Collectible Question

Reese486

I have found a really cool geocoin that is marked as collectible - just noticed I have the option to "move it to collection" - what does this mean? I wonder if it was marked as collectible by mistake (owner has very few finds) as it has a clear goal to move from cache to cache or I'm not understanding the proper use of marking it as a collectible. Not being the owner of the coin why would I want to "move to collection"? Help me understand collectibles better.

22 minutes ago, Reese486 said:

I have found a really cool geocoin that is marked as collectible - just noticed I have the option to "move it to collection" - what does this mean? I wonder if it was marked as collectible by mistake (owner has very few finds) as it has a clear goal to move from cache to cache or I'm not understanding the proper use of marking it as a collectible. Not being the owner of the coin why would I want to "move to collection"? Help me understand collectibles better.

Have you read the Help Center information about Collectible?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=41&pgid=250

• Helpful 2
2 hours ago, Reese486 said:

The whole "Collection" system seems to be designed so that owners of large numbers of activated Geocoins can easily manage them.  This includes a "Collectible?" checkbox front-and-center during activation, that 99.999% of ordinary Geocachers don't ever need.  But it seems fun to click!  B)

It's very unlikely that someone would select "Collectible" without then placing it into a Collection right away.  But suppose it's your cool Geocoin, and a cacher on the other side of the world has found it, and wants you to loan it to him indefinitely, for example, to complete a set, which he will now bring to Events.  "The Collection" is suitable for this because there's a record of who is holding it and why they are "keeping" it, while the ownership and conrol remains with the Trackable Owner.  You may set it to "Collectible" in advance, because of the time change -- you'd be asleep when the coin is moved to the Collection.  In that case, you would surely add text to the coin's page so that everyone knows who the intended collector is.  Right?  :anicute:

"Collectible" and "The Collection" are mostly for Owners themselves, with a box of their own coins.  But it's also for honest Geocachers to document the loan of a Geocoin to another player.  For the vast majority of Geocoins, persons find it much simpler to place a coveted coin into a pocket, done.  :ph34r:

One huge error around the Forum is the suggestion that "Marking a Trackable 'Collectible' prevents Geocachers from making 'Grab Logs' on a Trackable".  As you see, "Collectible" merely enables the "Add To Collection" Log, so they missed the important next step!   AND in most cases, the whole "Collection" thing is not appropriate anyway.  If Geocachers are making "Grab" logs on the the coin -- if cachers are messin' with you -- there are other, more suitable ways to deal with that.

If you want to wade into the tall grass on this subject, look at the link Max & 99 posted.  Or many other such threads.

Edited by kunarion
  • Surprised 1
On 7/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Reese486 said:

I have found a really cool geocoin that is marked as collectible - just noticed I have the option to "move it to collection" - what does this mean? I wonder if it was marked as collectible by mistake (owner has very few finds) as it has a clear goal to move from cache to cache or I'm not understanding the proper use of marking it as a collectible.

Not being the owner of the coin why would I want to "move to collection"? Help me understand collectibles better.

I think it's simply poor wording...   It's for people that collect coins they've bought/traded for to remove them from inventory. 

- This was  a plus for collectors, as earlier we had to scroll over hundreds of trackables just to complete a cache log.

"Any geocacher" doesn't mean anyone who finds a coin mistakenly marked collectible can "collect" another person's property....

The other 2/3rds has an extensive collection of coins she bought.  Marked collectible, and now in her collection.

"Collectible" is confusing to many, especially those who like to click buttons.  Not collectible is the default on trackables for that reason...

Max and 99 provided a link.

If the goal is to move cache to cache, I agree, the TO likes to push buttons, and erred.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
alles klar