Release Notes (Geocaching® Android app: Experimental features) - August 16, 2021

Release Notes (Geocaching® Android app: Experimental features) - August 16, 2021

With today’s release, we have introduced an option for Premium members on Android devices to try out features that are not yet fully developed. As a Premium member on an Android device, you will see the option to turn on specific Experimental features in your app settings.

In the future, some of the features may be released to everyone, while other features may be discontinued. We will continue to add to the Experimental features menu over time. For this initial release, you can turn on and try out the following feature:

• Empty D/T grid search 

Note: This release is on Android devices only. Given the nature of Experimental features, the feature set will be different between Android and iOS.

Please visit this Premium-only forum section to share your feedback about this or any of the Experimental features.

Nicole (nykkole) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Helpful 2

Yet again the mapping features have been disrupted with this release!!

On an Android tablet when clicking on the View Larger map on a cache page all it does is to display your home location NOT the cache location you are looking at!!

PLEASE do not release software that has not been fully tested with Premium members.....

Its all rather annoying...

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, wendykmj said:

On an Android tablet when clicking on the View Larger map on a cache page all it does is to display your home location NOT the cache location you are looking at!!

PLEASE do not release software that has not been fully tested with Premium members.....

Agree ++.  Absolutely no use whatsoever - I know where I live! 

• Funny 2
7 hours ago, wendykmj said:

This release is related to the Geocaching App on Android. What you are describing is website functionality that you happen to be accessing from the browser of an Android tablet. There is no connection between the two. They are completely different ecosystems.

The bug you are experiencing was already reported in the appropriate section of the forums so we are aware. Thank you for your consideration.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Since yesterday's update the app immediately crashes when I click on my profile. I tried logging in and out, deinstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted the phone, cleared the cache. No success. Seems as if I have to wait for the next update...:wacko:

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, werla said:

Since yesterday's update the app immediately crashes when I click on my profile. I tried logging in and out, deinstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted the phone, cleared the cache. No success. Seems as if I have to wait for the next update...:wacko:

Same problem on my side .... 

On 8/17/2021 at 8:30 AM, wendykmj said:

View Larger map on a cache page all it does is to display your home location NOT the cache location you are looking at!!

Yes, completely agree that this makes the maps really hard work to use, especially when you open a cache in a foreign country and want to see what is around the area, and then find that you are thousands of miles away back at home.

• Upvote 1

I read about this on Wednesday, updated the app, and still no Experimental Features under settings. Updated the app again just now, still not there. I don't want to sign out and sign in again, because it says I will lose any Geocaching data saved on my device. Not the first time a new feature/change in the app (or a new cache for that matter) has not shown up until days, or even weeks, later than it has for some other cachers. Quite frustrating when one goes to an event, or caching with a group, and most people are having fun playing with a new feature, that a couple of you don't have, even though you have done updates/etc ... 

Oh well ... hopefully it will show up for me by the time the current Covid Lockdown, for the area I live in, is lifted ... because this is a feature I would like to use ... although once I have filled my grid, then I also would then want the option to use it for a second loop, etc ...

• Funny 1
3 minutes ago, Aykayem said:

I read about this on Wednesday, updated the app, and still no Experimental Features under settings. Updated the app again just now, still not there. I don't want to sign out and sign in again, because it says I will lose any Geocaching data saved on my device. 

You have Android right? What important geocaching data will you lose?

There is one Feature the app has needed all along ... something that has been available with Web page based logging ever since it was revamped to look/work like the app ... except for one very useful thing that the Web based logging has, but the app doesn't- and that is the way TBs can be visited/dropped ... I do my logging via the Web, rather than in the app as I go (resulting in me being way behind on my logging) and the reason I log via the Web, not the app? - because that way I can click/tap the "visit all" button and easily log a visit for all the TBs in my inventory ... I really really really wish I could do that in the app ... sigh

• Surprised 1
43 minutes ago, Aykayem said:

I can click/tap the "visit all" button and easily log a visit for all the TBs in my inventory ... I really really really wish I could do that in the app ... sigh

You should take a look at the android app that can't be named on this forum that does exactly what you want easily by a click of a button.

On topic :

Apparently this new feature would be useless for me because I finished my grid 4 times already...

6 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

You should take a look at the android app that can't be named on this forum that does exactly what you want easily by a click of a button.

But you can name Geooh GO for Android (and now Cachly on iOS after the recent update) that does exactly that too. Auto visiting TBs easily has been in Geooh for quite some time.

7 minutes ago, TexasGal +2 said:

Good morning! I have an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S9), but under settings in my Geocaching app, I do not have the option to choose the experimental features. 

What am I doing wrong?

I found it! I had to sign out and sign back in to get the feature!!  Whew!

Edited by TexasGal +2
  • Helpful 1