How to handle TBs at an event

Jbird and Zip

15 minutes ago, Jbird and Zip said:

If I host an event, and there are TBs left behind, am I then responsible for dealing with all of them?

Yes.

If you don't want to deal with them, stand up on a table near the end of the event and in a loud voice kindly ask each person to take a trackable with them.

Acquiring an unexpectedly large number of TBs can be a headache.  I once was offered just 12 at an Event, and placing them all was a challenge.  I didn’t want to just dump them all into one cache, that’s how I got them.  The bigger problem was unscrambling the logs.  In my case, some TBs were still showing in cachers’ hands or in caches in Europe.  Supposedly, logs were gonna catch up at some point.

You might have a table to discover TBs, and make it “Discover Only”.  The idea being that everyone’s excess TBs don’t get abandoned on the table, but people can log them, then they’re returned to the current holder.  Ask for volunteers to take and move them, and people can still end up with more than they can handle.

Anyway, you’re getting a pretty good feel for the issues of TBs at Events.  I’m disappointed when I see one of mine dropped at an Event… that’s often the last time it’s ever logged.  Some cachers use “Events” as a way to make troublesome TBs vanish, “the perfect crime”?

On the other hand, you might look at the pile of Event abandoned TBs, and get them back into play properly.  One at a time.  There’s no hurry, as long as the job gets done.  TB Owners may really appreciate the genuine logs and the move to a cache.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jbird and Zip said:

If I host an event, and there are TBs left behind, am I then responsible for dealing with all of them? And if not, what are my options?

Yep.     It seems to get worse each year.  Bags/boxes of trackables, and most have logging issues with them to boot...   :)

Similar to kunarion I guess, I think I'd actually prefer that you take them (if you don't mind). 

"Left overs" are often trackables forgotten about, and dropped it into your event just to get rid of them.  No name associated with them a clue.

- The box of trackables that's been passed cache-to-cache by the same maggot who's been holding onto other people's property for months or years,   "Hi folks !  I brought some of my trackable's for Discover !   Enjoy ! " is my biggest pet peeve. 

I ask out loud now if they're theirs, and had a few leave when folks now realize this "fun" person is pretty-much a hoarder/ trackable thief.  

Edited by cerberus1
11 hours ago, Jbird and Zip said:

If I host an event, and there are TBs left behind, am I then responsible for dealing with all of them? And if not, what are my options?

If I host an event and end up with physical trackables left behind, I log that I took them from the event, and move them along to a cache.

If, after hosting an event, a trackable that was dropped in my event and taken by a cacher but not logged as so (i.e. it still shows up as being in the event but it was actually taken by a cacher), I'll send an announcement or two about logging the trackables (like "hey, whoever took trackable X, would you please log that you took it?").  If there are still trackables logged as being at my event when it's time to archive my event, I mark them missing.

I mark them missing because a) I don't know where they actually are (i.e. they're missing, at least to me as the event owner), and b) marking them missing isn't like archiving a cache, it just means its whereabouts are currently unknown, and whenever someone gets around to logging it, it'll be updated.

• Upvote 5

It's the event organiser's curse: taking home all the trackables, that have been left behind after the event is finished. I don't see any other option. You have to accept that this can happen when you organise an event. Sometimes, the ones left behind can be quite bulky. In that case, I suggest you attend an event and pass the torch to the organiser. :laughing: 

• Upvote 1