Need to create Trackable for BSA Geocaching Merit Badge

Ohana_2021

Can I make my own trackable item and assign it a single unique number? The knowledgebase stated that I can get a unique tracking number for free, but when I tried to order it, it only gave me the option for the $1.50 which requires a minimum of 150 numbers. The trackable needs to be specific on one part of the Scouting law, so needs to be custom. Any ideas?

You can make your own item, and put a unique code on it - I'm not sure if you can choose the codes though, perhaps when you buy a series? Although I have doubts about it. The easiest way to get a code is to buy a trackable tag and use that code for your custom item.

11 hours ago, Ohana_2021 said:

Can I make my own trackable item and assign it a single unique number? The knowledgebase stated that I can get a unique tracking number for free, but when I tried to order it, it only gave me the option for the $1.50 which requires a minimum of 150 numbers. The trackable needs to be specific on one part of the Scouting law, so needs to be custom. Any ideas?

As lee737 says, a tag may be the way to go.  Buy a sturdy "Trackable tag", and it comes with a permanently inscribed Tracking Code and info on where to log it, AND most important, Geocachers can easily identify it as a "Trackable item".  This is especially true with "Travel Bug" tags, which tend to be discounted when you buy a bunch at once.  Buy enough and shipping is free.  You'll likely have more ideas for Trackables, so it's good to have some on hand.  Securely attach a tag to some inexpensive themed item that will fit into a small container, and you're ready to get started.

Look at the Geocaching Shop.  Sometimes you see great deals on "clearance".  But right now, look at the discount on a set of "Wonders of nature" or "Wonders of the Solar System" tags, or especially these fossil tags that I've never even seen before!  Scouts would love any of those styles. 

You can customize everything on the tag's page except the icon image and the name of the icon.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Ohana_2021 said:

I'm not sure why they have that there.  It just confuses folks, so if curious, you're not even close to the first to ask.  :)

That's meant mostly for manufacturers of coins and tags - bulk lots. 

We know of someone that created/received a unique tracking code for a single trackable, but IIRC, us mere mortals aren't able.

"Trackable" is one of a couple options to choose to do. 

IIRC, the only current requirement for creating a trackable is it's scouting-related and promotes a value.

It says nothing about a special code.  Like others, I'd buy a Travel Bug, and attach something fitting whatever value you're promoting.

Good luck.

• Helpful 1
40 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That's meant mostly for manufacturers of coins and tags - bulk lots. 

+1

The "$1.50" sounds cheap until you add the many other costs of creating a Geocoin design (and the large number of coins tend to all be the same design, name, and unique icon).  People make a Geocoin by saving up, financing the manufacturing, and considering sales profits.  AND they make it as nice a coin as they can afford.  But it's in no way the most inexpensive way to make a Trackable item.

Is "place a Trackable" a task for earning a scout badge?  They should add "Make scout-related cache treasures" to the choice of task.  Swag can be a more challenging thing, especially hand-made.  And as a bonus, there's nothing out there to "maintain" or keep track of forevermore.

7 hours ago, kunarion said:

Buy a sturdy "Trackable tag", and it comes with a permanently inscribed Tracking Code and info on where to log it, AND most important, Geocachers can easily identify it as a "Trackable item". 

+2, one on both points.... :)

You can just inscribe the code onto your item somehow, but then cachers won't immediately recognise it as a TB... I'd use the tag....

5 hours ago, kunarion said:

Is "place a Trackable" a task for earning a scout badge?  They should add "Make scout-related cache treasures" to the choice of task.  Swag can be a more challenging thing, especially hand-made.  And as a bonus, there's nothing out there to "maintain" or keep track of forevermore.

One is create a scouting-related TB that promotes one of the values in scouting.

Another  is set up an hide a public Geocache.

Then there's explain CITO, describe how you practice CITO, host a CITO event, and (I have no idea...) create a CITO container.

- I'm guessing it might be like the film cans we leave with a shopping bag inside.

And then there's visit a dozen locations in a cache-to-eagle series, describe the project, and explain how it helps the public.

