How to reactivate an archived cache?

Betaride

Caches can be unarchived if they were archived by mistake or similar reasons, within a short time of the cache owner realizing the error.  Your local Community Volunteer Reviewer can assist with such requests.

I looked through your archived caches, and none of them are eligible for unarchival.  Most were archived by a Reviewer due to your failure to respond to maintenance issues.  Please see this Help Center article:  "If a cache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance, it will not be unarchived." 

You archived a few of your own caches, but all more than a decade ago.  If you're referring to one of those, you should submit a new cache page for review rather than asking for the old page to be resurrected from the archives.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
1 hour ago, Former Hawkeye said:

MY reviewer unarchived one of mine, since I only archived it for Covid concerns of my sister in 2020.  I stated the reason in the archiving note.  I was pleased by Geocrater's help in this matter.  It is a family friendly ammo can in Fargo, ND.:)

Curious... Did you cart the ammo can off ?  Thanks.  :) 

We didn't have anyone remove their hides during the virus here, but most said they'd simply Temp Disable them. 

I know of one that's been "under maintenance" with three "Owner Maintenance" logs, which are really "I'm working on it" notes, for 15 months. It seems as long as you continue to post updates the reviewer will take that into consideration. It is NOT in a hard to reach place, it's very close to the CO, but it's a complicated build.

14 hours ago, amaruit said:

Geocaching.com should review this rule, about caches archived for "lack of maintenance".  Many caches are placed in  remote or hard to reach places, and cannot be maintained frequently or according to the whims of the reviewer.

"Whims" ?   You agree to a maintenance plan when putting out a cache, and Maintenance expectations are mentioned in the Help Center. 

- One is "Temporarily disable your cache page when the cache is not available or you need time to fix reported problems." , another is ""If your cache needs to be disabled for a longer time, explain why in a cache log."

Are you saying you're not seeing a warning first, before a cache gets archived by the Reviewer ?

I had a cache Temp-Disabled for over a year.  Every month I left a "Write Note" explaining the area still isn't completed.

I forgot one month, and got a Reviewer note with the standard "this cache seems to be well in excess ..." form.   Fair enough...

Archived it anyway, after the township said it may take another year.  It'd have to be really special to go through that...

14 hours ago, amaruit said:

... whims of the reviewer.

Taking into account the mathematical Cache Health Score algorithm, the automated emails sent for caches with a low Cache Health Score, the automatic appearance of caches in the Reviewer Sweeper Tool if not actioned after the automated notification, and the standards Reviewers are asked by Geocaching HQ to follow when actioning caches in the Reviewer Sweeper Tool, please explain to me where exactly I can take action based on a "whim."  I'd sure like to know.  There are some caches magneted to garbage dumpsters that I'd sure like to disable on a "whim."

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, amaruit said:

Many caches are placed in  remote or hard to reach places, and cannot be maintained frequently or according to the whims of the reviewer.

I agree, but if you're a creative cache hunter, you probably have enough workarounds for such cases.

An example: A box on a remote, hard-to-reach mountain peak is broken. Sometimes it is neither environmentally friendly nor practically prompt to replace the box. But you can immediately write in the listing: "If someone wants to visit the cache soon: A replacement box from me is ready for dispatch. Thank you very much if I can send you the box beforehand." Then you can write a maintenance log: "Listing update." Problem solved.

Greetings Johannis10

• Funny 1
On 9/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, amaruit said:

Geocaching.com should review this rule, about caches archived for "lack of maintenance".  Many caches are placed in  remote or hard to reach places, and cannot be maintained frequently or according to the whims of the reviewer.

There is nothing to review. Between the time that your cache might fall under the microscope of a reviewer and it being archived by a reviewer, you are given plenty of opportunity to either maintain the cache or submit a log explaining your plan to maintain it within a reasonable time frame. If you ignore that and the cache gets archived, that's your fault, not the "whim of a reviewer". Saying that the cache is in a remote area is not an excuse for the cache to not be archived. If you placed it, you agreed to maintain it.

As long as there is communication from the CO, Groundspeak gives quite a bit of slack when it comes to caches that are disabled before they get archived but almost all of the caches that get archived by reviewers happen because the CO doesn't respond at all. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1