Logging Earthcache

jiklomiki83

It's not my first time I have this "issue": I found an interesting Earthcache, did my best to get the answers (I'm not very brilliant about geology) and sent the answers to CO. The weeks passed and no answer. As far as I understand, you shouldn't log an Earthcache without prior cons vshare ent from the CO. What to do in that case?  https://omegle.onl/

Edited by jiklomiki83
  • Funny 1

Yes, as Lee said you don't have to wait for a response from the CO before logging your find. From the Help Centre:

3.6. Log an EarthCache or a Virtual Cache

Read the cache page to learn the logging requirements for any EarthCache or Virtual Cache. You must visit an EarthCache site or Virtual Cache in person and, in most cases, answer questions to claim the find. Send your answers by email or Message Center directly to the cache owner. (Note: cache owners cannot require information to be sent through one particular tool.) Once you send your answers, you may log your find online before hearing back from the cache owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
12 hours ago, jiklomiki83 said:

As far as I understand, you shouldn't log an Earthcache without prior consent from the CO.

I've done several earthcaches, and rarely ever hear from the CO one way or another, and I sometimes have no clue if I've got the answer "right" - I make my best guess.  Like you, I'm not very knowledgeable about geology either!!  So I give my answer(s) and why or how I came up with what I did, and then log it.  I haven't ever had one deleted, and very rarely will get a response from the CO.  

The EC page may SAY you need to wait for the CO to give you permission; in those cases we've waited a day or two and then logged it anyway and have never heard from the CO at all.  All others, we send our answers and then log it.

• Helpful 1
On 8/13/2021 at 5:42 AM, jiklomiki83 said:

It's not my first time I have this "issue": I found an interesting Earthcache, did my best to get the answers (I'm not very brilliant about geology) and sent the answers to CO. The weeks passed and no answer. As far as I understand, you shouldn't log an Earthcache without prior consent from the CO. What to do in that case?

In a perfect world, every time you log an earthcache, the owner will get back to you and let you know what you got right and what you got wrong, because this is supposed to be a science lesson.

This is not required by the guidelines, so you're not going to get it every time. But I certainly encourage it in earthcache owners, and I always try to deliver for our earthcaches.

However, consent by the owner is not required by the guidelines, either. Once you have submitted answers for an earthcache, and taken any photos that are required, your mission is complete, and you may log a find. While your answers should of course be the best you can put together, and it would be ideal for them to be "right," this isn't a pass/fail exam, it's a geocache.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion you don't have to be brilliant about geology, only that you made an reasonable attempt to understand the geology at the location.  As a point, I try and reply back within a week to everyone who took the time to send me answers. This comes from a place from my frustrations of having dealt with difficult earthcache owners in the past. That being said, responding quickly and in more depth is a little tougher during International Earthcache Weekend, but I tend give geological feedback on answers that I see as being pretty far off. 

• Upvote 2
On 10/19/2021 at 5:14 AM, Awesnap said:

That being said, responding quickly and in more depth is a little tougher during International Earthcache Weekend...

I have my logs and messages set up to arrive via text message - while I do have quite a few caches they tend to be pretty remote (traditionals), difficult (puzzles) or unattractive to a large segment of the geocaching populations (earthcaches) so in general I get a few texts per week about logs and messages.

On International Earthcaching weekend... my phone BLEW. UP. It's great to see so many people out enjoying Earth Caches, but I definitely had to spend a considerably longer time responding to messages.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, STNolan said:

I have my logs and messages set up to arrive via text message - while I do have quite a few caches they tend to be pretty remote (traditionals), difficult (puzzles) or unattractive to a large segment of the geocaching populations (earthcaches) so in general I get a few texts per week about logs and messages.

On International Earthcaching weekend... my phone BLEW. UP. It's great to see so many people out enjoying Earth Caches, but I definitely had to spend a considerably longer time responding to messages.

I got one find on my EC over the International EarthCache Day weekend this year and was the only finder of the one I visited. It's much the same on the other ECs around here, with either none or one find. Perhaps the COVID lockdown kept things quiet, with travel for recreation confined to our local government area, but looking back through the logs, for the past few years mine has only gotten one find that weekend, except for 2015 and 2017 when it got none and 2016 when got two.