Website map not sorting by distance correctly

mattwhiskers

Hi,

Been having an issue since yesterday evening using the map functionality on the website. For weeks now, my standard view is always to sort caches by distance from my home location (using the Home Location option that appears in the search bar). Now, those results are only ever shown in order of Favourite points gained, not by distance. By using the sort dropdown, I can arrange by all the other categories (Difficulty, Terrain etc.), but distance keeps reverting to favourite points. Not what I need to plan my caching activity. Am I doing something really obviously wrong to have it set this way?

Getting the same situation when using either Chrome or Edge to view the website.

Thanks,

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, mattwhiskers said:

Hi,

Been having an issue since yesterday evening using the map functionality on the website. For weeks now, my standard view is always to sort caches by distance from my home location (using the Home Location option that appears in the search bar). Now, those results are only ever shown in order of Favourite points gained, not by distance. By using the sort dropdown, I can arrange by all the other categories (Difficulty, Terrain etc.), but distance keeps reverting to favourite points. Not what I need to plan my caching activity. Am I doing something really obviously wrong to have it set this way?

Getting the same situation when using either Chrome or Edge to view the website.

Thanks,

I hadn't used this feature, but looking at it now, I see the same result as you do.  I'm in Safari.  Definitely a bug!

56 minutes ago, JoenGPS said:

Within a cache page, clicking on the geocaching.com map brings me to a wide view of my home area, not the expected cache location! I tried two browsers, several times, same result. I did not see that reported, just a heads up. Give the hamster double rations :)

I did notice this a couple days ago but it seems to be working fine today for me. But I know what you are referring to! 

I did maintenance on a cache, went to my profile, clicked my profile/Geocaches/Geocaches owned/Multi-Cache.... it brings up a page with no matching results. (Home area again) . I have to zoom out/scroll, search area again. then it shows up. I liked the old way maps used to work. I still have the same issue as noted a couple of threads above.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, MaxB on the River said:

Problem of the map "View Larger Map" from cache page is still resulting for my home coordinates, not the cache map originally opened.  Today is Monday 8/16/21.

You wouldn't be using an old or unusual web browser, would you? I've been living with this problem on an old Firefox version ever since the "search map code refactor" last fall. There was some thread about it that dealed also with a bunch of other issues, but it was clear that this was happening also to Safari users.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/359138-release-notes-website-progressive-release-search-map-code-refactor-october-26-2020/

It was said that the issue was looked into, but then the thread was just closed without resolution (to my issue at least).