What is the process for archiving abandoned ALs?

G0ldNugget

I realize ALs are pretty new and GS has been careful about handing them out, but eventually some will become obsolete and unplayable. They don't require a lot of maintenance but most will eventually need editing of some kind. I've had one published for a year and already had to change one of the questions due to changes at one location. What is the process for reporting ALs that NM or NA? Once they are published will they languish on our maps forever, leaving it to the players to sort through the playable ones by rating or reviews?

6 hours ago, G0ldNugget said:

I realize ALs are pretty new and GS has been careful about handing them out, but eventually some will become obsolete and unplayable. They don't require a lot of maintenance but most will eventually need editing of some kind. I've had one published for a year and already had to change one of the questions due to changes at one location. What is the process for reporting ALs that NM or NA? Once they are published will they languish on our maps forever, leaving it to the players to sort through the playable ones by rating or reviews?

You can use the report this adventure link on the adventure lab for situations like this. 

Unfortunately, you can't contact the CO via the app.  You can, however, report a problem to whomever monitors the "Report this Adventure" mailbox.  If you don't mind flipping between apps and poking around, you can try to contact a CO through the Official Geocaching App or via the GC website.

I have contacted a CO while in the field and had favorable results, even though it took some finagling between apps to do it.  However, I was fortunate in that the CO in this instance was actively monitoring his messages and was still an active geocacher.  Since AdLabs are quite new, most COs probably fall into this category because AdLabs haven't been around long enough for many people to abandon them.  However, as time goes on and AdLab proliferation increases,. this is sure to become a problem.  It is well recognized that some COs will sometimes lose interest and walk away from their "normal" caches (or geocaching altogether), so one can expect that some AdLab COs will eventually do likewise.

It would be nice to be able to post a note while the AdLab is in progress, particularly if one has encountered a problem at a stage and, as a result, hasn't been able to complete the entire AdLab to be afforded the one lone logging opportunity. 

• Upvote 2