to try and look for the three up by ice house this friday and if I get s chance see if the tree is still there ..... peppers cache is a good area to see turkey's, deer, coyote, and when the salmon run is on the odd eagle or two .... The American River Green Belt is a resource that is beyond price in this day and age ..... and it just makes me madder in H--- to see all the garbage that people pack in and do not remove .....

Guest Kubuli

The Loon Lake up by Crystal Basin, lol there was a tree I found when I was putting in Cluster Plots for the Forest Service that would be a perfect place ..... but it might not bet there anymore with all the logging icon_frown.gif

I will try and put in one more cache on the river but will have to check the area out tonight .... there could be a problem with the campers ....... I am going to try and look for the three up by ice house this friday and if I get s chance see if the tree is still there ..... peppers cache is a good area to see turkey's, deer, coyote, and when the salmon run is on the odd eagle or two .... The American River Green Belt is a resource that is beyond price in this day and age ..... and it just makes me madder in H--- to see all the garbage that people pack in and do not remove .....

Guest Kubuli

lol did two caches in the crystal basin today and discovered a forest fire and reported it and fought it until the usfs showed up will post more on Sat ....... I was on my way to Manzanita March when I found the fire

Guest Kubuli

More on the Fire ...... Pepper the SheepDog and I were on our way to Manzanita March when we saw some smoke in the trees down by a small stream .... started to drive by but had just saw a bunch of signs saying no camp fires or bbq's only stoves .... so backed up and went down to look ..... found and area about a 100' square where someone had not put out a camp fire and it had started to burn in the litter on the forest floor .... went back to my truck and got on the cell phone and called the forest service .... lol they gave me the station in Garden Valley but that was ok, gave him the gps coord's and the section on the map and the closest land mark and said I was going back to dump some water on it .... dumped the beer out of my ice chest icon_frown.gif and started dumping water on the fire, then I notice that is was starting to pop out of the gound in other places so went back and called again, by this time a helo was overhead but could not see me and he left because there was no where for him to land .... about this time fire trucks showed up and they put the fire out and I was on my way .....

Guest Kubuli

More on the Fire ...... Pepper the SheepDog and I were on our way to Manzanita March when we saw some smoke in the trees down by a small stream .... started to drive by but had just saw a bunch of signs saying no camp fires or bbq's only stoves .... so backed up and went down to look ..... found and area about a 100' square where someone had not put out a camp fire and it had started to burn in the litter on the forest floor .... went back to my truck and got on the cell phone and called the forest service .... lol they gave me the station in Garden Valley but that was ok, gave him the gps coord's and the section on the map and the closest land mark and said I was going back to dump some water on it .... dumped the beer out of my ice chest icon_frown.gif and started dumping water on the fire, then I notice that is was starting to pop out of the gound in other places so went back and called again, by this time a helo was overhead but could not see me and he left because there was no where for him to land .... about this time fire trucks showed up and they put the fire out and I was on my way .....

Guest Kubuli

LOL but like the guy said, its was the best kind of fire, one that in the end amounted to nothing ...... Waitu the Terv and I are leaving in about and hour to go up and put a cache in icon_smile.gif and see if we can find a mountain high enough to get waas to work icon_frown.gif this one will be a two stage one with the location of the main cache in the 1st part icon_smile.gif

Guest Kubuli

LOL but like the guy said, its was the best kind of fire, one that in the end amounted to nothing ...... Waitu the Terv and I are leaving in about and hour to go up and put a cache in icon_smile.gif and see if we can find a mountain high enough to get waas to work icon_frown.gif this one will be a two stage one with the location of the main cache in the 1st part icon_smile.gif

Guest Kubuli

Hello All

Well One Cache into the Crystal Basin for me ..... will be putting another one into that area on thru and friday ..... just want to say that the one today was the easy one ... the others will be hard ..... so please be carefull out there ..... I drove the roads going in for the next one and it is 9-10 miles of dirt road just to get close ..... and then you have to walk icon_smile.gif there will be no trails or anything of that type ..... so just make sure you take the basic stuff in case something goes wrong .... lol I fell today and though I was going to die it hurt so bad ....

Guest Kubuli

Hello All

Well One Cache into the Crystal Basin for me ..... will be putting another one into that area on thru and friday ..... just want to say that the one today was the easy one ... the others will be hard ..... so please be carefull out there ..... I drove the roads going in for the next one and it is 9-10 miles of dirt road just to get close ..... and then you have to walk icon_smile.gif there will be no trails or anything of that type ..... so just make sure you take the basic stuff in case something goes wrong .... lol I fell today and though I was going to die it hurt so bad ....

Guest The 19th

Yeah, I think the Bee article did it for most of the new people - including me. I think it's a great thing for me and my nephews. My 11 year old nephew went on a camping trip a few months ago and got hooked on hiking, the other (12 years old) just likes to play with gadgets like my GPS, so geocaching is perfect on getting both of them out of the house.

