Setting up a short series

Black Betsy

I’ve been caching for a while and have one hide. I want to set up a short series of 4 or 5 caches close to my home aimed at getting younger children interested by providing a walkable series fairly close together with easy to find caches. I’m a bit stumped as to how to set a series. Do I have to do each one individually marking it as no1, no2 etc or is there a mechanism for a series?

Many thanks. Hoping to set up in the next week to catch the school holidays. 

Edited by Black Betsy
  • Surprised 2

Just  establish each separate cache with pertinent information. You can say in the cache name or description it is part of a series. You can as you mention name them with the same name and use #1, #2  etc. Just be sure there meet the distance apart requirement.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, Black Betsy said:

I’m a bit stumped as to how to set a series. Do I have to do each one individually marking it as no1, no2 etc or is there a mechanism for a series?

Either works, depending on what you're presenting.  A few times (alternative parking) we've done #12  before  #1, so something to think about.  :)

Most series we've done have a theme.  One we had, had different cache styles and containers as an introduction to the hobby for new folks.

One favorite was in another state, and was based on Harry Potter.   

• Helpful 1

Cerberus1 - great idea of using a variety of cache types as an introduction. We are relatively new to the sport and have been looking for an idea for our first hide. We like this one a lot!

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Either works, depending on what you're presenting.  A few times (alternative parking) we've done #12  before  #1, so something to think about.  :)

Most series we've done have a theme.  One we had, had different cache styles and containers as an introduction to the hobby for new folks.

One favorite was in another state, and was based on Harry Potter.   

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
23 hours ago, Black Betsy said:

I want to set up a short series of 4 or 5 caches close to my home aimed at getting younger children interested by providing a walkable series fairly close together with easy to find caches.

I am not sure if several easy to find caches with only the logbook to sign is what really interests younger children. That will get boring soon for most of them and will attract grown-up number hunters more.

Why not make one themed multi cache with family friendly or kids friendly riddles which leads you to one big final box with several trading items? That may not attract as many cachers as your little trail will do but it will attract families and as I understand that's exactly what you want.

I suggest to use figurines for the stages which fit to your theme (maybe dwarfes and elves and make it a fairy tale?) and simple enough riddles for the children. You can include one or two harder ones but give enough hints so that the parents can help the kids solving the riddle.

Just some ideas:

- One stage might contain a puzzle (I am not sure if this translation is correct as "puzzle" has a different meaning as the German "Puzzle") with 30 (or so) peaces showing Snow White and the solvers have to find the numbers of her companions to get the next digit for the final coordinates.

- The prince has to find his way through a maze (printed and laminated) to the princess and on his way he collects another number for the coordinates.

- You need a UV lamp to find the secret number on a nice figurine.

You do not have to care for distances between the stages of a multi cache which is another advantage.

Have fun!

Jochen

On 8/7/2021 at 5:21 AM, Black Betsy said:

I’ve been caching for a while and have one hide. I want to set up a short series of 4 or 5 caches close to my home aimed at getting younger children interested by providing a walkable series fairly close together with easy to find caches. I’m a bit stumped as to how to set a series. Do I have to do each one individually marking it as no1, no2 etc or is there a mechanism for a series?

Many thanks. Hoping to set up in the next week to catch the school holidays. 

What device will the children be using to find the geocaches? 

If they will be using the app, consider this help center article. They will only see event caches and traditional caches D2T2 and below on the app, if they are basic members. 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

Edited by Max and 99