Any cache owners want to contribute to a global art project?

iPariah

Hey cachefam! IT'S GO TIME! 🚨

🤔 Awhile ago I posted in the main geocaching facebook group asking if any cache owners would be interested in helping with an ambitious community-driven art project.

🛠️ At the time, I didn't have the software tool available to do what was needed for the project so....I took time over the last few weeks to build it!

💡 To recap the premise of the project:

📦 Cache owners place a piece of paper with a QR code into their caches, which allow cache finders to scan and super easily upload a scenic photo (or selfie!) right from the cache location.

🖼️ Once enough photos are submitted, they'll all be compiled into a single photomosaic of an image that really captures the essence of geocaching (I'm open to suggestions!). 

💭 If you're a cache owner and you'd like to be part of the project, all you have to do is print out however many sheets of this public Google Doc you need for your caches (4 "flyers" to a page) and then place the li'l buggers in your caches however you see fit!

Link to the printable Google Doc

Of course, I'd love to hear feedback from any of you on this project and I'm happy to answer any questions about it as well!

I also put together a blog post to explain to non-geocachers what's going on and hopefully introduce some new people to the community:

Cache Art Case Study

🎉 Thanks all for being such a wonderful community and happy caching!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

I guess this would fit pretty well into one of my birdhouse caches. However, there is a matter of security. We live in a time when we are getting more and more wary about unknown websites. Scanning an unknown QR that is not part of the cache, which sends my phone to an unknown website... Is that what we want to do?

Wouldn't it be better to upload the photos to the cache in question, and project is given links to all participating caches? The best solution would then be that the project makes a script to "scrape" the images from the paricipating caches. Just some ideas.