Topic for HQ: negative attribute filtering

yuve

Various browsing filters can be applied on the geocaching.com map. Including there is a filter for "positive" attribute selection. Unfortunately, there is no "negative" marking. So - I know that I will never look for caches that require climbing or a boat and I do not want to see them on the map, because they only obscure the image of what is really available to me. Please introduce the "negative" attribute marking function. I know it's possible, because this feature works in several smartphone apps. I also know, that there are plenty of people in the world for whom this feature would enable them to enjoy geocaching better, rather than stressing and frustrating themselves with not being able to find unavailable caches.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and help.

Edited by yuve
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, yuve said:

Various browsing filters can be applied on the geocaching.com map. Including there is a filter for "positive" attribute selection. Unfortunately, there is no "negative" marking. So - I know that I will never look for caches that require climbing or a boat and I do not want to see them on the map, because they only obscure the image of what is really available to me. Please introduce the "negative" attribute marking function. I know it's possible, because this feature works in several smartphone apps. I also know, that there are plenty of people in the world for whom this feature would enable them to enjoy geocaching better, rather than stressing and frustrating themselves with not being able to find unavailable caches.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and help.

We don't know of a single person who's "stressed out" because they can't climb rope.  :D

How is not being able to go after caches you're not comfortable accessing a "negative" thing ?   Put caches you can't do on ignore.  Simple.

That's what Difficulty and Terrain is all about, and filtering by those is easy...

Heck, I'd have thousands of 1.5 or less caches considered "negative".   It has no meaning when it's a personal thing.

Edited by cerberus1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We don't know of a single person who's "stressed out" because they can't climb rope.  :D

How is not being able to go after caches you're not comfortable accessing a "negative" thing ?   Put caches you can't do on ignore.  Simple.

That's what Difficulty and Terrain is all about, and filtering by those is easy...

Heck, I'd have thousands of 1.5 or less caches considered "negative".   It has no meaning when it's a personal thing.

Now you know me :-D (greetings), I'm first, it's impressive, right?

OK, maybe I didn't mean exactly "the stress and frustration of not being able to find inaccessible hiding places." It is quite annoying to try to find among hundreds of points a dozen or so percent available for "regular keshers" and add them to the ignored ones. Most people do not have access to climbing ropes, ice axes, kayaks, space shuttles, or other specialized equipment needed to find hiding places with difficult attributes. Conversely, trying to filter by terrain difficulty doesn't always help, as owners set them up as they see fit and don't always match the actual difficulty level.

I'm a beginner (fortunately "premium") with a statistic of barely 150 finds, so these are just my basic observations of the usability of the website and application from the point of view of a "newbie". I just want geocaching to be more functional and fun. That `s bad?

Best Regards To All

• Funny 1

If you log out of these forums and then log back in the forum will show your account as Premium.  Not that this is terribly important.

I understand your suggestion, but I don't see how it would work.   I think you should be filtering for Terrain 4 or less.  Yes, there will be some badly rated caches in that group, but for the most part, at T 4 and under, you won't see caches that require climbing gear or a  boat.

• Helpful 2