How to log premium caches on a free account

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was any way of logging geocaches on a free account. I go geocaching with my family often and as we live in a very rural area, meaning the majority of the caches have a terrain level above 2. This means that they are locked to only premium members. 

My friend often comes with us too, and he has a premium membership, so we use his account when we go the premium caches (but he doesn’t always come with us). So I’m asking if there is any way for me and my family to log the premium caches on our accounts, as we don’t have premium and can’t afford it. 

• Funny 1

As a Basic Member using the Official Geocaching App, (and it sounds like that's the app you are using), only traditional caches with a difficulty and terrain rating of 2 or below, as well as events, will be available to you.

As a Basic Member, If you go to the Geocaching website using a browser, then you'll see all geocache types, involving all difficulty/terrain ratings, displayed. Take note of the coordinates, information, hints etc, and go and find the caches. You can log any of these caches via the website. The only caches you won't see are the ones the cache owners have marked as "Premium Member Only".

There are other apps for your device you could use for geocaching that will give you full access. Some are free while others have a cost.

https://apidevelopers.geocaching.com/partner-list

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
On 11/23/2021 at 10:19 PM, Lariliss said:

May I just go there and try to find?

You could do that but you won't have access to the description, hint or previous logs when you're out in the field. Also, if you find the cache, you won't be able to log your find via the app.

If you wish to remain a basic member, try one of the other apps available for your device.......

https://apidevelopers.geocaching.com/partner-list

On 11/23/2021 at 6:19 AM, Lariliss said:

Also if I am not Premium, the caches are still seen in the Official Geocaching App but in grey.
May I just go there and try to find? Or is it just a hint and I still need to use another app?

Thank you.

Are they truly "premium" caches?  Basic members, anything over 2 in difficulty /terrain could be "advanced" caches, not premium member only.

If they are simply "advanced" caches, you can get the coordinates, information, and hints, by using the website instead of the app.

7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Are they truly "premium" caches?  Basic members, anything over 2 in difficulty /terrain could be "advanced" caches, not premium member only.

If they are simply "advanced" caches, you can get the coordinates, information, and hints, by using the website instead of the app.

No premium cache can be seen on the official app so they are "advanced" cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 11/23/2021 at 6:19 AM, Lariliss said:

Also if I am not Premium, the caches are still seen in the Official Geocaching App but in grey.
May I just go there and try to find? Or is it just a hint and I still need to use another app?

Thank you.

Advanced caches are likely more than just a park and grab — not introductory caches for people who just now installed the App and maybe haven’t even gotten their account verified.  So as mentioned, try the web site instead. Those are caches that have proven to be the next level beyond New Cacher’s caches, so those caches are greyed out in the Official App.  It’s slightly less convenient to hunt those caches without paying for something, such as at least a 3rd-party App and also fully signing up with the site.  But I think it’s a pretty cool decision by TPTB that someone without even verifying an email address, just now testing the App, can’t immediately access all those caches.  Anyway, Advanced caches, being harder to find, may be frustrating at first.

So they’re also greyed out to show you what you’re missing within the App without a membership subscription.  That, and more features.  :P

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1