Upcoming geocache troubles in Marin County

Last night I spoke with one of my fellow ham operators and he gave me some rather troubling news. He works at a place that sells gps units and he said he had a guy who works for Marin County Parks (i asked and he said the guy is probably both city and county - but he recalled seeing an Open Spaces patch on the guy's shirt) came in and wanted to buy a bunch of gps units so they could go and remove geocaches as they don't want the land being torn up. So I guess in the future if we start seeing not found caches in the open spaces or parks, we will know why.

No time estimate on when they plan to start removing things. Sorry for the bummer news.

-Big Doggie

Boy, this burns me up. What an arrogant attitude the parks group is showing. Was the public consulted? Was there a hearing? And the paved parking lot at the top of Mt. Tam was of course built with minimal impact to the environment...

At a certain point in time, I think we may need to consider funding a legal challenge to the view that caches cannot be placed in parks.

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

If the caches are such a problem, then why do they need a GPS to find them? Sounds like they just want to play around with the technology and they came up with a cause.

My assumption is there's no LAW against Geocaches there... Is that true? Just wondering. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

I say have the folks from the Tri-Valley come and put some Livermore-class caches in the Marin Open spaces. A few plots on a Topo map, derivations of distance and forward azimuths, cryptogram solving, coffe-house searching, and conversions to/from UTM later, well, either the park rangers won't find the cache, or they'll feel so strongly that they've earned it, that they won't touch it as a point of pride. Build a cache which forces them to deal with the exact shape of the WGS-84 ellipsoid...

A new bumper sticker comes to mind... "Livermore: Sending cachers packing since 2001"... or "Livermore: It isn't your dad's Geocache"...

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

A new bumper sticker comes to mind... "Livermore: Sending cachers packing since 2001"... or "Livermore: It isn't your dad's Geocache"...

icon_biggrin.gif I am glad you enjoyed our little caches out here! I feel very fortunate to be a part of such a fun caching community. icon_cool.gif

How about creating Phantom Caches where cachers keep finding them but the Ranges can't. Of course, the phantom ''finds'' would have to be deleted after a while... But just think of the areas you could be sending them. Maybe they'd become the environmental problem, realize it and give up. icon_biggrin.gif

Again, My assumption is there's no LAW against Geocaches there. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

That makes me wonder about the ramifications of posting caches in Boulder Colorado and Colorado Springs Colorado where they are banned when no cache actually exists. Is there a 1st amendment right to post a series of numbers like, say, "N40 00.888 W105 16.886" on the Internet? icon_smile.gif

The Supreme Court once found that one's 1st amendment rights do not grant you the right to utter speech that causes harm, like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie house but there is nothing wrong with yelling "MOVIE" in a crowded fire house!! icon_wink.gif

Ozzyjazz Geek

Thanks for the warning Big Doggie. My two oldest caches are in Marin County open space land. I don't think I'm going to be in the area for the next month. I hope they survive that long. Maybe I'd be better off changing the coordinates and delisting them for the time being? Comments?

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

Drive them nuts, put out a Phantom Cache. Requirements are given that the prospective finder must locate you. Then check their profile, see how long they have been caching.

Blind Coordinates just to send them on a Wild Goose Chase. icon_rolleyes.gif

Or make several Virtuals and see if they can confiscate the park itself.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

... actually CONTACTED Marin Parks (Open Space) to find if this is true? Would be a good start before taking action on removing caches etc...

if it is true i like the idea of posting ghost caches, but instead post coordinates to the toilets in their parks, the park directors office, etc, places that will drive them crazy, lol.

aaahhhh, GPS terrorism, think the possibilities, lol. R2

having to do what the voices in my GPSr tell me to do...

Many areas have been through the "restricted geocaching" rules and regulations. I've been watching the posts since NC State Parks had to make rules (which is where my former ranger status comes from). Now it looks like Arkansas parks have made a rule. The problem is that parks don't understand how the sport works and there are some cachers who may place a cache in areas that they don't want. County/City parks have seemed to be easier to deal with than state parks. Did you know that caches are banned in National Parks? So on the local level you'd do better to walk in and talk to someone and get their support, so then you may not have to deal with all the rules. While Phantom caches sound like a lot of fun, if you iritate these folks, it may just make the restrictions worse.

or that's what I read in a book of quotes

No new news on this and I myself wouldn't be approaching anyone until a law is set up.

I think most of us geocachers (new and old) know better than to be hiding caches in places where it (the search for the cache) would be so far off trail that it wouldn't harm the plants, ground, etc. etc. It's not like we're talking about The Monkey Wrench Gang here and digging up supply boxes, just some of Mom's harmless Tupperware filled with white-trash and tacky little goodies.

In the words of Rodney - Can't we all get along?

Better to have a Broken Drum than a broken GPS.

See you all around there sometime -Big Dog

I work in government and I often have to obtain permission to access different properties, and Open Space Districts are often the hardest hurdle to jump. LOTS of paperwork and approvals, so it doesn't surprise me, BUT... I do think we as geocachers should talk to them, or at least open a form of communication, much like the caches in caves discussion that has been going on. Maybe we can find out what they think about geocaching and why. It may not be that they are worried about trampling up the land, it might be with the possible spread of Sudden Oak Death, or something quite valid.

elifish

I emailed the generic email on the Marin County Open Space districts website. I asked what the offical stance on geocaches on their property was and asked for a contact name, title and email. Hopefully they will respond and I will post the results here. In the meantime, the website I found is: http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/PK/Main/os/ospolicies.cfm

the email I used was: parksoscult@co.marin.ca.us

I advise anyone interested to do the same. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

elifish

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Boy, this burns me up. What an arrogant attitude the parks group is showing. Was the public consulted? Was there a hearing? And the paved parking lot at the top of Mt. Tam was of course built with minimal impact to the environment...

At a certain point in time, I think we may need to consider funding a legal challenge to the view that caches cannot be placed in parks.

We here in Arizona are suffering from the same problem in National Forest lands. This past weekend, rangers removed caches from the Superstition Mountains of Tonto National Forest, and they are planning to remove more caches as well. I am distressed by the arrogant and abusive actions of power-hungry government officials. You can read more about this by going to Az-Geocaching.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Tempe, AZ