My only regret is that I didn't know about this earlier. I had been thinking about getting a GPS for a while - mainly for city use - but I thought it's value would end there. Boy was I wrong!

Welcome to the group The 19th.

Would someone out there please turn down this miserable heat?? I got my GPS yesterday (ordered through Amazon last Wednesday- got it already!) and I am ready to go! However heatstroke and sunburn don't sound like fun... so I am stuck here waiting. I ordered the Map76- man this thing is fun! lol

Maybe it will be cooler tomorrow??? Oh I can hope :-)

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest The 19th

Yeah, I do hope to get some caching in tomorrow, but forecasts don't look so good for cool temps. Why didn't I get into this during the time we had that great cool weather a few weeks ago.

We went out on Sunday, but the EasyGPS coords were so off from the actual ones that we ended up searching for quite a while. Got sunburned because I didn't expect we'd be out there for that long.

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by mav:

Welcome to the group The 19th.

Would someone out there please turn down this miserable heat?? I got my GPS yesterday (ordered through Amazon last Wednesday- got it already!) and I am ready to go! However heatstroke and sunburn don't sound like fun... so I am stuck here waiting. I ordered the Map76- man this thing is fun! lol

Maybe it will be cooler tomorrow??? Oh I can hope :-)

The McIrish Clan went out today in the 108 degree weather. HOT HOT HOT cool.gif Nobody ever accused us of being smart!! haha

Guest kimbeattie

Oh yeah, the heat can be a killer! I try to get out early to beat the heat. Last Sunday I went Hunting for Kubuli's caches on the American River and was on the trial by 6:30 AM. Found both caches and headed home by 9:00 AM. It's early, but the early morning temps were nice!

Guest Kubuli

Kubuli and Pepper the sheepdog will be leaving sometime friday to put in our next cache up in crystal basin ...... hint .... this one will be over 7000ft ..... and, and if things work out the one after that will be close to 8000ft ...... icon_smile.gif

Guest Kubuli

Kubuli and Pepper the sheepdog will be leaving sometime friday to put in our next cache up in crystal basin ...... hint .... this one will be over 7000ft ..... and, and if things work out the one after that will be close to 8000ft ...... icon_smile.gif

Hi all! Well we finally made it out- 4th of July- crowded & hot! The kids held up well, the dogs not as well. Poor Nanook still can't walk well(labs and their hips...). We went to American Kids and gave up even trying for Peppers Balckberry Patch & Troll's Bane. We then headed up out of town to cooler temperatures. Placed 2 caches-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3817

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3818

I hope you enjoy them- we love that area! I forgot Kubuli's fire badge though- sorry! It will get out there sometime lol! Can't wait till weekend- either going over to Alpine or up to Truckee area, seems there is a couple in each region and as you know by now I like it cooler icon_smile.gif.

Have a great weekend everyone!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

[This message has been edited by mav (edited 05 July 2001).]

Hi all! Well we finally made it out- 4th of July- crowded & hot! The kids held up well, the dogs not as well. Poor Nanook still can't walk well(labs and their hips...). We went to American Kids and gave up even trying for Peppers Balckberry Patch & Troll's Bane. We then headed up out of town to cooler temperatures. Placed 2 caches-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3817

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3818

I hope you enjoy them- we love that area! I forgot Kubuli's fire badge though- sorry! It will get out there sometime lol! Can't wait till weekend- either going over to Alpine or up to Truckee area, seems there is a couple in each region and as you know by now I like it cooler icon_smile.gif.

Have a great weekend everyone!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

[This message has been edited by mav (edited 05 July 2001).]

Guest McIrish

I see I have a lot to learn about caching... 6:30 am huh??? I guess I will have to sleep on that one! Hahaha thanks for the good advice kimbo, keep up the good work!

Guest The 19th

Caching in the early morning is great! Temps are very cool as compared to the sunset hours, and on weekends the roads are very deserted.

Guest Kubuli

Well Pepper and I are back ..... lol 4+ hours in and out, but then I am and old man icon_smile.gif spent the last night over where we are going to put the next one in .... I hope .... the sat photo's of the back side hold some hope of a way but I don't know for sure and we might have saw another place on the other peak, looks like there might be a good place over there icon_smile.gif got my first waas lock on the outing ...... down to 7ft error

Guest Kubuli

Well Pepper and I are back ..... lol 4+ hours in and out, but then I am and old man icon_smile.gif spent the last night over where we are going to put the next one in .... I hope .... the sat photo's of the back side hold some hope of a way but I don't know for sure and we might have saw another place on the other peak, looks like there might be a good place over there icon_smile.gif got my first waas lock on the outing ...... down to 7ft error

Guest The 19th

Haha!

Kimbo went ahead and hidden another cache today! Just my luck, we happened to be in the area and could have looked for it - Only if I knew it was there!

