travel bug

nzusa

8 hours ago, nzusa said:

I purchased four travel bugs. Managed to activate three successfully. The fourth one keeps telling me not system. Is there away that I can overcome this or do I just cut my losses and throw that one away

If you are reading it right (which you say you are), then start over. From the beginning.

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Like Lee says, 1s and Is, as well as Ohs, and zer0s the main issues, but sometimes other letters  5 for s...

I'm dyslexic, so I mess up 3 for B all the time.   :D   Just play a bit.  Better than throwing it away.

+1

I've seen misprinted tags and coins, where a "G" or even a "O" looks more like a "C".

One mistake I still make all the time is not returning to the Trackable Search Box each time a code causes an error.  There's no place on that error page to type a Tracking Code, although the Tracking Code appears in the "Keyword" box as if you could continue searching.

It's ever so common to decide to "throw away" a confusing TB (even other peoples' TBs! :ph34r:).  But I've heard of a hobby where even an unwanted item can be placed into a hidden container for someone to find... and in the case of a TB, someone who may take on the challenge of deducing a difficult Tracking Code.  Why such things would ever be "thrown away" when most caches have plenty of room, I can't say.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Nope.... more often than not they are micros..... or a regular with more water than anything else...

OK, yes.  If you’re wishing to place TBs into Micros, wish again.  :anicute:

But almost never have I seen a Regular cache too full of swag to hold an average TB. Yeah, sometimes too full of water to risk placing a TB.  But even then, the OP has just a tiny aluminum tag to get rid of…

Edited by kunarion
59 minutes ago, kunarion said:

OK, yes.  If you’re wishing to place TBs into Micros, wish again.  :anicute:

But almost never have I seen a Regular cache too full of swag to hold an average TB. Yeah, sometimes too full of water to risk placing a TB.  But even then, the OP has just a tiny aluminum tag to get rid of…

Any you're supposed to do what with the toy/whatever attached to that aluminum tag????

1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

Any you're supposed to do what with the toy/whatever attached to that aluminum tag????

There's no toy in the OP's post.  I've seen a lot of cracked sandwich boxes listed as "Regular", they aren't suitable.  But I've found a ton of ammo boxes, dry and picked clean.  There's room.  If TBs are being "thrown away due to no room", the plan was always to throw them away.  "Room" was not the issue.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, kunarion said:

There's no toy in the OP's post.  I've seen a lot of cracked sandwich boxes listed as "Regular", they aren't suitable.  But I've found a ton of ammo boxes, dry and picked clean.  There's room.  If TBs are being "thrown away due to no room", the plan was always to throw them away.  "Room" was not the issue.

OK - I get that your response was specific to the OP; mine was more generic.  

2 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

OK - I get that your response was specific to the OP; mine was more generic.  

I made a TB a few years ago that was a stuffed toy duck that would just about fill an ammo box if you really tried.  My thought was that cachers would carry it around and pass it around, and that it may only occasionally be placed into a huge cache.  It was kind of like the car door TB I've seen at events, but a little less obnoxious.  I hoped that people wouldn't throw it away.  The idea was that there would be stories and photos of its travel.  Instead, it became more likely to be taken while less likely to be handled properly.  The Official Geocacher Response of "If I'm inconvenienced by something (or if I really like it), I remove it from the game" is curious, but common.  :ph34r:

[you have a cool sig line! :anicute:]