wrong visit date

prussel

I logged some waymarks today after a long time. Thereby I noticed: No matter which date I enter, afterwards my log is always with today's date.

I can change this via "edit log". But it is quite annoying, because I actually always log later but would like to have the actual visit date. (That the date in the statistics is wrong, we know...)
Is that with you too, or is the problem with me?

Cheers, Michael

2 hours ago, prussel said:

Is that with you too, or is the problem with me?

You are not alone, I experience the same thing.

Also it seems the visit date is in a different time zone. As an example I am in  PST,  if I post generally after 2:00 pm (or there about) it records the next day.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, T0SHEA said:

You are not alone, I experience the same thing.

Also it seems the visit date is in a different time zone. As an example I am in  PST,  if I post generally after 2:00 pm (or there about) it records the next day.

Same. I am in PST as well, and some times it is showing tomorrow's date. Wish Groundspeak would fix the issue. It's been several weeks.

• Funny 1

Yep, this has been happening to me recently as well. The system ignores the date you enter and always puts in today's date. Or perhaps tomorrows. You have to upload your image(s) and then go back and edit the visit. When you change the date on the edit page it seems to stick. The real annoyance is that for some unknown reason you can't edit a visit after twenty-four hours so I have several "bad" visit dates over the last few weeks. Not that anyone really cares but I do like for my stats, such as they are, to be correct.

4 hours ago, TyroneShoelaces said:

Still no fix to this?  I'm logging a bunch from this past weekend and have to edit the date each time.  Ugh...

Groundspeak tends to prioritize resources to things that have monetary incentives. Waymarking, unfortunately is not one of them. The site doesn't bring in much, if any, revenue unlike Geocaching. I don't see this becoming fixed anytime soon. Heck, we've been missing the maps on the stats of our profile pages for years now. And that hasn't been fixed. The trend in the past with Groundspeak is what is the bare minimum we can do to keep the site afloat. And frankly, this issue (while it is a problem), isn't enough for Groundspeak to spend the time and money on (even though it's probably an easy fix in the code).

Edited by bluesnote

I just returned from a vacation in Greece and I logged two visits and of course I had to edit my visits to give them the correct date. This is far more than annoying. :angry: I will (for now) not log any visits anymore, because I don't want to log dozens of visits and edit each and every one of them to give them the date that I have been there. Of course I understand that from the company's point of view bugs on geocaching.com are more important. But on the other hand, how much time will it take for a professional coder to fix that tiny, but VERY annoying bug??? 5 minutes? :angry:

11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

But on the other hand, how much time will it take for a professional coder to fix that tiny, but VERY annoying bug??? 5 minutes? :angry:

If it was my system (and I therefore had the responsibility to maintain it) I'd agree with you that the fix could be done within 15 minutes.

But since it is not my system (and I'm sure, I don't want to have the responsibility for maintaining it) I can't tell.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:09 AM, PISA-caching said:

But on the other hand, how much time will it take for a professional coder to fix that tiny, but VERY annoying bug??? 5 minutes?

Maybe without these "small" bugs, more people might be interested - and do more Waymarking - and thus give GS the chance to get 'more money' in to the site? :blink:

• Helpful 1
On 8/6/2021 at 3:52 AM, prussel said:

my log is always with today's date.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, The Snowdog said:

The system ignores the date you enter and always puts in today's date

On 9/12/2021 at 1:54 AM, Becktracker said:

but it is really annoying.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, TyroneShoelaces said:

Ugh..

On 5/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, PISA-caching said:

This is far more than annoying

Annoying!!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, prussel said:

To push the tread up: Is there something new from Groundspeak? It can't be that complicated to modify the programming. Have unfortunately forgotten to ask during our visit to the HQ in August...

I think it's frustrating to have to manually change every single visit date after I log a visit. 

• Upvote 1

SO FRUSTRATING. I just had to delete a log because I had accidently put the visit in the future (forgot to back the month off). The system let me do that! But when I deleted it and re-logged, I get an error message "You cannot set the visit date in the future." So the system does look at that field. But once the visit was posted of course it was today's date, not the corrected date, and I had to go in (as always) and edit the date.

• Surprised 1
On 11/23/2021 at 9:17 AM, TyroneShoelaces said:

Still no fix to this?  I

1 hour ago, TyroneShoelaces said:

PLEASE FIX THIS!!

It is unlikely this will be fixed. If the actual visit date is important, why not just add the date to your visit note. At least there will be a record of the date.

I get a lot of visits and almost all are just a copy and paste. Most of the time I do not even read them after one or two.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, TyroneShoelaces said:

Our premium membership dues hard at work.  

Awww, quit yer bitchin' and do what was suggested above - OR - Get off your couch and take your case to the management.

Dealing with middle management seldom results in satisfaction, so I would suggest you take it to The Top, then work down from there, as necessary.

However, my experience is that one cannot really get to The Top. Try these URLs. You'll see what I mean.

Bitching by others for years and years has been equally IN-efficacious.

So here's the deal - You can refer back to the top line in this post, accepting your situation, OR ??????

It's up to you.

I'm actually hoping that you might desire to choose yet another avenue, thereby somehow managing to achieve meaningful change within this particular cyber-environment, releasing us all from the shackles about which we daily render our disenchantment.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1

This has been broken forever. And it's worse than you think. Even after you edit your log and correct the date, the old (incorrect) date is still what your "found" calendar shows. In other words, if you were to return from vacation and log thirty waymarks today, and correct the dates, you would still be +30 on today's date on the calendar.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, TyroneShoelaces said:

should be an easy fix if anybody at The Top cared enough about Waymarking to fix it.

I agree that the fix should be easy (but I don't know the code), but from the financial aspect (costs of fixing that bug versus how much money could the fix generate in return) very unlikely.

And then there are currently only about 9048 different waymarkers that have posted a waymark since the start of Waymarking, only 412 waymarkers posted in the last year. I guess that there are probably about 5 times the number (~ 2000) active waymarkers that do log visits, but never post a new waymark. Compared to around 2,000,000 active geocachers, the active waymarkers are a negligibly small proportion (smaller than 1%) - and thus not really interesting for the management.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:22 AM, The Snowdog said:

This has been broken forever. And it's worse than you think. Even after you edit your log and correct the date, the old (incorrect) date is still what your "found" calendar shows. In other words, if you were to return from vacation and log thirty waymarks today, and correct the dates, you would still be +30 on today's date on the calendar.

Sad to say, what you say appears to be altogether too true!

Tried to add a leap year visit, since we missed doing it on the day in question, and the calendar remains as it was prior to posting the visit.

Now gotta wait another year to fill that singularly empty slot. :mad: :drama:

The situation is way more complicated than most people can imagine. There are two completely independent visit dates.

One is the "keyboard date", the day when you did log your visit. This one is used to fill the calendar grid in your profile and all the statistics derived from it. Unlike the posting dates which are in Pacific Time (as in Seattle), this visit date uses UTC (which is London, but without Daylight Saving Time). So you'll end up with a calendar grid showing what date England had when you entered your visits.

The other one, I'll call it "location date", is what you enter in the date field of the visit. And this one has recently become broken, after saving it resets to keyboard date and you have to edit it, only then it stays. (It used to work until maybe two or three years ago.) This date is used in "My Visits" (not "Waymarks I've visited", these are two different links) and in the "Recent Visits/Logs:" section at the bottom of a waymark.

The absolute highlight of this mess is the "last visited" field on a waymark search result or category page.

Now you have to be strong:

There you can see the location date of the visit with the newest keyboard date. Really! So it can jump back when new retro visits are logged.