Caching In/Around Sacramento - Part 2

Rent

MAP and I went out to the Penryn, Newcastle, Auburn area today to do four caches. If you haven't tried Mother Lode Overlook you should seriously get out there. It's a FUN multistager which uses a bit of orienteering.

[This message was edited by Rent on June 21, 2002 at 02:28 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo and Mc5:

I just noticed that too. Oh well so much for a trial run. I guess I could give you my password..... naah.

It should be approved by friday.

yeah...thats the ticket.....give me your password!!! icon_eek.gif

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Dang... this sounds like fun, but MAP and I are headed for caching in Mendocino today so I'll miss the first round. I expect all the cards will be gone by the end of the weekend. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Rent on June 21, 2002 at 02:29 PM.]

I just got back from camping this weekend and just saw what was going on with the poker game. Quite a bit more response than I expected. So I was trying to come up with ways to make it more enjoyable for more people.

These are a couple that make a little more sense than some others.

1. Make it five card stud. You stop picking up cards when you get five. That would open up the game to a few more people.

2. Add another deck. That would make it possible to get some relly wierd hands. ie two ace of spades.

3. Change the name to friday NIGHT poker. That way people that have to work monday through friday have a chance to play as well.

icon_confused.gif Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas as well.

Jeo

I've been thinking about setting up a poker game for awhile and since there was so much interest in Jeo's, and since M@&K8 volunteered to help hide a couple cards, it looks like I will be starting one soon. It will be very similar to Jeo's (geocaching by Xerox makes things easier for me) except Waldo's Evil Twin stole the gift certificate so the only reward will be memories (I didn't say 'good memories'...). Also, in order to maximize the number of geocachers playing poker, if you are playing in Waldo's game, you can't take cards at Evil Waldo's game (but feel free to hunt the caches).

Glenn

I like the idea!

Will it be out soon so I can look?

I made the first one of mine easy, maybe later in the game I should increase some of the difficulty.? Hhmmmm some evil thoughts come to mind. But don't worry I won't make a five star stage....

yet.

I was curious what peoples thoughts were about certain "food" items being put in caches.

K8 and I typically put Pez dispensers in caches as a signature item and until recently they were often package in a small plastic bag with two sealed rolls of candy. Glenn95630 pointed out that that might attract varmints and possibly bears in the higher country. It seemed like a good point and so we have been opening the packages and removing the candy lately.

But then I was surfing caches and noticed at least one near Big Trees SP in Calaveras County (bear country to my knowledge) that was stocked originally with some sealed candy and pancake mix.

Just curious what others thought about this subject?

My gameplan is to have it ready for this weekend. I plan to post the coordinates late Friday night or early Saturday morning to this forum and also to the cache page. (The cache page has not been created...yet.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo:

I like the idea!

Will it be out soon so I can look?

I made the first one of mine easy, maybe later in the game I should increase some of the difficulty.? Hhmmmm some evil thoughts come to mind. But don't worry I won't make a five star stage....

yet.

Food-- I don't put food in caches personaly although the cache item I have had the most problem with is anything liquid. Like kiddy bubbles and such. They have ruined three of my caches total.

Odlaw-- Nice name. Can't wait.

Picnic-- We haven't decided yet but we hope to.

------------------------------------------------

I was curious what peoples thoughts were about certain "food" items being put in caches.

--------------------------------------------------

Food of any kind caches is not a good idea. In fact this website specifically advises against including it in a cache. Animals have an acute sense of smell and are likely to trash your cache to get at the food. I've seen it happen many times.

And who in their right mind would eat something they found in a cache anyway? If I find food in a cache, I take it and toss it.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 21, 2002 at 01:06 PM.]

I'll be in Sacramento for a week in early July. Can anybody recommend some good caches within a few miles of the center of town? We'll be there for a wedding and won't have our serious hiking stuff with us, so we're basically interested in anything that is blow a 3 difficulty rating.

Or can someone provide the zipcode for Sacremento so I can do my own search.

Finally are there any other interesting sites you can recommend. We'll be in town from the 2nd to the 7th, so we'll have a few days to poke around.

The zip for downtown Sacramento is: 95814

There are several caches close in to the State Capitol that are also historically interesting:

Llew Ellyn's Resting Place

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25901

The next three are in the same basic area. Park your car and nab them all!

T.M.L.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22888

Historic City

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7147

Sew Little Time

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9962

The next two are located in historically interesting and important places. Spend some time at each one to get the full experience!

Indo-Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9999

Fish in the City

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9998

If you have some time to spend on the sites, I recommend the Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento, and a tour of the capitol and Sutter's Fort. It's also fun to ride the River Otter Taxi from the L St. landing (near the River City King) to one of the restaurants upriver.

Lesser attractions near downtown are the Towe Auto Museum, William Land Park, and Discovery Park (river access). I am sure there are many more, too.

Have a great time in Sacramento. If you're lucky it'll be a mild 95 degrees. Otherwise, prepare to broil!

--

Bob & Genny

I guess I should clarify that my primary question was whether people felt that the Pez candy packaged by itself and then sealed in the bag with the Pez dispenser would attract critters?

I suspect the answer is yes and we are all better off not including it, but I've definately seen evidence of differing viewpoints.

