Help with Oregon screen issues. Black horizontal lines across screen.

Hi fellow tupperware tamers, I wonder if someone can help.

My trusty Oregon 450 has had three black lines appear horizontally across the screen. Two a few months ago and another today.

I'm assuming the screen is knackered. Garmin won't replace as it's discontinued but I'm not in the habit of throwing stuff away that can be repaired.

I'm hoping this can.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to buy to fix this? I'm confused if I just need a screen replacement or a digitiser or are they the same?

I've changed iphone bits and bats over the years I just need to know which bit to change!

All help appreciated.

IMG_5701.JPG

The digitizer is a layer over the LCD screen.  I replaced one before because of the digitizer, and it came with the screen, all together.

I can’t find the previous thread about it, but one possibility was moisture.  You should try to remove all possible moisture, see if it helps.  Even if it’s just placing it in a big bucket of silica gel crystal kitty litter for a while.

Here’s a “drying a phone” article that has a lot of ideas:

https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/04/30/immersion-therapy-save-phone-water-damage/

I had something similar happen to me with my Oregon 600. I took the batteries out and let it sit for a while (weeks to months) and the problem just went away. I'm not sure if it was moisture or overheating, but something interfered with the electrical signal going to the pixels and time seemed to fix it.

47 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I had something similar happen to me with my Oregon 600. I took the batteries out and let it sit for a while (weeks to months) and the problem just went away. I'm not sure if it was moisture or overheating, but something interfered with the electrical signal going to the pixels and time seemed to fix it.

That was this thread.  Has it remained fine ever since?