Chicago Park District caches

phouse512

Hi all, I live in the city of Chicago and would like to help hide some geocaches on the south side where I live, as it's pretty sparse and some are just not well maintained. I've noticed there are tons of caches in various parks all over the city, that are managed by the Chicago Park District. Does anyone know if they (CPD) are cool with geocaches being hidden on park property? Or do I need to get permission for each one I'd like to add to a park?

My apologies if this is not the place to ask. Thanks for the help!

On 8/14/2021 at 7:39 PM, phouse512 said:

Hi all, I live in the city of Chicago and would like to help hide some geocaches on the south side where I live, as it's pretty sparse and some are just not well maintained. I've noticed there are tons of caches in various parks all over the city, that are managed by the Chicago Park District. Does anyone know if they (CPD) are cool with geocaches being hidden on park property? Or do I need to get permission for each one I'd like to add to a park?

My apologies if this is not the place to ask. Thanks for the help!

Hello.  Have you checked your regions geocaching wiki?  It may have some information that may be pertinent to where you would like to hide a cache.  

good luck!

take care,

ODS

Thanks @outdoorsoccer, I went through the Illinois regional wiki, and the only info I could find about Chicago (Cook County) was that it can't be on school grounds, and must be at least 150ft away from a playground. Nothing more specific than that unfortunately.

@Corps of Discovery thanks for the info - is that from experience hiding your own caches? This is my first hide so I'm not sure if I would have to show proof of permission during the review process. If not, I think I found a good spot and I'll submit one for review in the coming weeks.

43 minutes ago, phouse512 said:

Thanks @outdoorsoccer, I went through the Illinois regional wiki, and the only info I could find about Chicago (Cook County) was that it can't be on school grounds, and must be at least 150ft away from a playground. Nothing more specific than that unfortunately.

@Corps of Discovery thanks for the info - is that from experience hiding your own caches? This is my first hide so I'm not sure if I would have to show proof of permission during the review process. If not, I think I found a good spot and I'll submit one for review in the coming weeks.

I did a brief search too and it looks like mainly your forest preserves have strict rules for placement of geocaching.    You could contact your local parks and Rec folks for guidance . Your reviewer will have some very helpful insight too.

But be prepared to be told no.   I asked my town’s parks and rec manager  for permission to place a cache in a local park and was denied.  I was told the town doesn’t “officially” allow geocaches in the town parks.  Luckily my reviewer worked with Gamelands authorities and cachers have blanket approval to hide caches there as long as they are safely placed and appropriate warnings are listed in the cache page.  So I have placed a few and plan on placing more on Gamelands.   What is even weirder is that towns surrounding us allow caches to be placed in parks. So I have placed caches in those other towns. I made sure to note in my cache description and give my reviewer the information of who approved my cache in the park. 

My first hide took a bit to get published as the park employee and I went back and forth a few times to find a spot that we both could agree on. It was a fun process and I learned a lot. 

Good luck and please keep us posted on how your first cache placement goes. 

Take care,

ODS

11 hours ago, phouse512 said:

Personal experience and talking to those who've hidden quite a few in the parks. The Chicago Park District does not have any policy regarding hiding caches that I've ever seen. The same goes for the Cook County Forest Preserves. As long as you follow the other guidelines you should do fine. If there are any issues I'm sure the reviewer will help you resolve them.

• Helpful 1