Drill hole in loose brick

Anyone use a hammer drill and or masonry bit to put a partial hole in a brick for a brick wall hide? This brick matched perfectly and I only have one shot at it. Don’t want to crack it. I was also thinking of sand blasting a hole…?? It would not be a perfect hole, but big enough to expand-foam the log container into. 

though cachers might crack it in the future, I can cross that bridge when I come to it. 

• Love 1

@Viajero Perdido this is NOT my brickwall. It's a wall in a public parking lot that's falling down slowly. Several bricks are missing, and this one brick is mostly out of the wall already. it's loose. In my opinion. Perhaps that violates a policy somewhere... ? The wall already has fully missing bricks and no one seems to care one way or another. It'll probably get fixed one of these days, but until then, a great spot for a hide.

• Surprised 2
2 hours ago, ruutherford said:

@Viajero Perdido this is NOT my brickwall. It's a wall in a public parking lot that's falling down slowly. Several bricks are missing, and this one brick is mostly out of the wall already. it's loose. In my opinion. Perhaps that violates a policy somewhere... ? The wall already has fully missing bricks and no one seems to care one way or another. It'll probably get fixed one of these days, but until then, a great spot for a hide.

If this isn't your wall, then you can't presume that "no one seems to care". Maybe no one would care that a geocache was hidden there but without seeking permission, you won't know that for sure.

A bigger issue might be that when someone comes along to find the cache, they would have to remove the brick(s) to find the container. If the wall owner or maintenance person sees someone pulling bricks out of a wall that is already starting to fall down, do you think they would make the connection with geocaching? They would think that person is vandalizing the wall. You'd be putting finders in a bad spot and geocaching in a bad light. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ruutherford said:

...this is NOT my brickwall. It's a wall in a public parking lot that's falling down slowly. Several bricks are missing, and this one brick is mostly out of the wall already. it's loose. In my opinion. Perhaps that violates a policy somewhere... ? 

Before looking at drilling , what condition was the wall when you asked permission to place a cache there ?   Thanks.  :)

Is the landowner okay with you drilling into any of the bricks ?   We wouldn't think that happens often...

Did you ask for permission with your other caches ?

I'd make sure to mention that the landowner was okay with it in the description, because of the hide.

-  Intentional damage to property not yours could get it archived, and give you a bad name in the community.

I think a good compromise (if permission is granted) would be to go and buy your own brick, one that is a different color than the wall, create your cache and place it in the wall if there is an opening. That way you're not damaging any existing property and when people come to look for it, the odd colored brick will stand out to them. I think that would make for a fun urban cache and as long as you have permission to place the cache, shouldn't ruffle any feathers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, Crow-T-Robot said:

I think a good compromise (if permission is granted) would be to go and buy your own brick, one that is a different color than the wall, create your cache and place it in the wall if there is an opening. That way you're not damaging any existing property and when people come to look for it, the odd colored brick will stand out to them. I think that would make for a fun urban cache and as long as you have permission to place the cache, shouldn't ruffle any feathers. 

That would be pretty cool, a different color.  When this thread was posted I thought of the brick façade tiles where you don't even need to drill brick, just cut or drill whatever is used as the "brick" structure behind the tile.  Another idea would be to fashion a fake brick and place it somewhere on the ground near the wall.

But unless a cache page specifies which brick it is, I skip a "brick wall" cache.  I hate pulling out brick after brick and then finding out later that it wasn't actually hidden in the wall itself, or the special brick is missing.  Especially when I arrive and previous cachers destroyed the wall.  For a cache to endure there, it has to be a unique wall in a special place... not just any old wall with a lot of loose bricks.  For example, a wall that has exactly one missing brick in an otherwise intact wall.  Maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Crow-T-Robot said:

We had that as part of a mystery series.    :)  A small brick wall was half down, and bricks were strewn around the area.

I brought a core-holed brick (3) , with a match stick holder inserted, and moss glued on the bottom.  All bricks in the area were solid.

• Helpful 2
58 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But unless a cache page specifies which brick it is, I skip a "brick wall" cache.  I hate pulling out brick after brick and then finding out later that it wasn't actually hidden in the wall itself, or the special brick is missing.  Especially when I arrive and previous cachers destroyed the wall.  

Yep.  We figure it'd be our luck that when the landowner, or a cop show up, we're the ones standing there.  :)

The last "brick wall" cache I did had obviously been taken apart, by the moss that was piled in clumps under each missing spot.

• Helpful 1
On 8/11/2021 at 9:15 PM, ruutherford said:

It sure does.  A reviewer won't approve the cache, and if the reviewer only finds out the full story later, he or she will archive the cache at that time. Your modified brick is a good, creative handcrafted cache that could be used elsewhere, though, in a place where there will be no confusion or any scenario where cachers appear to be disassembling a deteriorating wall.

Edited by wmpastor
On 8/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Crow-T-Robot said:

Good, or do this:

Screenshot_20210905-180950_Chrome.jpg