Introducing Reach the Peak

16 minutes ago, HHL said:

No. You get 500 for the first 4 locations. Then you get 125 for the additional fifth location. You will get additional 975 for the completion of the entire AdLab.

That's 1500 for an entire completed AdLab. Last month we had got 2250.

Hmmm... also says "The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 975 points."

The logging last AL location needed to complete the entire AL series should not have 125 + 975 points, only 975 points max. Or, is the completion of the entire AL series counted as a 'separate cache log'???

30 minutes ago, HHL said:
34 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:

also says "The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 975 points."

Yes, That's to avoid letting people think a favourite Multi could get 850 + 700 points.

Finding Lab stations and completing the AdventureLab seem to count as different actions.

Also I find it interesting they describe it explicitly as "cache log".  That makes me think the max does not apply to adventure lab locations or sets, which do not have cache logs as they are not geocache[ listing]s.

• Upvote 2
21 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Also I find it interesting they describe it explicitly as "cache log".  That makes me think the max does not apply to adventure lab locations or sets, which do not have cache logs as they are not geocache[ listing]s.

That's because Adventure Labs aren't geocaches.  I'm not saying they're bad, this isn't meant to be critical, they're just different.  They don't share the same attributes as geocaches and that's why I'm guessing they have trouble integrating with each other.  In software UML terms I see it like this:

image.png.9fe848b110995b1c11f2a7e621ce6db0.png

I'd love to see the two integrated more in the future, something like this

image.png.3c931121894a880139440630a15d702c.png

HQ, let me know if you need a software engineer to join your team.  :)

• Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:
21 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

That's because Adventure Labs aren't geocaches.  I'm not saying they're bad, this isn't meant to be critical, they're just different.  They don't share the same attributes as geocaches and that's why I'm guessing they have trouble integrating with each other.

Absolutely. I've been saying this since they first arrived and people got confused. :P Different data tables, different fields, the only real front-facing commonality is a name, location, description, and completed or not, which is why they're not in stats - the properties aren't there to track.  It's an coding exception that those available properties are included where possible in the stats.

Anyway, this wasn't a technical subject... just pointing out that the 'max' points are per "cache log", and ALs don't have cache logs, thus the point sum includes each location plus the amount for completed set.  Love it or hate. :drama:

23 minutes ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I am glad this is the last month of this promotion. 

Same here - I do like souvenirs, don't get me wrong.... BUT..... I'd like to see more challenging promotions - like finding specific types of caches, specific attributes - whatever - something to send us out of our usual zone. Getting the souvenirs is still too easy, we generally forget we are even chasing them, and they are just passively gathered.

Make us search, hunt a bit please..... after all - that's what the game is about.....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I am glad this is the last month of this promotion.  I will need to 'reach the peak', but I won't have to worry about going over and trying to save nearby caches so I can use them another month instead.

I have quite a different problem.  There is one unfound cache within walking distance of my house and I'm saving that for when I really need one.  The other 6 caches within 25Km straight line distance are all T3+, long hikes and I am simply not physically capable od doing those.

So, to get these souvenirs I do have to plan a day's trip, driving a minimum of an hour to the start point of my hunt.  I have to plan which combination of caches will get me the points, allowing for plan B if I DNF the really high-scoring ones.

This is my plan for 22/2/22.  Drive 1 hour to Nelligen and do the adventure there, plus a bonus and one extra trad.  Get the Earthcache at Larbert, plus one trad and continue on to Bungendore for another adventure, two caches with 20+ FPs and whatever I need from the power trail there.  That is 2 hours each way non-stop, plus probably 4 hours caching time.

You can see, near Milton, how many unfound caches are near home.  Apart from the 1 trad they are all out bush, hard terrain.  Even if I were capable of them they wouldn't get me the points.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Gill & Tony
On 2/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, Max and 99 said:

If the adventure lab has 10 locations then I get 10 x 125 + 975?

I'm confused.

If the max is 975, am I better off doing nine stages and not completing the adventure lab?

My question as well. If a 5 stop ALC gets you 1600 points then I would get 2225 points for a 10 stop ALC?

Genevieve probably wrote the wrong numbers on the blog. OK, her fault.

But informations from this blog are promoted all week, also are taken over by regional websites and local Facebook groups.

If something is found to be wrong after a week, in my opinion, should be changed what is public only for a while. In this case, the points in the application.

To change (moreover in silence) a week old and many times shared article on a blog is not an appropriate solution.

EDIT: If anyone thinks my post is funny, it may be due to my imperfect English. In that case, it's better to correct me ;).

Edited by KRON family
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
4 hours ago, KRON family said:

But informations from this blog are promoted all week, also are taken over by regional websites and local Facebook groups.

If something is found to be wrong after a week, in my opinion, should be changed what is public only for a while. In this case, the points in the application.