Thanks for the input so far.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'll be in Sacramento for a week in early July. Can anybody recommend some good caches within a few miles of the center of town? We'll be there for a wedding and won't have our serious hiking stuff with us, so we're basically interested in anything that is blow a 3 difficulty rating.

Here are a couple caches that are a little unusual.

Goethe's Garden

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10478

Hangin' Tree

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22650

You could only do part of it, but Survivor Sacramento is considered by many to be the best in the Sacramento Area. I think you should visit the first location and then when you get home, you can do some of the other stages. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9722

Park you car near Watt Avenue and the American River and spend an evening walking on the bike path along the river and finding caches. I think the nearest cache to this starting point is Leggo My Llama.

Not only would I not put food in any caches, but I wouldn't put any smelly items like lip balm, gum or bath oils in ones in the mts. Bears go after everything and maybe ants like that stuff in the valley. Leave only the pez dispenser.

I agree I would not eat food found in a cache.

I think it would be fun to do food caches during a geo picnic event, ones that would only be out for an hour or two, just so we can all get that neat food snack placement out of our systems.

I had a thought for stage 8 and even for 7 of waldos poker game. Deal the cards to the players at a getogether near the end of the game (or hide them in caches at the picnic). That way I could hand out the certificates directly to the the winners. The last friday if we play it out would be Aug 2. So any picnic in that timeframe plus or minus would work. I would also suggest lake Natomas for a picnic. The end by Nimbus dam has more facilities and Negro Bar at the other end was the locale for a Geocaching picnic that turned out very well.

I think an Aug 3 picnic at Nimbus Dam is a great idea. I volunteer to help Jeo and C.

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo:

I had a thought for stage 8 and even for 7 of waldos poker game. Deal the cards to the players at a getogether near the end of the game (or hide them in caches at the picnic). That way I could hand out the certificates directly to the the winners. The last friday if we play it out would be Aug 2. So any picnic in that timeframe plus or minus would work. I would also suggest lake Natomas for a picnic. The end by Nimbus dam has more facilities and Negro Bar at the other end was the locale for a Geocaching picnic that turned out very well.

Plan it and they will come! Sorry we cannot offer our help. We are tapped out this summer from our other hobby (Miatas). We would love to attend, however. Aug. 3 works for us and Brandie (cache hound).

On another subject...

We recently returned from New England where we searched for 22 caches and found 19. It was cool to see how the east coasters hide and stock their caches. We saw some wonderful non-tourist areas over the two weeks, all thanks to this great sport.

We especially enjoyed one in Rhode Island called The Witch Hunt:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6481

All in all, though, the Sacramento-area caches and cachers seem to be the best. Ok, we're biased and don't have harsh winters to contend with, but our area caches are plentiful with an array of challenge levels with nice people participating to boot.

Ok, we're getting sappy. Happy caching!

Trickster, Red Rover and Brandit

--

Bob & Genny

August 3rd is going to be tight, but I think I can make it. I have a computer workshop (MacNexus) in the morning and I usually teach a class at noon, but if the picnic is in the afternoon, I'll be there when I can get there.

- Rent

Since there doesn't appear to be too much interest in Odlaw's poker game (only 3 people have looked for Card 1), it doesn't make sense to exclude the cachers from Waldo's game. Therefore, if you are playing in Waldo's game, feel free to hunt Oldaw's cards also.

Coordinates for Card 1 have been corrected.

Coordinates for Card 2 will be posted late tonight. Card 2 is on north side of Folsom Lake.

I totaly forgot about Orangevale Park for a picnic. Waldo stopped by today and noticed that there are tennis courts, horseshoe pits, frisbee golf and a volleyball area. Oh yeah and there are a lot of hiding places. We (Waldo and I) are thinking Aug 3 for the date of the picnic, now we have to come up with a time. August tends to be hot so maybe earlier 11-12am or after 6pm???

Location 3 is now posted (Saturday at 7:50 am - late this time, I forgot what day of the week it was!). Remember, locations 1 and 2 are still active! Feel free to visit all three sites and snag cards!

(Hey Jeo, Feel free to visit Over the River's new Stage 3 cache location. It is kind of close to the current Oldaw Location 3)

[This message was edited by glenn95630 on July 06, 2002 at 08:13 AM.]

Hello all

Does anyone need a dog???? A nice little stray has adopted us, and we must find him a home. I have an ad in the paper and several other places as well, but this lil' guy's people don't seem to be looking for him. I am wondering if maybe someone just dumped him out here in the country icon_mad.gif

Anyway, this is a neutered male cattle dog..probably about 5-7 years old. He is very, very friendly and mellow. He doesn't seem to care much for cats, but that is part of the nature of cattle dogs..they want to chase them. He and my cats keep having these marathon standoffs, but he hasn't done anything really threatening to them.

I am sure he would make a wonderful caching companion! When I let him out of the yard, he stays really close to me and doesn't seem to want to roam anywhere.

Soooo, anyone "need" a really nice dog?? Or, does anyone know of another person who might be interested?? I can't keep him because I already have a zoo here, but I also will not take him to the pound. Help!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I would love to help Jaimee...I love dogs. However, I have a three senior pets right now that require a lot of attention. Oh.....and two of them are feisty cats.... Poor little guy! I will ask around anyhow.

Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hello all

Does anyone need a dog???? A nice little stray has adopted us, and we must find him a home.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."