Covid, I hate you!

I'm not a fan of the vaccination, but to get back our life, we decided to do it. We got our certificates and could go out for lunch, cinema, cabaret, etc.

In 2020 our two planned trips to Greece and Flanders were both cancelled. Fortunately, we got back our deposit after a few months. But this year, we saw a nice round-trip by bus through Iceland. The trip had a route from Vienna, Austria to Hannover, Germany, then further to Denmark, with the ship Norröna to Iceland and after a round-trip around Iceland back to where we came from. Then I read on the website of the Smyril Line (the ship), that even vaccinated people have to make a test before entering the ship. Another test was necessary when entering Iceland, and another one 5 days later and on the way back home another one to enter the ship again. On the one hand I didn't understand why we had to make at least 4 tests for this trip, although we are vaccinated and on the other hand I was afraid of what might happen, if one of them was mistakenly positive.

A few days earlier I read that Iceland doesn't require a test from vaccinated people anymore, so I checked the website of the Smyril Line and it was the same there. So, we decided to book the trip, but the answer was, that "due to the current corona situation" the trip was cancelled. Grrrrrr!!! Of course, there are alternatives, but they are either within Austria, to countries, that we have already seen or to countries, where you can almost "smell" the next lockdown. So, it looks as if 2021 will also pass by without a trip worth mentioning. :mad: We still have a lot of photos of previous trips, but I was really hoping to add one or more countries to our map. (BTW: The maps on the map tab of the profile doesn't show up anymore because they seem to have been Adobe Flash). 

• Surprised 1
2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

On the one hand I didn't understand why we had to make at least 4 tests for this trip, although we are vaccinated and on the other hand I was afraid of what might happen, if one of them was mistakenly positive.

It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated, you still can get covid and you can infect someone else.  What about if you are positive and don't know it?

Numbers are going up again, Great Britain e.g. has now 322 / 100.000 with 31.382 new infections.  Many countries have restricted access and require special measures to get into country.

Best is, to stay where you are, spend your vacation there and just wait, till situation is clear and stable.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

So, it looks as if 2021 will also pass by without a trip worth mentioning.

Seems so the same for us. We had the first vaccination just yet, but the second one is six weeks later in August. We wanted to go to Sweden in our holidays, but that had to be canceled due to the fact that we didn't get a camper van for rent in January. So we had to settle for one week instead of three in a holiday home in Denmark which should start on Friday ...

But then came the rain. Lots of it ... Currently the water is rising in our cellar (see image) ... I don't know if I should cry

Keller-1.jpg

• Surprised 2
18 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated, you still can get covid and you can infect someone else.  What about if you are positive and don't know it?

Numbers are going up again, Great Britain e.g. has now 322 / 100.000 with 31.382 new infections.  Many countries have restricted access and require special measures to get into country.

Best is, to stay where you are, spend your vacation there and just wait, till situation is clear and stable.

I know that, and Iceland and the ship owners also. Nevertheless, they decided that vaccinated persons don't need a test anymore, but the Austrian travel agency canceled the trip. Besides, Iceland has very low numbers, as does Austria (for now). It was for good reason, why we didn't choose Great Britain, Spain, Portugal etc. for our next trip. Just take a look at COVID-19 Data Explorer - Our World in Data (great website!). Beside the low numbers, we chose Iceland because it is much less dangerous to stand (outside!) at a geyser in the middle of nowhere than to join an indoor party in the UK. And what annoys me the most is, that politicians say "Take the vaccination and everything will turn normal again" and that's just a lie (at least for now). And from what I have learned in the past 2 years, it will take a long time until the "situation is clear and stable". And talking about Great Britain: It's ok to gather thousands of people for the finals of the Soccer European Championship in a stadium, but it's impossible to have 50 people in a bus?

• Surprised 1
18 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Seems so the same for us. We had the first vaccination just yet, but the second one is six weeks later in August. We wanted to go to Sweden in our holidays, but that had to be canceled due to the fact that we didn't get a camper van for rent in January. So we had to settle for one week instead of three in a holiday home in Denmark which should start on Friday ...

But then came the rain. Lots of it ... Currently the water is rising in our cellar (see image) ... I don't know if I should cry

Keller-1.jpg

I saw reports about the floodings on TV. Horrible! One of my colleagues has an online friend and they met online for some gaming, but the woman from Germany just came online to tell my colleague that she has lots of water in her cellar and must take care of it. :-( You just have to be thankful, if nobody was harmed. And from what I heard on TV there are several victims already in Germany.

Edited by PISA-caching
2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

You just have to be thankful, if nobody was harmed. 

Thankfully nobody here was seriously injured. I got some bruises when I slipped on the wet stairs - but the whole house (8 families) managed to get the water out of the cellar. Many things stored in the cellar are wet now and we have to throw a lot of it away - but nothing that we can't replace in time to come.

Some colleages who work just a few kilometers away had it worse - they were evacuated by police and fire department by boat. 

So I am glad nothing more happened.

• Love 1