Guest kimbeattie

Yeah . . . I'm still trying to "seed" the "Sacramento Area." I'm looking for places other than Folsom Lake and the American River. Having said that, watch out for a new upcoming cache: More Rock Piles! The first one has been very popular, so I'm thinking a sequel is in order . . . I've lived in Sacramento since 1979 and I've seen more parts of this area in the last few months than in all the preceding years!

[This message has been edited by kimbeattie (edited 08 July 2001).]

Guest kimbeattie

Went after three caches today: "Fallen Log", "Stars & Stripes" and "Dam Sly Cache." I got them all, though "Fallen Log" gave me a bit of trouble before I (almost literally) tripped over it. (Headed out early again. Was on the road by 6:00 AM. Finished up with "Dam Sly Cache" right about Noon.)

I shied away from "INTI's Home in the Heavens" and "Dilbert's Delight". The terrain ratings of four (!) scared me off. icon_smile.gif

And then when I get home, I see four or five new caches in central California! Looks like busy weekends ahead!

Guest kimbeattie

Went after three caches today: "Fallen Log", "Stars & Stripes" and "Dam Sly Cache." I got them all, though "Fallen Log" gave me a bit of trouble before I (almost literally) tripped over it. (Headed out early again. Was on the road by 6:00 AM. Finished up with "Dam Sly Cache" right about Noon.)

I shied away from "INTI's Home in the Heavens" and "Dilbert's Delight". The terrain ratings of four (!) scared me off. icon_smile.gif

And then when I get home, I see four or five new caches in central California! Looks like busy weekends ahead!

Wow- what a V E R Y long weekend- we have been going since Wednesday! Thank you to everyone who has placed a cache- if we haven't been to yours yet- we will. We have had so much fun. My 2 1/2 year old daughter (boo) woke up this morning asking if we were going to find more "pirates treasure". icon_smile.gif Thank you too to those that have found ours- what a thrill to come home and see that email saying someone has logged into your cache!

I have been posting the link to this forum in my last 2 caches- thought it might help to bridge the gap- I see so many of the same names over and over in the logs- but they haven't been here yet. I enjoy here about the story behind the hides & finds (like Kimbo almost losing his car searching for my cache icon_biggrin.gif) -so keep posting here!

Here are 2 more from me and my crew (still minus the dogs- Nanook has needed the past few days to rest and heal- turns out she injured her front paw pad along with pulling something in her hip icon_frown.gif poor baby).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3985

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3898

These are both fairly easy- great for newbies and the kids! Hope you enjoy. HalfLife has a hitchhiker trying to get to Florida so we shall see how far he makes it.

Back to the work week...oh joy rolleyes.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Wow- what a V E R Y long weekend- we have been going since Wednesday! Thank you to everyone who has placed a cache- if we haven't been to yours yet- we will. We have had so much fun. My 2 1/2 year old daughter (boo) woke up this morning asking if we were going to find more "pirates treasure". icon_smile.gif Thank you too to those that have found ours- what a thrill to come home and see that email saying someone has logged into your cache!

I have been posting the link to this forum in my last 2 caches- thought it might help to bridge the gap- I see so many of the same names over and over in the logs- but they haven't been here yet. I enjoy here about the story behind the hides & finds (like Kimbo almost losing his car searching for my cache icon_biggrin.gif) -so keep posting here!

Here are 2 more from me and my crew (still minus the dogs- Nanook has needed the past few days to rest and heal- turns out she injured her front paw pad along with pulling something in her hip icon_frown.gif poor baby).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3985

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3898

These are both fairly easy- great for newbies and the kids! Hope you enjoy. HalfLife has a hitchhiker trying to get to Florida so we shall see how far he makes it.

Back to the work week...oh joy rolleyes.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest Kubuli

Well Waitu the Terv and I are on the way back up to crystal basin in the morning ..... I think this one will do it for up there for a while ..... I suspect that I will try and put in a two location cache with the coor'ds of the main cache in the first location ..... one of the items in the cache will be a new geocache t-shirt icon_smile.gif

Guest Kubuli

Well Waitu the Terv and I are on the way back up to crystal basin in the morning ..... I think this one will do it for up there for a while ..... I suspect that I will try and put in a two location cache with the coor'ds of the main cache in the first location ..... one of the items in the cache will be a new geocache t-shirt icon_smile.gif

Guest McIrish

We placed our first cache today...sounds perfect for your 2 1/2 year old Mav. We have two more caches, but we will wait until Friday to plant one of them. We are still working on the location for the other. Happy caching!!!!

Guest DustySneakers

Apollo and I found three today on our way to Stockton. Apollo took a trip on Sunday and hid his first cache. We are now keeping a cache in the truck at all times , in case we see a good spot. Thanks to all who have hidden caches. This is great fun!

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

We placed our first cache today...sounds perfect for your 2 1/2 year old Mav...

I noticed you placed one- seems a bit north for "spur-of-the-moment, forget dinner I'm going caching"...but then again maybe not icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to try to find it! Have a great day all.

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav