Release Notes (Geocaching Forums)- August 2, 2021

Today we have upgraded the software used to power the Geocaching forums.

This upgrade does not include any major functionality changes. However, the software provider, Invision, has made a few user interface (UI) changes.

For example, previously some users had forum titles displayed under their username. For most users, their Geocaching membership status was displayed. Others had a customized forum title from when titles could be added and edited (ex. Keystone’s “Everything in Moderation” title shown in this screenshot taken prior to the software upgrade).

rWUnAmbKlYtRwW07MWVjP4718SbDuMstxigDGv6S

The functionality to add/edit forum titles was actually removed with an Invision update long ago, but the titles remained visible for anyone who had added them before those software updates. With today’s update, the title field is gone.

DV25UQAL_xArOrsTGxifGyeAMy6NDhQ8ZCJlo_X8

Another Invision change is that reputation points no longer appear under a user’s avatar. You can hover over the user’s avatar, which produces a new box with information including that user’s reputation points.

Chris (Rock Chalk) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Surprised 1
16 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Today we have upgraded the software used to power the Geocaching forums.

This upgrade does not include any major functionality changes. However, the software provider, Invision, has made a few user interface (UI) changes.

For example, previously some users had forum titles displayed under their username. For most users, their Geocaching membership status was displayed. Others had a customized forum title from when titles could be added and edited (ex. Keystone’s “Everything in Moderation” title shown in this screenshot taken prior to the software upgrade).

rWUnAmbKlYtRwW07MWVjP4718SbDuMstxigDGv6S

The functionality to add/edit forum titles was actually removed with an Invision update long ago, but the titles remained visible for anyone who had added them before those software updates. With today’s update, the title field is gone.

DV25UQAL_xArOrsTGxifGyeAMy6NDhQ8ZCJlo_X8

Another Invision change is that reputation points no longer appear under a user’s avatar. You can hover over the user’s avatar, which produces a new box with information including that user’s reputation points.

Chris (Rock Chalk) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

When will you remove the place(s) on the web site where the "Forum Title" is typed and saved?  It keeps reminding me that there is a very broken Forum Title (now even more broken by design).

• Upvote 2
On 8/3/2021 at 12:54 AM, Geocaching HQ said:

Why do I have now to move my mouse over the user and wait to see the reputation of the user?

The reputation of a user is a very important piece of information that gives me an imagination about the usual quality of a user's comments and gives me an indication of whether I should read the comment or not.

Why do you make the functionality yet again smaller and worse, instead of making them bigger and better to our delight.

I know, I repeat myself. But I can not understand it, really. It's just sad.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Why do I have now to move my mouse over the user and wait to see the reputation of the user?

The reputation of a user is a very important piece of information that gives me an imagination about the usual quality of a user's comments and gives me an indication of whether I should read the comment or not.

Why do you make the functionality yet again smaller and worse, instead of making them bigger and better to our delight.

I know, I repeat myself. But I can not understand it, really. It's just sad.

As referenced in the original post, Geocaching HQ does not create the forum software. We license it from Invision. The UI change that you referenced was made by them and we cannot alter it.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
On 8/5/2021 at 1:14 AM, 2Abendsegler said:

And then I also say to my customers, sorry, we only license it and cannot change anything.

This is the problem these days when no one seems to do anything themselves, instead there are long chains of licensing and third-party SW. But Geocaching HQ is a paying customer to Invision. Maybe they should be nagging in Invision's forum every time they change their product for the worse?

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
22 hours ago, ChriBli said:

But Geocaching HQ is a paying customer to Invision. Maybe they should be nagging in Invision's forum every time they change their product for the worse?

This forum uses the standard theme of Invision's software with customization for geocaching. It's just a bit more CSS or wysiwyg, the HQ crew should be able to solve those smaller problems by themselves and quickly. The easily changeable low-contrast design problem is a matter of 5 minutes...

(https://invisioncommunity.com/features/content/#forumshttps://invisioncommunity.com/features/customization/)

• Upvote 1