Trails Map - What Data Source

Langy

The Trails Map is listed as using Open Source data.

When you search on this the only source I can find is the Open Street Map website. I've used this in the past to add in new paths for when I used my GPSr rather than the mobile which I now use these days.

I was out caching last night and the Trails Map had no sign of the footpath I needed to go on. When I checked another map that uses the Open Street Map the pathway was clearly marked on there.

Does anyone know how / where the source data is coming from on the Trails Map?

Does it really say "Open Source"?  Legally, it should be listed as "© OpenStreetMap contributors".

Anyway, yes, that map is based on OpenStreetMap, and BTW, thank you for enhancing the trails therein.  That map pulls fresh data from OSM only 2 or 3 times a year, as best I can tell, so you may need to be patient.

3rd-party caching apps, eg Cachly, offer more map choices, many (most?) with faster updates.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Thank you Viajero, that's good to hear. 

The Geocaching Map lists the map as "Trails Premium Open-Source street and trails maps that you can download and use offline"

As the only search result I found on Open Source maps was the Open Street Maps I have took it that was the source.

I'm surprised that they only update these 2-3 times a year as there are changes being applied to these maps daily and do make a world of difference.

5 hours ago, Langy said:

"Trails Premium Open-Source street and trails maps that you can download and use offline"

Ah, marketing stuff.  They can say whatever they want, as long as they give proper attribution as well; I assume they do somewhere.

BTW...  Premium open-source map on the left.  Off-brand map* that updates only every 3-4 months on the right.  I have to wait too...

(* openandromaps.org in an Android-only map/caching app.)

premium-map.jpg