You make a good point!

However, the mistake on the app and leaderboard gives you more points so it is in your favor! 

I was finally able to confirm that geocachers are getting the higher benefit points. 

Edited by Max and 99
On 2/4/2022 at 3:42 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

I am glad this is the last month of this promotion.  I will need to 'reach the peak', but I won't have to worry about going over and trying to save nearby caches so I can use them another month instead.

Well... turns out you don't have to save them. :-) But here is something I discovered... and I presume it is a bug - @Max and 99 maybe you know or want to check: it is giving credit for any log: DNF *or* find. How do I know? I looked to see where a friend was caching today and they had a cache listed that I DNFd. I looked at the cache logs and they had posted a DNF too! But they got 425 points for that!!!! 

3 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

Well... turns out you don't have to save them. :-) But here is something I discovered... and I presume it is a bug - @Max and 99 maybe you know or want to check: it is giving credit for any log: DNF *or* find. How do I know? I looked to see where a friend was caching today and they had a cache listed that I DNFd. I looked at the cache logs and they had posted a DNF too! But they got 425 points for that!!!! 

Any chance that since found it is the default log that they accidentally logged a found it, got the points, and then changed it to a dnf? 

10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Any chance that since found it is the default log that they accidentally logged a found it, got the points, and then changed it to a dnf? 

Very doubtful, since they actually logged a needs maintenance too. I'll test it. I will log a DNF I never bothered logging. Will report back! 

5 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

Very doubtful, since they actually logged a needs maintenance too. I'll test it. I will log a DNF I never bothered logging. Will report back! 

Ok not only did it give me points but it popped up the annoying "You earned a souvenir" that it pops up repeatedly even if you earned it 5 logs ago!

Refreshed leaderboard and it disappeared. Weird. The friend's is still there.  I'll try posting a find on a friend's cache then delete and see if the points stick. I also just noticed the one my friend got points for: he posted two DNF logs (perhaps accidentally) and the needs mainteance log shows separately too, as usual.

Edited by CCFwasG
update
  • Funny 1
3 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

Ok not only did it give me points but it popped up the annoying "You earned a souvenir" that it pops up repeatedly even if you earned it 5 logs ago!

Refreshed leaderboard and it disappeared. Weird. The friend's is still there.  I'll try posting a find on a friend's cache then delete and see if the points stick. I also just noticed the one my friend got points for: he posted two DNF logs (perhaps accidentally) and the needs mainteance log shows separately too, as usual.

Oh I already know the points will stick if you accidentally log a found it and change it to something else!

• Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Oh I already know the points will stick if you accidentally log a found it and change it to something else!

Ok done. Correct (of course)... so I guess that must be what my friend did. Mystery solved. But it is a bit odd. (I feel a little badly about the extra 425 I now have but at least I am not on the top of my leaderboard so shouldn't matter. Depending how pedantic one is.... ;)

On 2/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, CCFwasG said:

Now wondering if the points the person I was talking about were awarded for a "maintenance" log....?!?!?!?!? Bizarre!

I don't think so, unless they also logged a find on the same cache.  Went seeking a few caches yesterday to help fulfill a new challenge our son came up with...and of the 8 we sought, 3 needed maintenance, and 2 of those 3 were DNF's.  I'm the one of us that gets to log all the DNF's and NM's when we go out together (no point in two duplicate logs if it we were both there at the same time!)  Our Reach the Peak points are the same, so it only counted Finds, not the DNF's or NM's (2 of those logged) or NM's (on 3; 1 Find, 2 DNF's).

3 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

There had been a bug where logging a cache as found gave you points, deleting the found log did not erase the points, and then logging it as found again would award you points again. Maybe it's been fixed?

The first part of it at least hasn't been fixed. Last night I meant to log a WN on a challenge cache I'd signed the log on but haven't yet qualified for, but got caught out by the ridiculous default log type again and accidentally logged it as found. I immediately deleted that log then relogged as a WN but Reach the Peak is still showing it and giving me 900 points for it.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:54 PM, Reno8 said:

Surprised you don't get any points for attending an event. Best part of caching.

I'm with you on this too. However, this is just a guess:
I think with COVID still spreading when this was designed, they didn't want to encourage event attendance or disadvantage anyone living in an area where events/gatherings might still be banned. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:54 PM, Reno8 said:

Surprised you don't get any points for attending an event. Best part of caching.

We DO get credit for attending an event today for the Deuces Wild souvenir though - and the timing worked out that I need only one more find to Reach the Peak for Everest.   So, today we will attend a CITO event, and find one other cache, me the Deuces WIld souvenir, the cache find will put me over the top for Reach the Peak Everest, AND I will have completed all 14 of the Reach the Peak Basecamp/Peak challenges.  3 souvenirs today, anticipated!  If only this was March, I could get the Season 1 CITO as well!