Introducing Reach the Peak

Inspired by the mountaineering challenge of reaching the summits of the tallest mountains on all seven continents, we’re inviting you on a challenge to reach new heights in geocaching. The challenge begins with our first mountain, Puncak Jaya, the highest peak on the continent of Oceania. Starting August 2, find geocaches and Adventures to earn up to two souvenirs, the Puncak Jaya Basecamp and Puncak Jaya Summit souvenirs.

New leaderboard challenge: Reach the Peak

Inspired by the mountaineering challenge of reaching the summits of the tallest mountains on all seven continents, we’re inviting you on a challenge to reach new heights in geocaching. Over seven months, geocachers have the chance to earn up to two souvenirs each month. Players who earn all 14 souvenirs will earn an additional meta souvenir for completing each month of the challenge.

The challenge begins with our first mountain, Puncak Jaya, the highest peak on the continent of Oceania. Starting August 2, find geocaches and Adventures to earn up to two souvenirs, the Puncak Jaya Basecamp and Puncak Jaya Summit souvenirs.

How do I participate?

From August 2 at noon UTC through March 6, 2022, collect points by logging geocaches and Adventure Locations. Earn up to two new souvenirs each month of the challenge by collecting enough points to “reach the summit” of each month’s mountain.

Can I join the challenge at any time?

Yes! The challenge is ongoing from August 2 at noon UTC through March 6, 2022. Cachers who join in the challenge later on will only be able to earn souvenirs available for the specific months when their finds are logged.

Can I still earn the Peak Performer meta souvenir if I start after August?

To earn the Peak Performer meta souvenir you must earn the two available souvenirs for each month of the challenge. It is not possible to complete past months’ challenges. If you want to earn the Peak Performer souvenir you have to start with the August challenge.

How can I earn points?

Each month will have different point values for different types of finds. We will share the new set of values on the last Tuesday of every month before the leaderboard refreshes and resets to zero on the first Monday of each month during the challenge.

For the first month of the challenge geocachers must collect 325 points to earn the Puncak Jaya Basecamp souvenir and 4,884 points to earn the Puncak Jaya summit souvenir.

Here are the point values for the first month of the challenge:

Found a Multi-Cache 600
Found a Mystery Cache 500
Found an EarthCache 450
Found an Adventure Location 350
Found it* 325
*Log a Found it on any other cache type

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 600 points.

What are the souvenirs I can earn?

Reach the Peak: Puncak Jaya Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Puncak Jaya Summit
Reach the Peak: Vinson Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Vinson Summit
Reach the Peak: Elbrus Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Elbrus Summit
Reach the Peak: Kilimanjaro Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Kilimanjaro Summit
Reach the Peak: Denali Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Denali Summit
Reach the Peak: Aconcagua Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Aconcagua Summit
Reach the Peak: Everest Basecamp
Reach the Peak: Everest Summit
Reach the Peak: Peak Performer

How to play

From Monday August 2 at noon UTC through March 6, 2022, find geocaches and Adventures to collect points on the geocaching leaderboard and earn new souvenirs.

Each month features one of seven mountains and geocachers can earn up to two souvenirs for each, a basecamp souvenir and a summit souvenir. The points required to earn the summit souvenir each month will correspond to the height of that month’s mountain. For example, Puncak Jaya is 4,884 meters tall so cachers must “reach the height” of 4,884 points to earn the Puncak Jaya summit souvenir.

The leaderboard will refresh with a new mountain and goal on the first Monday of each month and will reset to zero points. Each month the leaderboard will have different point values for different types of finds. Geocachers who earn all 14 souvenirs will earn an additional meta souvenir.

How do I find Adventures?

Download the Adventure Lab® app for Android or iOS and start playing!

• Open the app, go to your profile, and log in with your Geocaching account.
  • Select a nearby Adventure from the map or the directory list. Read the description to learn more.
  • Tap Start and navigate to the nearest available Location.
  • Follow the instructions in the description. Find and enter the Location answer.
  • After submitting the correct answer, you earn a find for your geocaching statistics and points on your leaderboard.
  • Visit all Locations. Enter the solution for each Location to complete the Adventure. Be sure to rate it and share your experience!

Are Adventures in the Geocaching® app?

Yes! Premium members can see Adventure Lab pins on the Geocaching® app map.

What about COVID-19?

We encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority.

Our goal is to have a promotion that is both fun and safe. As such, we will continue to make any adjustments as needed so that the promotion is as inclusive as possible.

Where can I see my souvenirs?

As soon as you collect a certain number of points, the associated souvenir will automatically be awarded to your profile. The souvenirs appear on your profile on Geocaching.com and in the Geocaching® app under the souvenir tab.

Is this souvenir challenge in the Geocaching app and the Adventure Lab app?

Geocaching app: Reach the Peak will be in the Geocaching app at the beginning of the challenge on August 2, and will be accessible until March 6, 2022. Go to your profile and tap on Reach the Peak to see your progress in the Geocaching® app.

Adventure Lab app: The challenge and your souvenirs are not accessible in the Adventure Lab app at this time, however the Geocaching Leaderboard will still reflect points for completed Adventure Locations.

My points aren’t adding up correctly, help!

• If you change a Write Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized in Reach the Peak.
  • You logged on Monday, August 2 before noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC—which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise, the points will not count for the first week.
  • You saved a Draft on a Monday, August 2 before noon UTC.

If you have already posted your logs, select “View / Edit Log / Images,” then click the pen icon and “Submit Log Entry” on the website*. Your logs should now be counted towards your total.

*At this time, you can only edit your logs on Geocaching.com, not in the Geocaching® app.

What does UTC stand for?

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the basis for civil time today. It is the time standard (not a time zone) commonly used across the world. You can convert UTC to your local time here.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
24 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Geocachers who earn all 14 souvenirs will earn an additional meta souvenir.

25 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Reach the Peak: Peak Performer

Are these the same things? It's the 15th listing of the souvenirs so I assume that is what they were referring to.

• Upvote 1

I'm a fan of this theme.

I'm guessing every month/mountain, the basecamp will effectively be "find one geocache/adventure".  The peaks I believe are increasingly higher altitudes, which is great, even though they'll probably be reached with a handful of finds per month.

Nonetheless, it's still an opportunity to instill your own 'fun' into the effort by following the theme. Maybe find actual qualifying caches at altitude to reach those 'summits'. Or only find caches that are mountain themed, or require climbing hills, or whatever...

Another benefit, being monthly, they could in theory make adjustments to point values based on the completion rates and difficulties people express month to month.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
3 hours ago, K13 said:

I jave never heard of a continent called Oceania. The seven continents recognized by most sources are Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America.

Oceania seems to be a regional term... the continent is still called Australia, as it is composed of the Australian tectonic plate.

9 hours ago, WaywardWoman said:

Much of Australia is in lockdown atm. If we are still like this in August, we may miss the first month and last souvenir. Is there any leeway for countries like ours in this situation again?

I feel for you all in the Sydney region.... our luck has so far held up in the Hunter, for how long nobody knows?

On 7/21/2021 at 7:55 AM, CachedIronSkillet said:

In the past I've complained that this type of monthly souvenir is too easy to earn, but given the worldwide COVID situation needing fifteen or fewer caches in a month feels about right.

Maybe they can mix some more difficult ones in.  Like with this theme, I really thought for a moment that the souvenirs would be earned by finding geocaches at these locations.  Or, at the very least, those of high altitude.  But I can already hear the complaints:

People who can't or likely won't travel to these places.  I already fit in that category, for the most part.  I likely won't be making my way to Kilimanjaro or, if I did, it would be on an entirely different timeline without much regard to this reward.  BUT, if there was one in my state it might just inspire me to give it a go.  Obviously not an Everest type climb but I hear Kilimanjaro is not much more than a walking trail (with elevation, naturally.)  Something like that.

What about those who already logged the cache?

What about liars/fakers?  Always a problem.

And on and on....

I can imagine their thinking, though.  They are more interested in generating more interest and activity for many caches and cachers than having some hard-won awards for a small subset.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? A souvenir about mountaneering that doesn't even give a bonus for high T? I see the point with the all-including style, but why not a bonus for high T (which then gives a bonus for climbing mountains - as well as other high T caches but that is hard to avoid). Or a bonus for high altitudes. Nothing mandatory, just a little bonus for being on the theme.

• Upvote 7
  • Funny 1
27 minutes ago, Ragnemalm said:

Seriously? A souvenir about mountaneering that doesn't even give a bonus for high T? I see the point with the all-including style, but why not a bonus for high T (which then gives a bonus for climbing mountains - as well as other high T caches but that is hard to avoid). Or a bonus for high altitudes. Nothing mandatory, just a little bonus for being on the theme.

Did they just miss this opportunity? Or would that not be 'fair'?

53 minutes ago, Ragnemalm said:

Or maybe a bonus for the Difficult Climb and Climbing Gear Required attributes?

Incidently, most of the T5s around here are boat access so are the antithesis of mountain peaks. A good (or is that bad?) percentage of T4.5s are also boat access with that rating used as a T5-lite instead of being Extremely demanding movement over potentially hazardous terrain. One of my pet irks.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 4
27 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

A good (or is that bad?) percentage of T4.5s are also boat access with that rating used as a T5-lite instead of being Extremely demanding movement over potentially hazardous terrain.

I've always thought T4.5 and T5 were put the wrong way around with their descriptions....

2 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I've always thought T4.5 and T5 were put the wrong way around with their descriptions....

It depends on the special equipment I suppose. For boats and ladders, yep definitely, maybe they should be T0?

Globally, 42% of T5s have the boat required attribute and 24% have the tree climb attribute and about 1% have the scuba attribute, so I guess most of the remaining 33% are mountain or rock climbing ones.

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

Seriously? A souvenir about mountaneering that doesn't even give a bonus for high T? 

9 hours ago, lee737 said:

Did they just miss this opportunity? Or would that not be 'fair'?

Yeah...  I saw the theme, and read "Inspired by the mountaineering challenge of reaching the summits of the tallest mountains on all seven continents, we’re inviting you on a challenge to reach new heights in geocaching.", and thought "finally a promotion right up my alley."

Nope...

• Upvote 1

Living in Florida I hate these August souvenirs. It is an especially hot and miserable summer this year.

This one manages to cut both ways as I expect those in northern latitudes will find it daunting to complete the Jan and Feb souvenirs if we have a typical winter.

10 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

This still better than the adrenaline junkie souvenir that required only 8 lamp post cache in a month...

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Living in Florida I hate these August souvenirs. It is an especially hot and miserable summer this year.

This one manages to cut both ways as I expect those in northern latitudes will find it daunting to complete the Jan and Feb souvenirs if we have a typical winter.

Also a problem that the tallest mountain in your state is SPACE Mountain, right?

<chuckle>

• Funny 3
5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Kinda reminds me how people think the way to enjoy summer is to stand around a fire outside.  Some company BBQ in a week.  In August in Texas.  I want a BBQ in the winter.

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, fizzymagic said:

Just so you have an idea of what will be required, here are the elevations of the summits:

Puncak Jaya Summit     4884 m
Vinson Summit          4892 m
Elbrus Summit          5642 m
Kilimanjaro Summit     5895 m
Denali Summit          6190 m
Aconcagua Summit       6961 m
Everest Summit         8849 m

But.... 

Each month will have different point values for different types of finds.

I wonder if the requirements each month will be similar? ie averaging around a dozen/month...

On 7/25/2021 at 4:18 PM, lee737 said:

But.... 

I wonder if the requirements each month will be similar? ie averaging around a dozen/month...

I am guessing that the point values for different types of caches will change, but the range will stay the same.  so 325 points for a generic find and up to 600 for a preferred type.

At 325 points per find, that would only be 20 caches for Denali, which is one of the highest.  At 600 points, it would only require 10.

I think it took me 20-something finds to finish the last challenge.  So this one is more or less in keeping with previous ones, with shorter timeframes for each.

Edited by fizzymagic
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
23 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Also a problem that the tallest mountain in your state is SPACE Mountain, right?

<chuckle>

33 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I think it's actually one of the Mount Trashmores along I-95 or the Turnpike. :ph34r:

Boy, I remember the first time I rode that particular roller coaster back in '78 (I think), a Disney employee pointed out to me that for a moment I was higher than anyone else in the state of Florida, to which I replied, "I wish!"

• Funny 4
3 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

Yes, why not? And as long as it is a bonus, and not a requirement for completing the souvenir, nobody is excluded.

I think souvenirs should come with Project-GC like badges or in different colours (bronze/silver/gold etc) for varying levels of participation/achievement. This souvenir set would lend itself nicely to this, with attribute collecting etc....

