unable to enter solved coordinates

Ti Coelha

1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

I'm curious why you would ask for a screenshot instead of providing a simple solution that you yourself use.

To see what the formatting error is, if that's the problem. This is the "bug" forum, and the OP asked if there is a bug. A suggested solution for entering coordinates doesn't answer the question if there's a bug. Just trying to help the OP figure out what's wrong.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

To see what the formatting error is, if that's the problem. This is the "bug" forum, and the OP asked if there is a bug. A suggested solution for entering coordinates doesn't answer the question if there's a bug. Just trying to help the OP figure out what's wrong.

Fair enough.  I have the system set up to take me to the next unread in a variety of forums so I lose track of which I’m in. 

Thank you all for your help, but meanwhile I noticed it accepts other unrelated coordinates. I choosed a random geocache and used its coordinates in the one I'm looking and it worked. I decided to message the owner, since it seems that the issue it's in all the caches of the same PT.

I'll inform here what happened (if I found out), maybe it will help spmepne in the future or... not! :D

• Surprised 1

The CO has no control over what coordinates are accepted when you enter solved coordinates. The only thing they have control over is what the final coords are in a checker (which doesn't seem to be what you're talking about here) - and that wouldn't accept random coords from other caches.

Chances are there was a formatting issue with the coordinates you were trying to enter. If you copy/pasted from another cache, it would be the correct format by default. Look carefully at how they are entered vs. the coords you tried to enter the first time. Only the numbers should be different. The decimals and other formatting should all be exactly the same.

Edited by TriciaG
Clarification
  • Upvote 1
On 7/22/2021 at 12:31 AM, Ti Coelha said:

Hi. I'm trying to enter solved coordinates in some mistery caches and it keeps saying

"Sorry unable to parse the coordinates you entered."

I'm sure I introduce them right.

Bug?

Take out the degree circle, such as after the 5 of this example. That's the problem.

S 35°

On 7/24/2021 at 6:08 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Take out the degree circle, such as after the 5 of this example. That's the problem.

S 35°

More than likely. The OP mentioned that this is a powertrail, or more accurately probably a geo-art where the final coordinates for each cache are hidden in the description. The CO has probably incorrectly used the "masculine ordinal indicator" character (º) rather than the proper "degree" character (°). The latter is accepted by the corrected coordinates feature, but the former isn't and gives you an error, so copying-and-pasting the coordinates containing the wrong character won't work. The CO of the powertrail would need to update all of their descriptions to use the proper character. As a workaround until they do, finders could copy-and-paste, but then remove the ordinal character (º) before submitting the corrected coordinates.

8 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

More than likely. The OP mentioned that this is a powertrail, or more accurately probably a geo-art where the final coordinates for each cache are hidden in the description. The CO has probably incorrectly used the "masculine ordinal indicator" character (º) rather than the proper "degree" character (°). The latter is accepted by the corrected coordinates feature, but the former isn't and gives you an error, so copying-and-pasting the coordinates containing the wrong character won't work. The CO of the powertrail would need to update all of their descriptions to use the proper character. As a workaround until they do, finders could copy-and-paste, but then remove the ordinal character (º) before submitting the corrected coordinates.

That makes sense to me.

However when I mentioned copy and paste I was referring to the posted coordinates. I copy and paste the posted coordinates after hitting the pencil icon to update them. That I just change whichever digits are different and submit.

But I understand what you're saying and that makes sense in this situation.

• Upvote 1