AZ Geocachers - What are you doing to get outside?

Csquared

With all the forests and state trust land closed, what are y'all doing? I know that urban caches are an option but it's just not the same as a hike in the desert or a camping trip in the mountains. I know that the chain of lakes is (was?) still open but I'm not a big fan of huge crowds. My jeepin' buddies are also getting restless and seems like their only option is to work on the upgrades (that's fun but too $$).

Any suggestions,

Csquared - Tim & Karen

A friend and I decided that since our favorite camping spots were closed that we would go somewhere that we normally wouldn't go. We used the forest closure as an excuse to see something new. So we went out to the Swansea ghost town / Bill Williams River area. Very, very remote, but beautiful area, expecially around the river. It was memorial day weekend, but we didn't see another soul for the entire 3 days. Heat was the only problem, although down by the river wasn't so bad. The first morning that I woke up, I had no shade, the sun was already out in force, and I felt like a Hot Pocket after 3 minutes in the microwave. Anyway, that is what I'm going to do with all the closures. Go all the places that I've always wanted to see, but never seem to get there as I usually end up at my favorite haunts.

*By the way, the area that we went was BLM land, which is not closed (last I checked), you just can't have a fire.

Not really sure what we are going to do this summer. We went out to Ironwood this last weekend but it was so dry everywhere that I really didn't have a very good time. I just don't like being out there when it is so volitile.

We are seeing an increase of urban micro caches here in the Tucson area and that helps.

We are also thinking of a trip to Idaho to visit family this summer. Might be a good excuse to find some caches up there.

DD214,

Sounds like an interesting place, it's too bad that side of the state is so hot this time of year too.

Yeah, so far BLM is still open, just check your maps carefully. The way the land is so intermingled you don't want to get ticketed (fines are huge!!!).

We are headed to San Diego at the end of the month. That should be a nice escape from the heat. I'll have to check for caches in the area.

Be careful whatever you do.

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by TimC:

Yeah, so far BLM is still open, just check your maps carefully. The way the land is so intermingled you don't want to get ticketed (fines are huge!!!).

I'll say huge! Here's what I found earlier today on that subject:

TUCSON, AZ (May 27, 2002)-- Beginning Tuesday, May 28, at 8:00 a.m., the Coronado National Forest will be closed to unauthorized entry due to extreme fire danger until further notice. Violation of the closure is punishable by a fine up to $5000 for an individual, $10,000 for a legal entity other than an individual, or imprisonment up to 6 months, or both. Persons who start wildfires may be liable for suppression costs.

Sure isn't worth making a mistake. I agree with TimC...check those maps very carefully!