• Upvote 1

@elrojo14, another "unchallenge" opportunity?  I've managed to collect all of the souvenirs on previous unchallenges without making any extra effort to do so; it just happened.  This particular promo/challenge may not just happen.  We are currently in the midst of a kitchen reodel and geocaching is not on the list of things to do each day!  I may be able to manage one cache, and get the Basecamp souvenir each month, but I don't think I'll be able to "Reach the Peak" without planning to do so!

I like the idea of a new challenge each month - and the points needed increase each month as well, so it's  a bit more of a challenge than previous souvenir opportunitues, IMO.  At least this first month, I'm not going to be able to make any effort to reach the peak, so we'll see what happens.

• Surprised 1
On 7/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

We in the north don't hibernate in the winter. We might slow down a bit, but we do get out and satisfy our geocaching itch. No bugs or poison plants to deal with. Winter is the time for island caches if you don't own a boat. I've cached in sub-zero weather and had fun. Those living in colder climates know how to handle winter and enjoy it.

3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

@elrojo14, another "unchallenge" opportunity?  I've managed to collect all of the souvenirs on previous unchallenges without making any extra effort to do so; it just happened.  This particular promo/challenge may not just happen.  We are currently in the midst of a kitchen reodel and geocaching is not on the list of things to do each day!  I may be able to manage one cache, and get the Basecamp souvenir each month, but I don't think I'll be able to "Reach the Peak" without planning to do so!

I'm likely to miss out on most or all of these souvenirs, even the base camp ones, as I'm caught up in the delta-strain COVID lock-down gripping Sydney and surrounds at the moment, which is likely to continue for much of the remainder of this year. The only unfound caches I have within my permitted "exercise and recreation" area are a few D5 puzzles I have no hope of solving and T4.5 caches I can't reach, so I expect I'll soon be setting a new record for my longest caching slump.

Even my unchallenge on the Wonders souvenirs has been thwarted just one Wonder short of completing it. Oh well, I'm sure caching will shine all the brighter once we're set free.

• Surprised 1

There's a beach about an hour or so South of here with a flat path containing a power trail of micros.  They are specially crafted micros and more fun than a bunch of bison tubes.  Anyway,  I went for a nice flat walk at elevation of about 2m, collected 13 there, one trad and one solved puzzle on the way home.  5150 points.   Mission accomplished.

Edited by Gill & Tony
Spelling
  • Funny 4
On 7/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, WaywardWoman said:

Much of Australia is in lockdown atm. If we are still like this in August, we may miss the first month and last souvenir. Is there any leeway for countries like ours in this situation again?

Hopefully HQ will consider the situation in Australia. Maybe leave the souvenirs available a bit longer than the one month planned?

• Funny 3

With COVID-rules becomming less strict in the Netherlands, I will host an event to make people aware of this new souvenir challenge. But apparently, events don't count. A CITO I attended earlier this month didn't earn me any points either. Is it because of COVID that events don't count for these souvenirs?

• Surprised 1
On 8/14/2021 at 12:35 AM, chooknchunk said:

Hopefully HQ will consider the situation in Australia. Maybe leave the souvenirs available a bit longer than the one month planned?

Do the best you can! It is not the end of the world to not achieve all the souvenirs nor is it possible to find all the caches in the world. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. 

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
Just now, MNTA said:

Do the best you can! It is not the end of the world to not achieve all the souvenirs nor is it possible to find all the caches in the world. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. 

I used to think like this, then realized it's only how I feel about it.   :)

Enough people whined about "locationless" caches for the icon (that "stat" thing...) that a variant was created by Groundspeak.

• Upvote 1
On 8/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, Geo-Jeddak said:

With COVID-rules becomming less strict in the Netherlands, I will host an event to make people aware of this new souvenir challenge. But apparently, events don't count. A CITO I attended earlier this month didn't earn me any points either. Is it because of COVID that events don't count for these souvenirs?

On 8/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, lee737 said:

If you're in a tight lockdown, you might be able to at least scrape a basecamp souvenir with GC8NEAT if you haven't already done it.....

If you find just one geocache this coming weekend you'll get two souvenirs, assuming you haven't started Reach the Peak yet.

I'm in the NSW lockdown, but am allowed to exercise within my Local Government Area.  Fortunately, Shoalhaven is pretty big, a bit over 4,500 Sq Km, so I have plenty of places I can drive to and then exercise with a GPS in my hand.

I have one unfound within walking distance of home - I missed FTF so have kept it in reserve - and hope to grab it this weekend for the souvenir.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

Why not points for placing caches?

One of the things I appreciate about Groundspeak is the way they have resisted creating any incentive to hide a cache other than the desire to own and maintain a cache. If they were to offer points for placing caches, then caches would be placed by people interested only in the points, not in owning and maintaining the caches.

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1
43 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, so I wonder what the objection is.  You can earn points for finding caches.  Why not points for placing caches?

ET Highway comes to mind, and there's lots of others already.  Bring a film can, swap for each down the road, no need for any "maintenance".

We've seen how some came by those "points", and fibbers are many.   :D   I'd rather not see hiding get that way too...

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

One of the things I appreciate about Groundspeak is the way they have resisted creating any incentive to hide a cache other than the desire to own and maintain a cache. If they were to offer points for placing caches, then caches would be placed by people interested only in the points, not in owning and maintaining the caches.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

ET Highway comes to mind, and there's lots of others already.  Bring a film can, swap for each down the road, no need for any "maintenance".

We've seen how some came by those "points", and fibbers are many.   :D   I'd rather not see hiding get that way too...

Figured that would be the reasoning.  But some will lie about finding caches, I thought.  But now that I think about it, I can see how  it would be more damaging for people to place low-effort hides than for those to lie about making a find.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

The Reach the Peak leaderboard
resets on September 6

There are only a few days left to make it to the summit of Puncak Jaya before the leaderboard resets and we begin our trek to the top of Vinson, the tallest peak in Antarctica during month two of Reach the Peak.

Cachers must collect 325 points to earn the Vinson Basecamp souvenir and 4,892 points to earn the Vinson Summit souvenir. Check out our blog to see this month’s point values for different types of finds and for more information on how to reach the summit of the next mountain by finding geocaches and Adventures.

Each month of Reach the Peak has different point values for finding geocaches and Adventures. Here are the point values for making the climb to the top of Vinson:

Found a cache with 10 + Favorite points 600
Found an EarthCache 500
Found an Adventure Lab Cache 450
Found a Multi-Cache 450
Found a Mystery Cache 350
Found it* 325
*Log a Found it on any other cache type

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 600 points.

Read our Reach the Peak announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the challenge.

On 8/21/2021 at 8:29 PM, niraD said:

I can see that it would be tempting to make a challenge with the goal "make more caches for me to find" (and I guess some old ones exist), but placing caches for fulfilling a challenge or souvenir would most certainly result in many boring, simple and unmaintained caches.

It is not legal for challenges, and for the same reasons not included in souvenirs. Not all rules make sense but this one does.

However, assuming that such challenges exist, can we see that the result has been bad?

• Upvote 1
On 8/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, CAVinoGal said:

At least this first month, I'm not going= to be able to make any effort to reach the peak, so we'll see what happens.

Well, we did it, we got the first souvenirs, basecamp and peak, and on the last day!  Hubby and I are spending a week "vacation" (if you can call it that when we are retired!) and did manage to just squeak out the first "Reach the Peak" souvenir, with 4900 points!  Since we are in an area where we have lots of caches to find, we will likely get the second peak this week before we leave the area.  At home, we've cached out most of the close by ones, and further peaks may be more of a challenge.  We'll see how it goes.

I guess we don't qualify for the "unchallenge" on this series; we DID make an effort to find the caches needed for the first, and the second.  I do like the idea of the points needed increasing each month of the promo, and the point values, and emphasis on different cache types, changing each month too.

We've got the Basecamp for VInson; and will grab the caches in this area to qualify for the Peak souvenir in the next day or two.  Then wait for the next in early October...

• Surprised 1
On 8/31/2021 at 11:36 AM, Max and 99 said:

Read our Reach the Peak announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the challenge.

Mount Vinson is the tallest mountain on the continent of Antarctica with a height of 4,892 meters (16,050 feet) above sea level. Climbers typically climb Vinson during December and January, which is summer for Antarctica although temperatures that time of year are usually around -20°C (-29°F).

How do we get them to correct their math or switch C and F? 

• Funny 1