I'm guessing the TB is the easiest, with less hassles than the rest...   :)

8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I’m guessing the TB is the easiest, with less hassles than the rest...   :)

Yeah, seems like it would be.  Unless there’s a requirement to release a TB into the wilds, it could be as creative (hard for someone finding it to release it again) as the scouts would like.  Handmade, big as you like.  Then it would be held by the scout, and offered for Discovery at times.

23 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

the only current requirement for creating a trackable is it's scouting-related and promotes a value.

It says nothing about a special code.  Like others, I'd buy a Travel Bug, and attach something fitting whatever value you're promoting.

I'm a Geocaching MB Counselor, and recently worked with a group of scouts on the badge.  One of the requirements gives 4 options, and scouts must complete ONE of them (they CAN do more, but are only required to complete ONE).  Option B states:
"Create a Scouting-related Travel Bug that promotes one of the values of Scouting.  Release your Travel Bug into a public geocache and, with your parents' permission, monitor its progress at www. goecaching. com for 30 days.  Keep a log, and share this with your counselor at the end of the 30-day period."

https://coord.info/TB83DBQ is the bug we "created" as a group; it hasn't moved yet, and I gave the boys a warning that it may be more than 30 days before it does move, and that it may not reach its ambitious goal.  They were still excited to come up with a goal and release it.  Only one cacher has found the cache where the trackable was placed since it was released 2 weeks ago and didn't mention it; it's still showing in the cache.

To the OP - most travel bugs are around $5 - check with your counselor as to where you might get one, maybe at a lower cost (clearance at geocaching. com, another geocacher may be willing to donate one to you, etc)  Your counselor should be able to steer you in the right direction on this one.  

• Surprised 2
21 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I'm a Geocaching MB Counselor, and recently worked with a group of scouts on the badge.  One of the requirements gives 4 options, and scouts must complete ONE of them (they CAN do more, but are only required to complete ONE). 

I guess you missed my post directly after...

19 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

"Create a Scouting-related Travel Bug that promotes one of the values of Scouting.  Release your Travel Bug into a public geocache and, with your parents' permission, monitor its progress at www. goecaching. com for 30 days.  Keep a log, and share this with your counselor at the end of the 30-day period."

That could be quite a challenge, because as you mentioned with that group TB, these things can be slooow to develop activity.  The most important choice would be the cache to place it in.  Which local cache tends to attract the cachers who make a TB "progress", for this short time period?  It might be an interesting research project.

42 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The most important choice would be the cache to place it in. 

We were at a week long camp, about an hour from "home", in a regional park with terrain 2-4 hiking trails; we talked about easily accessible caches (more prone to "muggling") vs those that take a bit more effort to get to (found less often), and also the need to find one large enough to hold the TB.  Of the ones nearest the campsite, taking all factors into account, and the fact that the scouts wanted it left in a cache at the campsite to begin its journey, https://coord.info/GC7XEDJ was chosen.

Due to time constraints, hubby and I made the hike and dropped the TB, with lots of photos to share with the scouts.  

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Which local cache tends to attract the cachers who make a TB "progress", for this short time period?  It might be an interesting research project.

There are a few TB hotels and places to drop TB's closer to home, but the boys opted to leave it at the campground; we'll see what happens to it!

5 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Release your Travel Bug into a public geocache and, with your parents' permission, monitor its progress at www. goecaching. com for 30 days.  Keep a log, and share this with your counselor at the end of the 30-day period.

That  might be a short log.... around here might be....

Day 1. We placed the TB in the cache.

Day 30. It's still there.

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

Yeah, that TB you left in The Great Train Heist in May last year is still sitting there. The cache has had only one visit since then and they didn't move it on. Next time I go out there (which I'd been meaning to do in July but the lockdown beat me to it), I'll retrieve it and drop it in another cache that never gets found.

6 hours ago, lee737 said:

Yeah, I get that.  The cache we placed it in is found on average once or twice a month, especially during the summer months, so I'm hopeful it moves at least once during the 30 days.  Time wil tell...