[Bug] missing logs in "Travel Bug Map" view

Hynz

It seems only "placed" and "took" logs are shown on that page (reachable by clicking on "View map" on every TB and Geocoin listing)

And since I'm here and while I don't have high hopes that the IMHO broken trackable system will ever recover from the misguided use of "took it" and "discover" logs, it would be so helpfull if I could filter out those logs from that view.

OK.... seems not to be a pressing issue ;)

Is it because I'm the only one experiencing this behaviour or that everybody (including HQ) already lost any interest in that pages since they are in so many cases basically unreadable anway?

So I'm talking about eg this page:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/map_gm.aspx?ID=1023357

I can only see "placed" and "took it to" logs. No "retrieved", "grabbed", "discovered" logs which are present on the paginated main page of the TB/Geocoin. Clearly a bug in my opinion.

But I would not complain if only "took it to" and "discovered" logs would be filtered out..... :)

2 hours ago, Hynz said:

I can only see "placed" and "took it to" logs. No "retrieved", "grabbed", "discovered" logs which are present on the paginated main page of the TB/Geocoin. Clearly a bug in my opinion.

But I would not complain if only "took it to" and "discovered" logs would be filtered out..... :)

You're saying that on the map page, only "placed" and "took it to" logs show up, while on the main trackable page, these plus "retrieved", "grabbed" and "discovered" are also present.

To me that makes sense.  Sorry!

A map is a series of locations that the trackable has visited. 

If an item was placed somewhere, you don't need to show where it was retrieved from, because it's the same place.

Being discovered isn't based on location, it's based on interaction between two geocachers, and it doesn't have to be at a cache/event.

"Grabbed" is also not based on a location, but on one cacher assuming possession of the trackable.  

In short, the map is showing the locations that it knows the trackable has been in the most succinct way possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

In short, the map is showing the locations that it knows the trackable has been in the most succinct way possible.

Thanks for your reply.

As you phrase it, it might indeed be seen as a new feature and not a bug. :mad:

But my point is, this unpaginated view including all logs and all log types was (even at times with much less "discovered" and "took" logs) basically the only somehow sensible way to scroll through the history of a trackable and to eventually detect interesting logs or particular issues.

But I guess you're right and this new way of presenting is welcomed by most......

On 7/29/2021 at 6:32 PM, Hynz said:

new feature and not a bug

This representation is by no means new. I have been geocaching for about 10 years and know both pages, the overview of all logs (i.e. the "homepage" of the trackable) and the exclusive movements of the trackable with a display on a map. It also makes sense in this representation alone in my eyes. Is it possible that you simply haven't "discovered" the map display yet?

Edited by Rampensau
On 7/30/2021 at 11:41 PM, Rampensau said:

This representation is by no means new. I have been geocaching for about 10 years and know both pages, the overview of all logs (i.e. the "homepage" of the trackable) and the exclusive movements of the trackable with a display on a map. It also makes sense in this representation alone in my eyes. Is it possible that you simply haven't "discovered" the map display yet?

Interesting.... I'm caching for 17 years ;) and could swear that the "map"-display always (and even some months ago) was a way to view *all* logs in a non-paginated view. I regulary use it. Maybe I'm getting old :blink:......

• Funny 1
On 8/2/2021 at 12:35 AM, Hynz said:

Interesting.... I'm caching for 17 years ;) and could swear that the "map"-display always (and even some months ago) was a way to view *all* logs in a non-paginated view. I regulary use it. Maybe I'm getting old :blink:......

We just celebrated our 20th "cacheaversary" last month, and I agree with you that they did appear on the map page at one time. I guess you and we will just have to get used to the way things are presented today.